• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Witchfinder vol. 4, by Chris Roberson. This is much more like it. I've been pretty worried about Roberson's arrival in the Mignolaverse, his Exorcist story & BPRD 1953 really didn't do too much for me. To his credit though,both of those jobs involved Roberson stepping in on other writers abandoning ship (Cameron Stewart & John Arcudi respectively), particularly the Ashley Strode story wasn't actually conceived by him.

So anyway, Witchfinder was the actual thing he originally pitched to DH to get on the Mignola books and the one he said he was most passionate about, and it really shows. Witchfinder, while a great character and good set of stories so far, is probably the most inconsistent line from the Mignolaverse, uncharacteristically bouncing between creators. First it was Mike himself, then Arcudi, then Kim Newman & Maura McHugh. Both volume 2 & 3 felt really different from the first book with Grey's character being tweaked a bit each time, but with this book it really feels like the team have dialled in on what made vol 1 so good and a proper followup, both in tone and in story. Everyone here kind of reads Mignola stuff at different paces so I'll keep off the plot but it's been great so far and is hooking into the greater lore in some exciting ways, bringing back some characters that haven't appeared in some time (
the vampire Giurescu & the african shaman Mohlomi
if you're interested in a tease), while continuing Sir Edward's trials against the helioscopic brotherhood. Another factor in feeling cohesive with what came before is the return of Ben Stenbeck, who cut his teeth on Witchfinder, before moving onto a length run on Baltimore.

Overall, so far, great stuff. If this is the rhythm, Roberson has settled into, then I'll be much more pleased for his presence on the books. I've got The Rise Of The Black Flame here, so I'll find out soon.

shingi70

Banned
Detective Comics #956
I was not expecting this to end this way, I'll say that.
Ra's with a damned sniper rifle capping Shiva. We have a lot of mystery here. We have Ra's' grand plans that caused Shiva to go rogue; What Shiva said to Cassandra; What Ra's did to Bruce's memory (or rather, what he took); And then we have why the hell Ra's has an army of Man-Bats.

Great issue.

Justice League of America #6
Good issue. MacDonald's art didn't bother me in the issue like it did in the last. I can't say why. What I can say is that this arc was okay, though it did have some nice character beats. My biggest things:
What's Ryan doing with Lobo?
I also love how Orlando writes Batman like a huge dick, just so he can write Vixen and Canary humbling his ass. I also enjoyed Caitlyn reading a cryogenics book by Victor Fries.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #10
As corny as this was, with the way they defeated Blackbird, the rest of the issue was pretty enjoyable. I also really liked the chemistry between everyone here. It really shone more than the previous issues.

Since the new 52
Ninja Manbats have been a big thing in the league.

Aizo

Banned
Can't stop reading Kill or be Killed. I should be asleep.
Eh. I don't think you really need to, but you should because it's some good fucking comics. Stop after the Blackman and Williams run is over though. It turns into butt poop after that.
I want to read them anyway, but my friend I buy comics with wanted to know if they were essential.

Messi

Can't stop reading Kill or be Killed. I should be asleep.

I want to read them anyway, but my friend I buy comics with wanted to know if they were essential.

They reeeeeeally aren't. Space blanket lesbian rapey vampires and the assassination of Kate and Maggies relationship.

I finally started digging into Bendis's Guardians now that I got the last chunk of it on sale. I had read some of the early issues before and mostly forgot them because it's been years, so all of this was fresh.

I've read through to the end of The Trial of Jean Grey at this point, and this seemed like a good point to pause and comment. Up next is when they started using the movie design for Star-Lord, added Venom and Captain Marvel, and had a FCBD issue.

So far it's really not very good at all. It keeps feeling like the characters are talking about stories in other books I'm not reading instead of participating in their own story in this one. Bendis sets up the conflict with Star-Lord's father early on, but that hasn't progressed one bit since it was introduced. I have to assume Hickman's Avengers is the thing being referenced most often, but they never come right out and say so, so I don't know. The book also had tie-in issues for Infinity, which were nothing but space fighting with no context, and Angela got shoved in early on too, but that's another thing that just happened without follow-up or development.

The Trial of Jean Grey was an improvement, but that's really an X-Men story that the Guardians really had nothing to do with.

It's been a very long time since I've read a book so directionless and empty. I'm hoping it picks up with these changes I'm getting ready to dive into.

B-Dex

Ok guys I want opinions:

I'm tempted to try X-Men Gold and/or Blue and Royals.

Which should I try first?

Or maybe just all 3 since they are new.

Aizo

Banned
Weird seeing all these places I'm very familiar with in Kill or be Killed. Didn't expect it to have a scene in Port Chester. Weird!
They reeeeeeally aren't. Space blanket lesbian rapey vampires and the assassination of Kate and Maggies relationship.
I don't mean I want to buy the last volumes everyone hates. I mean the first 4 of new 52. Are we talking about the same thing?

Messi

Weird seeing all these places I'm very familiar with in Kill or be Killed. Didn't expect it to have a scene in Port Chester. Weird!

I don't mean I want to buy the last volumes everyone hates. I mean the first 4 of new 52. Are we talking about the same thing?

First 4 are incredible. After that... Do not waste your cash.

They force it so much when they only hope that people will like the Inhumans, so I can't imagine how out of control they would be if they found some success with any of it. It's dangerous to encourage them.

I finally started digging into Bendis's Guardians now that I got the last chunk of it on sale. I had read some of the early issues before and mostly forgot them because it's been years, so all of this was fresh.

I've read through to the end of The Trial of Jean Grey at this point, and this seemed like a good point to pause and comment. Up next is when they started using the movie design for Star-Lord, added Venom and Captain Marvel, and had a FCBD issue.

So far it's really not very good at all. It keeps feeling like the characters are talking about stories in other books I'm not reading instead of participating in their own story in this one. Bendis sets up the conflict with Star-Lord's father early on, but that hasn't progressed one bit since it was introduced. I have to assume Hickman's Avengers is the thing being referenced most often, but they never come right out and say so, so I don't know. The book also had tie-in issues for Infinity, which were nothing but space fighting with no context, and Angela got shoved in early on too, but that's another thing that just happened without follow-up or development.

The Trial of Jean Grey was an improvement, but that's really an X-Men story that the Guardians really had nothing to do with.

It's been a very long time since I've read a book so directionless and empty. I'm hoping it picks up with these changes I'm getting ready to dive into.
Have you read the Original Sin tie-in issues yet?

mreddie

Link?

Edit: Oh god, just saw DC's.

At least their's make sense!

Mahvoo legit deleted theirs, wonder why...

XQjjBRZ.png

HXxWf4z.png

kpSTOVG.png

JAN HAS NO KIDS!
Technically

Megatron

Yo, issue #9 of Batman rebirth was so good that I think I'm going to start collecting these in trade.

[edit]

Did I just add Batman Rebirth volume 1-2, The Doom that Came to Gotham, Gotham by Gaslight and Ego to my wishlist? Yes, yes I did.

I just got bitten by the Batbug again. Maybe I'll actually get Batwoman this time.

At what volume does Batwoman 52 stop being good? I've heard that Rucka and the artist leave it at some point. And how's the Rebirth Batwoman?

Rucka doesn't write new 52 bat woman. That is written by JH Williams and W. Hayden Blackman, with Williams providing most of the art. The team leaves after the fourth trade (issue 24) and it turns to shit after that. But the first four volumes plus elegy are all excellent.

Haven't read rebirth BW.

Yo, issue #9 of Batman rebirth was so good that I think I'm going to start collecting these in trade.

[edit]

Did I just add Batman Rebirth volume 1-2, The Doom that Came to Gotham, Gotham by Gaslight and Ego to my wishlist? Yes, yes I did.

I just got bitten by the Batbug again. Maybe I'll actually get Batwoman this time.

At what volume does Batwoman 52 stop being good? I've heard that Rucka and the artist leave it at some point. And how's the Rebirth Batwoman?

The Rucka/Williams III run is pre-Flashpoint (getting a reprint). Williams III/Blackman runs up until #24 in New 52

Rebirth BW is good so far. They're going in a really weird direction but I trust the writers and artist

Malyse

I wonder how many more DCEU films and shows need to fail before they give up on the concept? Maybe if Justice League flops they'll go back to the drawing board.

Ross61

I wonder how many more DCEU films and shows need to fail before they give up on the concept? Maybe if Justice League flops they'll go back to the drawing board.
Are they still giving them a boatload of money? If the answer is yes than none. JL stands a snowflakes chance in hell of flopping.

People would have to stop going to see them and stop buying merchandise for that to happen.

I'm pretty sure Messi alone can keep a Sirens franchise afloat.

shingi70

Banned

None of them have been out right failures, BvS underperformed but still made a boatload of cash through Merch and home media.

Suicide Squad was a runaway success on all fronts

Outside of Powerless all of their shows do decently in ratings and are very successfully in streaming and international rights.

Finished up Witchfinder and went straight on to Rise Of The Black Flame. Those are two of the best side entries into the Mignolaverse in some time, really really great stuff. Witchfinder finds it's path again while tying bits and pieces together, marching further towards the inevitable conclusion we find Edward Grey at in the Hellboy books. Already wrote a bit on it but all in all, it's a real solid entry to the series.

Rise Of The Black Flame does a similar job, beginning with a great page 1 montages cycling through the different moments and periods in time we've met The Black Flame previously, and settling on a ritual being conducted deep in the jungles of Bangkok in 1923. Black Flame really feels more ambitious compared to Witchfinder though, it feels like Roberson getting comfortable and starting to flex his muscles, not happy just to tie previous characters and locations together, but introducing some brand new really likeable characters, and following their expedition into unexplored corners of the HB universe and watching them come face to face with ancient and creepy long forgotten horrors is a real exciting experience.

Chris Mitten's art is gorgeous, bringing each location to life, conveying subtle (and not so subtle) expressions from the cast and just killing the blistering finale sequence. I don't really know what to say about Dave Stewart at this point, other that he's at the absolute top of his game as always, and is the true silent star that strings all the books together.

Overall, top stuff. Rise Of The Black Flame might be my favourite side book to the series since Frankenstein Underground, and a great addition to the Mignola library. I'm still not sold on Roberson as a fit with HB himself, but his writing style really suits these stories, and I really hope he's working on more Witchfinder.

Malyse

None of them have been out right failures, BvS underperformed but still made a boatload of cash through Merch and home media.

Suicide Squad was a runaway success on all fronts

Outside of Powerless all of their shows do decently in ratings and are very successfully in streaming and international rights.

Powerless is the only DCEU show. The rest are in another universe.
What happened now?

Powerless got canned and I still am conflicted about Wonder Woman. I want more female superhero movies, but I don't want more of the Snyderverse and I don't want to reward bad movies (which I think it probably will be, because the DCEU is a fucking trash fire)

Ross61

Powerless wasn't a DCEU show.

And how do you reward bad movies and still watch and praise current DCAU? We're more alike than you think.

Vic_Viper

Remember the days when DC/WB wasnt trying to build a massive franchise and Extended Universe? Back when their only goal was to create a new Batman movie and decided to go with an up and coming director without any large budget film experience. They were able to make a massive success with Chris Nolan directing Batman Begins, and the only studio mandate was that he had to have a "Bat-Mobile" lol.

Instead of rushing these movies out the door they could have so much more success. Even Marvel is starting to realize that these movies are becoming harder and harder to interconnect and starting to let the projects stand on their own from now on. This will obviously never happen now with DC/WB.

I hope Justice League ends up being successful. DC has some amazing properties that could work really well on the big screen.

Donnie, do you know how much the Library Editions of Hellboy usually cost? Feeling tempted to pick the first one up due to the movie news...

Malyse

Remember the days when DC/WB wasnt trying to build a massive franchise and Extended Universe? Back when their only goal was to create a new Batman movie and decided to go with an up and coming director without any large budget film experience. They were able to make a massive success with Chris Nolan directing Batman Begins, and the only studio mandate was that he had to have a "Bat-Mobile" lol.

Instead of rushing these movies out the door they could have so much more success. Even Marvel is starting to realize that these movies are becoming harder and harder to interconnect and starting to let the projects stand on their own from now on. This will obviously never happen now with DC/WB.

I hope Justice League ends up being successful. DC has some amazing properties that could work really well on the big screen.

DC needs to realize that they don't need to do the Thanos thing. Everything shouldn't and doesn't need to be building to a confrontation; they should be trying to tell good stories for their characters instead of building a universe. I hope they see the success of GotG2 and use that as a direction to take future films in.

But mostly, I want them to kick Synder out. He has a 15 year old's understanding of mature storytelling.

-----

On an unrelated note:
Forever Red is basically the Black Widow movie we're never going to get.

Donnie, do you know how much the Library Editions of Hellboy usually cost? Feeling tempted to pick the first one up due to the movie news...

Mmm not sure what the price would be in your currency dude, but £30 here from a quick check!

Looks like stock has dipped a little, folks maybe feeling the same way!

Powerless is the only DCEU show. The rest are in another universe.

Powerless isn't (wasn't) a DCEU show. None of them are.

In fact, I think the only thing that might be DCEU is Krypton - but that's because of design stuff (the Man of Steel-ish "S" Glyph, someone was holding/using an MoS-style Command Key).

The Flash Rebirth #1, #1 - #8 was actually not bad. I enjoyed the new villain and the concept of multiple speedsters. Wonder why the original Wally disappeared into the background. I thought this would be the one series he would stick around in.

Mmm not sure what the price would be in your currency dude, but £30 here from a quick check!

Looks like stock has dipped a little, folks maybe feeling the same way!
It's Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil that's the first one, right?

Need a photo of your Mignola collection one of these days :)

It's Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil that's the first one, right?

Need a photo of your Mignola collection one of these days :)

Yup, that's right! The last *main* HB library collection is in October so now is a nice time to check in, something to work through at your own pace and it'll all be out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom