• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not some crackpot theory that iceman is gay. do you think it's a coincidence that his two longest relationships were with women who just happened to be able to turn into men?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Green Arrow is so freaking good you guys. SO GOOD.

Seriously. I'm fucking sitting at work impatiently waiting to get my hands on that Sorrentino art.

All you guys still buying Lemire's shitty Animal Man, I hope you're buying Sorrentino's fuck-awesome Green Arrow.

Owzers

Three issues into Mind the Gap and it does read the same as Morning Glories, more "mysteriously vague" than good. It even matches by having an "explanation" page at the end of the book on things that have taken place that the reader might have missed.

tim1138

I know the creative change happened around issue 17, if I were to start reading this book now would I be totally lost, or could I manage with reading a recap?

They intended last month's issue to be a jump on point (the first page was a recap), but I really recommend starting with 17.

For what it's worth it looks like the first GA trade for Lemire's run is due out mid March.

Three issues into Mind the Gap and it does read the same as Morning Glories, more "mysteriously vague" than good. It even matches by having an "explanation" page at the end of the book on things that have taken place that the reader might have missed.

See, on one level, I reaaally like these books. When I'm actively sitting reading them I think "gosh, these are some of the best comics I read!" but when I'm not reading them, I start to think things like "I actually don't remember even one character's name" or "what even is the story in this book, actually". When I think about it, I don't really think that whole lost style of story telling works with the pacing of comic books. How often they come out a year, the gap between them. The whole super vague mystery is any of this even real genre doesn't quite work. When I sit down and re-read them all though, I think "oh wow" again.

In a way, these would be the perfect books to mimic tv style seasons. Writer and artist write and draw for 9 months. Then Image puts the comics out on a weekly schedule for 12 weeks with lots of concentrated advertising. Then we get the *boxset*/trade before the new *season* drops. That, change how the stories are being told orrrr wait til the entire series is done and buy the trades. I do REALLY like them though. Sometimes.

They intended last month's issue to be a jump on point (the first page was a recap), but I really recommend starting with 17.

For what it's worth it looks like the first GA trade for Lemire's run is due out mid March.

How much of a *reboot* is #17 btw? I'll not only be coming onto the series having never read a new 52 arrow book, I'll be coming on never having read a green arrow book. Is it all good that way? Lemire's take looks so different to the previous 16 issues, I wasn't sure if he straight up just acted like it was the start for green arrow in the new 52, or if he does keep on plot threads from the previous issues.

Kinyou

Yeah, stopped reading morning glories because I had the feeling that the author doesn't really know either what's going on. Also, it should at least occasionally answer some questions, not constantly ask two new ones.

tim1138

How much of a *reboot* is #17 btw? I'll not only be coming onto the series having never read a new 52 arrow book, I'll be coming on never having read a green arrow book. Is it all good that way? Lemire's take looks so different to the previous 16 issues, I wasn't sure if he straight up just acted like it was the start for green arrow in the new 52, or if he does keep on plot threads from the previous issues.

You can jump right in at 17 and be fine. If you want more on the character avoid the previous N52 books like the plague, but you can't go wrong with Year One (Andy Diggle and Jock) or anything Mike Grell did.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Amazing X-Men washed all that event shit out of my mouth with cool, refreshing, X-book enjoyment.

Kind of makes me wonder what theyre going to be doing in WatXM now though? Also seems absurd Aaron needed to get a whole other title to tell a tale he'd been building up to since the beginning for fear of being event'd and dragged off track again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Amazing X-Men washed all that event shit out of my mouth with cool, refreshing, X-book enjoyment.

Kind of makes me wonder what theyre going to be doing in WatXM now though? Also seems absurd Aaron needed to get a whole other title to tell a tale he'd been building up to since the beginning for fear of being event'd and dragged off track again.

omg dude, quit it with this thing you've got about WatXM being derailed by events, it's such a one-note (and wrong) point. How many events did WatXM get dragged into again? One or two? IMO the missteps on the title were Aaron's own (I give you the clown arc for example, or even the Dog arc). And the book itself is the result of an event. Aaron's parts in BotA were some of the best bits and were relevant to the book.

You can jump right in at 17 and be fine. If you want more on the character avoid the previous N52 books like the plague, but you can't go wrong with Year One (Andy Diggle and Jock) or anything Mike Grell did.

Oh wow, this year one book, I've never heard of until you just mentioned it. Diggle and Jock is a pretty great team. Cheers man, I'm going to look into it (although, I likely won't be able to buy it until after christmas). Has the new 52 wiped that stuff from the board, or does it still stand?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
it's not some crackpot theory that iceman is gay. do you think it's a coincidence that his two longest relationships were with women who just happened to be able to turn into men?

Thats exactly what it is. A crackpot theory. Especially if you see mystique and go, he must be gay since she can turn into men. Sabretooth is gay as well I assume? He had her, and also has a constant urge to stab a small hairy man to death

Lombaszko

Cool, thanks for the info!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
omg dude, quit it with this thing you've got about WatXM being derailed by events, it's such a one-note (and wrong) point. How many events did WatXM get dragged into again? One or two? IMO the missteps on the title were Aaron's own (I give you the clown arc for example, or even the Dog arc). And the book itself is the result of an event. Aaron's parts in BotA were some of the best bits and were relevant to the book.

Phoenix AvX guff knocked the book out of its groove for 9-10 issues after having only 8 issues to breathe before it. It was a crushing counterweight that took a lot of time to move past.

I agree the Clown arc was a low-point, but then that would have been a 3 issue blip. I quite enjoyed the Dog stuff, and more building of the classmates. BotA just gave me PTSD from the last time the book was event'd, even though this time it was just 2 issues. My problem is, we all know another shoe is going to drop, and that seems almost entirely why Amazing was created as an immune self contained. Or I hope so.

Next two issues of WatXM are BOTA fallout too :/

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh wow, this year one book, I've never heard of until you just mentioned it. Diggle and Jock is a pretty great team. Cheers man, I'm going to look into it (although, I likely won't be able to buy it until after christmas). Has the new 52 wiped that stuff from the board, or does it still stand?

I think it wiped it tbh, although it's probably pretty similar. In GAYO (lol that's an unfortunate acronym) young ollie becomes GA. So I guess it's not too much of a stretch to imagine in the current continuity that was only a little while ago.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Phoenix AvX guff knocked the book out of its groove for 9-10 issues after having only 8 issues to breathe before it. It was a crushing counterweight that took a lot of time to move past.

I agree the Clown arc was a low-point, but then that would have been a 3 issue blip. I quite enjoyed the Dog stuff, and more building of the classmates. BotA just gave me PTSD from the last time the book was event'd, even though this time it was just 2 issues. My problem is, we all know another shoe is going to drop, and that seems almost entirely why Amazing was created as an immune self contained. Or I hope so.

IIRC the Phoenix arc was pretty good though wasn't it? With Warbird and kid Gladiator and all that, was that the one? I enjoyed it at least.

IMO, WatXM should get drawn into events, that way it can spread its fun to other books like a cool virus.

tim1138

We actually won't begin to find out what happened to N52 Ollie on the island until next month, but its likely it will be changed from the Year One book. But don't skip on Year One because it doesn't tie into the N52, it's still a great story.

Pie and Beans

IIRC the Phoenix arc was pretty good though wasn't it? With Warbird and kid Gladiator and all that, was that the one? I enjoyed it at least.

IMO, WatXM should get drawn into events, that way it can spread its fun to other books like a cool virus.

Those were the two good issues from it where Aaron got to be a little artsy, the rest was the usual stupid misunderstanding crap. But you're bang on about the virus effect, the problem is its the actually the inverse happening. Bendis side with Cyclops is the one calling all the world changing shots, WatXM just reacts to them and they feel like theyre in the way.

Probably why I found Amazing so refreshing really.

Owzers

even though i didn't drop WATXM and am picking up Amazing, having dropped Bendis-stuff, i don't like knowing that Bendis runs the show and at any time Aaron will be presented a hoop to jump through.

I think it wiped it tbh, although it's probably pretty similar. In GAYO (lol that's an unfortunate acronym) young ollie becomes GA. So I guess it's not too much of a stretch to imagine in the current continuity that was only a little while ago.

We actually won't begin to find out what happened to N52 Ollie on the island until next month, but its likely it will be changed from the Year One book. But don't skip on Year One because it doesn't tie into the N52, it's still a great story.

Cheers guys! Nah, I'd never ignore a book because the new 52 doesn't jive with it. Just that creative team makes it exciting enough, and given I'm going to jump on the new 52 book, it'll be cool to read something Green Arrow right now to hold me over. I actually just impulse bought it right now it haha, oh well. Can't wait to see dat jock art.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

He should also check out some other Pre52 Ollie stories so he can get angry about the loss of one of DC's best characters :(

Amazing X-Men managed to capture that original Jean Grey School feel of wild danger room shit, lively teacher personalities, freak students and bamfs running around doing crazy shit. This is how the early W&TXM issues felt before it got bogged down with events. I love Amazing X-Men.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He should also check out some other Pre52 Ollie stories so he can get angry about the loss of one of DC's best characters :(

Quiver! Such a great story about Ollie coming back from the dead. Also, it's got a Sandman tie-in, which is rad as hell.

To be fair, this Sorrentino/Lemire Green Arrow is the most excited I've ever been about Ollie, despite the lack of awesome facial hair.

Lemire is knocking out of the park on the book sucks most people won't be able to enjoy it until 2018 when DC finally decides to release the trade.

By that time Lemire will be off the book and I will have forgotten about it. DC, why you so bad at trades.

Cheska

By that time Lemire will be off the book and I will have forgotten about it. DC, why you so bad at trades.

I wonder this too. While do they have such a ridiculous wait time in between trades? I understand they want to push monthly issues but there has to be a better time frame for this stuff.

tim1138

Quiver! Such a great story about Ollie coming back from the dead. Also, it's got a Sandman tie-in, which is rad as hell.

To be fair, this Sorrentino/Lemire Green Arrow is the most excited I've ever been about Ollie, despite the lack of awesome facial hair.

This. As much as I love pre N52 Ollie, Lemire and Sorrentino have completely rejuvenated the character. It's really a shame they haven't been on the book since the advent of the N52 and DC wasted all that time with Nocenti. Thank goodness for the Arrow TV show and DC wanting to capitalize on its popularity and success.

At least when the first Lemire penned trade comes out in March, it will be pretty meaty. Amazon lists it as 192 pages, so I'm guessing it's going to be issues 17-24 and the Count Vertigo villains issue.

Got my pull at the LCS. Wife wanted the next Fables vol and they didn't have it so we went to another LCS. They have these cards for every $300 dollars you spend you get $50 store credit. We needed $40 to get the 50 so she got the next 2 Fables vols, some other book and I got first 2 trades of Morrisons run on Batman and Action Comics zero year tie in and Marval Knights Spider-Man.

@Timm:

wOPlSgD.jpg

Great Darkness Saga Darkseid from the Legion of Super Heroes Heroclix set

Dude is a boss.

Wow, Green Arrow was so good. Who the hell would have thought the Zero Year Tie-in would further advance the story in GA so well. It was perfectly executed. Any speculation of who was with Ollie in that last main story panel?
Slade?

One thing I was wondering about Green Arrow guys. So I've been watching the show, probably 7-8 eps in now and I was wondering about
Deathstroke
. That's obviously a character quite integral to his origin in the show. Is that someone that I can expect to show up in his book or is that more of a repurposing of the character for the show.
Deadshot
showing up as well. Are we just being treated to DC character cameos or are these people who normally show up in his comic?

AFAIK they're just repurposing them, they're not normally GA villains. GA generally has a pretty weak rogues gallery, so they're drawing from other areas.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I didn't like in Amazing X-Men was the pseudo-German. Either go all the way and spell the words you're inserting correctly instead of phonetic approximations or don't bother.

Eldren

All this talk of Green Arrow has convinced me that when my pre-ordered copy of the first Lemire/Sorrentino trade arrives, I'll be re-reading Year One first as a refresher. Man I love that book. Jock's art is just something else.

Sort of, but kind of beats you over the head with the ethnicity in the process. Having the middle eastern superhero turn into desert sand as a power is about as subtle as a black hero who turns into any kind of malt liquor he can think of.

Oh, somehow I hadn't even thought of it like that... I mean, I like Sandman as well, but I guess he doesn't carry the same unfortunate connotations. Bummer.

I remember Dust from whatever issues were reprinted within the Essential X-Men comics I collected ages ago, and I think it's great that both strands of Islam can be represented in Marvel comics.

Apart from what Manmademan mentioned, however, I think the only issue with that character's representation was when she was drawn like this, going entirely against her character. I don't actually remember how common that issue was, although I guess that's the problem with asking men who by default draw big-breasted women to handle a sensitive character.

Yeah it's a damn shame how she was drawn sometimes. I saw one panel where she's in sand form and her clothes have been stripped away and she's basically naked. It's like, did you not understand the character at all? Diversity and representation is a good thing, but it needs to be handled respectfully.

MartyStu

Speaking of which, when can we expect this back? Like Aquaman, he just is not quite the same without it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom