• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNarez

Banned
Nightwing #21 is a fill-in issue, but it's got a PRETTY DANG GOOD TEASER for what's coming up and
holy shit, Seeley is bringing back Tiger Shark, so there's a chance we might be going on some Black Mirror shit

Teen Titans

I really really really love about 3/4's of this issue. Then it gets kind of dumb.

Damien will now always be referred to as a small meaner Santa.

Superman

There is a lot of shit going down in one small town.

caliph95

Superman

So for clarification the super team fighing that monster was supposed to be people theey know from the town right.

Also as it was obvious
Manchester Black, though it was called a while ago
is back in black

Superman

So for clarification the super team fighing that monster was supposed to be people theey know from the town right.

Also as it was obvious
Manchester Black, though it was called a while ago
is back in black

Yeah, think they've shown stuff like Jon's teacher or principal and then like some kind of private instructor before. They weren't very prominent but they've made a point to show a decent amount of towns people before.

Where are the Wild Storm #4 (non spoiler) impressions!

At work now, will be next thing I read on break.

caliph95

Yeah, think they've shown stuff like Jon's teacher or principal and then like some kind of private instructor before. They weren't very prominent but they've made a point to show a decent amount of towns people before.
Thanks also damnit just realised
The Elite and Super Elite connection

The Rebirth issue of The Flash started off pretty strong but I think I probably should have read the dc Rebirth issue before this. The actual stuff going on seems interesting but since it's telling someone else's plot from an alternate angle, it kind of glosses over all the detail and parts that would make it exciting. This is one of those cases where as an issue that someone could have picked up as their first comic, it would have been better to either actually retreat the Rebirth issue more directly, or just not cover that stuff at all directly. Instead it's a weird middle group that only really works as a side to something else or "here's what The Flash's thought bubbles were during Rebirth #1" . I do like the art though.

The Rebirth issue of The Flash started off pretty strong but I think I probably should have read the dc Rebirth issue before this. The actual stuff going on seems interesting but since it's telling someone else's plot from an alternate angle, it kind of glosses over all the detail and parts that would make it exciting. This is one of those cases where as an issue that someone could have picked up as their first comic, it would have been better to either actually retreat the Rebirth issue more directly, or just not cover that stuff at all directly. Instead it's a weird middle group that only really works as a side to something else or "here's what The Flash's thought bubbles were during Rebirth #1" . I do like the art though.

This is where I think this should more be Rebirth #2, than a cross-over. It just works as more of a second issue in a series than it works as a Batman/Flash cross-over. It just doesn't feel like a self contained story very well. Yeah it was always meant to be a follow up to Rebirth, but it being a cross-over with Batman and Flash I feel implies it should have it's own story while also being a follow up. But we end up just closing out the Reverse Flash loop and Batman seeing his father as "The Button's" actual plot.

This is where I think this should more be Rebirth #2, than a cross-over. It just works as more of a second issue in a series than it works as a Batman/Flash cross-over. It just doesn't feel like a self contained story very well. Yeah it was always meant to be a follow up to Rebirth, but it being a cross-over with Batman and Flash I feel implies it should have it's own story while also being a follow up. But we end up just closing out the Reverse Flash loop and Batman seeing his father as "The Button's" actual plot.

Oh wait lol sorry dude I'm sitting here reading the actual Flash vol 1 over lunch, not the button crossover haha although that's hilarious that the exact same critique applies closely enough that it comes off as being about the other book. I didn't think about the fact you guys were discussing the new book when I was writing that up. L

tim1138

The change to the last page of Tec makes a lot of sense since
the entire Tim Drake story was cut from the Button. I figured something was up when I saw the final cover for the Flash and the slightly visible "Red Robin" name from the original cover reveal was replaced with Reverse Flash. So the page was changed not to prevent a Button spoiler but because that particular plot point was completely dropped.

Oh wait lol sorry dude I'm sitting here reading the actual Flash vol 1 over lunch, not the button crossover haha although that's hilarious that the exact same critique applies closely enough that it comes off as being about the other book. I didn't think about the fact you guys were discussing the new book when I was writing that up. L

Haha, wow. That's pretty great. Now reading again, I feel dumb but the critique kind of fits pretty well.

The whole Rebirth vs #1 thing was very weird going from book to book. Some books just retread a lot of it, some treated it like the actual number 1 or a 0 issue. Then you had stuff like Batman that was basically a standalone.

The change to the last page of Tec makes a lot since
the entire Tim Drake story was cut from the Button. I figured something was up when I saw the final cover for the Flash and the slightly visible "Red Robin" name from the original cover reveal was replaced with Reverse Flash. So the page was changed not to prevent a Button spoiler but because that particular plot point was completely dropped.

I actually completely forgot about that.
Wonder how it would have come in. I was thinking at the time they'd just see him while going through the time stream, but the stuff with Jay makes that seem not likely as it would have been out of place. Also makes me think maybe plans with Oz have changed. Maybe don't want him associated with the Rebirth stuff anymore?

Haha, wow. That's pretty great. Now reading again, I feel dumb but the critique kind of fits pretty well.

The whole Rebirth vs #1 thing was very weird going from book to book. Some books just retread a lot of it, some treated it like the actual number 1 or a 0 issue. Then you had stuff like Batman that was basically a standalone.

Haha I'm definitely taking note of what you guys are saying in broad strokes though, I think I'll probably pick up Rebirth and The Button as a two book set and just read them as the one thing, rather than any sort of stand alone idea.

Yea it's a bit odd, honestly in most cases of the trades I've read so far it would have been better just to kick off with the #1 rather than the Rebirth issues. The idea of a primer issue was a good one but the way some of them ended up, it seems like it might have been easier just to give context as most books went about their business for new readers.

Has anyone enjoyed Titans or is Booth's art keeping everyone away?

Titan's first arc was kind of slow and boring, but it's been pretty great since.

I've actually loved the art for Titans, do people not like it?

Hmm, because I thinking about grabbing the trade for that when I get those two, given Wally's role in it. I feel like I've read negative stuff about Booth's art on the book man, but truth be told, I could be wrong, just what I've picked up!

One last thing about the Flash, after this issue I would love to see Howard Porter drawing
Justice Society Rebirth

Is JL 3000/1 worth going back for? I always loved the look of Porter's stuff on that, not sure what he's been doing since. Also after it came up last week that Etrigan shows up haha

TheFlow

Banned
anyone think we are going to get some New God spinoff books after King starts it off? We already have Bug, but I want more.

tim1138

I actually completely forgot about that.
Wonder how it would have come in. I was thinking at the time they'd just see him while going through the time stream, but the stuff with Jay makes that seem not likely as it would have been out of place. Also makes me think maybe plans with Oz have changed. Maybe don't want him associated with the Rebirth stuff anymore?

Based on what I was told originally appeared in Tec,
they were going to see Tim in Oz's prison somehow, because Bruce knew he was alive and vowed to find his way back there to save him.

Is JL 3000/1 worth going back for? I always loved the look of Porter's stuff on that, not sure what he's been doing since. Also after it came up last week that Etrigan shows up haha

I really liked JL3000 but cooled a bit on 3001. Both books ended on cliffhangers with none of the major plot points resolved though, which in hindsight makes me like them less. Porter crushed the art on 3000 and the issues he did on 3001 before he left, I actually have a copy of 3001 signed by him.

I really liked JL3000 but cooled a bit on 3001. Both books ended on cliffhangers with none of the major plot points resolved though, which in hindsight makes me like them less. Porter crushed the art on 3000 and the issues he did on 3001 before he left, I actually have a copy of 3001 signed by him.

Ah lack of resolution is pretty offputting. I don't mind a short run that was cancelled, but if the plot was left hanging, that takes the appeal a way a bit. The art was great though, where did you score the signed copy?

Oh, is it fair to assume in Green Lanterns vol 1 that
there is a nod towards Rebirth as well? The exiled guardian references finding evidence far out in space that time and reality has been tampered with? Definitely read like Rebirth shenanigans, that's some coincidence otherwise lol

Flash #22

Great finale overall.
Confirmed a lot of the stuff many of us were guessing, plus the Jay Garrick stuff was really touching.

Archie #8-17

I fell behind on this last year, but boy do I regret it. This is some real quality slice-of-life stuff. Waid is writing the heck out of this book, in ways I wouldn't expect. It's a really heartfelt book at its core and I just love that. I'm trying to see if I can get Hoopla to catch up on the remaining issues, but I'll be picking them up soon..

Super Sons #1-3

This book is really really fun. I think after writing B&R and Superman, Tomasi has a really good grasp on these two characters and he knows how to make them play off each other so it's not just an interchanging of stereotypical dialogue. The art is also a standout. I'll be following this one monthly, for sure.

tim1138

Ah lack of resolution is pretty offputting. I don't mind a short run that was cancelled, but if the plot was left hanging, that takes the appeal a way a bit. The art was great though, where did you score the signed copy?

Oh, is it fair to assume in Green Lanterns vol 1 that
there is a nod towards Rebirth as well? The exiled guardian references finding evidence far out in space that time and reality has been tampered with? Definitely read like Rebirth shenanigans, that's some coincidence otherwise lol

Porter gave away a handful of copies on Twitter and I was lucky enough to get one.

Yep, that's one of only like two mentions of Rebirth stuff in the Lantern titles. The other is in Hal Jordan and was just a month or so ago.

Aizo

Banned
Just finished The Monster Men. I... didn't really like it very much. Dang. I was so hype to read King's Batman, but I'm a bit underwhelmed so far. I'm hoping I Am Suicide is more interesting. Definitely enjoying Detective Comics more than Batman so far.

Just finished The Monster Men. I... didn't really like it very much. Dang. I was so hype to read King's Batman, but I'm a bit underwhelmed so far. I'm hoping I Am Suicide is more interesting. Definitely enjoying Detective Comics more than Batman so far.

Tec > Batman, but I Am Suicide is a really good story.

Haha I think I was a tad more positive, I thought Monster Men was just fine, no real dislike and I liked the visuals a lot, I thought they added a nice tone bit similarly I wouldn't say I loved it either and in general I came out of Bats vol 1 and MM like okaaaay. Looking for vol 2 to really make good and elevate the thing, make it feel more cohesive. Got it sitting in this wave of trades so I guess I'll find out, have you got it?

Also I think King is so under the spotlight from being SO good so immediately with his other stuff, it can be difficult to look at vol 1 of Batman and just roll with it, despite the fact the dude should command a lot of faith. It's weird how that stuff can double back on itself sometimes.

Holy shit Deadpool vs. Punisher 3 is like 50% Taskmaster just going ham.

Finds out that Bank's kid memorizes all the account numbers of every criminal organizations money, cancels his job to retrieve the numbers for Banks when Banks tells him to kill his wife and capture his child, then beheads the wife with his shield when she shoots at him because he wants to get the numbers from the kid. So now he has the kid with Deadpool and Punisher on his trail. His role in this is a lot bigger than I expected it to be.

I love how Van Lente writes him. The perfect mix of professional, brutal, and polite. And gives everyone in his way a chance to get out of it before putting them down hard.

I gotta say, I'm really happy with DC's output and that they've been able to keep up the momentum from Rebirth. I was worried that would just peter out and a year later we'd be looking at Rebirth as another lukewarm attempt to shake things up. I think DC is my #2 publisher right now, and it's really interesting to me how they've been able to adopt several of the things that I commend Valiant for. I've been a DC fan long before I ever touched Valiant, or before I was into comics as seriously as I am now, but they were the first ones I started reading, so it's a really great feeling to have them come back to form after, for lack of a better phrase, making me absolutely bitter in the last few years. It feels like they're listening to fans more; taking more risks; not **completely** derailing series with crossovers, or if they happen, trying to make them meaningful to the characters involved before roping them in. In many cases, these are small and subtle things, but they work so well and bring out much better products that both sell well and read well.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Comics excite me in a way no other medium does.

Haha I think I was a tad more positive, I thought Monster Men was just fine, no real dislike and I liked the visuals a lot, I thought they added a nice tone bit similarly I wouldn't say I loved it either and in general I came out of Bats vol 1 and MM like okaaaay. Looking for vol 2 to really make good and elevate the thing, make it feel more cohesive. Got it sitting in this wave of trades so I guess I'll find out, have you got it?

Also I think King is so under the spotlight from being SO good so immediately with his other stuff, it can be difficult to look at vol 1 of Batman and just roll with it, despite the fact the dude should command a lot of faith. It's weird how that stuff can double back on itself sometimes.

Also, I think it's harder for King to write Batman because he's such an established character and we just came off what is probably one of the top 10 runs of all time; it's understandable that people have expectations and that King won't necessarily take him in the same direction or still just needs to get accustomed to writing Batman. Conversely, with The Omega Men, the characters weren't as well-established and he could pretty much write them from the ground up. I would also argue Vision is probably a lot easier to grasp as a character. That said, the first arc of Batman had some really interesting ideas, but the story wasn't really as good as it probably could have been, either. King is still a crazy good writer, but it's understandable that he didn't hit the ground running with Batman.

Has there been any follow up to the thing Gotham Girl said about her and Batman in like issue #6 or 7
about marriage and death?
? Or did King the madman drop a plot hint for a story 30 issues in the future?

Aizo

Banned

I'll probably pull the trigger on volume two tomorrow or Friday. I have an almost 3 hour train ride Saturday morning, so I'll be putting in some reading.

--

Any reason another DC sale might come up in the near future on comixology? I wanna buy Superman, but I don't want to see the price drop right after I buy it. I can wait a bit.

Monster Men was dog shit...but that wasn't really King. Says it's a King story but scripted by Orlando. I've still yet to find anything I like done by Orlando that isn't Midnighter.

I've generally been more positive with Batman than most the thread, but I didn't like I am Suicide where as I really liked Gotham.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. Comics excite me in a way no other medium does.

Also, I think it's harder for King to write Batman because he's such an established character and we just came off what is probably one of the top 10 runs of all time; it's understandable that people have expectations and that King won't necessarily take him in the same direction or still just needs to get accustomed to writing Batman. Conversely, with The Omega Men, the characters weren't as well-established and he could pretty much write them from the ground up. I would also argue Vision is probably a lot easier to grasp as a character. That said, the first arc of Batman had some really interesting ideas, but the story wasn't really as good as it probably could have been, either. King is still a crazy good writer, but it's understandable that he didn't hit the ground running with Batman.

Yea, those are valid and well thought out points. There's definitely a big shift with Batman in terms of there already being a strong belief, or even beliefs, of what and who and how Batman is, and you need to work harder to sell folks on your own interpretation in that circumstance, especially when he obviously hasn't picked the easy route of just carrying on Snyder's version. Also just grappling with Batman is a tougher task. Don't get me wrong either BTW I did like volume 1 but honestly it felt like half of an interesting idea presented in many cases, and that he was really writing for the run oppose to the trade, so I kind of rest at I liked it but I kind of need vol 2 to nail it too to feel fully good. He's always an interesting dude though, in terms of the pure writing craft above the actual plot of it all, and very compelling on any outing to actually read.

So I pretty much agree wholesale
except for that publisher stuff. I'm sure there's a Dark Horse or an Image coming to mind that I'd have to consider before plackng DC up there ;)

Should have skipped it. You lose nothing if you miss it, aside from the foundation for Batwoman's book. Even then, all you need is, "some little shit used monster serum to fuck shit up in Gotham and now it's on the black market. Find and stop it." So far DC's on its 4th crossover, and that's the only one I disliked. Superman Reborn and The Button have been great. Lazarus Contract has had one issue, but I thought it was good.

Should have skipped it. You lose nothing if you miss it, aside from the foundation for Batwoman's book. Even then, all you need is, "some little shit used monster serum to fuck shit up in Gotham and now it's on the black market. Find and stop it." So far DC's on its 4th crossover, and that's the only one I disliked. Superman Reborn and The Button have been great. Lazarus Contract has had one issue, but I thought it was good.

Second issue today, actually think it's better than the first issue. Just has some kind of silly shit at the end.

dan2026

The only thing I have really liked about King's Batman was The Ventriloquist vs the Psycho Pirate.
Which was a long set up for one gag.

But the rest was fairly meh.

Second issue today, actually think it's better than the first issue. Just has some kind of silly shit at the end.
Well the whole thing came off as rather silly, to me.
Somehow I don't buy Slade avenging his son that time forgot. It doesn't work for me.
I'm glad to hear positive things about the second.

I'm really interested in seeing more reaction to today's Batman issue. I've been pretty positive on his stuff, but this issue annoys the hell out of me. But it feels more like a traditional Batman issue and I'm wondering if others will like it.

Well the whole thing came off as rather silly, to me.
Somehow I don't buy Slade avenging his son that time forgot. It doesn't work for me.
I'm glad to hear positive things about the second.

I was the exact same.
I hated that he woke up after having a pretty big breakthrough in his own book and instead of caring about Rose or Jericho he just wants to look into this other kid? Fuck that. It does address this issue a bit, but I just liked this issues take on it all more as it deals more with the Teen Titans.

Aizo

Banned
Getting into DC was a mistake. I spent enough money on comics before, but now I'm looking at how much it would cost to catch up with series I want to read, and it honestly makes me feel uncomfortable. I wish there was a library here that had American comics :(

Yea, those are valid and well thought out points. There's definitely a big shift with Batman in terms of there already being a strong belief, or even beliefs, of what and who and how Batman is, and you need to work harder to sell folks on your own interpretation in that circumstance, especially when he obviously hasn't picked the easy route of just carrying on Snyder's version. Also just grappling with Batman is a tougher task. Don't get me wrong either BTW I did like volume 1 but honestly it felt like half of an interesting idea presented in many cases, and that he was really writing for the run oppose to the trade, so I kind of rest at I liked it but I kind of need vol 2 to nail it too to feel fully good. He's always an interesting dude though, in terms of the pure writing craft above the actual plot of it all, and very compelling on any outing.

So I pretty much agree wholesale
except for that publisher stuff. I'm sure there's a Dark Horse or an Image coming to mind that I'd have to consider before plackng DC up there ;)

Regarding Dark Horse, I know they've been good with the Mignola stuff for a long time and I very obviously still buy a lot of their things, but they did my man Donny Cates dirty. I can't find the source, but Ed told me about how Cates was in a meeting with DH marketing at one point, and they were trying to decide how to best market The Paybacks. At one point after discussions had taken place, based on the direction it was going, Cates asked them, "have you guys actually read the book?" The book got cancelled over there after the fourth issues and they eventually moved to Heavy Metal, but I feel like we would have gotten a more substantial run if they had treated the book with a little more care.

As for Image, I always argue that Image is a tough company to back with a blanket statement of "oh yeah they're fantastic." They have fantastic books and it's home to some of the most successful non-cape books. However, the success and actual quality of the books are down to the creator, and that can vary wildly. If you can say Marvel or other publishers have too heavy a hand in the direction of its books, then Image would be the other extreme. The ability for a writer to continue to tell the stories he wants to tell lies completely with himself. So, I commend Image for facilitating the kind of books it does, but their success or quality is not predicated on Image itself. Also, Justin Jordan made a case about why the $9.99 trade is not great for those Image books that are not as successful as the Sagas or TWDs. It's very pro-consumer, but it's not exactly the best practice when you're a creator and you're incurring some opportunity cost (or even a loss).

dan2026

Honestly my feelings on The Button is there wasn't enough story for 4 issues.
This could easily of been told in 3 or even 2 issues.

There was some good stuff like Batman meeting his father and
Jay Garrick
showing up.
But it felt like a lot of fluff just to reveal
Dr Manhattan.

I was the exact same.
I hated that he woke up after having a pretty big breakthrough in his own book and instead of caring about Rose or Jericho he just wants to look into this other kid? Fuck that. It does address this issue a bit, but I just liked this issues take on it all more as it deals more with the Teen Titans.
Now I dunno what gets said in this issue yet, but Slade must have been planning this. He's been spying on the Titans for awhile now because that's how he knew about Wally. Otherwise why else would he care?

Aahahahaha:

tumblr_oq3awoMukP1sajkn0o1_r1_1280.jpg

Honestly my feelings on The Button is there wasn't enough story for 4 issues.
This could easily of been told in 3 or even 2 issues.

There was some good stuff like Batman meeting his father and
Jay Garrick
showing up.
But it felt like a lot of fluff just to reveal
Dr Manhattan.
I agree. The Button storyline felt like it could of been another issue at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom