• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Loving the Fantastic Four by Byrne Omnibus. How can you not look at this crazy cover and get pumped to read it

I6PZl1.jpg

Byrne was seriously such a great artist. Truly the successor to Neal Adams.

TheFlow

Banned
this marvel sale is so weak on CMX.

ROAD TO SECRET EMPIRE. yet it only gives you the first Steve Rogers arc (1-5) and Sam Wilson (1-13)

dafuq. you could get caught up faster on Marvel Unlimited for a fraction of the price.

Batman #22 a.k.a. The Button #3
This was just a really emotional issue. Nothing very complex, but very emotional.
For Thomas to tell Bruce to not be Batman anymore is powerful. That Batman is misery and loneliness and that family is where it's at is powerful. We've also seen that kind of thing with Nightwing.
Very emotionally charged. Overall just well-crafted comic.

Nightwing #20
This was fantastic. Seeley putting in work like no other. This man understands Dick on a fundamental level that few others do. Absolutely brilliant.
And Shawn is gonna be fucked up for a good while.
Fantastic

Green Arrow #22
This plot has become more ridiculous than previously thought and yet still manages to keep it grounded. This shit is intense. Also can Emi and Damien get into a series together? The egos alone would cause the very pages to tear.

Superman #22
MAMA KENT AIN'T NOTHIN TO FUCK WIT

Also that ending
fucking Frankenstein never left! That explains how Cobb knew about Frankenstein even though he clearly shouldn't have. That and the fact that THE WHOLE TOWN HAS BEEN REPLACED BY POD PEOPLE. Which I called, by the way

Shit this book is too good

TheFlow

Banned
Batman #22 a.k.a. The Button #3
This was just a really emotional issue. Nothing very complex, but very emotional.
For Thomas to tell Bruce to not be Batman anymore is powerful. That Batman is misery and loneliness and that family is where it's at is powerful. We've also seen that kind of thing with Nightwing.
Very emotionally charged. Overall just well-crafted comic.

Nightwing #20
This was fantastic. Seeley putting in work like no other. This man understands Dick on a fundamental level that few others do. Absolutely brilliant.
And Shawn is gonna be fucked up for a good while.
Fantastic

Green Arrow #22
This plot has become more ridiculous than previously thought and yet still manages to keep it grounded. This shit is intense. Also can Emi and Damien get into a series together? The egos alone would cause the very pages to tear.

Superman #22
MAMA KENT AIN'T NOTHIN TO FUCK WIT

Also that ending
fucking Frankenstein never left! That explains how Cobb knew about Frankenstein even though he clearly shouldn't have. That and the fact that THE WHOLE TOWN HAS BEEN REPLACED BY POD PEOPLE. Which I called, by the way

Shit this book is too good
I agree so much.

I think this is going to be the nightwing run to beat.

Moon Knight #13
Pretty good issue. That's about all I have to say. Series lost all momentum for me and now I'm just waiting for it to be done.

Black Panther #13
Okay this issue was cool as fuck. Pulling me back in!
I agree so much.

I think this is going to be the nightwing run to beat.
Dixon still holds strong for me, being that he effectively defined the character, but thid will definitely be up there. Especially after Higgins' run. Ugh was that not good

VanWinkle

I'm curious about the Fantastic Four by Fraction Omnibus. I haven't really heard anything positive about the first part of his run (Fantastic Four #1-16) but I've heard pretty good things about the second part (FF #1-16). Can anybody give me their thoughts on the content within and whether it's worth the ~$40?

Megatron

Loving the Fantastic Four by Byrne Omnibus. How can you not look at this crazy cover and get pumped to read it

I6PZl1.jpg

Byrne was seriously such a great artist. Truly the successor to Neal Adams.

Well..... yes.... Byrne was a great artist. One of my favorites without a doubt......

But that cover is Walt Simonson.

jurgen

I'm curious about the Fantastic Four by Fraction Omnibus. I haven't really heard anything positive about the first part of his run (Fantastic Four #1-16) but I've heard pretty good things about the second part (FF #1-16). Can anybody give me their thoughts on the content within and whether it's worth the ~$40?

FF is good. Fantastic Four isn't.

Fraction wrote a great Scott Lang.

error4041

Gwenpool is too good for us. It is utterly amazing how a book about a Deadpool/Spider-Gwen Character mash-up manages to be one of the best comics being written right now. The blend of dark comedy and emotional gutpunches with memorable characters make the book so satisfying to read.

haha damn, just woke up and saw the HB news. David Harbour's manager really wants him in more genre stuff right, he was Cable for a hot minute there, wasn't he?

Thoughts: Huge HB fan obviously, huge GDT fan but honestly, while visually Pan's Labyrinth or Crimson Peak GDT totally fits HB & his world, it feels like we always got Pacific Rim GDT. Pacific Rim is a great movie, don't get me wrong, but the HB movies always felt WAY off tonally, and I'm honestly not that commited to Perlman. Like I say, it doesn't feel like Perlman even really played *the* HB with the tone, doesn't really feel like we got *the* Abe, Liz, shitbag Johann etc. They were good movies for the time imo and probably wonderous for the franchise's profile so I wouldn't thumb my nose too hard at them but basically, I can take a reboot here, I can take recasting etc. I'm pretty much like okay, show me what you've got.

Thought though: HB is honestly not that well suited to other mediums. Too long form and subtle in it's storytelling for a 2-3 hour movie. Visuals and content are too strange to not look shitty and be too expensive to fit tv (although TV seems like the best fit to me, whereas movie seems like the only viable place for the BPRD and it's level of action in my mind). Too adult for animation (again though..animated tv series, maybe). HB is this unique slow burn over 20 years which is perfect for comics, as a comic. I am not a visionary though, just a consumer, so there is likely some guy out there who KNOWS what to do with this franchise to nail exactly what the comic is and convert it onto film though, so I'm totally up for being shown that way.

Also R rating is interesting. The comics do have all sorts of weird fucked up content in there, although honestly the stuff they get away with in a 15 these days makes me wonder if R rated is needed. Maybe it's needed just for Liz, every time she says something haha.

Honestly though, blah blah blah, this could be awesome, and I would love for a HB movie thing with Hellboy, a BPRD movie, a witchfinder or Lobster movie. There;s so many unique awesome ideas there that would be fresh to audiences and stand separate to what Marvel or DC do. Imagine Rise Of The Black Flame as a movie? Or The Island? Damn.

Oh, had a look at the director and that's at least promising. I love the battle of castle black episode in GOT, plus I really liked those episodes of Black Sails (rewatching that series from the beginning right now, so just watched those recently), the guy can direct. Interesting to see who scripts.

haha damn, just woke up and saw the HB news. David Harbour's manager really wants him in more genre stuff right, he was Cable for a hot minute there, wasn't he?

Thoughts: Huge HB fan obviously, huge GDT fan but honestly, while visually Pan's Labyrinth or Crimson Peak GDT totally fits HB & his world, it feels like we always got Pacific Rim GDT. Pacific Rim is a great movie, don't get me wrong, but the HB movies always felt WAY off tonally, and I'm honestly not that commited to Perlman. Like I say, it doesn't feel like Perlman even really played *the* HB with the tone, doesn't really feel like we got *the* Abe, Liz, shitbag Johann etc. They were good movies for the time imo and probably wonderous for the franchise's profile so I wouldn't thumb my nose too hard at them but basically, I can take a reboot here, I can take recasting etc. I'm pretty much like okay, show me what you've got.

Thought though: HB is honestly not that well suited to other mediums. Too long form and subtle in it's storytelling for a 2-3 hour movie. Visuals and content are too strange to not look shitty and be too expensive to fit tv (although TV seems like the best fit to me, whereas movie seems like the only viable place for the BPRD and it's level of action in my mind). Too adult for animation (again though..animated tv series, maybe). HB is this unique slow burn over 20 years which is perfect for comics, as a comic. I am not a visionary though, just a consumer, so there is likely some guy out there who KNOWS what to do with this franchise to nail exactly what the comic is and convert it onto film though, so I'm totally up for being shown that way.

Also R rating is interesting. The comics do have all sorts of weird fucked up content in there, although honestly the stuff they get away with in a 15 these days makes me wonder if R rated is needed. Maybe it's needed just for Liz, every time she says something haha.

Honestly though, blah blah blah, this could be awesome, and I would love for a HB movie thing with Hellboy, a BPRD movie, a witchfinder or Lobster movie. There;s so many unique awesome ideas there that would be fresh to audiences and stand separate to what Marvel or DC do. Imagine Rise Of The Black Flame as a movie? Or The Island? Damn.
Ha, was waiting for you to wake up and see the news. :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am annoyed by R-Rated Comicbook movies at this point because the "fans" of it make is appear as a R-Rating is the only thing that is important.

Not giving a shit about this anyway tbh, the two best parts of the other movies are gone.
Really curious why Hollywood seems to shit on Del Toro for the last years. Must have been some kind of fallout.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
By the way, Donnie, this will probably deal with The Queen of Blood, so it may not even include any of the BPRD cast.

Ha, was waiting for you to wake up and see the news. :)

Haha, first time in awhile I didn't need coffee to get me going in the morning!

By the way, Donnie, this will probably deal with The Queen of Blood, so it may not even include any of the BPRD cast.

I just saw this, I missed the subtitle before (and flow even mentioned it up the page lol) So that's interesting, how they would go about getting into the Nimue stuff, since she kind of ends up being the villian that represents the cumulation of everything over the years, prior to In Hell. It would honestly maybe be a good idea to actually pick up post The Island and dorp hints, feature flashbacks etc to whatever parts of the HB lore/history they plan to use prior to that point. Just go in with HB ambling around England and dragged in all the stuff that kicks off with Darkness Calls and keep the cast down. If the movie does well, that could be their point to go off and do a BPRD movie, and not necessarily have to go through the act of HB, Abe & Liz and the whole breakdown of his relationship with the BPRD in the present day of the movies. Could be a cool way to do it? If they plan to cram it ALL in while also doing Nimue up front from the get go, uh, yikes haha. Like I said above though, HB is so out there, I don't think I'm going to see how it works until they show me and I go ".....yes" and there it is.

It would actually be such a good call to start at a different point to the old movies, even if it skips some great stuff. They can never adapt it all as a movie series, and they can always use that time jump to their advantage as they tease and deal out HB's long and complicated history on his shoulder. Why did HB run away kind of thing etc the Fegredo stuff works as your starting point and trilogy though as a rough plan

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really curious why Hollywood seems to shit on Del Toro for the last years. Must have been some kind of fallout.
There certainly isn't any mistreatment of Del Toro with regards to Hellboy. The facts have been the same for nearly a decade, his Hellboy movies simply didn't make enough money to justify the even bigger budget he wanted for a third installment. We're talking $160m globally for Hellboy 2. That same year and from the same studio, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor did $400m, which couldn't justify continuing the series either. People act like Del Toro keeps getting wronged, but his box office record just doesn't support the kinds of budgets he keeps asking for, whether for a third Hellboy or a risky R-rated adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness.

skybald

Deadpool v. Punisher #2
I guess I will see this series out, it being only 5 issues. The first issue was good, this issue did nothing for me though. Deadpool had 2 ok jokes, but there is nothing interesting about the Punisher. the issues are kind of thin and still seem to drag. I heard Seeing someone outside there costume was a big reveal, but since I don't know who they are, it didn't do anything for me.

Oh, had a look at the director and that's at least promising. I love the battle of castle black episode in GOT, plus I really liked those episodes of Black Sails (rewatching that series from the beginning right now, so just watched those recently), the guy can direct. Interesting to see who scripts.
Mignola is involved with the scripting along with Andrew Cosby and Christopher Golden. So that's a pretty good sign already.

Mindwipe

Spencer seems to believe in a kind of moral equivalency between oppressors (e.g white supremacists, nazis) and the people who oppose them with literally the only question being one of methods. Thus his defense of Rick Spencer after he got punched, and thus why his "allies lost WW2 and then retconned it with a cosmic cube" thing in Secret Empire pissed me off so much because it really seemed to play into that.

Not going to lie, I've never really understood the difference between "the allies were going to lose the war until they created/found and worked hard to utilise a cosmic cube" and "the allies were going to lose the war until they used a dangerous cocktail of drugs to create a super soldier who turned the tide at least a dozen times" in terms of outrage.

tim1138

Mignola is involved with the scripting along with Andrew Cosby and Christopher Golden. So that's a pretty good sign already.

Like I was saying on Twitter, while I enjoyed the original movies, I'm thrilled at the thought of something more in line with the comics. No more of Abe with psychic powers, no Hellboy/Liz romance, give me something truer to the source material.

I missed that too. I guess I really do need the coffee to get the cogs turning haha. Well that's pretty exciting Mignola and Golden onboard with Cosby, who I would assume is the actual versed movie script writer? Better than I would have assumed already haha. Here's hoping it all comes together dude. Not convinced movie is the perfect medium but there is a lot there that there could be fun had with.

Like I was saying on Twitter, while I enjoyed the original movies, I'm thrilled at the thought of something more in line with the comics. No more of Abe with psychic powers, no Hellboy/Liz romance, give me something truer to the source material.

Total agreement here dude. No more cats or banging his face off lockers etc lol

shingi70

Banned
Not going to lie, I've never really understood the difference between "the allies were going to lose the war until they created/found and worked hard to utilise a cosmic cube" and "the allies were going to lose the war until they used a dangerous cocktail of drugs to create a super soldier who turned the tide at least a dozen times" in terms of outrage.

Well in the original comics the creation wasn't due to the Allies losing the war, it was colored by look how great put War RND department is and we would have won the war sooner if not for foreign agents killing Erskine before he could detail his process.
-----

If marvel and Spencer were smart one of the chief comments of secret empire would be the racism and all the worst parts of Hydra seeping out of Cap's regime.

I missed that too. I guess I really do need the coffee to get the cogs turning haha. Well that's pretty exciting Mignola and Golden onboard with Cosby, who I would assume is the actual versed movie script writer? Better than I would have assumed already haha. Here's hoping it all comes together dude. Not convinced movie is the perfect medium but there is a lot there that there could be fun had with.
Agreed on everything lol. While I did think the movies were fun, I just don't think they really captured the real essence of the universe, so I'm more than open to a new take even if it does mean no GDT/Perlman. Not sure how involved Mignola was with the original movies either, so him being so open about scripting and that has me excited.

Unrelated to this conversation, but I started reading the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons again last night, and it's really cool so far. Abaddon, the creator, is doing a lot of really cool worldbuilding and lore. I would definitely give it a recommendation to people into stuff like Hellboy actually. The linework is a bit rough at points so far, but the character design for the angels, demons, etc. are really cool:

Image also has a trade out for the first book and it's pretty nice too. Only problem is that the lack of gutter space makes some panels a bit hard to read.

VanWinkle

Well..... yes.... Byrne was a great artist. One of my favorites without a doubt......

But that cover is Walt Simonson.

Haha, well I love Simonson, too, so that's all good with me! I was more just speaking of the art in the book in general though and not the cover (though the cover got me excited for the issue to come).

FF is good. Fantastic Four isn't.

Fraction wrote a great Scott Lang.

What was not good about Fantastic Four?

Got this in the mail last week

ABP01.jpg

Forgot how good Busiek's run was. Also this thing has Avengers Forever in it, which is one of my all time favorite Avengers arcs.

One of them involves the allies using phenomenal cosmic power to alter reality while leaving things like the Holocaust in.

Unrelated to this conversation, but I started reading the webcomic Kill Six Billion Demons again last night, and it's really cool so far. Abaddon, the creator, is doing a lot of really cool worldbuilding and lore. I would definitely give it a recommendation to people into stuff like Hellboy actually. The linework is a bit rough at points so far, but the character design for the angels, demons, etc. are really cool:

Image also has a trade out for the first book and it's pretty nice too. Only problem is that the lack of gutter space makes some panels a bit hard to read.

This looks great! I've had a little look at it before, I was kind of holding off until volume 2 later in the year, but your mention of the gutter thing....I hadn't thought about that lol. Maybe I'll just read the web comic after all.

Did any of you guys ever watch the animated HB movies? They had Kate in them, which was pretty <3 I thought they were kid friendly though and I put one on for my boy when he was 6 or 7 ,and I came back in to a section of the movie that was adapting Heads, the story where HB is in Japan and he stays the night at the house with all the headless demons, and it was the exact moment the guy is telling the *funny* story about the farmer and his wife, which is actually hilariously dark but definitely not child appropriate. I literally ran to turn the tv off.

Welp, didn't get my copies of the JSA omnibuses vol 2 and 3 so I contacted the seller and they had lost it in the mail and can't locate it. At least I'm getting a full refund but the price has skyrocketed now...

BC: An update on Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom