• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Just got home from a Bullet for My Valentine concert. Made me remember why I used to love going to concerts so much. My ears remind me of the downsides. Goddamn it, sleeping's gonna be rough...
That creative break was just to get Fowler off the book so he could bring back Rockafort or whatever his name is.
If Rocafort did Rat Queens, I would be fucking thrilled.
Incidentally, it seems that the two "sides" in Civil War too are at least on the outset somewhat more reasonable than what they seem. Between Shi'ar fuckery, SHIELD Cosmic Cube fuckery, PEGASUS Cosmic Cube/ ISO fuckery, and Galactus showing her the flow of time as he sees it, I'm not unsympathetic to Carol maybe wanting to use someone's ability to see the future.
Ultimates is doing a great job on setting up Carol's side of things and also why Thanos shows up. However, Invincible Iron Man has done nothing to set up Tony's side of things. At all.
Any recommendations on stuff featuring Red Tornado?
I'm sure there's a Justice League run somewhere...

Ultimates is doing a great job on setting up Carol's side of things and also why Thanos shows up. However, Invincible Iron Man has done nothing to set up Tony's side of things. At all.

I feel like Tony may not have been the best choice to lead that team. Especially when this is the kind of moral stance that would traditionally be held by Captain America. Maybe Marvel didn't want a Captain vs. Captain event?

I am genuinely surprised that something like Nailbiter 7 ever happened. How the fuck does an editor justify letting that through? Dear gods.

I mean, sure, it's image, but... fuck.

diaspora

I didn't expect either side to be set up at all, much less Carol. Tony's received as much explanation as I expected, none.

I didn't expect either side to be set up at all, much less Carol. Tony's received as much explanation as I expected, none.

You can't really be surprised, though. The event as a whole is obviously a cash-grab intended to capitalize on the new Captain America film. It gives MCU fans the impression of an easy in to the comics.

diaspora

You can't really be surprised, though. The event as a whole is obviously a cash-grab intended to capitalize on the new Captain America film. It gives MCU fans the impression of an easy in to the comics.

What's surprising is that they explained Carol and even more that it was her over Tony the guy in the movie. I actually like Danvers so it's a pleasant surprise for me.

Giving Carol all the set-up was the smart play, since the whole thing is kind of a ripoff of the Minority Report and we all know how that turned out.

Now I'm at least willing to hear her out.

diaspora

It makes some sense too. Carol as an ambassador of Earth has to deal with the war games of other Space-Marvel parties like the Shi-ar, having a tool that lets her deal with Earth ending threats easier at least makes it worth considering regardless of whether or not one agrees.

I feel like Tony may not have been the best choice to lead that team. Especially when this is the kind of moral stance that would traditionally be held by Captain America. Maybe Marvel didn't want a Captain vs. Captain event?
Which is disappointing. A huge part of SamCap's book has been a rift between Steve and Sam (which didn't really feel like anything happened). Having Civil War 2 be between them would have been predictable, but way more fucking interesting than Iron Man vs. Captain Marvel. As it's been pointed out, Tony should not be leading the opposing team. Honestly, anyone could be more interesting than Tony in this opposition.
Problem here is that the first issue of Ultimates to feature the "Road to Civil War 2" headline has done more set-up than the past three issues of Invincible Iron Man, all of which sported the same aforementioned headline.
I'd like to think this could be a good event. This is just a case of the set-up and tie-ins are more likely to be better than the final product.

oni_saru

Halfway through Injustice Year Two Vol. 1. Man.

The only thing I hate about this series is that it's way too good. Like WAY better than it has any right to be.
Yesss!!! Injustice is really good! Got me replaying the story mode after i finshed the three volumes i have of it. Gotta get the rest of the available volumes!

BSherrod

Just got done reading the last Ultimates issue, I didn't expect that much lead in for Civil War II and I liked it. That Black Panther line was great.

Messi

Western Conference Finals Day!!!

500x1000px-LL-ab4253c4_ezgif-53533195.gif

My one complaint about ZY is that it's a prequel story. I have something of a bias against them.

My only gripe is that so long is spent on a prequel story. It feels weird to spend that long of a run on establishing past events. It was a good story and it needed to be filled in if it impacts the character different than what we're used to, but it still just seems odd.

New Avengers #4-#6: That's already three cop-outs close calls on the hard decisions.
(Use a one time infinitely-powerful item, Galactus and a dead planet.)

Black Swan and her motivations seem very intriguing though.

Avengers #6-#9: I am enjoying all the new characters that I am reading for the first time. A lot of the arcs seem like set-ups but it is a bit jarring to go from the urgency in New Avengers to the Avengers arcs.
Also, why is Spider-man being a dick. Is this from when Dr Ock had taken over?

With all the previous pages, the icon pages and the repeated foreboding panels (first there was light, then nothing), each individual issue seems very very short. Must have been a pain to read monthly.

It's a while before Avengers ties into New Avengers. You get the feeling New Avengers is the book Hickman wanted to write.

Yeah, I am having to realign my expectations of how interconnected these are. I keep finding myself looking forward to reading the New Avengers issues when I am reading the Avengers ones.

Considering the route many indie game threads go over on Gaming side, 4/6 pages of discussion is pretty successful IMO

Even mods are on 50ppp. What is this place coming to.

TheFlow

Banned
New Avengers #4-#6: That's already three cop-outs close calls on the hard decisions. (Use a one time infinitely-powerful item, Galactus and a dead planet.)

Black Swan and her motivations seem very intriguing though.

Avengers #6-#9: I am enjoying all the new characters that I am reading for the first time. A lot of the arcs seem like set-ups but it is a bit jarring to go from the urgency in New Avengers to the Avengers arcs.
Also, why is Spider-man being a dick. Is this from when Dr Ock had taken over?

With all the previous pages, the icon pages and the repeated foreboding panels (first there was light, then nothing), each individual issue seems very very short. Must have been a pain to read monthly.

Yeah, I am having to realign my expectations of how interconnected these are. I keep finding myself looking forward to reading the New Avengers issues when I am reading the Avengers ones.

Even mods are on 50ppp. What is this place coming to.

Damn I gotta catch up with you

v3 solicited!

Bandette Volume 3: The House of the Green Mask HC

Paul Tobin (W) and Colleen Coover (A/Cover)

On sale Oct 12
FC, 128 pages
$14.99
HC, 6" x 9"

Bandette, greatest thief in all the lands, uncovers the greatest of all mysteries: a clue to the location of the legendary House of the Green Mask! But the sinister Voice has set his sights on the same treasure and sent a deadly assassin after the same secrets! Worse, he's stolen the one thing dearest to Bandette's heart. Now, she's after revenge! (And also chocolate.)
• Eisner Award–winning Bandette returns to print!

Remembered that i had to read Brobaker's Winter Soldier
First ish pretty ho-hum spy stuff, until the very end, where "...a gorilla with a 50cal?"
And then the gorilla gets a jetpack in issue 2.

#goodcomics

Hi. Never read anything with the Inhumans, but heard good things. Is the 98-99 12 issue run a good place to start?

Yerp. The lettering is kinda blarf, but thats a solid run.

I always like to think Batman is 30-something, probably because he's such an authority figure and so experienced. Like maybe he was 12 when his parents died, did high school, went away to a fancy foreign college to learn Business so he can take over the family business(and train in his off hours cuz he didnt need money to work), came back at like 21 and thats when Batman Year One starts. Like he's probably in Batman: Year 15 or some shit by now.

Top Bottom