• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

I forgot to buy up the rest of Invincible

Grave mistake.

I can't believe Invincible is almost over. I guess Kirkman needs to double-down on dat TWD merch.

I read a Valiant comic once, it was ok

Valiant puts out some legit good stuff. Try the War Mother one-shot that came out a while back. It was seriously good comics.

I just spent $70 on digital comics.

Why? They aren't even real...

Loot boxes aren't real either, yet you're always salivating over the next one.

I know this is a half-joke, but.. It's funny, you're in this weird place where I know you've tried Rai and weren't too hot on it, but I haven't recommended anything else because even though we share a lot of interests in comics (Doom Patrol is one of my favorite comics too), I feel like you're the kind of person who explores new things on your own and don't really need someone telling you what to read.

He'll read anything with anime girls in it, though.

Vic_Viper

Reading more of JLA by Morrison and Waid. Still great. One of the things I really like is how they rotate members of the team without waiting for a big relaunch or event like they do for everything now. One issue will have Pepsi Blue Superman, next has regular Superman and Hippolyta Wonder Woman. They keep the story going instead of stopping constantly. It's really fun.

Loved Morrison's JLA. I really wish DC would do an Omnibus for it, or atleast reprint the Deluxe Hardcovers. Like you said he does an amazing job working around events in the book and doesnt get distracted with all the changes that were happening, especially with Superman lol. Man I miss the 90s. Electice Blue Superman has to be my favorite Alt-Superman aside from maybe the Godfall Superman.

ac01.jpg

Versus
latest

The Morrison/Waid era of JLA has some of the best story lines ever done with the Justice League. But the random switching from writer to writer is a little jarring, but thats to be expected when you are working on the same book as Grant Morrison lol. Darkseid is in Rock of Ages, Waid's Tower of Babel, and the awesome Prometheus arc. We also got the amazing Earth 2 book and DC 1,000,000,000 which is technically part of All Star Superman. Morrison did some pretty awesome work without going too far off the rails like he is known to do lol.

Read through Priest's Deathstroke vol 1. I thought that was awesome, definitely one of the best Rebirth books I've read so far. Top three along with Wonder Woman and...something. Not sure what other book I'd give the nod right now but Deathstroke would be there. Just a really good character piece on Slade, and his relationship with the people closest to him. There's a lot of thought provoking stuff regarding how exactly Slade experiences and engages the world around him, and the people that world, and what kind of a person he is for that. There's a great plot, some great dialogue, and a storytelling style that expects you are engaged and paying attention. It doesn't like to spend time spelling out every little plot moment and is happy for you to fill the smaller blanks in lieu of keeping up the excitement and intrigue.

The issues set in Gotham show a lot of respect to Batman and Damien, even as guest stars, and make me want to see his take on Batman too.

Read Ellis' newsletter and it sounds like something is being announced on Wednesday on twitter. Guessing it's a Castlevania teaser or the second Wildstorm book.

So do we let him off with time-served? :3

He's suffered enough for three lifetimes. A good lawyer would get him financial compensation for future psychological trauma.

Read through Priest's Deathstroke vol 1. I thought that was awesome, definitely one of the best Rebirth books I've read so far. Top three along with Wonder Woman and...something. Not sure what other book I'd give the nod right now but Deathstroke would be there. Just a really good character piece on Slade, and his relationship with the people closest to him. There's a lot of thought provoking stuff regarding how exactly Slade experiences and engages the world around him, and the people that world, and what kind of a person he is for that. There's a great plot, some great dialogue, and a storytelling style that expects you are engaged and paying attention. It doesn't like to spend time spelling out every little plot moment and is happy for you to fill the smaller blanks in lieu of keeping up the excitement and intrigue.

It took me a few issues to fully appreciate the internal chronology of the story, but it's my favorite Rebirth book at the moment. Priest has Deathstroke walking a fine line between anti-hero and heartless serial killer, and just nails it. In the same issue I'll go from hating Slade for his actions to loving his results and foresight.

i dislike arbitrary code distribution, it's not fair. If it were a regional thing at least it would make sense.

I've spent a small fortune on Comixology over the years. I've been an Amazon Prime subscriber since 2007. Never once have I seen one of these damn coupons.

I'll keep banking up that karma.

It took me a few issues to fully appreciate the internal chronology of the story, but it's my favorite Rebirth book at the moment. Priest has Deathstroke walking a fine line between anti-hero and heartless serial killer, and just nails it. In the same issue I'll go from hating Slade for his actions to loving his results and foresight.

Totally. On the point about the shifting chronomogy; I'm not actually that familiar with Deathstroke and his history so grappling with the storytelling method and the fact I don't actually know what happened to his other kid etc was a bit of a trip initially but I felt it kind of forced me to stay keyed in to the book, you can't really read it on autopilot. I can see why some folks wouldn't be into that, especially since it isn't really being used in the expected sense, like to withhold a mystery but I do really dig the style Priest hits, alongside the mature tone.

The only thing that me go huh, which I meant to write about was...okay,how to put this lol. I had to double check Rose definitely was his daughter, and she was in fact 10 when they found her, because some of the language and behaviour threw me off. Wintergreen saying he had a crush on her since he met her, okay that's a friendly old dude and fine between two people with a very familiar family type relationship. It's not flirting but complimenting her in an innocent way. The scene with Slade buck naked in the hotel room when she comes out the shower. I don't know. I have no idea if Priest has kids or whatever, but that one struck me as weird, with no good explanation away. I get they are supposed to be distant to each other other and that Slade, for better or worse kind of treats her outwardly as anyone else ie. dispensable but it still just had an odd tone to it, and I wasn't sure what I was suppose to be reading I to it. Does it mean nothing and it's just a strange script moment. Is Priest exporing something with that moment and we're going somewhere here? I'm not sure. On a basic level, a father standing around naked in front of his late teen/young adult daughter is weird, but at the same time they don't have a basic relationship, and it doesn't necessarily have to have any insidious sexual connotations...I guess. Only odd bit.

Hilariously LTTP here, but just finished both volumes of Seven Soldiers.

Holy. Cow. That might be my favorite comic in a long, *long* time. I'd put it up there with Nextwave, Planetary, the best of them. Most of the art is amazing too (I'd forgotten how much I dug Frazier Irving's work and his stuff on Klarion is awesome, Simone Biachi's stuff on Shining Kinght is fantastic too. But mostly it's amazing how it's technically one big crossover event, but each book really does stand on it's own. They each add to the story, but they don't directly "cross over" per se.

Also, Irving's stuff on Klarion is now going to make me go back and read the Rossum/Irving Xombi 6-issue series for the 100th time.

Messi

Corporate mindset: We have him by the balls, why give him a discount?

Amazon: "The only problem with Messi is he's maybe too good of a customer."

Large amount of books in that were bought months ago. I am way behind on 90% of image. Will likely have to wait until the sale in July.

Messi

Hilariously LTTP here, but just finished both volumes of Seven Soldiers.

Holy. Cow. That might be my favorite comic in a long, *long* time. I'd put it up there with Nextwave, Planetary, the best of them. Most of the art is amazing too (I'd forgotten how much I dug Frazier Irving's work and his stuff on Klarion is awesome, Simone Biachi's stuff on Shining Kinght is fantastic too. But mostly it's amazing how it's technically one big crossover event, but each book really does stand on it's own. They each add to the story, but they don't directly "cross over" per se.

Also, Irving's stuff on Klarion is now going to make me go back and read the Rossum/Irving Xombi 6-issue series for the 100th time.

Certainly don't read Queen Anne Nocentis Klarion run.

The scene with Slade buck naked in the hotel room when she comes out the shower. I don't know. I have no idea if Priest has kids or whatever, but that one struck me as weird, with no good explanation away. I get they are supposed to be distant to each other other and that Slade, for better or worse kind of treats her outwardly as anyone else ie. dispensable but it still just had an odd tone to it, and I wasn't sure what I was suppose to be reading I to it. Does it mean nothing and it's just a strange script moment. Is Priest exporing something with that moment and we're going somewhere here? I'm not sure. On a basic level, a father standing around naked in front of his late teen/young adult daughter is weird, but at the same time they don't have a basic relationship, and it doesn't necessarily have to have any insidious sexual connotations...I guess. Only odd bit.
I thought that scene was pretty weird too. But remember when Slade told Rose he didn't give a crap about her potentially being a prostitute? Slade is just weird man, this is the guy who killed a girl's dog right in front of her because he cared about her too much.

I thought that scene was pretty weird too. But remember when Slade told Rose he didn't give a crap about her potentially being a prostitute? Slade is just weird man, this is the guy who killed a girl's dog right in front of her because he cared about her too much.

Haha right, yea, and again that's my lack of knowledge about the characters coming through, that maybe there's enough established here that it's not *that* weird, or at least it is, but it's representative of their broken relationship that this means nothing somehow and that Slade wouldn't think about it.

shingi70

Banned
Lion forge's Catalyst comics is the new milestone.

I'm utter disapointed that's there's no good Justice league book being published right now.

Valaint does marvels business model far better than them.

dh4niel

I'd have made a joke, but others got it covered lol

It's not serious. A lot of people here read and enjoy Valiant. I made that thread for those that don't and for those that do that want to get into new series.

Your thread thread definitely has me interested. I just have my hands full with Marvel stuff right now.

Sandfox

I checked out the first issue of Noble and I liked it. I'm in to check out the rest of the line since the concepts all seem interesting.

Read through vol 1 of All Star Batman. This was a comic book. On the upside, I like that it was a little sillier than Snyder's other bat stuff. A little bit goofier with the gadgets and situations mixed in with Snyder's usual approach, Batman dropping an f bomb every now and again, a fist bump here and there. So I appreciate it was a little different to Snyder's run with Capullo, although not even nearly the same kind of different King's Batman is. I did like the way Snyder interpretes Bruce and Harvey's relationship and what he puts forth about the nature of Batman, and Two Face, and the way it all comes together at the end. The final showdown is suitably tense with no easy out.

On the downside, I just didn't think it was as good as his other stuff on Batman. There's a good concept in there and some good catch 22 moments between Batman and Harvey as they attempt to impose their will over the other towards the resolution of the road trip, but I don't know if I like the goofier louder Batman alongside Snyder's thematically dark story, it's a bit of a clash. It's not that I couldn't see it work, it just doesn't here. Plus JRJR's art is just not for me so while he does have certain strengths, there's just this awkwardness I see permeate the whole book and I struggled to invest and believe what was on the page at times as a result.

Overall, I'd say it averages out as a good, but non essential book. There's some good stuff here, some rough stuff but I don't regret buying it or reading it. Oh, and the Duke backup felt super flimsy, the character just seems to be crawling along, despite Snyder's seeming commitment and importance he places with Duke throughout his work.

I know this is a half-joke, but.. It's funny, you're in this weird place where I know you've tried Rai and weren't too hot on it, but I haven't recommended anything else because even though we share a lot of interests in comics (Doom Patrol is one of my favorite comics too), I feel like you're the kind of person who explores new things on your own and don't really need someone telling you what to read.

At one point, I was actually very interested in Valiant lol. This was a long time ago though. I'd be willing to give them another shake eventually, I just can't say it's a priority at the moment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I don't think Snyder will ever do anything as good as Black Mirror, The Court of Owls, The City of Owls and Death in the Family. Everything else has either been just passable (Zero Year/End Game/All Star) or just downright bad.(Superheavy)

I'd say his best Batman work are what I'd say are must reads that can be recommended with the likes of The Dark Knight, Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, ect ect. He knows how to write a great dark Batman story but his more silly and light stuff just pales in comparison.

I don't think Snyder will ever do anything as good as Black Mirror, The Court of Owls, The City of Owls and Death in the Family. Everything else has either been just passable (Zero Year/End Game/All Star) or just downright bad.(Superheavy)

I'd say his best Batman work are what I'd say are must reads that can be recommended with the likes of The Dark Knight, Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, ect ect. He knows how to write a great dark Batman story but his more silly and light stuff just pales in comparison.

I definitely agree with you in sentiment, if not the exact details. I really enjoyed his bat stuff from The Black Mirror up through Death Of The Family, ans I really think all of those stories stand up well. I don't think I would say the rest are only passable though, I would rate them as pretty good, and I would put Superheavy above ASB, I don't think it's particularly any worse in quality than the previous volumes. I wish the concept had more time to be explored, and maybe at that point it would have been better as it's own book, but that's all opinion and matters of degrees.

I do think he kind of peaked and getting back to basics would be best but he's super a big star now I'm not sure that's on the cards. Everyone makes fun of him for opening every story with an anecdote lol but when he was telling those more personal stories that were a bit smaller in scope than recently and a bit more under the skin, he was on,if you like him at all that is. Hopeful for Metal though, I still think he's a pretty great writer, I just think he has a wheelhouse and he should lean back into it and just be what he is and take the good that comes with that. Starting with getting back on with AmVamp would be nice. During that peak creative period of Batman, putting out Swamp Thing AND those first vume of American Vampire. Good stuff.

EDIt: Also Seeley on Constantine, and there's gonna be a Suicide Squad Black? Lol, that's nearly as bad a name as Justice League Dark. I would try it though, I won't lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom