• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been thinking about whether I want to pick up Pretty Deadly #2, and I read the preview for the second issue to help me decide. And.. I think I want it? I feel like the first issue offered a few puzzle pieces. I don't know what the puzzle will turn out to be or whether I'll even like it but I want to take a look at a few more pieces. I wouldn't even say I'm interested or intrigued so much as I'm curious.

How 'bout you guys? I know a lot of you read the first issue. Who is staying on board and who is jumping off?

So I've been thinking about whether I want to pick up Pretty Deadly #2, and I read the preview for the second issue to help me decide. And.. I think I want it? I feel like the first issue offered a few puzzle pieces. I don't know what the puzzle will turn out to be or whether I'll even like it but I want to take a look at a few more pieces. I wouldn't even say I'm interested or intrigued so much as I'm curious.

How 'bout you guys? I know a lot of you read the first issue. Who is staying on board and who is jumping off?

TGC-Thumbs-down.jpg

tim1138

I'm done with it for now, but if it sounds like it gets better I'll grab the first trade.

Just read the new Action Comics and I didn't think it was anything special. I guess I'll wait for the next release to decide if I'll continue it.

As for MK Spider-Man, I was impressed with it. Every other page being a two page spread wasn't too intrusive, it flowed naturally and was a quick read. Marco Rudy is an artist to look out for in the future.

I saw the preview for MK X-Men and I'm thinking about picking it up as well.

I decided to start reading some Carl Barks Donald Duck comics since his paintings are so gorgeous and they apparently were the source of the boulder scene in Indiana Jones--

--and I was shocked at how fucking racist they are. I mean sweet St. Peter, WHY. I had to read the phrase "Them blacks" from the mouth of Donald fucking Duck.

:(

I plan to stick with it, but it's release was overshadowed that week by Velvet. I thought Deconnick might have held back too much for a first issue. I read the preview and look forward to
the main character making her appearence.

I plan to stick with it, but it's release was overshadowed that week by Velvet. I thought Deconnick might have held back too much for a first issue. I read the preview and look forward to
the main character making her appearence.

Yeah, I think what you put in spoiler tags is what sold me in the second issue.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just read the new Action Comics and I didn't think it was anything special. I guess I'll wait for the next release to decide if I'll continue it.

As for MK Spider-Man, I was impressed with it. Every other page being a two page spread wasn't too intrusive, it flowed naturally and was a quick read. Marco Rudy is an artist to look out for in the future.

I saw the preview for MK X-Men and I'm thinking about picking it up as well.

Yay, more MK Spidey readers. Where's Rafa to declare Matt Kindt an on-the-verge superstar?

Also, that X-Men preview reminds me strongly of that scene in Morrison's New X-men where Beak is being chased down.

Kwixotik

So I read Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween over the past couple days. Year One was pretty good, but I just finished The Long Halloween and I don't know how I feel about it. I agree with this guy in a lot of ways:

Chad Nevett, writing for Comic Book Resources, reviewed the book, saying "If this is considered one of the better Batman stories available, then it confirms what I’ve long thought: the major superhero icons may have stuck around for decades, but they have few truly great stories told about them. The Long Halloween is, I’ll grant you, entertaining — in that mindless way where a mediocre mystery is drawn out over 13 issues, filled with smaller stories that mostly go nowhere."[8] He goes on to criticize the story's reliance on red herrings and lack of consistent narrative voice.

Long Halloween(and Dark Victory and Hush) are those Batman stories everyone recommends, then I pull them aside and say, "Don't read them, they're shitty mysteries cribbing from better source material that get by on Tim Sale/Jim Lee's artwork, read Batman: Mad Love instead"

So guys, I remember someone's post here on GAF saying something like there are two guys in comics that you don't want to actually piss off: Ghost Rider and Spiderman.

What have they done at their worst? Now that I think of it, what's the worst thing you've seen your favorite comic heroes do, whether justified or unjustified?

Kwixotik

Long Halloween(and Dark Victory and Hush) are those Batman stories everyone recommends, then I pull them aside and say, "Don't read them, they're shitty mysteries cribbing from better source material that get by on Tim Sale/Jim Lee's artwork, read Batman: Mad Love instead"

What stories would you recommend instead? I think I'm going to revisit both of the Arkham Asylum series, which I read in middle school but have mostly forgotten about and The Dark Knight Returns. I've been recommended Grant Morrison's run. Besides that, I don't really know.

edit: I like the character study aspect of Batman mostly

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So guys, I remember someone's post here on GAF saying something like there are two guys in comics that you don't want to actually piss off: Ghost Rider and Spiderman.

What have they done at their worst? Now that I think of it, what's the worst thing you've seen your favorite comic heroes do, whether justified or unjustified?

ghost rider has the penance stare, which makes you feel the pain of everyone youve doled pain out to. so someone like castle would probably just die. but being a damn psycho, probably not,

peter subconsciously listens to nwa, ice cube, and the wu, and all that pent up rage comes up full force when he gets pissed. like breaking into prison to fuck with wilson fisk pissed. breaking you down to your basic parts until youre a blubbering mess pissed.

Those stories are for new comic readers, exciting art and mashing out multiple villains in a single storyline is attractive for beginners. The last thing I would ever recommend to someone just getting into comics is Morrison's Batman. Loeb's Batman stories are for the casual reader.

zeeaykay

Well, I read Spider-Man: Blue in one sitting, and really liked it. Probably my favorite Spider-Man story I've read so far.

I was thinking that it was going to focus more on Peter's relationship with Gwen, but it really is mostly a story about Peter before they were even dating. I kind of felt like this was the first half of a two part story. I would have liked more of an examination of their actual relationship and not just a lead up to the first kiss. Most of the emotional pull of the story was based on implications instead of being shown on the page, but it was written well enough that I felt it.

Any more Spidey arcs that are like this one? I love relationship stuff when done well. I've been thinking of checking out the JMS stuff if it gets the characters right. I can handle a wacky plot if the dialogue and character beats are on point.

Any more Spidey arcs that are like this one? I love relationship stuff when done well. I've been thinking of checking out the JMS stuff if it gets the characters right. I can handle a wacky plot if the dialogue and character beats are on point.

You should be good to go then. JMS' plots are a bit different the the usual Spidey fare, and they don't always have satisfying conclusion(including the end of his run...but I digress), but he nails the character stuff. I think he wrote the best MJ and Aunt May I've ever read, and his Peter Parker is great. Intelligent, caring, flawed, selfless, funny, the kind of guy you can root for.

Also? This is my favorite John Romita Jr work, inked by Scott Hanna. Just fantastic work throughout; the fight between Spidey and Morlun in the first story arc "Coming Home" is just really great stuff.

Give the first volume a try, I think you'll enjoy it. I don't think MJ comes back into the scene until vol.2, but vol.1 should give you a good idea if you're a fan or not.

Because they didn't have anything or because it wasn't live at that store?
No, they were having the sale; I just couldn't find much of anything I wanted to part with money over that badly. Lots of "modern classics" -- in other words, stories from the last couple of years -- and very few time-tested, noteworthy stories I don't already have on my shelves. Plus, every time I look at books at a store it's in the back of my head that I could probably find them online at lower prices, and ridiculously lower prices if I shop for gently used copies.

If "modern classics" tickle your fancy, though, great selection.

zeeaykay

You should be good to go then. JMS' plots are a bit different the the usual Spidey fare, and they don't always have satisfying conclusion(including the end of his run...but I digress), but he nails the character stuff. I think he wrote the best MJ and Aunt May I've ever read, and his Peter Parker is great. Intelligent, caring, flawed, selfless, funny, the kind of guy you can root for.

Also? This is my favorite John Romita Jr work, inked by Scott Hanna. Just fantastic work throughout; the fight between Spidey and Morlun in the first story arc "Coming Home" is just really great stuff.

Give the first volume a try, I think you'll enjoy it. I don't think MJ comes back into the scene until vol.2, but vol.1 should give you a good idea if you're a fan or not.

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out for sure. There's something about a well written spider-man that really just does it for me. I can't wait for Slott to finish his run, I'm really disappointed with how elementary his dialogue is...

Then again, maybe it's just the way he writes Superior? His Big Time arc got rave reviews on Amazon. Viewtiful, what are your thoughts on that run?

Well, I read Spider-Man: Blue in one sitting, and really liked it. Probably my favorite Spider-Man story I've read so far.

I was thinking that it was going to focus more on Peter's relationship with Gwen, but it really is mostly a story about Peter before they were even dating. I kind of felt like this was the first half of a two part story. I would have liked more of an examination of their actual relationship and not just a lead up to the first kiss. Most of the emotional pull of the story was based on implications instead of being shown on the page, but it was written well enough that I felt it.

Something you might be interested in is Spider-Man: Parallel Lives by Gerry Conway, and Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1 by Matt Fraction. These two stories kind of stood out dealing with Peter and MJ's relationship.

Sblargh

Banned

Man, I love this story. It is one of my favorites.

JMS era, before the sins of the past stuff, is really one of the best eras regarding Peter Parker: Married Man. I still think that those stories should be the basis of contemporary status quo, but Marvel obviously disagree with me.
(on the other hand, how would Superior work if Spidey was married?

Vibranium

Banned

After reading them 3 times each when I first started comics, I came to this conclusion. Funnily enough, Loeb even admits in the introduction to Batman Hush that Sale makes his work better than it actually is.

Jeph being honest, who would have thought of that (Still salty about his claims that there was a higher Marvel animation budget and Assemble was a direct sequel to EMH).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love this story. It is one of my favorites.

JMS era, before the sins of the past stuff, is really one of the best eras regarding Peter Parker: Married Man. I still think that those stories should be the basis of contemporary status quo, but Marvel obviously disagree with me.
(on the other hand, how would Superior work if Spidey was married?

Lots of "Silence wench!"

Kwixotik

Those stories are for new comic readers, exciting art and mashing out multiple villains in a single storyline is attractive for beginners. The last thing I would ever recommend to someone just getting into comics is Morrison's Batman. Loeb's Batman stories are for the casual reader.

Yeah, but I'm not really just getting into comics. I read all of Sandman and Preacher. I prefer deeper, somewhat dark stuff to pulpy shit.

Spidey holds back consciously and then he has that inferior complex going on.

SO when he gets pissed, he becomes someone different. AKA his true abilities shine.

Why an angry/emotional Spidey is so badass.

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out for sure. There's something about a well written spider-man that really just does it for me. I can't wait for Slott to finish his run, I'm really disappointed with how elementary his dialogue is...

Then again, maybe it's just the way he writes Superior? His Big Time arc got rave reviews on Amazon. Viewtiful, what are your thoughts on that run?

I run hot and cold with Dan Slott. Its clear he has a lot of love for the character, and he's done some great stories. Spider-Man/Human Torch is possibly my favorite Spider-man story ever, where his style of writing was at its most natural in a throwback style book. Over his ASM book, he's done some very good stories; Paperdoll, Last Legs, Mysteriso, Revenge of the Spider-Slayer, No One Dies, Spider-Island, there was a very good Vulture two-parter, a great Lizard story last year, the entire Anti-Venom thing is the best thing to happen to Eddie Brock in many a year, etc. He writes very compressed stories, doesn't wage a page, respected the 20-page limit and tries to give you your money's worth. In a world of decompressed comic book storytelling for $3.99 a pop, I appreciate that. His first solo year on ASM comes very highly recommended by me, although I'm no big fan of the first story arc, funny enough.

He's got plenty of stinkers, and just a lot of throwaway comics. He has a lot of tics and patterns you start to notice that your mileage may vary. His Peter Parker tends to be written as an occasionally smart teenager instead of an intelligent adult(I do vastly prefer JMS' characterization here), he LOVES red herrings and trying to pull one over on the fans, his dialog has improved but its never been great and sometimes its just really on-the-nose and phony, his compression means everyone's always going-going-going so he sometimes plays fast and loose with conversations or inventing sci-fi gadgets on the fly for just such an occasion, his love of the Marvel Universe sometimes overwhelms Spidey as he just loved putting guest stars like the Avengers and the Fantastic Four or whoever.

I dropped Superior. It was a fun change for awhile and Stegman's artwork is amazing, but his Spidey-Ock is very grating and one dimensional 1950s silver age bad guy talk, and these sub-plots with the Goblin and Carlie are taking forever to go anywhere.

He's written some damn good stories, though. I really can't recommend Spider-Man and Human Torch enough.

tim1138

Is Slott's Silver Surfer gonna suck? I love the character and the cover/promo Allred art I saw was so Kirby-esque, it was awesome. I want to buy it and love it, but man I really don't like Slott's writing.

Depends. Have you read Slott's Sensational She Hulk? If so did you hate that?

But honestly, Slott is at his best writing Silver age style stories.

Sblargh

Banned
Is Slott's Silver Surfer gonna suck? I love the character and the cover/promo Allred art I saw was so Kirby-esque, it was awesome. I want to buy it and love it, but man I really don't like Slott's writing.

It is his not-so-subtle attempt to write Doctor Who comics and since Silver Surfer is no Doctor Who, then all the wit and cute will fall into whoever his companion is. So here is my prophecy:

They'll go into space, weird stuff will happen, Silver Surfer will brood and whoever-companion-is will do all the other emotions, from jokes to panic to fear to love, and on.

His ASM was good, his SSM is alright(edgey chars aren't his thing), his MA and Sensationa She Hulk were godlike.

Read his SSH. Then use that to gauge whether to buy SS.

Reason: book had a bunch of silver age wackiness, so yeah.

Sblargh

Banned
I think his Superior actually suffers from Superior Spider-Man being meh written everywhere else. I think he actually does a good job out of the arrogat super villain trying to be a hero, but in all other comics where Superior appears, he is just mean, when not abusive.

He's not so one-sided on his own book, but since he is so one-sided everywhere else, it's understandable to be burned out of his attitude by now.

I feel SSM is much more focused but has been drawn out.

That just makes the flaws in the premise more present.

Also Ewing wrote a hell of Spock in his MA.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It is his not-so-subtle attempt to write Doctor Who comics and since Silver Surfer is no Doctor Who, then all the wit and cute will fall into whoever his companion is. So here is my prophecy:

They'll go into space, weird stuff will happen, Silver Surfer will brood and whoever-companion-is will do all the other emotions, from jokes to panic to fear to love, and on.

They gave Surfer his emotions back in his last mini, but I'm sure that'll just be glossed over.

Acid08

Banned
I feel SSM is much more focused but has been drawn out.

That just makes the flaws in the premise more present.

Also Ewing wrote a hell of Spock in his MA.
Eh, I don't know if it has been drawn out too much. All of the arcs have ended by moving the story forward in an important way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, I don't know if it has been drawn out too much. All of the arcs have ended by moving the story forward in an important way.

I tend to agree with this. In addition each arc has dealt with Ock trying to live his life as Peter and dealing with the different relationships and responsibilities he has inherited. It's a lot more focused than his Amazing run, which had some great arcs and some boring ones. Having said that, Superior would have worked better as a mini-series. It's the kind of thing that needs a clear ending in sight and while we know one is coming, not having one will turn some people off.

I think he'll do great on his new Surfer book with Mike Allred though. The description of the book they've given us sounds like it's right up Slott's alley, writing wise. It's basically Dr Who starring the Silver Surfer, I don't know how we can't be hyped for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom