• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, that's right! The last HB library collection is in October so now is a nice time to check in, something to work through at your own pace and it'll all be out there.
Need to check the dimensions of my bookshelf this week to see if I can fit all of them in one of my "squares" later. Still sad the last 2 JSA omnibuses got lost in the mail and I didn't get a notice until a month later. :( Still haven't gotten a refund...

Mmm not sure what the price would be in your currency dude, but £30 here from a quick check!

Looks like stock has dipped a little, folks maybe feeling the same way!
They go up and down. Dark Horse does a good job at keeping them in print. I panic bought the last three because of it, and of course they all got reprinted lol. Still, beautiful books and totally worth buying. The felt covers, big and thick pages, and sewn binding make them worth the money and space. Definitely my favorites that I own along with those gorgeous BPRD hardcovers. Only ones that really come close are my Edena Library Edition (DH too of course) and maybe 5000KM Per Second.

They go up and down. Dark Horse does a good job at keeping them in print. I panic bought the last three because of it, and of course they all got reprinted lol. Still, beautiful books and totally worth buying. The felt covers, big and thick pages, and sewn binding make them worth the money and space. Definitely my favorites that I own along with those gorgeous BPRD hardcovers. Only ones that really come close are my Edena Library Edition (DH too of course) and maybe 5000KM Per Second.
Have anyone checked out those new Alien volumes to see how high quality they are?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i couldn't make it through spider island

can i just pick up at graveyards? i am in the mood for some breezy spidey comics in the runup to Homecoming

I never did it the last time, plus I just got a new phone this week, so here's my shelf I guess. I am largely digital these days, plus I thought I was going to be moving so a lot of stuff got moved and then removed once my lease was renewed:

b206CuM.jpg

GXsPGvH.jpg

I never did it the last time, plus I just got a new phone this week, so here's my shelf I guess. I am largely digital these days, plus I thought I was going to be moving so a lot of stuff got moved and then removed once my lease was renewed:
You need a larger shelf for all those books. :p

Need a photo of your Mignola collection one of these days :)

Ask and you will receive! I did try to put them all on the one shelf but they literally won't fit anymore, having to do HB universe and non HB universe separately now >_< I assume it'll all merge at some point again. Updated with this weeks additions!

Haha you probably made the right choice man, you never really know with comics when that'll be *it* and you're looking at $$$$ on ebay. Look at the BPRD HCs. They do honestly look fantastic, I purely skipped them initially because I didn't anticipating loving the series so much and I favoured catching up quicker. Now it's just a pain because it's paying for stuff I already have. They do look incredible though, super jealous of everyone that has them.

Totally agree about DH HCs btw, the Dept. H hardcover is gorgeous. I haven't had any experience with Fantagraphics, but I really like DH & IDW's quality in trades and HC.

Hey, nevermind comics, you've got some great novels up there. You can never have enough King, Gaiman or Pratchett & I see all three names.

You need a larger shelf for all those books. :p

I'd need a bigger apartment first! I have the same Marvel collection GAMEPROFF does but in English. It's all boxed up because at 120 hardbacks it's enormous. I'm also collecting a Judge Dredd collection which is probably going to end up a similar size.

In fairness, a lot of them are presents. People buy me books 90% of the time. I gave three full boxes to a charity shop about a year ago but they still keep coming. I also ask for "your favourite book" from any Secret Santa so those have built up over time.

Ask and you will receive! I did try to put them all on the one shelf but they literally won't fit anymore, having to do HB universe and non HB universe separately now >_< I assume it'll all merge at some point again. Updated with this weeks additions!

Haha you probably made the right choice man, you never really know with comics when that'll be *it* and you're looking at $$$$ on ebay. Look at the BPRD HCs. They do honestly look fantastic, I purely skipped them initially because I didn't anticipating loving the series so much and I favoured catching up quicker. Now it's just a pain because it's paying for stuff I already have. They do look incredible though, super jealous of everyone that has them.

Totally agree about DH HCs btw, the Dept. H hardcover is gorgeous. I haven't had any experience with Fantagraphics, but I really like DH & IDW's quality in trades and HC.

Hey, nevermind comics, you've got some great novels up there. You can never have enough King, Gaiman or Pratchett & I see all three names.
That sure is a nice collection~ Did you end up buying that recent DC by Mignola volume btw? Think you'd like that and the Alien story he did.
I'd need a bigger apartment first! I have the same Marvel collection GAMEPROFF does but in English. It's all boxed up because at 120 hardbacks it's enormous. I'm also collecting a Judge Dredd collection which is probably going to end up a similar size.

In fairness, a lot of them are presents. People buy me books 90% of the time. I gave three full boxes to a charity shop about a year ago but they still keep coming. I also ask for "your favourite book" from any Secret Santa so those have built up over time.
I'm the same. My current bookcase is like 50% of my books. The rest are in the cellar storage, in a smaller bookcase with some of my moved out sister's books she didn't want to bring with her and some others in two drawers next to my bed.

Jesus Christ Tetrax. Those shelves are en embarrassment. Buy more shelving.

That sure is a nice collection~ Did you end up buying that recent DC by Mignola volume btw? Think you'd like that and the Alien story he did.

You know, I haven't, but thanks for reminding me about that, I need to note it down somewhere or I won't remember. I'm not familiar with his DC work at all, I love they're putting that stuff out though, that and the cosmic odyssey book. Really would like that Alien book too, and still need to get the amazing screw-on head. I feel like I have all his stuff but there's still bits and bobs out there.

Jesus Christ Tetrax. Those shelves are en embarrassment. Buy more shelving.

I know. Price and distance are the big problems for me. If I wanted to go to IKEA I would have to hire a van and also bribe someone with a van license as the only one in the whole country is in Dublin and that's at least three hours away for me, and that would be on the motorway the whole way. Everywhere local is a small boutique place that costs a fortune. I only have this shelf because I got it from an old work colleague!

Also I'd have to get someone to help me for a day as I live on the top floor with super narrow stairs the whole way. When I got my office chair, the delivery guy refused to park outside the apartment, he went two streets away and I nearly died by the end. Though it didn't help that some prick kicked me in the kneecap while I was trying to carry the box.

I just have too much stuff. I'm in the process of liquidating my DVD and Blu-Ray collection (I sold all my console games last year except for family friendly stuff which I gave to my nephews), I have an entire closet of unbuilt LEGO plus my art portfolios from college, my wardrobe is bursting even after donating tons of my clothes, it's a nightmare. I think I gave a ton of gaming side a stroke when I gave them the list of the games I bought last year as well, along with Launchpad.

No Argos in Ireland? They'll usually hand delivery stuff. Them or Tesco. It's not the best stuff but a good cheap alternative to going to and bring stuff back from IKEA.

No Argos in Ireland? They'll usually hand delivery stuff. Them or Tesco. It's not the best stuff but a good cheap alternative to going to and bring stuff back from IKEA.

The nearest Argos is about an hour away, if they'd deliver then I'd look into that. No Tesco near where I live.

They wanted to build one awhile back but there's already a Dunnes, two SuperValus, an Aldi and a Lidl and it's not exactly a huge town.

I just need to work on my budgeting in general. The combo of finally earning a decent wage along with cutting out most of the vices I had has wreaked havoc on me. I was on emergency tax for the first three months of my job and got it all back two weeks before Christmas. It got ugly.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Rucka/Williams III run is pre-Flashpoint (getting a reprint). Williams III/Blackman runs up until #24 in New 52

Rebirth BW is good so far. They're going in a really weird direction but I trust the writers and artist

The Batwoman Elegy trade, which I believe Rucka wrote if Instocktrades is correct, was pre-flash point and then everything after Elegy is William II/Blackman?

Ya'll comics are hard.

[edit]

Elegy is volume 1, but it's pre-flashpoint, and volume 2 is with the new team but it's post-flashpoint.

Why are they considered part of the same series!? I swear DC/Marvel do this just cus they love fucking with people.

Owzers

Books on top of books...looks like a mass grave of mistakes.

Time to move back from Earth-29 to Earth-0.

I read the Multiversity Guidebook yesterday so this got a big laugh from me.

"Pointless, inexplicable and utterly futile adventures" are what this thread runs on.

Books on top of books...looks like a mass grave of mistakes.

A monument to all my sins. I'd order a few statues but I am paranoid about them breaking in transit. Also I don't want to deal with explaining them to relations, Funko products just barely dodge that as is. I was going to get the Suicide Squad Movie Harley but the thought of explaining it to my elderly mother (who already says "There's your woman!" when she sees Margot Robbie on E News and such)....I am not ready for that.

shingi70

Banned
Man of Steel is my favorite comic book movie. I'd rate BvS a 7 or 6 depending on the day. I liked Squad despite it being pretty shallow.

Owzers

Did the free month trial on cmx unlimited, started reading Girls complete collection after having read #1 awhile back, not sure aboot this one.

I finally started digging into Bendis's Guardians now that I got the last chunk of it on sale. I had read some of the early issues before and mostly forgot them because it's been years, so all of this was fresh.

I've read through to the end of The Trial of Jean Grey at this point, and this seemed like a good point to pause and comment. Up next is when they started using the movie design for Star-Lord, added Venom and Captain Marvel, and had a FCBD issue.

So far it's really not very good at all. It keeps feeling like the characters are talking about stories in other books I'm not reading instead of participating in their own story in this one. Bendis sets up the conflict with Star-Lord's father early on, but that hasn't progressed one bit since it was introduced. I have to assume Hickman's Avengers is the thing being referenced most often, but they never come right out and say so, so I don't know. The book also had tie-in issues for Infinity, which were nothing but space fighting with no context, and Angela got shoved in early on too, but that's another thing that just happened without follow-up or development.

The Trial of Jean Grey was an improvement, but that's really an X-Men story that the Guardians really had nothing to do with.

It's been a very long time since I've read a book so directionless and empty. I'm hoping it picks up with these changes I'm getting ready to dive into.

I liked his Grounded stories but his final issue was one of the worst comics I've ever read.

He had Thanos say "Hi!"

I wonder how many more DCEU films and shows need to fail before they give up on the concept? Maybe if Justice League flops they'll go back to the drawing board.

They're still making money. If anything, they'll shift course if Justice League makes less than BvS. The point of Hollywood is business goes up, not down.

But, also, incidentally, all the DC movies have been good-to-great. Even Suicide Squad. ESPECIALLY Suicide Squad.

Man of Steel had moments. BvS is dire, becoming okay in Ultimate. Suicide Squad is of slipshod construction.

Man of Steel is the only movie that's caused me actual physical discomfort due to how loud some of the fight scenes were, so I guess I don't like that.

I don't really know how I feel about Batman v Superman. Mixed feelings at best. There are parts of it I like but it's too long and there's long stretches that are either boring or annoying.

The only parts of Suicide Squad I remember all involve Harley Quinn except for the post-credit scene. That was cool but I expect it to lead nowhere.

Incidentally lads, I will be guesting on a podcast during the week about the best and worst superhero sequels, which should be up by next weekend.

Man of Steel is the only movie that's caused me actual physical discomfort due to how loud some of the fight scenes were, so I guess I don't like that.

I don't really know how I feel about Batman v Superman. Mixed feelings at best. There are parts of it I like but it's too long and there's long stretches that are either boring or annoying.

The only parts of Suicide Squad I remember all involve Harley Quinn except for the post-credit scene. That was cool but I expect it to lead nowhere.

Incidentally lads, I will be guesting on a podcast during the week about the best and worst superhero sequels, which should be up by next weekend.
Do you count Elektra and Catwoman as sequels to Daredevil and Batman Returns?

At least BvS gave us some of the best Batman action scenes done on film. SS gave us this

Yeah, Suicide Squad has no redeeming qualities for me except for maybe Smith's performance as Deadshot and even that was nowhere near his best. I can't think of any reason to watch it again. Poor action scenes, bad dialogue, awful villain etc etc.

Do you count Elektra and Catwoman as sequels to Daredevil and Batman Returns?

Well, how it's working is that people are sending in lists (the podcast's name is Serial Rankers, with each episode having a different theme), and we have to consider everything that's on the lists.

So far, some of the weirder choices we've had on lists include Dredd (as a sequel to the Stallone film), Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Mad Max Fury Road (lots of discussion here as to what a superhero is) and, er, Toy Story 2. I've also been told by one of the hosts that somebody put Empire Strikes Back on a list but I haven't had that confirmed.

Also have one guy arguing vehemently that Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy aren't superheroes because none of them wear traditional superhero costumes. But it's all in good fun, no RLM-style RAWR NERD RAGE.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Last year on this day we lost one of the best comic book artist ever. So to remember Darwyn Cooke, here's some of his awesome art.

cbOcRV9.jpg

NXfsVEx.jpg

PZTjUkq.jpg

ooyecqv.jpg

MMg8MvMl.jpg

t6K4W91.jpg

T2BjKkM.png

Yeah, Suicide Squad has no redeeming qualities for me except for maybe Smith's performance as Deadshot and even that was nowhere near his best. I can't think of any reason to watch it again. Poor action scenes, bad dialogue, awful villain etc etc.

Great casting. I like liked the actors chosen and their characters. The way the film was put together was the problem.

I wish we would get the real Fury back and not the crappy impostor. :(

Why? Fury is barely a good character. He's one of those who's iconic because he has a good look and he's been around forever. The number of truly great Fury stories is small. He's one of those characters like Richard Rider Nova, who just kinda coasted along being B-list simply through longevity. Rider got his shine in Annihilation. Fury has Fury Max and Secret Warriors.

dan2026

Why? Fury is barely a good character. He's one of those who's iconic because he has a good look and he's been around forever. The number of truly great Fury stories is small. He's one of those characters like Richard Rider Nova, who just kinda coasted along being B-list simply through longevity. Rider got his shine in Annihilation. Fury has Fury Max and Secret Warriors.

Fury hits 5 star Generals with his belt when they get out of line and will therefore always be goddamn amazing.

And even like you say he was mostly a bit player in the MCU as a whole, I think making him the Watcher was a weird bizarre decision.
And the universe is lesser without him.

Nick Fury is a macho asshole. Like the purest embodiment of a kind of dude I just don't want anything to do with. He's like someone's drunk asshole dad.

Ok guys I want opinions:

I'm tempted to try X-Men Gold and/or Blue and Royals.

Which should I try first?

Or maybe just all 3 since they are new.
Blue and Royals. I'm not fond of Gold. Feels like it's trying to be Whedon and Claremont, but failing miserably. Blue is fresh yet familiar, and Royals is a boss-ass space adventure.

Messi

Decided to try Afterlife with Archie before the sale ends. When's the last issue going to be released? 2022?

#7 was December 10th 2014
#8 was May 6th 2015
#9 was May 25th 2016
#10 was August 31st 2016
#11 is yet to be release but currently scheduled by archie (lol) for 27/12/17

DAT ARCHIE SCHEDULE. Francavilla said last year there is no timetable. So whatever. The entire line lost all its momentum even if it is awesome when it releases. Sabrina and Afterlife have become jokes.

I haven't decided who to main yet. It's probably going to be more due to who actually feels right for my playstyle than what character it is.

I feel like you are judging me

From Ellis' newsletter:

injection-15_cvran9jwr.jpg

Cover for INJECTION 15, which will conclude the third arc. Issue 13 is out next month, I think? Still aiming at a five volume run, so long as the sales don't drop to the point where it'd be cheaper if I just phoned the remaining readers and read it to them.

Good night~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom