• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man, it looks like Faith and the Future Force is going to be a lot bigger than just Faith, Neela, new robot dude, and Ank.

C_5yCduXoAErLEl.jpg:large

Dalek

Is there anyone that wants to discuss spoilers from the conclusion of the Button in tomorrow's Flash? Because I have a few thoughts.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Iron Fist #2

yep this is how you do a great first arc.

Okay, so I'm not crazy. I've actually been really digging this new Iron Fist series but nobody is talking about it.

tim1138

Is there anyone that wants to discuss spoilers from the conclusion of the Button in tomorrow's Flash? Because I have a few thoughts.

Have you seen spoilers for the whole issue or just the last couple pages? I've seen the last three pages, but want to see the whole thing in context of the rest of the issue.

Dalek

Have you seen spoilers for the whole issue or just the last couple pages? I've seen the last three pages, but want to see the whole thing in context of the rest of the issue.

Yeah the last three pages. I guess you're right-we should wait to see the rest

tim1138

The one thing I took from it is

Visually it could be a reference to the hand that appears in Crisis events.

I would be amazed if that's not the intent. Johns referenced that hand so much, you have to figure that it's going to be part of the story.

this is a long white block that is not really relevant to the conversation but I felt the need to shitpost because blah blah blah

Also, did not know Deadpool vs Punisher was a Van Lente/Perez joint. I'll pick that up in trade a little down the line.

dh4niel

I'm up to date on all my X-Men reading but was wondering if there's an Inhuman book I should be reading? Is Uncanny Inhumans worth reading or relevant enough to the X-Men?

Duress

God damn it! Why did Hickman's FF go on sale on Comixology, the same week as Comic Con? I guess I'll hold to see if I get any good finds :/

Vic_Viper

Did Tony G-Man from Comic Vine ever come out and talk about what happened or what hes doing now after leaving? Its a shame to see him go, but I had stopped visiting the site as much. I hope he found something in the industry.

Read Blackest Night

Ivan Reis killed it but ehh. It came off as super cynical and try hard, especially in the beginning. The edginess of it seemed at conflict with the colors of the rainbow Lantern Corps. Like, I can't take the whole 'dead superheroes are being resurrected and are going to take over' as seriously as it wants me to when the solution is to get all the different colored power rangers Lanterns together.

That being said, it mostly does a good job of making things seem dire enough to make it enjoyable when the heroes eventually turn the tide. And yeah, Reis kills it.

I only buy expensive art.

liar

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
going to nycc this year, on sunday

my first time going - never had much of a reason to go before but my boys want to go this year

maybe i'll pick up some art for my office desk

shingi70

Banned
Did Tony G-Man from Comic Vine ever come out and talk about what happened or what hes doing now after leaving? Its a shame to see him go, but I had stopped visiting the site as much. I hope he found something in the industry.

What happened Is Comics media is in a really bad place riight, and the site couldn't justify why its a separate site and not folded into Gamespot or Giant Bomb.

Comics Media doesn't translate well to video content the way film and Video games do.

Read through Green Lanterns vol 1. Not my favourite book ever, but I knew going in that the book started off rough, but with the recommendation that it has grown into a pretty great book and it was worth investing the time into. I've never owned a GL book before, and only read a few arcs of Johns' big run so I didn't really know how I would take to it in general.

The thing with this book is I really like the premise on paper. Two rookie partners, who can only recharge their rings together, who have polar opposite personalities and a lot to learn. This is a pretty great idea, and Humphries follows through on it to an extent, but there is a ton of hand holding. I appreciate it's a Rebirth vol 1 and some writers will write it as if it's the readers first ever comic, but there is endless reminders of who is who, what they can and can't do, what a Lantern is, and so on. When Humphries loosens up a bit, the two Lanterns can be really pretty likeable with interesting hangups, and he has a good ear for snappy dialogue between the two that can make things flow nicely but again, he needs to loosen up on the exposition. I did like the technique of the dueling thought boxes in many scenes, getting into the head of both characters at any given moment. I admire that there is no easy quick turn around for Jessica's anxiety and appears to be something the book is committed to exploring. The plot is quite straight forward, but it's conceived to introduce and test the lead characters' inadequacies and which I can get behind as an opening salvo. There's quite a bit of building towards the future and even see teasing in regards to the sister title.

Another problem, and to be fair it goes beyond this book, is how shakey the art got at times. I liked Robson Roche's parts well enough, but for 7 issues quite a remarkable amount of hands were put to paper to make the double shipping happen and unfortunately it does show in the mid portion of the volume. There's actually points where Simon's mask design changes in design and looks a bit rough as a result, that kind of thing.

Anyway. A decent if unremarkable start with some problems to be fixed. I'm willing to give it another shot purely because I already knew it was vol 2 I would be looking towards in the first place, but at least on my own end, having read only this vol I couldn't really recommend the book to folks who aren't already GL fans and confident they have a general interest in keeping up with the franchise, until I see myself that there is payoff for the effort.

What happened Is Comics media is in a really bad place riight, and the site couldn't justify why its a separate site and not folded into Gamespot or Giant Bomb.

Comics Media doesn't translate well to video content the way film and Video games do.

I love GB, but Giant Bomb comics content would last about as long as Giant Thrones did.

A podcast would just be two hours of Jason going "I got this new Batman....it's so FUCKIN' GOOD! It just feels nice, man. FUCK."

Can I get some wonder woman trade recommendations? Want to give a couple to my sister for her birthday on the 31st (just a few days before the movie comes out) is rebirth good?

Old School but still classic:
Wonder Woman by George Perez Volume 1
Wonder Woman by George Perez Volume 2

Modern Greats:
Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka Volume 1
Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello (6 volumes starts with Wonder Woman: Blood)

Most Recent:
Wonder Woman: The Lies
Wonder Woman: Year One

Out of Continuity but great as stand alone:

Wonder Woman: Earth One
Wonder Woman: The True Amazon

Megatron

Old School but still classic:
Wonder Woman by George Perez Volume 1
Wonder Woman by George Perez Volume 2

Modern Greats:
Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka Volume 1
Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello (6 volumes starts with Wonder Woman: Blood)

Most Recent:
Wonder Woman: The Lies
Wonder Woman: Year One

Out of Continuity but great as stand alone:

Wonder Woman: Earth One
Wonder Woman: The True Amazon

Thanks for the feedback. I gave her gp vol 1 for christmas. Not sure she has read it yet. Im going with the two rebirth trades and getting suicide squad free in the bn deal.

skybald

Just bought my first DC books because of the Barnes and Noble sale.

The haul:
The Flash Vol. 1: Lightning Strikes Twice (Rebirth)
The Flash Vol. 2: Speed of Darkness (Rebirth)
Superman Vol. 1: Son Of Superman (Rebirth)
Superman Vol. 2: Trials of the Super Son (Rebirth)

All for $34.62 (free shipping and an extra 15% off code).

I hope these are decent books for someone who has never read any Flash or Superman. The descriptions made it seem as such.

I hope these are decent books for someone who has never read any Flash or Superman. The descriptions made it seem as such.

I hope so too, I just got The Flash vol 1 and it's also my first Flash book, so fingers crossed! Super man's fine for new readers, I was a little confused on one specific point about a side character but even then it doesn't matter much. By and large it's pretty accessible.

skybald

Superman is one of the very best books out there. Flash less so, but I still enjoy it.

How are the Batman rebirth books compared to the Flash in terms of accessibility, story, and art?

Or, what are the two 'best' series in DC Rebirth for a total noob. I will read anything.

How are the Batman rebirth books compared to the Flash in terms of accessibility, story, and art?
You'll get a mix of answers to that question here haha. Some people love it, some loathe it. I feel it's somewhere in the middle with a few great issues here and there. It's very accessible to new readers. King has done his own thing, you don't need to have read previous runs. As for the art, Finch and Janin have done the majority of it, with Janin being my preference. It's all been good though.

dan2026

Well I just saw some spoilers for Secret Empire.

And I think Marvel might of outdone themselves on awful event storytelling this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom