• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTripper

As someone who stopped reading comics as a kid but always loved Batman and Superman, Doomsday Clock and everything going on since Rebirth is really surreal since Watchmen was what got me back into reading comics in my teens, almost a decade ago. It'll be really bizarre seeing Superman (arguably a symbol of my youth) interact with Manhattan.

jurgen

It came!

latest

Yippeeeeee!

One of the best runs on X-men. Also underappreciated.

Also the second longest tenure of a writer on X-books (Claremont being first).

I wish we could have had more Carey instead of having to sit through all of Bendis' shitty non-starters.

Sadist

I read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men for the first time last night.

What a trip.
Last time I enjoyed Cykes as a character. Such a bad ass. It might be my favourite X-Men series. Love the dynamic between Beast and Brand.

Btw, I finally got time to read The Walking Dead #167. Damn Kirkman. Damn.

I did chuckle about the Negan part

VanWinkle

Has Geoff Johns ever written a bad event? The bro is good. I mean, obviously every book has SOME people who don't like it, but I can't think of any that aren't seen as at least good by the majority of people.

Off the top of my head, Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and Forever Evil are all good to amazing. The guy writes epic scale and action really well. But maybe I'm forgetting a crappy one.

Has Geoff Johns ever written a bad event? The bro is good. I mean, obviously every book has SOME people who don't like it, but I can't think of any that aren't seen as at least good by the majority of people.

Off the top of my head, Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and Forever Evil are all good to amazing. The guy writes epic scale and action really well. But maybe I'm forgetting a crappy one.

Brightest Day.

Wait what. I didn't know that part. Please explain.

War of Jokes and Riddles seems to be a story that sort of spins out of Zero Year, with the Joker taking on the Riddler after the latter took over Gotham for months. Set a ways back from current.

It's definitely his strongest suite. He did the same thing in Darkseid War which is doubly impressive because aside from the oneshots that one didn't effect the rest of the line at all.

Dusknoir

Trinity war

VanWinkle

Brightest Day.

I thought Brightest Day was pretty great. That was Tomasi, though, right? Been awhile since I read it, so I can't remember.

Trinity war

But he didn't REALLY write Trinity War though, right? It was like a crossover story between a few different writers. It WAS crappy, though, whatever it was. In fact, it almost seems like he just wrote the first issue and last issue, which were easily the best parts, but I may be misremembering.

Aizo

Banned
The war of jokes and riddles? It's set in the aftermath of year zero, not present day.

War of Jokes and Riddles seems to be a story that sort of spins out of Zero Year, with the Joker taking on the Riddler after the latter took over Gotham for months. Set a ways back from current.

It's definitely his strongest suite. He did the same thing in Darkseid War which is doubly impressive because aside from the oneshots that one didn't effect the rest of the line at all.
Ahh. I see. Huh. Didn't know about that. Seems weird to do now.

jackdoe

I thought Brightest Day was pretty great. That was Tomasi, though, right? Been awhile since I read it, so I can't remember.

But he didn't REALLY write Trinity War though, right? It was like a crossover story between a few different writers. It WAS crappy, though, whatever it was. In fact, it almost seems like he just wrote the first issue and last issue, which were easily the best parts, but I may be misremembering.
If you want to break them apart like that, then Geoff Johns didn't write all of Sinestro Corps War either. Tomasi wrote half of it (IMO the more interesting half, as I found Sodam Yat more compelling than Hal Jordan).

The first year of the Mike Carey run on X-mem is one of the very last I remember buying in floppy. The Brubaker Vulcan stuff ran at the same time, is that right?

Ahh. I see. Huh. Didn't know about that. Seems weird to do now.

I'm not up to date on the series but I believe they have been making little nods towards it throughout the run, implying there's a history there to be revealed.

Vic_Viper

The first year of the Mike Carey run on X-mem is one of the very last I remember buying in floppy. The Brubaker Vulcan stuff ran at the same time, is that right?

Yea it was, or atleast around that time. That was actually when I first started collecting floppies again after taking along break lol. My first floppy that I ever bought personally though was Spawn 77 I think, the one where he had angel's wings instead of the cape. Thought that was the coolest thing at the time. I even had the poster and this huge McFarlane figure of Spawn with the same wings lol (it was on sale at a KB Toys that was closing down for like 10$). Man I miss the 90s!

Yea it was, or atleast around that time. That was actually when I first started collecting floppies again after taking along break lol. My first floppy that I ever bought personally though was Spawn 77 I think, the one where he had angel's wings instead of the cape. Thought that was the coolest thing at the time. I even had the poster and this huge McFarlane figure of Spawn with the same wings lol (it was on sale at a KB Toys that was closing down for like 10$). Man I miss the 90s!

Haha that's awesome! Very 90s. When I got back in, I think my first floppy was some horrible issue of Frank Tieri's weapon X book and Avengers Disassembled :/ my first comics are much better though, the original GotG #50 (with embossed cover) and issue 29ish of Warlock and the infinity watch haha, I posted the cover recently. Do you still have the Spawn comic?

If you want to break them apart like that, then Geoff Johns didn't write all of Sinestro Corps War either. Tomasi wrote half of it (IMO the more interesting half, as I found Sodam Yat more compelling than Hal Jordan).

Sodam Yat was an okay character overall, but nothing great. He just felt flat when you have characters like Raynor, Kilowog, and the other Lanterns.

VanWinkle

Did Geoff Johns write any of Brightest Day? And fair point on Sinestro Corps War. I forgot about that. But that's still different than Trinity War. If I'm correct in remembering that Johns just did the start and the end, that's a lot different than intertwining with another writer through the entire thing. Didn't excuse how bad it was, but still.

Rooster12

Didn't like Blackest Night at all....aside from the amazing buildup.

I remember reading it and thinking "god I hope the ending isn't all the color corps teaming up and beating Nekron"....and that's pretty much exactly what it was. So why didn't they just do that right from the start?

I enjoyed IC, Flashpoint and Forever Evil more for sure.

Did Geoff Johns write any of Brightest Day? And fair point on Sinestro Corps War. I forgot about that. But that's still different than Trinity War. If I'm correct in remembering that Johns just did the start and the end, that's a lot different than intertwining with another writer through the entire thing. Didn't excuse how bad it was, but still.

He was one of the main writers for the event.

One of the best runs on X-men. Also underappreciated.

Also the second longest tenure of a writer on X-books (Claremont being first).

I wish we could have had more Carey instead of having to sit through all of Bendis' shitty non-starters.
I really liked Bendis' X books (especially Uncanny), but the big problem was how they ended. They just fizzled out, and anything meaningful that happened by the end lost impact due to Secret Wars. I genuinely think he was on to something great, though it's sad that no one has really built off of it. Like what Duggan did with Uncanny Avengers.
I read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men for the first time last night.

What a trip.
My favorite comic book of all time. Period.

I tried to get back into comics when I started high school, and I jumped into X-Men without question. I have the Hecatomb issues and the first issue or two of Blinded by the Light. Made me want to get back in, but I couldn't be consistent, so I ended up dropping out. Decided to pick it up again once I found the OHC of Supernovas at my LCS and that that was the beginning of the run AND had the arc I read.

Bernbaum

I've been picking up physical copies all of the X-titles since the new run started (Blue, Gold, Jean Grey, Weapon X). Haven't read any yet as I'm clearing some classic titles from my backlist.

What kind of stories have I got to look forward to?

I tried to get back into comics when I started high school, and I jumped into X-Men without question. I have the Hecatomb issues and the first issue or two of Blinded by the Light. Made me want to get back in, but I couldn't be consistent, so I ended up dropping out. Decided to pick it up again once I found the OHC of Supernovas at my LCS and that that was the beginning of the run AND had the arc I read.

Awesome man, great place to kick things back off! It was that X-Men run that encouraged me to check out The Unwritten by Carey too, which was a really great thing.

I've been picking up physical copies all of the X-titles since the new run started (Blue, Gold, Jean Grey, Weapon X). Haven't read any yet as I'm clearing some classic titles from my backlist.

What kind of stories have I got to look forward to?
-Weapon X is a X-Force book, but more of a thriller akin to Terminator, except none of the charm. Pak feels like he might be gettin the voices down and Land's art is surprisingly okay (he does action well). Right now it's just okay, but it does have plenty of action.
-X-Men Gold is a poorly attemped imitation of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men with Claremont's post-Phoenix squad.
-X-Men Blue feels fresh yet familiar. It has the original five X-Men, time-displaced, allied with Magneto to take out mutantkind's deadliest enemies, whether they be mutants themselves or otherwise. The team has a completelt fresh dynamic and feels like a remix of old X-Men. It's just a solid superhero book.
-Jean Grey is about a girl trying to reclaim her own identity in the face of something she's destined to become. It had a pretty solid first issue and makes Jean an interesting character that isn't just "Everyone loves Jean and she's perfect and the greatest OMG Phoenix!"

skybald

Picked up the Max Comics Destroyer TPB for $5 at my LCS. A totally fun, shallow, violent read. Totally worth the price. I don't see the Kirkman in the writing as much as I see the Invincible in the art.

Bernbaum

-X-Men Blue feels fresh yet familiar. It has the original five X-Men, time-displaced, allied with Magneto to take out mutantkind's deadliest enemies, whether they be mutants themselves or otherwise. The team has a completelt fresh dynamic and feels like a remix of old X-Men. It's just a solid superhero book.

On paper, Bendis' time-displaced X-men seemed like a stupid idea and the initial execution of it seemed clunky (Beast trying to make some point to Cyclops), but I actually enjoyed a lot of the stories that came out of that run. I thought Gold was supposed to be the better of the two, but have heard good things about Blue

-Jean Grey is about a girl trying to reclaim her own identity in the face of something she's destined to become. It had a pretty solid first issue and makes Jean an interesting character that isn't just "Everyone loves Jean and she's perfect and the greatest OMG Phoenix!"

Happy to hear this. I've always found Jean to be a bit of a blank slate that's been underused by writers. The X-men books have always had great female characters (my personal favourites mostly affiliated with the New Mutants) but for such a high-profile character, poor old Jean never felt that interesting to me.

TheFlow

Banned
Marvel meeting

Person 1- you know we gotta send these mutants back to their original time.

Person 2- nah just kill the old ones off and replace them with younger counterparts.

Rest of the board- sounds good.

JTripper

Have Soule's Daredevil and Aaron's Strange picked up at all? I haven't heard whether or not those series' most recently released volumes have been good or not.

On paper, Bendis' time-displaced X-men seemed like a stupid idea and the initial execution of it seemed clunky (Beast trying to make some point to Cyclops), but I actually enjoyed a lot of the stories that came out of that run. I thought Gold was supposed to be the better of the two, but have heard good things about Blue.
Gold has a solid status quo, but right now the team really doesn't feel like it has a reason to be together. None of the personalities aside from Logan and Kitty stand out. It feels like it's just going through the motions. Blue feels like it's genuinely attempting to accomplish something.
Marvel meeting

Person 1- you know we gotta send these mutants back to their original time.

Person 2- nah just kill the old ones off and replace them with younger counterparts.

Rest of the board- sounds good.
Except they've already stated, in both Prime and Blue, that they're probably not from this timeline. Which explains why they couldn't send them back: because they couldn't put them in the right timeline.

TheFlow

Banned
Have Soule's Daredevil and Aaron's Strange picked up at all? I haven't heard whether or not those series' most recently released volumes have been good or not.
Daredevil is worth getting into now

Aaron's run is good but I am not in a rush to finish it. Think I left off on #115-6.The new run looks interesting
teams up with kingpin

TheFlow

Banned
Gold has a solid status quo, but right now the team really doesn't feel like it has a reason to be together. None of the personalities aside from Logan and Kitty stand out. It feels like it's just going through the motions. Blue feels like it's genuinely attempting to accomplish something.

Except they've already stated, in both Prime and Blue, that they're probably not from this timeline. Which explains why they couldn't send them back: because they couldn't put them in the right timeline.
Didn't read prime because I can't live with paying another 5 bucks for x-men. Don't remember them stating that in blue, but I know the Original 5can be sent away at the whims of Marvel higher up.

Didn't read prime because I can't live with paying another 5 bucks for x-men. Don't remember them stating that in blue, but I know the Original 5can be sent away at the whims of Marvel higher up.
I think it's in either #1 or #2 that they mention the issue of them "possibly not being a part of the timeline." And it might have been mentioned in Jean Grey as well. But it's been mentioned multiple times.

TheFlow

Banned
I think it's in either #1 or #2 that they mention the issue of them "possibly not being a part of the timeline." And it might have been mentioned in Jean Grey as well. But it's been mentioned multiple times.
Yea I haven't read much of their issues because I have no care about the original 5. I need to read blue #2 though.

Vic_Viper

Aaron's Doctor Strange is ending soon so he can start working on whatever his Legacy series ends up being. Shame since I really liked his Doctor Strange book. He has to be the last best writer at Marvel currently.

Soule's Daredevil has been awesome as well, atleast once you get past the first arc with Tenfingers. Its way better than I expected and glad I kept reading after the initial arc. The latest storyline that was a flashback to how he got people to forget about Matt Murdock being Daredevil is so good.

Cant wait for the Doctor Strange Deluxe HC. Really hope Marvel does the same with Daredevil. They are both my go to series currently at Marvel aside from ASM and Thor which Im currently catching up on atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom