• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
G Willows X-Men book was trash. Her issues of A Force post Bennett too. Don't trust her at all with team books.
Her X-Men was taking over for one trade (so like, five or six issues) at the tail end of an already lengthy run by at least one other writer. A-Force post-SW wasn't very good as a whole, that I agree. It wasn't bad, it just felt aimless. I had some genuinely good character interactions, even if the dialogue was a little too...I don't know how to describe it, but the scene in one issue (with Dazzler Thor) where they all yelled about pie made me cringe.

That said, based on Ms. Marvel, I think she understands family dynamics very well. So I'm willing to give her a lot of leeway for an FF book simply based on that.
He's having a giggle, even with the Bendis part
tumblr_n4m3cybbbz1rv5t4to1_r1_400.gif

Actually, FF co-written by Waid and GWW. Waid's character interactions and dialogue isn't the best, but he can plot and his FF run is usually one of the higher recommended ones, yeah? So at least he understands the characters. GWW does solid character interactions with a strong understanding of family dynamics, plus she can do dialogue well. The problem is that GWW has a tendency to be aimless. Pair them up. Plus it takes a load off of each other given their other projects. Like, I legit want Avengers to be cowritten by Whitely and Waid for the rest of the run based on the most recent issue.

ElNarez

Banned
The thing that's been bouncing in my head on that Secret Empire #2 cliffhanger is
that this is the real Steve, pulled from Dimension Z

Now, of course
it would be cumbersome to explain in a way that makes sense, it would shit on the work of another creative team, and it's not a satisfying payoff, thematically or otherwise.
Which, of course, makes it the perfect Nick Spencer twist.

The thing that's been bouncing in my head on that Secret Empire #2 cliffhanger is

Now, of course
it would be cumbersome to explain in a way that makes sense, it would shit on the work of another creative team, and it's not a satisfying payoff, thematically or otherwise.

Remender did say on twitter about a certain plot he left behind that Marvel could use.

ElNarez

Banned
oh also the next Fantastic Four book needs to hit the ground running HARD, it needs to be EXCITING, and corollary to that it needs to be KIRBY AS FUCK

dream option is TOM SCIOLI, who gives a fuck if it's not monthly, every issue would be a goddamn EVENT

realistic option is probably something like Jason Aaron and Scott Koblish doing his best Kirby impression

ElNarez

Banned
Not open to Aaron, he doesn't seem to be a big picture guy.

It's specifically why I'd want him. We don't need a slow-burn, wheels within wheels, big plans and all that FF run, because that's been done, and every attempt since has hit diminishing returns. We need very big and very weird stories. That old school excitement.

Waid on FF again? Sounds good.

Not open to Aaron, he doesn't seem to be a big picture guy.

I dunno. His Thor stuff seems to be pretty big picture.
It's specifically why I'd want him. We don't need a slow-burn, wheels within wheels, big plans and all that FF run, because that's been done, and every attempt since has hit diminishing returns. We need very big and very weird stories. That old school excitement.

I can dig this.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind much less of a "intellect and science is a heavy burden" Illuminati-esque slow burn. Give me a Kirby-esque "super science is super strange!" FF any day. Heck, if you want to throw a real curve, get Remender and Romita Jr back together given what they did with the Dimension Z stuff on Cap. Heck, given Remender's increased "power of positivity" stuff he might even be a great fit, only Q would be how to not borrow too much from his writing on Black Science and Fear Agent.

Now, of course
This is rich. You're actually at the point where you're criticizing the themes of a story you've written in your own head, but blaming Spencer for it.

ElNarez

Banned
This is rich. You're actually at the point where you're criticizing the themes of a story you've written in your own head, but blaming Spencer for it.

Okay, fine, sure, if you wanna get to brass tacks, we can talk about the twist as it is presented, without any speculation,
and how that shits all over the past year of Cap comics, and that's without bringing up the fact Spencer, Brevoort and Alonso swore up and down that Cap being a nazi was one of those not a dream, not a hoax, not an alternate reality but the real Steve Rogers from all those Steve Rogers comics.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Poe Dameron #14

And, I'm sorry to say, probably sooner than we'd like...I'll be luminous."

Carrie :(

mreddie

Okay, fine, sure, if you wanna get to brass tacks, we can talk about the twist as it is presented, without any speculation,
and how that shits all over the past year of Cap comics, and that's without bringing up the fact Spencer, Brevoort and Alonso swore up and down that Cap being a nazi was one of those not a dream, not a hoax, not an alternate reality but the real Steve Rogers from all those Steve Rogers comics.

Yeah, years watching WWE shows me plans always change.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey guys, remember when Dan Slott said that Peter Parker died permanently and will never ever come back?

Its funny when people who know Comics fall for silly marketing.

ElNarez

Banned
Its funny when people who know Comics fall for silly marketing.

The problem is that
if you don't take Spencer's words at absolute face value, the story kinda falls apart. Like, the story spends so long confirming that this is the real Steve Rogers, no tricks, no deception, no mind control, it's just Regular Steve Rogers, From This Reality, that going back on that is going to feel like a cheap "gotcha", which makes every single bad thing that this Steve Rogers has made that much more callous, which makes Spencer look all the more craven for writing them. It's self-defeating in that it shows Marvel never had any intention of actually making their story mean something, they just wanted the thrill of having a year where Captain America was a nazi, without having to pay attention to what that signifies or in what context it's being said.

e: and to compare it with Superior Spider-Man (a story I'm on the record as hating from minute one)
Slott at the very least made his story about all the ways in which Doctor Octopus ISN'T Peter Parker. I hated it, but, it was at least making a point about its characters. It had something to say in a way Secret Empire is seemingly trying very hard to avoid.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm not reading the comics, so I'm not really infested, but I do hope Cap turns out
to be a clone or whatever, just because it's all SO fucking dumb. This Spencer ride has been great so far with all the dumb shit he does on page and on twitter.

Hey Y'all

Crazy I know but managed to get a few comics read over past few days

BP - The Crew #2 - Pretty gutted to hear this is getting cancelled, its been a slow burn as often is with Coates comic so far, but after the first few issues I'm really starting to get into the feel and tone of this. Enjoying the themes of history/legacies affecting the people now and changing neighbourhoods and times, with some black history and racial tension thrown in there. I know Marvel have pretty much sent this series out to die, but I'm suprised with the issues its covering this series hasnt had more support. I think maybe the slow burn story telling Coates does maybe isnt always as flashy and what comic fans go for.

Titans - First Lazarus Contract Issue- This was okay, not much happened to be honest, I mean more was given away in the issue description in previews than actually happened here ha. I'll give the next issue a go in teen titans to see if it picks up.

Ultimates By Ewing - Got the first series issues of this really cheap so though I'd give it a go. Really enjoyed the big cosmic themes they were going for with some great art in a lot of the issues. I haven't read Civil war 2 but felt like the tie in issues worked pretty well on there own as part of the story. I hope they stick with the current Galactus status quo for a while, find it a pretty interesting twist on it.

Now a couple of questions if I can call on the extensive comic gaf knowledge:

Is the second series of Ultimates (Ewing) any good? Really liked the first series but I remember a few comments on here that second series hasnt been as good so far

If I was going for one supergirl series which current on should I go for. Main series or the mini series? (Being super is it?) The better half randomly said yesterday she'd like to read a supergirl series.

Also thanks to whoever put up the link for the Doom Patrol bookplate edition a few pages back, I was straight on that

ElNarez

Banned
There's a choice made in the epilogue to Flash #22, and I think it makes a pretty good indication as to what kind of story Doomsday Clock will be.
As in, the Watchmen quote they pull pretty much screams "this is a misdirect, consider the Superboy-Prime hypothesis"

There's a choice made in the epilogue to Flash #22, and I think it makes a pretty good indication as to what kind of story Doomsday Clock will be.
As in, the Watchmen quote they pull pretty much screams "this is a misdirect, consider the Superboy-Prime hypothesis"
Yeah,
the strings quote is great foreshadowing if Manhattan isn't the ultimate antagonist.

Once they've burned through Lemire's scripts, is Thanos sticking around? I suppose with Legacy coming it might be a bit of a null question.

Not exactly comics news, although there's been some good comics: a Witcher netflix series, whaaaat. I'm down. Obligatory:

The Flash

I'm a little confused after this final issue. I'm just not sure what the take-away should be for what the whole cross-over was. To make Batman question what he does? More hints toward JSA? I feel more like this crossover could have been Rebirth #2 as one long single issue.

Not really saying I didn't like it, quite the opposite, I'm just a little lost on what the point was meant to be. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Why all the killing though? Pandora, Owlman and other dude, Reverse Flash? It'd be a real big cop out if they hint so much toward the Manhatten style deaths then say "Oh, that wasn't actually him.".

Batman

This issue makes Batman look like the dumbest god damn person. I like almost everything with Swamp Thing, but god damn does Batman look stupid.
Goes through 3 different people to find the killer then when he finds him he's like "Oh yeah, he always kills people with two shots and I've been looking for him for a while. Wish there was a hint to it being him before..." Guess King just really wanted to get another Kite Man thing in here.

Which brings me to another issue with this issue. Too many god damn ellipses... Why does Swamp Thing talk like the fucking Asthma kid from Malcolm in the Middle?! Was all the Ellipses through the whole page just to get the stupid ass joke from Kite Man saying his Hell Yeah catch phrase with a different connotation?

I think I'd love this issue if it didn't annoy me so damn much.

ElNarez

Banned
Why all the killing though? Pandora, Owlman and other dude, Reverse Flash? It'd be a real big cop out if they hint so much toward the Manhatten style deaths then say "Oh, that wasn't actually him.".

My working theory right now is that
Manhattan's actually trying to make things right, but the one telling him how the world is supposed to run is Superboy-Prime, who's a no-good punk-ass dipshit

Read through the first two chapters of Only Living Boy yesterday (Prisoner of the Patchwork Planet). Overall, it was quite good fun - I liked the art, the setting and the writing. Only the pacing was a bit weird. It felt like one long chase sequence because the "slower" moments and locations didn't get time to breathe. At least that's better than the other way round of endlessly loitering at one spot I guess. Lets see how the next four chapters go. There's definitely hints that the series could be more than the surface level adventure story of a displaced young boy.

Oh, it is also a very good all-ages book. Would definitely include it in recommendations for people looking for comics for a younger audience.

My working theory right now is that
Manhattan's actually trying to make things right, but the one telling him how the world is supposed to run is Superboy-Prime, who's a no-good punk-ass dipshit

Oh ok, I agree that I don't think Manhattan is intentionally the bad guy. I feel like people are too hung on up the Superboy stuff though. At this point I feel that'd almost be as bad as Oz being Ozymandius. Just too predicted to be satisfying by the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom