• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

So question for you guys, do you generally keep your monthly issues, or do you sell them off once the trades are released?

I've been keeping a lot of mine in short boxes, and even double dipped on the trades for the series that I really like. The way I see it, my singles are nice for collector purposes but the trades are perfect for when I want to re-read or show friends/family.

MK Spider-Man is a weird little story so far. Not fair to judge it in its current state. Art is triply.

EDIT - holy Moses. Batman/Superman was really cool. Booth on art was amazing. The story was pure fun. If you are skipping this arc because Lee is not on art, you are missing out.

Edit 2 - also read Snyder's Severed. It was a solid horror story. Had some good tension and great art. Not Snyder's best work but solid.

Messi

Another great East of West issue, I think the series is underrated, barely see any talk of it.

I read East of West but I have no idea what is going on. I had a handle on it for the last two issues of the first TP but the two since then, nada.

Did anyone pick up Alex + Ada?

It's... interesting and somewhat creepy. But I'm intrigued as to where the story can go. Basically, grandma buys this dude a robot girlfriend for his birthday. He just gets her at the end of the issue, so I can't judge the book for another issue or two. But it has potential.

So question for you guys, do you generally keep your monthly issues, or do you sell them off once the trades are released?

I've been keeping a lot of mine in short boxes, and even double dipped on the trades for the series that I really like. The way I see it, my singles are nice for collector purposes but the trades are perfect for when I want to re-read or show friends/family.

I only keep the more recent floppies until (if) I buy the trade. Old issues [unless it's a #1 or some other issue that may turn out to be valuable] go to the Salvation Army.

Honestly, I've just about given up buying trades of DC and Marvel books. I'll buy the Infinity hardcover because OMG-awesome, but mostly, the big two put out too many books. I stick mostly to Image books for trades. I buy the hardcovers for Invincible, Elephantmen, and The Walking Dead, and the tpb's for whatever series I particularly enjoy.

Acid08

Banned

Just keep the single issues in short boxes. I don't ever double dip for trades, I just buy trades of stuff I've missed out or waited on.

I'm a total nut for organization for my floppies are fucking FLAWLESSLY CATALOGED.

Vibranium

Banned

I trash them to hell, which is why I went digital. I'm very bad at organizing stuff haha.

I'm about to buy my 4th short box. At this rate I will be filling 5 short boxes a year. With my additions of 2 more Batman trades today, my collection is at 19 books and over 60 something floppies.

Aizo

Banned
Just keep the single issues in short boxes. I don't ever double dip for trades, I just buy trades of stuff I've missed out or waited on.

I'm a total nut for organization for my floppies are fucking FLAWLESSLY CATALOGED.

Do you all ever do collection photos? I'm sure some of you have mind blowing collections.

I gave up buying floppies because I strongly prefer trades and the time delay let's me sort out what I actually care about reading. Floppies are kind of fun but not worth the hassle to store or get rid of.

Vibranium

Banned
I forgot to say, Nic Klein was awesome again this week on Cap, it's kickass to see him drawing Winter Soldier again. I liked how the Captain tried to talk Nuke down first.

Also, having 60's Fury and Dugan appear was enough to wash out the crap that is Fury Jr. I'm still pissed about his shoehorning into an issue though.

I have two nearly full short boxes. I'm a little concerned by how quickly I'm filling them. I could probably let go of about half of it, but I can't imagine just giving them away after what I've invested.

It's tough 'cause I like trades, too. To read, have on my self, and loan out. But I can't let go of this thing about being current and reading what is freshly offered for the first time ever right exactly now in this moment today. And some of the indie-indie stuff I have, I'm glad I have in singles.

But I've been looking at my already taut pull list and I intend to make some cuts. If I don't usually feel like I absolutely cannot WAIT to read the next issue and see what happens in a book then I'm gonna drop it. Problem is that I try out a lot of new tiles so it's a never ending cycle. Of joy. A never ending cycle of joy and handwringing.

I have a near filled longbox, and random piles on the floor. I have a small room, I hate storing them. I might sell some singles, I don't wanna buy another box.

Amazing X-Men.

I bought it on a whim, and was really surprised by it. I think they chose an appropriate adjective for this X-men book. It felt like old-school Uncanny X-men, with moments pulled out of the early issues of Wolverine & The X-men. Great stuff. I hope Aaron keeps it up.

Vyer

Detective really hit the 'Gordon police story' target for me. Stood really well on its own with just the right nods to Bats. I tweeted how a story like this makes me long for an HBO Gotham PD series. Very enjoyable.
...HELP CAME.

AXM was very solid, and may mean I will have more than one X book on my list after all. Dat Aaron.

And Pak Action Comics.....yeah, I'm in.

EDIT: Shit, Superman/Batman was even better.

I'm sure some of the regulars have absurd amounts of comics.

I have 5 longboxs at home and 1 at college which I just filled. It's going to start becoming an issue soon and I need to think of how to get rid of a lot of them.

Nudull

Banned

I leave my monthlies in boxes while I keep my trades shelved. I've considered rotating out my past issues with trades, but I don't know too much about the value of my collection.

I actually put up some pictures yesterday of how I keep my floppies

Click

NONE. HAHA. ALL TRADES BITCHEEEES!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I picked up Amazing X-Men #1, I liked it. Haven't read any X-Men comics at all before Now! started, since then I've been reading All-New, Uncanny and now Regular Variety X-Men. I like the art, the little Bamfs are pretty cute especially. Not really sure who this title is supposed to cover past this initial arc but never mind, if Avengers can have 12 comics then why can't we add more X-Men ones?

So Comixology has a sale on these Batman volumes and since I'm pretty new to this stuff and since I heard the new 52 were a decent place to start, I was wondering which one you guys recommend.

I'm interested in the regular Batman series (love the art) but I'm open for other recommendations.

Snyder's Batman all day long. If your enthusiastic about the character/interested in his son, I think Batman and Robin vol.1 is a good book. The only other book I buy of those is Nightwing, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone right now unfortunately. Outside of this sale, I think Batwoman is a great book too. In the face of honesty, I probably would drop Batman and Robin though, if I didn't have other people in the house who were interested in it (as with Nightwing), despite it being a good book and me recommending it there. Only Batman and Batwoman feel super essential to me, and I tend to stick with what hits me as "omg must read I can't wait to open this".

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nothing like I expected after the first arc. In a good way.

That's promising, between the confusing art and the confusing story and those stupid bloody narration boxes I didn't really dig the first arc. The trouble with Jae Lee's art is that he has no sense of place or movement in it. It's just people floating in space a lot of the time, made it very hard to follow.

Forever Evil and Earth 2 are all I've read so far this week, but both were awesome. I know I've said it before but damn it I wish Forever Evil was on the same new chapter every week schedule Trinity War was on.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Snyder's Batman all day long. If your enthusiastic about the character/interested in his son, I think Batman and Robin vol.1 is a good book. The only other book I buy of those is Nightwing, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone right now unfortunately. Outside of this sale, I think Batwoman is a great book too. In the face of honesty, I probably would drop Batman and Robin though, if I didn't have other people in the house who were interested in it (as with Nightwing), despite it being a good book and me recommending it there. Only Batman and Batwoman feel super essential to me, and I tend to stick with what hits me as "omg must read I can't wait to open this".

This makes me sad because Batman and Robin is the book that elicits the most emotion of all the Batbooks and has been the heart and soul of the R.I.P/aftermath events. It take a little time to establish itself in the lower numbered issues but then Tomasi and Gleason find the perfect niche, and they haven't floundered since.

tim1138

Forever Evil and Earth 2 are all I've read so far this week, but both were awesome. I know I've said it before but damn it I wish Forever Evil was on the same new chapter every week schedule Trinity War was on.

I bought Earth 2 on a whim, and good lord was that book good and crazy. It got a reprieve from being dropped.

Has anyone here ordered from Graphitti Designs before? I ordered the SDCC Super Best Friends Forever figure set for my wife as a birthday gift and really hope they arrive in one piece.

This makes me sad because Batman and Robin is the book that elicits the most emotion of all the Batbooks and has been the heart and soul of the R.I.P/aftermath events. It take a little time to establish itself in the lower numbered issues but then Tomasi and Gleason find the perfect niche, and they haven't floundered since.

That's fair enough man, like I said, I do think it's a good batman book, and I'm glad you enjoy it that much. It definitely does not hit that level for me though. Scott Snyder, in my mind, goes toe to toe with any of my other favorite comic writers. Brubaker, Hill, Mignola, Lemire, I would absolutely have a hard time choosing between him and one of the others if I had to, because his writing quality is so high. I will even read characters I never had an intention of reading because I know his writing is great, like Superman. I have faith he will tell a good story because of his general level of quality, so it doesn't matter that I don't normally naturally gravitate to the idea of Superman. I love good, extremely well written stories, and Snyder writes em. I read so many comic books too that I kind of aspire to keep it that way for all my reads, or I would be spilling way over the 20-25 mark I'm at right now.

I pick up Batman & Robin though and I think "Hey, that was a pretty great Batman book" but the writing does not ascend past that to the point I'd run out and look for more by Tomasi, nor does it displace any of the other books I read to the point where I'd keep on with it if it was just for myself, instead of one of the others. Maybe in time, but not yet. It acts as a good way to read batman between the long...long...loooong waits for the main batman book trades but for me, that's kind of it. I do think it's the level of quality though that the rest of the line could aspire too though, there's a few bat books i wouldn't read for free haha.

I bought Earth 2 on a whim, and good lord was that book good and crazy. It got a reprieve from being dropped.

I know a lot of people were worried about it going to shit, and just becoming another batman book, but this issue was damn good. I'm excited to see where the hell this goes.

I just read Superman Unchained and ohhhh man am I enjoying that, another one I just can't wait to see what happens.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That's fair enough man, like I said, I do think it's a good batman book, and I'm glad you enjoy it that much. It definitely does not hit that level for me though. Scott Snyder, in my mind, goes toe to toe with any of my other favorite comic writers. Brubaker, Hill, Mignola, Lemire, I would absolutely have a hard time choosing between him and one of the others if I had to, because his writing quality is so high. I will even read characters I never had an intention of reading because I know his writing is great, like Superman. I have faith he will tell a good story because of his general level of quality, so it doesn't matter that I don't normally naturally gravitate to the idea of Superman. I love good, extremely well written stories, and Snyder writes em. I read so many comic books too that I kind of aspire to keep it that way for all my reads, or I would be spilling way over the 20-25 mark I'm at right now.

I pick up Batman & Robin though and I think "Hey, that was a pretty great Batman book" but the writing does not ascend past that to the point I'd run out and look for more by Tomasi, nor does it displace any of the other books I read to the point where I'd keep on with it if it was just for myself, instead of one of the others. Maybe in time, but not yet. It acts as a good way to read batman between the long...long...loooong waits for the main batman book trades but for me, that's kind of it. I do think it's the level of quality though that the rest of the line could aspire too though, there's a few bat books i wouldn't read for free haha.

I gotcha--I wasn't tryin' to shove it down anybody's throat, I just love the book and want to spread the love, like herpes.

I'm with ya on every point about excellent writing, as writing is the most important thing I look for in my comics, and yeah, Snyder is a solid writer and has a great grasp on wordflow and style.

His storytelling, however, often dissolves towards the end of the MASSIVE storylines he writes. Rotworld, Owls, Death of.., etc., were all major letdowns in their third acts. He hits some incredible highs, like the last issue of Batman, but I'm a bit more hesitant about picking up everything he does nowadays. For example, I'm ignoring The Wake because I don't care for horror comics and Severed was flat-out boring.

For Batman, I don't keep up with it based solely or even mostly on Snyder's often solid writing, but rather, for the first time in a while, because Capullo's art is just that damn good.

tim1138

I know a lot of people were worried about it going to shit, and just becoming another batman book, but this issue was damn good. I'm excited to see where the hell this goes.

I just read Superman Unchained and ohhhh man am I enjoying that, another one I just can't wait to see what happens.

I was definitely one of the people worried about E2, I thought Taylor's writing on that Injustice comic was laughably bad. But credit where credit is due, it was a good issue and I'm curious to see how it plays out. I just hope Hawkgirl returns soon

I managed to get away from work early enough yesterday to hit the shop before it closed. Pickups from this week and last:

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #1
Avengers #22
Captain America #13
Infinity #5
X-Men Battle of the Atom #2

Image Comics
Alex+Ada #1
Sex #8

Dark Horse
Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight #2
Itty Bitty Hellboy #3
King Conan: Hour of the Dragon #6

Other Publishers
Powerpuff Girls #2 (IDW)

'Cable & X-Force' and 'Uncanny X-Force' to end in 2014, merging into 'X-Force' by Spurrier/Kim

Oh, and joining the team will be MARROW.

newxforce7.jpg
XFORCE2014001COV_col_KIM.jpg

good god, those are some dire costumes. especially for psylocke who finally got her best costume ever.

i'm not at all interested in this shitshow. RIP uncanny x-force.

ReiGun

My biggest concern with Earth 2 is that with Batman and Superman coming back, the focus will be taken off of the wonders. This issue went a long way to alleviating those fears.

Amazing X-Men was pretty good. Though I think I'm getting tired of the Jean Grey School team.

Superman Unchained continues to be dope. Synder writes a great Lex Luthor. I guess we basically have confirmation
Wraith is some kind of Kryptonian.

Green Arrow continues to impress. Crazy to see elements from the show working their way in.

Still have things to read, but this has been a great week so far.

tim1138

I loved Marrow in MvsC 2 because she had a move where she yelled "bonerang" and I have the maturity of a 12 yr old.

marrow is ass. the best scene she was ever in was when storm ripped her heart out with her bare hands.

but i did love her in mvc2.

i wonder how she got her powers back?

I liked Earth 2, but I've always had a secret love for really, really fucked up situations so this is right up my alley; The revelation of who Red Tornado is, is kind of fun.
Lois' Deathclock starts now!
Really can't wait to see who is going to "be released" by Batman v2.0.

Thanks man, I got the first volume and found it so good that I bought Vol. 2 (not on sale ;_;) as well :lol I think I'll stick with Batman for the time being and look into Batwoman when the first volume is up for sale.

Deprive

Has anyone here ordered from Graphitti Designs before? I ordered the SDCC Super Best Friends Forever figure set for my wife as a birthday gift and really hope they arrive in one piece.

Ordered shirts from Graphitti Designs before. Never had any problems with them or how they shipped anything. So you should be good to go.

Earth 2 was decent. Hope the focus continues to be on the Wonders tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom