• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I'm loving DC right now! They're making good moves creatively and pr wise. When they make a move I don't like than I can call them on it.

Hell I'll give you a freebie. I think DC should fire EVS and stop working from him altogether because of recent events that have come to lite, and continual employment is a very poor choice. Also I don't like how we've not gotten any concrete Milestone progress. There should be more diversity books and creators. And we should start seeing more work from the Writers/Artist workshop crew.

And Poodlestrike did praise the Blue Beetle book recently.

No criticism about a single book? You like Justice League? Harley? Fucking Hellblazer?

I can't, my friend...I just can't.

It's sad when the only Rebirth book I liked was Arrow and I assumed Deathtroke wasn't for me and then, I picked Flash over it.

And then Flash sucked and I heard DS was the shit.

Flash has not been good or even interesting. The shitty current season of the show is better than the comic. The Button stuff is the first good storyline in months.

When I jumped back to the April 2016 thread to see how we felt about DC then, Ross actually posted he hoped Rebirth would get DC back on track!

That's how bad it was!

Yep. I think I spent the previous two years just laughing at all the awful DC decisions. When some of the Rebirth books ended up being decent, I was honestly amazed. Only touched Snyder's Batman before then.

BB did indeed start rough, but the editorial team managed to get Giffen to tone down the banter and, well, Giffen-isms after issue... I wanna say 4 or so? Will have to double check at some point.

Anyway it's a lot better now. Solid Blue Beetle shenanigans.

Glad you're liking it, but I followed your advice and blindly bought the full New 52 run right as the Rebirth book came out. I made it through two issues. Fool me once!

Ross61

No criticism about a single book? You like Justice League? Harley? Fucking Hellblazer?

I can't, my friend...I just can't.

Flash has not been good or even interesting. The shitty current season of the show is better than the comic. The Button stuff is the first good storyline in months.

Yep. I think I spent the previous two years just laughing at all the awful DC decisions. When some of the Rebirth books ended up being decent, I was honestly amazed. Only touched Snyder's Batman before then.

Glad you're liking it, but I followed your advice and blindly bought the full New 52 run right as the Rebirth book came out. I made it through two issues. Fool me once!
Only the books I bolded I disagree with, I been hearing good reception about the GL books, but the rest you mentioned are trash/mediocre.

Only the books I bolded I disagree with, I been hearing good reception about the GL books, but the rest you mentioned are trash/mediocre.

By god, some good old fashioned criticism of bad DC books! I'm feeling this.

I feel like I'm the only Aquaman fan. In general.

💩

I read up to issue #13. Nothing was really grabbing me. It might have improved, but I consider that giving it a fair shot.

I want to like the character but he does seem limited by his powers.

I feel Rebirth Flash has been shit because it's the same Speedster vs. Speedster shit from the show.

21 issues and I can't recall one consequential moment in the series. It's like those CW episodes that are clearly filler...only that's all we're getting in the comic. This shoehorned Watchmen stuff has been the most memorable story element, and Flash feels like a supporting actor to Batman even in his own book.

Excuse you?

Meet me someplace motherfucker.

Go back and read them, friend. The same cringey teen dialogue you hated in the Rebirth one-shot is everywhere. At least they were on sale.

giphy.gif

Aizo

Banned
Do I need to read new 52 Batwoman before Rebirth detective comics? Are there many plot points from then mentioned? I've only read her origin in detective comics before new 52.

Do I need to read new 52 Batwoman before Rebirth detective comics? Are there many plot points from then mentioned? I've only read her origin in detective comics before new 52.

Eh. I don't think you really need to, but you should because it's some good fucking comics. Stop after the Blackman and Williams run is over though. It turns into butt poop after that.

kmfdmpig

The problem with Marvel is a problem with Disney. Marvel shouldn't be operating for the purposes of being a successful publishing division, because the bigger picture is what's so much more important. They stand to make billions off movies and merchandising and all this other stuff that makes the comics publishing look like a drop in the bucket. But those comics are the source material for these things that actually make the money, so for the comics division, they should focus strictly on quality and paying creators very well. Because attracting good creators and letting them do good work pays off later when you have better material to adapt for more lucrative endeavors. They should see the entire comics division as an investment, not as its own business.

I'm surprised that WB and Disney haven't really gotten to that point yet. The real money to be made in comics is not in selling 22 pages at a time, but selling toys, shirts, and movies. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't focus less on the comics themselves, but they should be OK with a comic just breaking even, or even taking a loss if they think that in the long term it's good for the character or could lead to a movie down the road. I mean if the margin for success is 10,000 extra issues sold ($30,000 dollars, some of which goes to the store, some goes to the printers, some to buying paper, etc..) then who really cares if a comic loses a bit if it helps keep the character relevant, builds backstory that could be used in movies, etc... The amounts of money on the comic book side are so minuscule compared to the movies that a rounding error for a film is more significant than months of comic sales.

Dropped Strange Girl. Reads like a 15 year old Reddit poster working their way through religion.

I feel like I'm the only Aquaman fan. In general.

💩

I just finished reading Aquaman v1. I will post my review tomorrow. Hopefully by then the aftertaste has gone away.

Every new Rebirth trade I've read makes the whole thing feel a little more disappointing. Still have The Flash, Green Arrow and Nightwing to read over the weekend. Hopefully one of them is good.

Sadly, I dropped it and I've also been wary about King Batman too, Button is first time I see both series get praised.

King Batman started rough, but picked up significantly after the first arc. Then we had Rooftops, which was great, and then I am Bane which was excellent. It took a while for King to find his feet but find them he did.

So, after a break from it to catch up on other stuff, I just watched the S1 finale of The Magicians, and all I have to say is WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHOW EVEN?

I don't get it. I can't comprehend the directions this show has gone into. And not in a fun, nonsensical, Lewis Carrol way. I mean in a fucked up Frank Miller way.

I haven't read everything, but about 80% of their mainline books. The Superman books, Deathstroke, and Green Arrow are my most anticipated each month. Detective is dropping fast. Batman is a huge letdown, but I can't label it trash.

Terrible:
Justice League
Justice League of America
Harley
Blue Beetle
Hellblazer
Cyborg

Mediocre:
Hal Jordan
Green Lanterns
Supergirl
Flash - why am I still reading this?
Batgirl
Suicide Squad

Need to make a new category for Cyborg after that last issue because it was honestly the worst professional comic I have ever read. That rap sequence alone makes the entire run unrecommendable because no one should ever have to read such cringe. And all the villains Cyborg fights are lame af. H8-Bit? Rat Lord? Rattack? And what do we have to look forward to in upcoming issues? Fucking Fyre Wyre. I've finally dropped the book.

For floppies?

I don't miss them at all. I'll buy graphic novels, but I tend to stick to hardcovers. Floppies? I'm glad to leave the longboxes behind.

For floppies?

I don't miss them at all. I'll buy graphic novels, but I tend to stick to hardcovers. Floppies? I'm glad to leave the longboxes behind.
Literally the only floppies I might buy this year are The Button issues for the lenticular covers.

Just woke up to the Crew news, man. This sucks.

Messi, when's Black Magick starting again?

VanWinkle

I want to go digital so bad but I'm a sucker for physical copies. Am I crazy?

I don't like floppies. There's no good way to display a bunch of them and there are ads.

Trades/hardcovers, though, I love them. They are definitely my preference over digital.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I fucking hate comics.

Catching up on Rebirth Batman and just got to #8 and I see that this is part four of the new arc, which I find REALLY weird since the arc started in #7. I check to make sure and #7 is part 1 but #8 is part 4, so, what the fuck? Was this a crossover and I need to read Nightwing or some bullshit for the other parts?

It's like they make comics hard to get into on purpose.

[edit]

Goddammit, I do have to read Nightwing and Detective Comics.

I wish crossovers and events weren't a thing, it's so disruptive. Now instead of just reading this Batman arc with the same writers and artists, I have to read a bunch of people's take on this arc, while switching art styles every issue. Are there actually people who like doing this? I sure don't.

I fucking hate comics.

Catching up on Rebirth Batman and just got to #8 and I see that this is part four of the new arc, which I find REALLY weird since the arc started in #7. I check to make sure and #7 is part 1 but #8 is part 4, so, what the fuck? Was this a crossover and I need to read Nightwing or some bullshit for the other parts?

[edit]

I wish crossovers and events weren't a thing, it's so disruptive. Now instead of just reading this Batman arc with the same writers and artists, I have to read a bunch of people's take on this arc, while switching art styles every issue. Are there actually people who like doing this? I sure don't.
You don't have to read any of it. It's a bad arc that is completely inconsequential, so you should skip all of it and continue with King's actual run.

I fucking hate comics.

[edit]

I hate it too and completely stopped buying Superman comics when the DOOMED crossover happened and Detective Comics with Night of The Monster Men. It is ass, all these crossovers need to be contained to one book or released as miniseries.

The Lazarus Contract is trying my patience too. I don't buy Titans or TT for a reason dammit.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yo, issue #9 of Batman rebirth was so good that I think I'm going to start collecting these in trade.

[edit]

Did I just add Batman Rebirth volume 1-2, The Doom that Came to Gotham, Gotham by Gaslight and Ego to my wishlist? Yes, yes I did.

I just got bitten by the Batbug again. Maybe I'll actually get Batwoman this time.

At what volume does Batwoman 52 stop being good? I've heard that Rucka and the artist leave it at some point. And how's the Rebirth Batwoman?

Don't really know. I am looking forward to Gail Simone's new book Crosswind though.

This has been a pretty weak year for new Image titles for me. Pretty much only Curse Words and Extremity have stuck for sure and maaaaaybe Old Guard.

It's definitely been quieter than their past run of years but so many of those books are still going, I'm kind of glad. The majority of the books I read and consider quality are Image books or Dark Horse, and the number I'm following these days is pretty high. I need a few to finish up before they announce another load of must haves. That said, I'll definitely be grabbing Extremity when it hits trade, looks great.

The alternating title crossovers thing hasn't bothered me much in Rebirth, but purely because DC collect them competently in collection.

Lemire's Family Tree & the two Ales Kot books are probably the most interesting from their last set of announcements, and Family Tree could be quite popular.

Yeah, this is so dumb that I think I'm just going to do that...

Or, alternatively, you could just check out the Night of the Monster Men trade.

These crossovers are part of what makes cape comics awesome, honestly. Makes the world feel big and consequential. So long as it doesn't get excessive, at any rate.

Or, alternatively, you could just check out the Night of the Monster Men trade.

These crossovers are part of what makes cape comics awesome, honestly. Makes the world feel big and consequential. So long as it doesn't get excessive, at any rate.

The DC Rebirth crossovers are pretty functional too, you see where they give the teams on the double shipping books time to get a lead.

So Aquaman v1. It's got characters behaving more stupidly than a CBS procedural who trying to get a renewal for a 10th season. It's got one issue of Aquaman and Mera throwing tanks at helicopters. It's got Aquaman and Mera and Superman having a round table conference while punching each other in the face. It's got Black Manta and Aquaman reaching a stale mate via a two page conversation*. International diplomacy coming straight out of a shitty Orson Scott Card novel. The volume tries to do to Aquaman what Priest did to Black Panther, and fails badly. 0 interest to read the second volume. Dropped.

* I am sure the conversation was essentially
lol, DC editorial won't let us kill each other.

Following someone's recommendation here, going to start reading Kill Six Billion Demons since i need something to binge.

Yea, Ty's been reading this, it looks really awesome. I was holding out for the print volume but I might just read the web comic. Looks very Stokoe, Graham kind of wheelhouse.

I fucking hate comics.

[edit]

I skipped Monster Men and didn't feel like I missed out on anything when I picked up Batman again.

My list for this week:

Archie #20
Batman #23
Flash #22
Poe Dameron #15
Star Wars #31
Wild Storm #4

shingi70

Banned
This weeks List

Aquaman #23
Batman #23
Batwoman #3
Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye #8
Flash #22
Green Arrow #23
Green Lanterns #23
Super Sons #4
Superman #23
Teen Titans #8

Detective Comics #956
I was not expecting this to end this way, I'll say that.
Ra's with a damned sniper rifle capping Shiva. We have a lot of mystery here. We have Ra's' grand plans that caused Shiva to go rogue; What Shiva said to Cassandra; What Ra's did to Bruce's memory (or rather, what he took); And then we have why the hell Ra's has an army of Man-Bats.

Great issue.

Justice League of America #6
Good issue. MacDonald's art didn't bother me in the issue like it did in the last. I can't say why. What I can say is that this arc was okay, though it did have some nice character beats. My biggest things:
What's Ryan doing with Lobo?
I also love how Orlando writes Batman like a huge dick, just so he can write Vixen and Canary humbling his ass. I also enjoyed Caitlyn reading a cryogenics book by Victor Fries.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #10
As corny as this was, with the way they defeated Blackbird, the rest of the issue was pretty enjoyable. I also really liked the chemistry between everyone here. It really shone more than the previous issues.

Detective Comics #956
I was not expecting this to end this way, I'll say that.
Ra's with a damned sniper rifle capping Shiva. We have a lot of mystery here. We have Ra's' grand plans that caused Shiva to go rogue; What Shiva said to Cassandra; What Ra's did to Bruce's memory (or rather, what he took); And then we have why the hell Ra's has an army of Man-Bats.

Great issue.

Justice League of America #6
Good issue. MacDonald's art didn't bother me in the issue like it did in the last. I can't say why. What I can say is that this arc was okay, though it did have some nice character beats. My biggest things:
What's Ryan doing with Lobo?
I also love how Orlando writes Batman like a huge dick, just so he can write Vixen and Canary humbling his ass. I also enjoyed Caitlyn reading a cryogenics book by Victor Fries.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #10
As corny as this was, with the way they defeated Blackbird, the rest of the issue was pretty enjoyable. I also really liked the chemistry between everyone here. It really shone more than the previous issues.
'Tec:
Remember the bats from back during Incorporated? Maybe from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom