• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
lmao, I went and found it then maxed out all my neuromods. This should be fun, considering I'm only like two hours into the game.

I feel like I am flying now with the neuromod upgrades for movement. I haven't got the super sprint + jump yet but I got the two before that plus the left trigger slomo thing for combat and I can really move compared to before, especially combined with the mod that ups movement speed holding larger weapons. No doubt movement starts out stiff (stiffer than Bioshock for that matter), but feels like a good balance now, they probably balanced the game like this and made a bad call notching it down for an upgrade. Kind of like games where you have to unlock dodge roll and parry which is always the worst :/

Oops, top of the page and off topic, sorry guys lol. I'm going to read Injection vol 2 or some TMNT tonight though!

Messi

And Spec Spidey maybe? Can't remember. They seem to want to put out more double shipping $3.99 and $4.99 books in the future while people are still open to buy them for that price.

Interested in how well that new $10 Deadpool issue does in actual shops.

Edit: Wow, this "trailer".

Previous $10 Deadpools have sold the same or a little less than regular numbers which is hilarious.

And people wonder why Marvel keep doing it

Previous $10 Deadpools have sold the same or a little less than regular numbers which is hilarious.

And people wonder why Marvel keep doing it

They've sold to retailers in similar numbers but many stores have reported that end customer sales fell of after the $10 issues hit. So stores are being stuck with expensive inventory they can't offload.

#1 Marvel Husband:

riFxtFu.jpg
You know Kirby didn't approve that.

Fucking Stan Lee

Messi

How is regular Logan going to return? Old Man is really embedded in multiple books and has relationships now.

At least Steve and Odinson stuck around

Sandfox

They've sold to retailers in similar numbers but many stores have reported that end customer sales fell of after the $10 issues hit. So stores are being stuck with expensive inventory they can't offload.
The problem there is that success for Marvel is determined by how many the retailers order, so they need to order less if they want to show Marvel otherwise.
You know Kirby didn't approve that.

Fucking Stan Lee
There's a lot of stuff like that in FF and it's not all Lee. I'm not even sure if that is.
How is regular Logan going to return? Old Man is really embedded in multiple books and has relationships now.

At least Steve and Odinson stuck around
We'll find out I guess.

Vic_Viper

Will probably just break out of that statue and then the next year of books will deal with his return. Battle for the Cowl with Logan, Daken, Laura, Old!Logan, Ultimate!Jimmy, Jonathan and Gabby :p

Edit: Sales time!

LOL only 3 mainline Marvel books made it on the list.

And I have no idea what they can do to bring Logan back. He is the only Legacy character that doesnt really have an easy way to come back. The only thing I can think of is some sort of time travel like the OG X-Men but even that wouldnt feel right unless it was right before he "died". Plus once they bring him back, what do they do with Old Man Logan lol.

I really hope Marvel is putting in alot of effort into Generations and Legacy. DC really nailed it with Rebirth. I just dont see Marvel pulling it off as well as they did.

What would be my idea is to use the end of Secret Wars and have Mr Fantastic and his son make a new world, or show that they had made a second world and have the new character travel to it and meet up with the Legacy characters.

Sandfox

LOL only 3 mainline Marvel books made it on the list.

And I have no idea what they can do to bring Logan back. He is the only Legacy character that doesnt really have an easy way to come back. The only thing I can think of is some sort of time travel like the OG X-Men but even that wouldnt feel right unless it was right before he "died". Plus once they bring him back, what do they do with Old Man Logan lol.

I really hope Marvel is putting in alot of effort into Generations and Legacy. DC really nailed it with Rebirth. I just dont see Marvel pulling it off as well as they did.

What would be my idea is to use the end of Secret Wars and have Mr Fantastic and his son make a new world, or show that they had made a second world and have the new character travel to it and meet up with the Legacy characters.
I think that would piss people off.

Wolverine isn't that hard to bring back.

Sandfox

I mean I agree. I think whatever they do will piss people off tbh. We will just have to wait and see what they decide I guess.
The best solution imo is to go traditional with the classic heroes and have them coexist with the legacies. No need for new earths.

smisk

Someone on twitter tried to make an argument that if the X-Men Prime artist got fired for his offensive beliefs then Nick Spencer should to.

Lol, I got into a bit of a discussion with someone on twitter about that yesterday. I don't think the two cases are really comparable but they still made some interesting points. Ultimately I haven't read hydra-cap so I don't really have a dog in the fight, other than that I like Spencer's writing in The Fix.

shingi70

Banned
Injustice the game had a pretty poorly written story that came off as Batman is right fan wank. Taylor did wonders with the comic to give all the characters layers and not be cartoonishly evil.

Legacy should be interesting, Curious to see how Marvel plans to to juggle what works with the legacy aspect.

Can't argue with that. Time Runs Out was a momentum machine.

And there's just something about those squid-headed ladies that does it for me. Templesmith needs to get in on this.

I feel like I am flying now with the neuromod upgrades for movement. I haven't got the super sprint + jump yet but I got the two before that plus the left trigger slomo thing for combat and I can really move compared to before, especially combined with the mod that ups movement speed holding larger weapons. No doubt movement starts out stiff (stiffer than Bioshock for that matter), but feels like a good balance now, they probably balanced the game like this and made a bad call notching it down for an upgrade. Kind of like games where you have to unlock dodge roll and parry which is always the worst :/

It took me a while to fabricate all those fucking neuromods. I can actually dig in tonight and see what my superwoman is capable of.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Have any Giant Days fans checked out John Allison's other book Bad Machinery?

It's a kids solve detectives sort of deal, and I'm 2/3 of the way through the first volume and I'm really enjoying it.

Charlotte is giving Daisy a run for her money as my favorite character of his.

smisk

Looking at these Marvel sales is a bit depressing. But now that Black Widow is over the only thing I'm pulling from them is Spider-Man (Miles) and Black Panther. Plus all the Star Wars titles. Not getting anything from DC though, maybe I should fix that? Is there a reasonable place to jump in?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at these Marvel sales is a bit depressing. But now that Black Widow is over the only thing I'm pulling from them is Spider-Man (Miles) and Black Panther. Plus all the Star Wars titles. Not getting anything from DC though, maybe I should fix that? Is there a reasonable place to jump in?

All of their books got reset around this time last year, so starting with any rebirth issue and then jumping into their ongoing series is a good place to start.

Superman's been my favorite but Green Arrow has been great too. Batman opinions vary, but I think that it's been ramping upwards.

Mafro

Are you joking lol? Especially considering how things have been at Marvel since he left...

Personally, I loved his Avengers run. So much so I went back after Secret Wars and read through all of his FF run. While it wasnt as grand as his ideas in Avengers, it was still an awesome run.

My only gripe is that Marvel didnt follow through well enough after Secret Wars ended. It was the perfect setup to do their "Rebirth" and botched the job hard with ANAD instead.

Edit: My bad, didnt see this before my outburst lol.
Legit my favourite ever period in comics, so many good runs in that Marvel NOW! relaunch:

Avengers
New Avengers
Infinity
Secret Wars
Uncanny Avengers
Fraction's FF
Superior Spider-Man
Thor

Plus Waid's Daredevil and Fraction's Hawkeye were ongoing then.

The difference in quality in Marvel then and now is like night and day.

shingi70

Banned
Post Legacy, Not only should the Avengers become the flagship title again, but maybe the roster shouldn't be made up of so many characters with their own books.

Mafro

Marvel ended with Secret Wars
Basically.

Post Legacy, Not only should the Avengers become the flagship title again, but maybe the roster shouldn't be made up of so many characters with their own books.
I don't even know what was meant to be the flagship title of the last relaunch.

For Legacy it seems obvious they should go for the classic roster plus a few others, no doubt with Captain Marvel shoehorned in there of course.

Messi

Have any Giant Days fans checked out John Allison's other book Bad Machinery?

It's a kids solve detectives sort of deal, and I'm 2/3 of the way through the first volume and I'm really enjoying it.

Charlotte is giving Daisy a run for her money as my favorite character of his.

I am assuming we are removing Esther from being named as favourite as it is unfair to everyone else. Right?

Sandfox

I expect whatever book Jason Aaron is working on to be the flagship title. It could be an Avengers book with a more traditional roster, or something else.
Basically.

I don't even know what was meant to be the flagship title of the last relaunch.

For Legacy it seems obvious they should go for the classic roster plus a few others, no doubt with Captain Marvel shoehorned in there of course.
Carol is a classic Avengers member so I wouldn't really call that shoehorning.
What exactly are Nick Spencer's beliefs?
Some people are convinced that he's either a Nazi or a Nazi supporter.

Sandfox

That Daredevil run worth reading in full? Been meaning to get more into street-level stuff like DD, but the ANAD run kinda left me feeling blah.
The ANAD run has improved a lot and is really strong now.

Pretty much every Daredevil run is considered to be really good so there are a lot of choices with the character.

What exactly are Nick Spencer's beliefs?
Spencer seems to believe in a kind of moral equivalency between oppressors (e.g white supremacists, nazis) and the people who oppose them with literally the only question being one of methods. Thus his defense of Rick Spencer after he got punched, and thus why his "allies lost WW2 and then retconned it with a cosmic cube" thing in Secret Empire pissed me off so much because it really seemed to play into that.

dan2026

Spencer seems to believe in a kind of moral equivalency between oppressors (e.g white supremacists, nazis) and the people who oppose them with literally the only question being one of methods. Thus his defense of Rick Spencer after he got punched, and thus why his "allies lost WW2 and then retconned it with a cosmic cube" thing in Secret Empire pissed me off so much because it really seemed to play into that.
I can see how that would rile people up if true.

Also the allies using the cosmic cube thing. Is that due to the Red Skulls fuckery?
Or is he saying the allies always lost but cheated so they won?

If the latter I can see how that could be kinda insulting.

Nudull

Banned
Kid Kaiju seems like a really cool character with a book that would've worked with a decently-sized kid/teen hero-loving audience, but coming off of a disappointing event like Monsters Unleashed certainly did not help. Naming said character's solo book after said event doesn't help either.

Sandfox

I can see how that would rile people up if true.

Also the allies using the cosmic cube thing. Is that due to the Red Skulls fuckery?
Or is he saying the allies always lost but cheated so they won?

If the latter I can see how that could be kinda insulting.
There's still a lot we don't know. It could just be what Steve believes or something more.
Kid Kaiju seems like a really cool character with a book that would've worked with a decently-sized kid/teen hero-loving audience, but coming off of a disappointing event like Monsters Unleashed certainly did not help. Naming said character's solo book after said event doesn't help either.
I've heard kids like the book, but I don't expect it to last.

"Monsters Unleashed, the spinoff from Monsters Unleashed" is the most comics marketing thing ever.

Aizo

Banned
I was flying in between continents on free comic book day, so I'm just SOL? Comixology or something didn't offer a way to get them digitally? I wanted to read a few :(

also guys how is jessica jones atm?

Decent. Closer to the old Alias, while being firmly in the MU.

It's a good story and I look forward to seeing what Chip can do with the book, but Marvel...just have Peter and MJ get back together already. This shit is embarrassing.

You have Renew Your Vows. Clutch tightly to it and do not sin on my doorstep any longer.

It's beautiful isnt it.

DIVINITY_ZERO_COVER-C_HENRY.jpg

Valiant's superteam, the Known Unknowns.

DC to Marvel
7b4626ce5e4d9527805a14658c734bd5.320x135x52.gif

116 Gwenpool 14 $3.99 Marvel 17,972
117 Mighty Captain Marvel 4 $3.99 Marvel 17,893
118 U.S. Avengers 5 $3.99 Marvel 17,880
120 Ultimates 2 6 $3.99 Marvel 17,350
121 Doctor Strange Sorcerers Supreme 7 $3.99 Marvel 16,887
128 Hawkeye 5 $3.99 Marvel 16,031
139 Nova 5 $3.99 Marvel 14,525
190 Occupy Avengers 6 $3.99 Marvel 10,296
196 Unstoppable Wasp 4 $3.99 Marvel 9,780

Fucking hell Marvel, you are the Roman Reigns of Comic Companies.

Marvel has a number of books that should be selling higher that are trending around mid-range, while all of DC's strong pillars are performing.

Honestly, looking over the numbers, it's impressive how DC has managed to goose things by shipping its $2.99 marquee books twice a month. Marvel should steal the idea, as it worked out for them this month with Old Man Logan (at $3.99 no less). Otherwise, the stuff that has always sold continues to sell well.

Below the cutoff, we have Hellblazer, Sam Cap, Gwenpool, Captain Marvel, US Avengers, Superwoman, Ultimates 2, Doctor Strange Team, Hawkeye, Cho Hulk, Spider-Man 2009, Elektra, Silver Surfer, New Super-Man, Black Panther World, Nova, Silk, Thunderbolts, Kingpin, Cyborg, Blue Beetle, Rocket Raccoon, Power Man/Iron Fist, Supergirl: Being Super, Bullseye, Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77, Bombshells, Star-Lord, Captain Atom, Moon Girl, Gotham Academy, and most of the Hanna Barbera stuff.

The silence is finally broken on the new BPRD series in this extra short interview

Click

The juicy details are that
Abe!
and
Ashley Strode!
will both play important/central roles in the plot. The book is going to be very focused on it's main narrative this time round, without a lot of side arcs or the more ambling nature of Allie's Abe Sapien ongoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom