• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transformers-More-Than-Meets-The-Eye-18-Preview-05_1371537228.jpg

Regarding Dark Horse

&

As for Image

Haha, I'm half pulling your chain man, you have fair points for both publishers. This is probably the boring answer, but it follows along with a lot of what you mentioned about Image and their success not necessarily being predicated on itself, because I would apply that to them all at the end of the day. There's many layers to this stuff, and you can definitely look at which publisher does a better job than others, which have fucked up and so on, but honestly the way I look at it is: I have favourite writers. Favourite artists. Those guys have favourite publishers. A lot of the pros and cons of a publisher have little to do with me bar obvious things like how much the paperback is, otherwise that's their relationship. Now if a publisher is doing it's end right or is on my wavelength, it's going to end up putting out content from creators I love & respect consistently, and that will cause me to look favourably on them for a time, but honestly I'm not a very good industry critic; for every example of good at a publisher there's bad, like the DH examples, so I try and keep it simple. Follow the creators, not the publisher or the characters, which is a clean loop back to the fact comics are exciting!

To give an proper answer to the publisher thing, I would say Image most consistently put out the largest breadth of books that excite me though, and DH put out (less of them but) the books that most excite me most so I can really only say I like them more than the others right now. That's not something I can apply to everyone else though and say these guys are best full stop, but that's where I'm at. I think DC have a great forward facing attitude right now and are making moves that are exciting, even if I'm waiting for the mooost exciting books to filter down to trade (young animal, wildstorm!) still, and I'm honestly pretty ignorant to Marvel right now. I only read a few books and most of them are slated to be ending, or the team is leaving, so I can't really say much of anything about them at the mo without having checked much of their line as it exists right now.

Haha, I'm half pulling your chain man, you have fair points for both publishers. This is probably the boring answer, but it follows along with a lot of what you mentioned about Image and their success not necessarily being predicated on itself, because I would apply that to them all at the end of the day. There's many layers to this stuff, and you can definitely look at which publisher does a better job than others, which have fucked up and so on, but honestly the way I look at it is: I have favourite writers. Favourite artists. Those guys have favourite publishers. A lot of the pros and cons of a publisher have little to do with me bar obvious things like how much the paperback is, otherwise that's their relationship. Now if a publisher is doing it's end right or is on my wavelength, it's going to end up putting out content from creators I love & respect consistently, and that will cause me to look favourably on them for a time, but honestly I'm not a very good industry critic; for every example of good at a publisher there's bad, like the DH examples, so I try and keep it simple. Follow the creators, not the publisher or the characters, which is a clean loop back to the fact comics are exciting!

To give an proper answer to the publisher thing, I would say Image most consistently put out the largest breadth of books that excite me though, and DH put out the book that most excite me so I can really only say I like them more than the others right now. That's not something I can apply to everyone else though and say these guys are best full stop, but that's where I'm at. I think DC have a great forward facing attitude right now and are making moves that are exciting, even if I'm waiting for the mooost exciting books to filter down to trade (young animal, wildstorm!) still, and I'm honestly pretty ignorant to Marvel right now. I only read a few books and most of them are slated to be ending, or the team is leaving, so I can't really say much of anything about them at the mo without having checked much of their line as it exists right now.

See, I don't fault you for having this stance. Those are the things that matter to you, and of course, a lot of those also factor into what I care about when I look at publishers. The things that make me see publishers certain ways may just be characteristic to me. I know that the Donny Cates thing is just something I'm really bitter about, because Paybacks was incredible and it didn't get the recognition it deserved at the time. The Image perspective is also something I don't hear very often, so I think that's unique to me too; it's true, though, they probably have the most impressive output; it's definitely one of my favorites and I read a lot of their books.

As for Marvel, I'm in a weird place. I'll be frank - I don't like what the publisher is doing as a whole. There are definitely some good books in there, but I feel like the cohesiveness that was initially appealing about the bigger universes has been tainted in this case by poor leadership at the top. I've been soured by my books being taken over by meaningless tie-ins. I'm just kind of waiting for those good creators' books to trickle down into trade so I can read it like that. I have little interest in keeping up with this universe, and fwiw, I backed All-New All-Different really hard when it came around.

See, I don't fault you for having this stance. Those are the things that matter to you, and of course, a lot of those also factor into what I care about when I look at publishers. The things that make me see publishers certain ways may just be characteristic to me. I know that the Donny Cates thing is just something I'm really bitter about, because Paybacks was incredible and it didn't get the recognition it deserved at the time. The Image perspective is also something I don't hear very often, so I think that's unique to me too; it's true, though, they probably have the most impressive output; it's definitely one of my favorites and I read a lot of their books.

As for Marvel, I'm in a weird place. I'll be frank - I don't like what the publisher is doing as a whole. There are definitely some good books in there, but I feel like the cohesiveness that was initially appealing about the bigger universes has been tainted in this case by poor leadership at the top. I've been soured by my books being taken over by meaningless tie-ins. I'm just kind of waiting for those good creators' books to trickle down into trade so I can read it like that. I have little interest in keeping up with this universe, and fwiw, I backed All-New All-Different really hard when it came around.

On the other side, I can get behind the way you're coming at this stuff and why. I don't necessarily go that way fully, but I see the sense. I can take the creators route but if (let's face it, when) one of my favourite books gets stiffed, you know I'll have a least favourite publisher in that moment. Also, an embarrassing moment for me, but still no Cates books read by these eyes, depsite him seeming like the nicest guy on twitter. The Ghost Fleet looked reaaal good though, I'm gonna jump on his Image stuff then go back and hoover that up if I like what I read. Don't think I'm familiar with The Paybacks at all actually?

& yea, while I'll try and just focus on the creator at Marvel, just knuckle down and follow those Aaron & Lemire books for as long as they last, I would be stupid to ignore the problems they have had. It definitely has led to a very creator driven case by case judgement for me whereas I will start at that point with DC but I will take a gamble with the goodwill I have and say say not with some other books, and I'm probably more flexible on my mindset with them right now.

This is actually what's appealing to me about Valiant and makes me want to jump in right now. Strong creator driven books with an identity, that get solid runs even if they aren't forever (and there's definitely nothing wrong with that for me as long as it's upfront, similar with Mr Miracle being 12 issues up front), and it's something where when I'm looking and thinking about jumping in, I'm actually like "okay these are the creators I know, but I kind of want to try more than just that". Good will does go a long way, I won't deny that.

BK NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On the other side, I can get behind the way you're coming at this stuff and why. I don't necessarily go that way fully, but I see the sense. I can take the creators route but if (let's face it, when) one of my favourite books gets stiffed, you know I'll have a least favourite publisher in that moment. Also, an embarrassing moment for me, but still no Cates books read by these eyes, depsite him seeming like the nicest guy on twitter. The Ghost Fleet looked reaaal good though, I'm gonna jump on his Image stuff then go back and hoover that up if I like what I read. Don't think I'm familiar with The Paybacks at all actually?

& yea, while I'll try and just focus on the creator at Marvel, just knuckle down and follow those Aaron & Lemire books for as long as they last, I would be stupid to ignore the problems they have had. It definitely has led to a very creator driven case by case judgement for me whereas I will start at that point with DC but I will take a gamble with the goodwill I have and say say not with some other books, and I'm probably more flexible on my mindset with them right now.

This is actually what's appealing to me about Valiant and makes me want to jump in right now. Strong creator driven books with an identity, that get solid runs even if they aren't forever (and there's definitely nothing wrong with that for me as long as it's upfront, similar with Mr Miracle being 12 issues up front), and it's something where when I'm looking and thinking about jumping in, I'm actually like "okay these are the creators I know, but I kind of want to try more than just that". Good will does go a long way, I won't deny that.

I started reading Cates with The Ghost Fleet just before it got cancelled; it's exceptional. Oh, wait, that's the other thing they screwed him on. They had shortened his run to 12 issues after it was performing poorly, then they shortened it again down to 8 halfway through the second arc or something. There was a meta-joke about it in the last issue. I starting reading The Paybacks when Ghost Fleet got cancelled, then I went back and read Buzzkill since it was in the same universe. I've read everything he's put out since. The Paybacks is my favorite by a large margin. He flexes a lot of different muscles in that book - comedy, drama, action - and it all blends together superbly.

Yeah, that's definitely a feeling I can relate to. Now Lemire isn't even around at Marvel, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Valiant plans their stuff out pretty well. I'm not saying it's perfect, because they tease things then it doesn't happen for a long time, but they have their books ready way ahead of when they're going to release. I've heard of them holding books back to give other titles a chance to grab an audience and have a smaller, tighter lineup of books. I was also reading about how it's hard for them to churn out a new series quickly when they have a miniseries that turns out to be really successful because they have their work ready many months ahead of when it's due for release. They always have set runs for their series, and if they don't, it's usually evident. I've actually found it harder to keep up because I'm not usually in the know, so I'm the last one to find out that something was planned as a miniseries at 9 or 12 issues.

Who here hasn't been banned? I feel l like we all did some time.

Me? Only been here 2 years but I've just got a warning for calling someone who fully believed Sandy Hook was fake a "fucking idiot" in one of the post-election "Woohoo! Trump is president!" threads that got locked right away.

The Wild Storm

I really dug this issue. I really like how it's going about each issue to focus a little more on each character while still getting all the odds and ends. I'm all good with some more Bendix.

Never for me. But I tend to stick to community threads.

Vic_Viper

Getting into DC was a mistake. I spent enough money on comics before, but now I'm looking at how much it would cost to catch up with series I want to read, and it honestly makes me feel uncomfortable. I wish there was a library here that had American comics :(

There are going to be Deluxe editions released that have the first 3 trades for all the big DC Rebirth books. Flash is first and then Justice League, Batman, and a few others. They are the perfect way to catch up on everything since Rebirth and will only cost like $20 a book!

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Rebirth-Deluxe-Book/dp/1401271324/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495038429&sr=8-1&keywords=Batman+rebirth+deluxe

$17.49 at DCBService.com Preorder!

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/may170322/batman-rebirth-dlx-coll-hc-book-01-special-discount

I locked myself out of my old account by leaving my old university email address linked to it, which got closed down lol. Had to wait like six months for a new account to be approved and start again as a junior. That's kind of like the ultimate self ban right?

You seen this Donnie?

I did, and it is awesome! This thing feels so real already.

I locked myself out of my old account by leaving my old university email address linked to it, which got closed down lol. Had to wait like six months for a new account to be approved and start again as a junior. That's kind of like the ultimate self ban right?

I did, and it is awesome! This thing feels so real already.

Oh right, is it possible to switch email address from my school email(that'll be gone in like a month)to a gmail address?

Oh right, is it possible to switch email address from my school email(that'll be gone in like a month)to a gmail address?

mmm, not sure about gmail actually. You should be finish though, even if you miss the cut off. I missed out the most embarrassing part, which was I realised the old account had been shut down after I sent a password reset to it. Lol. Unless you replicate that bit of magic, you should be okay

VanWinkle

There are going to be Deluxe editions released that have the first 3 trades for all the big DC Rebirth books. Flash is first and then Justice League, Batman, and a few others. They are the perfect way to catch up on everything since Rebirth and will only cost like $20 a book!

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Rebirth-Deluxe-Book/dp/1401271324/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495038429&sr=8-1&keywords=Batman+rebirth+deluxe

$17.49 at DCBService.com Preorder!

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/may170322/batman-rebirth-dlx-coll-hc-book-01-special-discount

Two trades, not three. But still a great deal.

mmm, not sure about gmail actually. You should be finish though, even if you miss the cut off. I missed out the most embarrassing part, which was I realised the old account had been shut down after I sent a password reset to it. Lol. Unless you replicate that bit of magic, you should be okay

What kind of email did you end up using for the new one?

Snyder interview with talk of all his books. The Metal part:
Scott and I talked for about thirty minutes regarding Metal and the arc he’s working on for DC Comics this summer and this is all of the spoiler-free info that I can give you.

The series imagines the existence of a Dark Multiverse.

It will feature a creature that is linked to both Darkseid and Batman.

The Court of Owls has a hand in the events.

There will be a Dark Multiverse version of one of our heroes. More than one in fact.

There will be a series of one shots linked to the overall story.

The story is going all out and there will be huge concepts throughout with heroes from all over the DC universe getting together to end the threat.

There will be huge sequences and action but it will also pull on some emotional threads connected to many of the heroes.

Scott Snyder: I’m trying really hard to make an event that lasts. Something that’s an expansion of the cosmology and such but at the end of the day, the most important thing is that people walk away from it feeling that this is a celebratory thing about the greatness of superheroes in dark times. I just want them to have fun.

Vic_Viper

Just found out Grant Morrison's Happy! was picked up by Syfy to become a TV series. Now it wasnt the greatest thing Morrison has ever done but it was fun and could be an awesome mini series for TV if done right. Do we know if its going to be a full fledged series, or are they just doing a short one off season with like 9 or 10 episodes? Cant wait to see how they handle the blue Unicorn lol. I hope it looks like a illustrated cartoon character and not CGI, kinda like Rodger Rabbit.

Will this be Morrison's first comic adaptation made for tv? Outside of the Invisibles with the Matrix ;)

Sou Da

Hm. It seems that the "Assigned Male" webcomic creator got really fucked over, I never liked the comic but what happened to her is pretty fucked up.

Dalek

Never been banned, but I don't post all that much.

On topic: Squirrel Girl is still the best book the stands, obviously.

Squirrel Girl really is fantastic.

The Button was really great-I loved it but I still think it was cruel to
take away Jay as soon as he returns...

I started reading Cates with The Ghost Fleet just before it got cancelled; it's exceptional. Oh, wait, that's the other thing they screwed him on. They had shortened his run to 12 issues after it was performing poorly, then they shortened it again down to 8 halfway through the second arc or something. There was a meta-joke about it in the last issue. I starting reading The Paybacks when Ghost Fleet got cancelled, then I went back and read Buzzkill since it was in the same universe. I've read everything he's put out since. The Paybacks is my favorite by a large margin. He flexes a lot of different muscles in that book - comedy, drama, action - and it all blends together superbly.

Yeah, that's definitely a feeling I can relate to. Now Lemire isn't even around at Marvel, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Valiant plans their stuff out pretty well. I'm not saying it's perfect, because they tease things then it doesn't happen for a long time, but they have their books ready way ahead of when they're going to release. I've heard of them holding books back to give other titles a chance to grab an audience and have a smaller, tighter lineup of books. I was also reading about how it's hard for them to churn out a new series quickly when they have a miniseries that turns out to be really successful because they have their work ready many months ahead of when it's due for release. They always have set runs for their series, and if they don't, it's usually evident. I've actually found it harder to keep up because I'm not usually in the know, so I'm the last one to find out that something was planned as a miniseries at 9 or 12 issues.

I'm going to be honest, even as someone who likes DH a lot and thinks they put out some pretty cool series right now (Black Hammer, Dept. H, Harrow County), when I see someone announce a creator owned indie book for them, I do kind of worry why not Image. Although conversely, I did think why not DH when Arcudi announced Rumble, since he has cache there. Definitely going to track some Cates down though, God Country looks great. Plus he genuinely does seem like a cool guy, for whatever that is worth.

That honestly all sounds cool, I'm down for specific run times that leave you with a really nice run on the shelf and a complete story. The only thing I've noticed that I'm not a big fan of is all their trades are 4 issues? And apparently X-O 2017 will be 3 a piece? That is a liiiittle rough haha because the prices aren't that different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom