• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damn, I was so close to clicking that spoiler there lol, pretty used to just clicking Valiant stuff but sheer instinct kicked in. Guess I should avoid this stuff if I'm jumping in. When are you thinking about putting your thread up lp? Another random thing I was pleased with that might be worth mentioning is Valiant totally do the Image thing of charging less for vol 1s which is a really nice thing. I appreciate that a good deal from any publisher. Could be irrelevant if you're not focusing on trades anywhere.

God damn, I was so close to clicking that spoiler there lol, pretty used to just clicking Valiant stuff but sheer instinct kicked in. Guess I should avoid this stuff if I'm jumping in. When are you thinking about putting your thread up lp? Another random thing I was pleased with that might be worth mentioning is Valiant totally do the Image thing of charging less for vol 1s which is a really nice thing. I appreciate that a good deal from any publisher. Could be irrelevant if you're not focusing on trades anywhere.

Yeah, don't click that. It won't mean anything to you now, but it will later lol

I've included several ways to purchase them, so I've linked the first trade in a series, the deluxe hardcover (if available), and the CMX page. I'll try to work in the MSRP of $10 for first TPBs in somewhere. Good call.

EDIT: also, I'm just putting images up. It's text complete. I'll be looking for approval first then posting, because I've never really made a thread like this before.

caliph95

It's funny in regards to the valiant spoiler
it took me a minute to remember who that was and was oh that kid and went about my day

Man are we ever going to see the three Jokers brought up again? I feel like it's weird for Batman to be like "THERE ARE THREE JOKERS....oh well."

I never did read Darkseid war. Or that JL run at all in fact, despite best intentions. The first vol put me off deeply, although I gather it improved vastly after the first year. Darkseid War looked awesome though.

Hey Dan, I tweeted the editor on Black Hammer, he says we should watch out for it in volume 3! That guy is a stud too, Daniel Chabon. Editor over Black Hammer, Dept H, Ether, Harrow County, House Of Penance, Stokoe's Aliens book. Literally seeing DH through outside of the Hellboy books.

Don't think there's been anything said on it, and don't think I'd expect anything for a little while.

Think the Darkseid War final issue explicitly said it was three different Jokers and two were in different locations or something like that, so it can't be a personalities thing.

With all the Superman Reborn stuff and how much stuff seems to have subtlety change, I wonder if the three will be seen as an effect of these type of things. Almost like different timelines converging and causing anomalies.

Phamit

Was it ever followed up already? Like in there are three seperate Jokers. And not one person with three personalitys?

In DC Universe Rebirth Batman is monitoring the actions of the 3 Jokers in different Cities. They still could pull that as a twist ( please don't do that), but so far it seems 3 Jokers not one with 3 personalities

I always mix up the last issue of Darkseid War and Rebirth Special when it comes to details. They seemed to tie together really nicely so I always forget what was in which issue.

Hey Dan, I tweeted the editor on Black Hammer, he says we should watch out for it in volume 3! That guy is a stud too, Daniel Chabon. Editor over Black Hammer, Dept H, Ether, Harrow County, House Of Penance, Stokoe's Aliens book. Literally seeing DH through outside of the Hellboy books.
First volume of that run was really bad. I read Darkseid War and thought the first part was overhyped while the second was actually pretty great capes comics

shingi70

Banned
Maybe an unpopular opinion. The shit that went down with moore and DC happened in the 80s and has no bearing on my enjoyment of Comics. If that were to case I wouldn't read any comic from Marvel or DC considering how they both have fucked people over.

Also people who see one story and decide they'll ignore a whole line of Comics over 1 thing are dumb and shouldn't be engaged with.

stn

I just started The Darkness, its awesome! Will I have the whole collection in order if I purchase all the Origin, Accursed, and Rebirth volumes? Thanks.

Hmm was expecting another Renegade to bite it.

Yeah, me too but...

It's funny in regards to the valiant spoiler
it took me a minute to remember who that was and was oh that kid and went about my day

the thing is, even though Chrono himself is a pretty bland character, he's probably one of the most important players right now since he just founded that psiot Utopia place. I think it'll unsettle that whole population if he dies.

Yeah, me too but...

the thing is, even though Chrono himself is a pretty bland character, he's probably one of the most important players right now since he just founded that psiot Utopia place. I think it'll unsettle that whole population if he dies.

I'll be happy then if it can turn into a book with some of those characters involved.

I want more of that creepy psychic fetus controlling his mother.

Read through The Damned vol 1., by Cullen Bunn, Brian Hurtt & Bill Crabtree: So funny thing. This book is being billed as the first volume of the new ongoing series by the creative team behind The Sixth Gun. Well, I guess it is in a manner of speaking. This series was actually original published as a black and white mini series 10 years ago by Oni Press. The team always planned to return to the book but The Sixth Gun blew up and ran for what, 12ish volumes?, so now the team are in fact launching The Damned as an ongoing book, and Oni have repackaged and *remastered* the original mini as volume 1, coloured by cohort Bill Crabtree.

As for the book then? It's pretty great! I was worried that such an old offering from Bunn & co. might come off badly after reading a fair amount of The Sixth Gun, and Bunn's other works, but I actually think this is one of the better things I've read from him. The premise is simple: guns & gangsters in the prohibition era with the twist that demons walk the earth and aren't above a bit of double dealing themselves.The lead Eddie is a bit of a rogue and acts as a middle man between the various gang. It's dangerous work, but Eddie is the man for the job, down to being cursed to return from death in exchange for a life and all. The book is categorised as a horror, hard boiled crime saga but really we're talking a pulpy adventure, very much doing crime the way the team did western. There's mysteries to be solved, dangerous dames, back stabbing - you name it. If it's a trope, it's in here, but it's really good fun. I could see anyone who likes The Sixth Gun or stuff like Lobster Johnson getting a kick out of the book. Hurtt's art is nice and moody & Crabtree provides the right colour palette to enhance but never muddy the work, it's very clean. All the various demons look great too, with a lot of character to them.

Definitely will pick up the ongoing, the book was great and left a few plot threads in the air to hook into next time around. It'll be interesting to see if or how the book shifts with 10 years under the team's belt and a successful long run under their belt. Also nice is Oni Press are putting this volume out for a hardline $9.99, with the price right there on the cover. It's a new initiative of theirs and not only do I appreciate this kind of thing in general, I'd say doubly so with Oni, as their trades have been pricey in the past. Check it out if you like this sort of thing. It's not too deep but it's a good ride.

jurgen

Maybe an unpopular opinion. The shit that went down with moore and DC happened in the 80s and has no bearing on my enjoyment of Comics. If that were to case I wouldn't read any comic from Marvel or DC considering how they both have fucked people over.

Also people who see one story and decide they'll ignore a whole line of Comics over 1 thing are dumb and shouldn't be engaged with.

It's crazy seeing people act indignant in regards to DC's treatment of Moore and then get excited for the next Marvel movie.

Vic_Viper

Man are we ever going to see the three Jokers brought up again? I feel like it's weird for Batman to be like "THERE ARE THREE JOKERS....oh well."

Im pretty sure the 3 Jokers is going to be part of the War on Jokes and Riddles story line. That would be the perfect time to do it atleast and we havent really had a "Joker" story since Rebirth yet.

PsychBat!

Banned
It's crazy seeing people act indignant in regards to DC's treatment of Moore and then get excited for the next Marvel movie.
Getting excited for a DC event is being indignant to Moore?

This discussion is getting to the point where some people will say some mean things.

Vic_Viper

Is that story not based around zero year?

Oh im not sure tbh, Just assumed that would be the best place to get into the 3 Jokers if it was set in current continuity.

Wayward was just picked up and is being developed as an anime. Havent heard anything about it until now and it sounds like a perfect fit. How is the series? The Art alone looks awesome! Also how is Glitterbomb?

Didn't I read a while back that Tynion and King have both said that the Three Jokers thing is all Johns and they have no intention of doing anything with it?

Can't say I blame them, tbh. It's easily the most "lolwut" part of Rebirth.

Can't we all just get along?
No, never.

Didn't I read a while back that Tynion and King have both said that the Three Jokers thing is all Johns and they have no intention of doing anything with it?

No, never.

King and Snyder I believe, but yeah. They don't want anything to do with it from what I remember.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have finally gotten Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine! Yay!

Now where you say this, I remember this too. I hope they pull a easy solution like, "Its all been Dr. Manhatten!" Something easy cause its super silly and I hate it.
No, never.
Divided We Stand. United We Fall.

I have finally gotten Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine! Yay!

Now where you say this, I remember this too. I hope they pull a easy solution like, "Its all been Dr. Manhatten!" Something easy cause its super silly and I hate it.

Divided We Stand. United We Fall.

The way Reborn went down for Superman and his continuity, I feel like they could come up with a pretty easy fix for it.

Could say it was some kind of overlapping timeline thing that was causing anamolies and eventually everything fuses together how Reborn did for Supes and then you could even have only one Joker later but have him have issues of having different memories and not knowing what's real. Could even use it to have different style of Joker's for different stories.

Almost treat it like different personalities after it started as three different physical Jokers.

Messi

Oh im not sure tbh, Just assumed that would be the best place to get into the 3 Jokers if it was set in current continuity.

Wayward was just picked up and is being developed as an anime. Havent heard anything about it until now and it sounds like a perfect fit. How is the series? The Art alone looks awesome! Also how is Glitterbomb?

Wayward is legit awesome. Buy the hardcover. Glitterbomb is not good.

Messi

No, never.

That's funny. I really disliked it.

Vic_Viper

Wayward is legit awesome. Buy the hardcover. Glitterbomb is not good.

Nice, thanks! I probably will pick it up with the Reborn HC tomorrow!

What size is it? Same size as the East of West and Velvet HCs or the Deadly Class HC? Also anyone know what size they are going with for the Reborn HC?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Which Joker personality is everyone favorite?

Mines that one:

joker-1970s.jpg

To bad 70s Batman Reprints are super rare, but I consider this one super scary, because he isnt all lunatic-lunatic.

Messi

Nice, thanks! I probably will pick it up with the Reborn HC tomorrow!

What size is it? Same size as the East of West and Velvet HCs or the Deadly Class HC? Also anyone know what size they are going with for the Reborn HC?

Standard image hardcovers for wayward like walking dead or saga. Vol 2 is July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom