• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading more of JLA by Morrison and Waid. Still great. One of the things I really like is how they rotate members of the team without waiting for a big relaunch or event like they do for everything now. One issue will have Pepsi Blue Superman, next has regular Superman and Hippolyta Wonder Woman. They keep the story going instead of stopping constantly. It's really fun.

Reading more of JLA by Morrison and Waid. Still great. One of the things I really like is how they rotate members of the team without waiting for a big relaunch or event like they do for everything now. One issue will have Pepsi Blue Superman, next has regular Superman and Hippolyta Wonder Woman. They keep the story going instead of stopping constantly. It's really fun.

Exiles did something to that effect, too.

The way it worked back in the day is Morrison would write his whole arc using whatever status quo was available to him, and then check in to see what the teams were doing before writing the next arc. JLA was always a huge "moment in time" for the DC Universe. It also helped that he defined the Big Seven and then offered up the fluid cast of extras. Of course, you have to somewhat keep up with what was going on the in the DCU.

Such a hard run to follow, which is why most of the JLA teams after have groups of various B-list heroes anchored by 1-3 members of the Big Seven.

Hitch's run is trying to do the same, but for some reason it does nothing for me.

VanWinkle

The way it worked back in the day is Morrison would writer his whole arc using whatever status quo was available to him, and then check in to see what the teams were doing before writing the next arc. JLA was always a huge "moment in time" for the DC Universe. It also helped that he defined the Big Seven and then offered up the fluid cast of extras. Of course, you have to somewhat keep up with what was going on the in the DCU.

Such a hard run to follow, which is why most of the JLA teams after have groups of various B-list heroes anchored by 1-3 members of the Big Seven.

Hitch's run is trying to do that same, but for some reason it does nothing for me.

Because he's not nearly as good a writer. A cool concept is only good if it is written well.

Vibranium

Banned
Or maybe even ComiXology unlimited outside of the US. Because it throwing it in my face every time I browse even though I'm logged in and ineligible is a pain.

Yeah that too. Marvel Unlimited is at least available though, so it doesn't hurt as much.

I would buy an Image subscription service in a heartbeat.

Destiny felt mechanically great. The shooting and abilities mechanics were rather smooth and intuitive. The problem is the world felt dead and the narrative went nowhere. There was no hook to hang your head on.

Halo was very good at providing context and an interesting wrapper on what was largely a basic first-person shooter. Bungie seemingly lost that with most of Destiny. Destiny 2 looks like they've gotten that groove back.
In some ways they're Bungie in name only anymore. A lot of key people who defined that company in the Halo days have moved on.

I won't be tricked into coming back. I flatly reject the idea of the loot grind as a way of making video games compelling. I want entertainment, not a habit.

Destiny 2 is gonna ruin video games for me.

I was really intrigued by the premise of the original, but the second they announced all that MMO-style stuff I completely lost interest. Never touched it and this will probably be the same. I'd really like Bungie to make me reconsider, though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I can't wait for Destiny 2's worlds to be just very narrow roads with absolutely nothing going on in them besides some respawning mobs.

Aizo

Banned
Renfe is an underground rail system. It's pretty handy. It's like the Luas but underground and much faster.

You couldn't stay in the bar with the girl or rent a room? Seems dangerous.
Oh! We went back to our hotel at 3am. It's not dangerous to be out late in Japan as long as you take typical precautions. I've never been in any danger here, and I used to live in a "dangerous" neighborhood where my Japanese friends would often offer to walk me home because they were worried about my safety. Nothing ever happened. Haha.

PsychBat!

Banned
Hoping to start A Link Between Worlds for the first time soon. I was never able to find it cheap when I had a 3DS, and I just rebought one. A Link to the Past is my favourite Zelda game so having a thematic sequel to that is rad.

They certainly knew what they were doing with the title screen music anyway.

I got Pokemon Sun as well though, I'm playing a lot of that the last few days.

ALBW is legitimately great. And should be recognized more in video retrospectives. At least for being a precursor of BOTW.

All the jokes I could make would be mean.
I think it may be related to buying many Image comics. It could even relate to buying them in a certain period.

Probably something like this. I buy too many books every week, but I didn't even think to use the coupon before today. Was kind of shocked by how much it took off the bill.

I didn't even notice, but the solicitations for #26 straight up lies. Remender did a good job keeping it a secret.

It was a great swerve.

Whats Dazzler doing these days?
She got the M-Pox post-Secret Wars and joined A-Force and were with them until the book was cancelled. She defeated Black Bolt in IvX. That's the last time we saw her.

Oh, and there was a Thor!Dazzler from Battleworld that died from M-Pox as well so there's another hammer just laying on the ground somewhere.

Edit: RIP Rich Buckler

Messi

Never got the 70% Image coupon, but they did notify me again of the Spawn sale. Thanks guys

Is it... not?!

A monthly Matt Fraction book with Dodson on art. Good luck. It takes Dodson a year to draw two red one issues and Fraction randomly ups and leaves books for months at a time.

Fred Van Lente is low key one of Marvel 's top writers. Slapstick ruled and he is knocking Deadpool vs The Punisher out of the park. I hope this means they'll keep giving him some major characters because this is one of the few times he's gotten to work with A-listers for Marvel. He already shows a better voice for Deadpool and Frank than the majority of their solo writers.

Read through Bunn's Blood Feud. It was actually pretty decent. Small miniseries with a straightforward premise (vampires attack small town) but the characters and tone of the book was interesting.

Also read through Batman '66 Meets The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. I didn't really enjoy the main series but this crossover was fun. Maybe because it was one large arc and we didn't spend every second panel with Batman and Robin. Or maybe because I really like Solo and Kuryakin.

Read through Bunn's Blood Feud. It was actually pretty decent. Small miniseries with a straightforward premise (vampires attack small town) but the characters and tone of the book was interesting.

I totally forgot this one came out. His Oni Press stuff has been typically pretty great, Sixth Gun was great and I like The Damned so far. Totally blanked on this though, and Helheim now I'm thinking about it. That one has Joelle Jones in art. Will have to track down.

Is Rob Williams taking over Trinity? He's writing both the annual and the August issue. Williams and Clay Mann would be a pretty great creative team.

TRINITY #12
Written by ROB WILLIAMS • Art and cover by CLAY MANN • Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
”DARK DESTINY" part one! Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman must turn to the mystic trinity of Dead Man, Zatanna and John Constantine when Red Hood, Artemis and Bizarro are sacrificed into the depths of the Pandora Pits by Circe and Ra's al Ghul.

Is Rob Williams taking over Trinity? He's writing both the annual and the August issue. Williams and Clay Mann would be a pretty creative team.

TRINITY #12
Written by ROB WILLIAMS • Art and cover by CLAY MANN • Variant cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ
“DARK DESTINY” part one! Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman must turn to the mystic trinity of Dead Man, Zatanna and John Constantine when Red Hood, Artemis and Bizarro are sacrificed into the depths of the Pandora Pits by Circe and Ra’s al Ghul.

Oh man, I hadn't read that solicit yet, sounds like a fun story.

Owzers

I just dropped $45 on a MONSTRESS amount of comics.

Get it? I used monstress because I bought some Monstress

I did get it. It was pretty good.

I kinda don't care about the rest of invincible, and I don't want to rebuy vol 1-4 of deadly class digitally despite wanting vol 5, yet I don't want to not have the full run. I need MU/cmxu services, I like reading digital buffets but not owning books.

Is the Valiant hate around here all in fun or does ComicGAF really dislike them?

I'd have made a joke, but others got it covered lol

It's not serious. A lot of people here read and enjoy Valiant. I made that thread for those that don't and for those that do that want to get into new series.

I'd have made a joke, but others got it covered lol

It's not serious. A lot of people here read and enjoy Valiant. I made that thread for those that don't and for those that do that want to get into new series.
I'm actually sort of surprised Williams or some other mod haven't given you a title like Valiant Lover with a link to your thread :p

I'm actually sort of surprised Williams or some other mod haven't given you a title like Valiant Lover with a link to your thread :p

It is against the TOS.

A. Language

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense. It is recommended that profanity be held to a minimum in order to keep the level of discourse high, and profanity should not be used when addressing others. Though NeoGAF is an international forum, discussion is to be held in English unless otherwise designated.

I read a Valiant comic once, it was ok

I know this is a half-joke, but.. It's funny, you're in this weird place where I know you've tried Rai and weren't too hot on it, but I haven't recommended anything else because even though we share a lot of interests in comics (Doom Patrol is one of my favorite comics too), I feel like you're the kind of person who explores new things on your own and don't really need someone telling you what to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom