• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg, I just noticed my Akira box set pre-order on Amazon dropped to $102. Glad I pre-ordered early.

In other news, the Kamandi Omnibus scheduled for later in the year is cancelled. I hope the Fourth World Omnibus doesn't go the same way. Starman, SMT and now this. Next, I expect DC to actually come into my house and take away some collected editions.

omg, I just noticed my Akira box set pre-order on Amazon dropped to $102. Glad I pre-ordered early.

In other news, the Kamandi Omnibus scheduled for later in the year is cancelled. I hope the Fourth World Omnibus doesn't go the same way. Starman, SMT and now this. Next, I expect DC to actually come into my house and take away some collected editions.

"Cancelled" like the Aquaman omnibus which just got a new date or cancelled?

I am hoping it is the latter and that it shows up again in the Spring 2018 catalog. It currently shows cancelled in the Summer 2017 catalog.
Probably. It was set for August, right?

Strange. Just got a notice that I have a package to pick up. Wasn't expecting anything now that the JSA omnibuses got lost in the mail a month ago. Will have to get it before heading into the city for the movie tonight.

Damn just checked my pre-order, 129 still. Do you have a secret amazon you shop from

MU put up the first Riri issue today. I loved it, love her. How has it book been since then? How has the reaction been? To me, Bendis is at his best on a solo book when he has a strong vision, and that's clearly the case here. Also, Stephano Caselli is so good. In fact, he's just as good as having Marquez on the book, I think.

So Morning Glories doesn't have an ending or is not finished?

I might stop reading it then. It wasn't grabbing me 100%.

No, Spencer has maintained there's a 100 issue plan lol, so it's apparently only half way through.

Probably. It was set for August, right?

Strange. Just got a notice that I have a package to pick up. Wasn't expecting anything now that the JSA omnibuses got like a ost in the mail a month ago. Will have to get it before heading into the city for the movie tonight.

Fingers crossed, maybe it showed up!

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, I liked the weird random feel of it, but was a little lost on where it was going once that villain showed up.

I always feel like I'm missing stuff in these kind of books because it harkens to older stuff. I can usually find something I like enough to keep me interested though.

Doom Patrol has been absolutely amazing IMO, but it hasn't gone long enough to have a down curve yet so It may be unfair.

With Superman and Deathstroke's long stories all coming together they're both getting really close.
Would you recommend this Superman run to someone who has only ever read a few Superman stories?

Would you recommend this Superman run to someone who has only ever read a few Superman stories?

Superman for the most part yes, but Action Comics seems to be a lot more referential. I'd say it becomes a bit of an issue with the Reborn cross-over that just ended about a month ago. I even read most of the stuff it was building from and I was confused on some aspects.

As long as you go in accepting that Clark and Lois have a child and are not this planet's original Lois and Clark you're pretty good with Superman.

Aizo

Banned
Superman for the most part yes, but Action Comics seems to be a lot more referential. I'd say it becomes a bit of an issue with the Reborn cross-over that just ended about a month ago. I even read most of the stuff it was building from and I was confused on some aspects.

As long as you go in accepting that Clark and Lois have a child and are not this planet's original Lois and Clark you're pretty good with Superman.
Is the reader expected to be reading Action and Superman?

Action and Superman are kept separate for the most part. They did come together for the Superman Rebirth storyline a month or two ago. I was only reading Superman and was able to follow the story fine.

No, Spencer has maintained there's a 100 issue plan lol, so it's apparently only half way through.

Fingers crossed, maybe it showed up!

Went there and got a number to call. Apparently the letter I got was 4 weeks late so it was probably the omnibuses. Maybe I might actually get them later!

Only for that crossover. Superman is more dealing with the family side of Supes and Action at first was dealing with a lot of the overall Superman mysteries. Who was the mystery Clark, who was Oz, stuff with Lex.

Superman Reborn was a cross-over between the two mostly dealing with stuff in Action.

Lord. 100 issues?
They really will be fighting on the moon by the end.

Nothing would surprise me in that book, since everything felt pulled out of a hat by the time I dropped off around volume 6 or 7. It had been quite enough rope by that point and the book was swinging happily away.

dan2026

Although Action is currently pulling in a billion Superman villains to form a new 'Revenge Squad' to take out Superman.

Full of absurdly powerful villains, most of which could probably take Superman 1 on 1.
I am reading to see how on earth he is going to beat them all.

Nothing would surprise me in that book, since everything felt pulled out of a hat by the time I dropped off around volume 6 or 7. It had been quite enough rope by that point and the book was swinging happily away.
It felt to me like the comic book equivalent of a season of American Horror Story.
'And then the aliens from dimension x invaded!'

Although Action is currently pulling in a billion Superman villains to form a new 'Revenge Squad' to take out Superman.

Full of absurdly powerful villains, most of which could probably take Superman 1 on 1.

Not to mention they'll be trying to get Zod next. Will be pretty interesting. Biggest thing is I just hope it doesn't end up being another Oz cop out.

Messi

MU put up the first Riri issue today. I loved it, love her. How has it book been since then? How has the reaction been? To me, Bendis is at his best on a solo book when he has a strong vision, and that's clearly the case here. Also, Stephano Caselli is so good. In fact, he's just as good as having Marquez on the book, I think.

Still great. Riri is awesome.

shingi70

Banned

It felt to me like the comic book equivalent of a season of American Horror Story.
'And then the aliens from dimension x invaded!'

He's gonna make some calls to the fam.

My friend hates Seeley Nightwing and loves Higgins Nightwing.
Higgins Nightwing did have some stuff going for it, but I felt it was largely a regression for the character. Whereas Seeley feels like a direct sequel. Plus Seeley has a grasp on the character that very few do.
Doomsdays Clock announced

Geoff Johns' story about Watchmen/DC

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/863940804091363329

C_1VlCQUQAEOYbk.jpg
Let's fucking GO
Avengers Standoff was a fun story, It also shows that Spencer can write a fun story about Steve Rogers when he isn't a Hydra agent, so it gives me hope for the Cap book post-Secret Empire. assuming Spencer stays on the book.
Spencer understands the character. It's what makes Steve so damned terrifying as a Hydra commander. It's definitely Steve, but totalitarian and facist
He's good people

Yes, because that's the boat I'm in.

jurgen

My friend hates Seeley Nightwing and loves Higgins Nightwing.

I like Higgins and would love to see him take on the character outside of an elseworlds or the stigma of the New 52.

Seeley Nightwing is absolutely fantastic though. He seems to be the only writer other than Tomasi that wants to run towards and embrace everything that Morrison did.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really? Hmmm. I wonder if they're holding off and they'll have a trade made up of side stuff like that at some point? There is a story illustrated by David Rubin recently right? I would love those Mind MGMT HCs as well man.
The Rubin guest spot is a main issue so it's in. Amazon says Vol 2 is #7-12. Could always be wrong... I should try asking Lemire on twitter.

Lego MSH 2, hyped.

Right? I absolutely loved the game, I think the Wii U activity log has over 200 hours logged on it haha. I hope it's much more like the first than Lego Avengers, that game was rough. The teaser pic with spider Gwent, spidey 2099 etc though :eek: good times.

The Rubin guest spot is a main issue so it's in. Amazon says Vol 2 is #7-12. Could always be wrong... I should try asking Lemire on twitter.

I'd like to think they have a place. I doubt they don't collect it, the solicit is maybe mistaken or something. What a great book though. Try tweeting the editor, you might have better luck there

Supergirl #9
How is no one all about this?
Fucking MAGOG is back! And what's even more interesting is that he is going to be a part of the new Fatal Five along with Emerald Empress. Or at least that's how I read that.
Anyways this was a tight issue. Ching knows how to draw action and boy is it good. Also Kara comes off as bitter in this towards Barbara. Still, how did
the Tycho spokeswoman, or rather Tycho as a whole, know about Supergirl's ship? That's pretty much a full admission of guilt.

Titans #11 a.k.a. The Lazarus Contract Part One
Garth is the fucking worst. And as goofy as that last panel was, this is something that's been coming for awhile. This is a pretty good start. It feels very naturally ingrained into an already progressing storyline. I liked this issue a lot. Although something that's bothering me, which I'm sure will get answered:
let's assume Lazarus is referring to Grant. Everyone on the team now was there when Grant died, so why would Dick not say anything? It doesn't seem right. Also proof that Omen was also lying because she was reading his mind, probing for lies.

Shade the Changing Girl #8
SHE JUST KILLED THAT GUY!
So Shade's madness powers are getting out of control, which is reflective of everything. Everyone is getting out of control. Shit is blowing up, whether Shade acknowledges her hand in it or not. This book is great.

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #6
So I thought this was done. Apparently not. But this one is the last issue. It's weird. Kinda fun. Kinda funny.

That's about it.

tim1138

Supergirl #9
How is no one all about this?
Fucking MAGOG is back! And what's even more interesting is that he is going to be a part of the new Fatal Five along with Emerald Empress. Or at least that's how I read that.
Anyways this was a tight issue. Ching knows how to draw action and boy is it good. Also Kara comes off as bitter in this towards Barbara. Still, how did
the Tycho spokeswoman, or rather Tycho as a whole, know about Supergirl's ship? That's pretty much a full admission of guilt.

Titans #11 a.k.a. The Lazarus Contract Part One
Garth is the fucking worst. And as goofy as that last panel was, this is something that's been coming for awhile. This is a pretty good start. It feels very naturally ingrained into an already progressing storyline. I liked this issue a lot. Although something that's bothering me, which I'm sure will get answered:
let's assume Lazarus is referring to Grant. Everyone on the team now was there when Grant died, so why would Dick not say anything? It doesn't seem right. Also proof that Omen was also lying because she was reading his mind, probing for lies.

Shade the Changing Girl #8
SHE JUST KILLED THAT GUY!
So Shade's madness powers are getting out of control, which is reflective of everything. Everyone is getting out of control. Shit is blowing up, whether Shade acknowledges her hand in it or not. This book is great.

Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #6
So I thought this was done. Apparently not. But this one is the last issue. It's weird. Kinda fun. Kinda funny.

That's about it.

I love Supergirl, I just don't tall about it.

well, fuck... I stumbled onto the "graphic death" cover for Harbinger Renegade #5. Wish I could unsee it. :(

Is it Lady Ninja Jack?

That is the most perfect description ever
Like, I don't think Higgins is a bad writer. I'm loving MMPR to death right now.

The thing I can appreciate about Higgins' run is that it goes back to Dick's roots, which is a place that's largely been left untouched by many. So bringing him back there, to Gotham, and having arcs revolve around his family, the Circus, and Tony Zucco, it feels both old and new. Bringing Dick to Chicago opens up some new doors, and there was a lot of potential that got cut short by Forever Evil. The big problem with the run is that everything "new"? It sucks. If it isn't Gotham, it isn't very good (helps that Barrows was on art at that time, so anything after that seemed lesser). On top of that, Dick himself is regressed. Just talking about what Batman would do and honestly, Dick was kinda dumb. It felt like he was dealing with daddy issues he'd already dealt with and instead of moving on, he stays. He backslid into one big inferiority complex. And then Chicago was basically Bludhaven 2.0, only worse and it ended up not going anywhere.

Seeley basically said, "I know that's what you think Dick is, but it's not. He's better." With the first two arcs (Better than Batman and Rise of Raptor). It's basically a "fuck you" to Dick's roots. Like, "we ain't going back there."

Although all this talk about it makes me want to re-read Higgins' run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom