• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

Guess one thing that I'm confused about and maybe I'll find out in the next book is after the "The Clown at Midnight", the story jumps to Damian battered and Talia having him and ordering his organs to be removed and replaced. Did I miss something or is this supposed to be a mystery to me?

The issue before the The Clown at Midnight - the last story of the original Batman and Son arc iirc - has Damian injured in the confrontation between Batman and Talia.

About to dive in.

BYuygL-CYAAj40P.jpg

I can already tell that this is the Grant Morrison I've been looking for. I don't like his Superman, I didn't like Arkham Asylum but just about to wrap up Batman and Son in one sitting, I can tell I'm reading something special.
My favorite run of all time. Love it so much that I own 5 different original pages from across it (well, one is from Final Crisis, but it features Batman). I envy you getting to read it for the first time!

i find those costumes just so distractingly messy. like each one is so similar yet slightly different and full of unique patterns that it's going to be a damn mess for any artist to keep up the differences other than the colours. i wish they were more immediately unique and fashionable. god forbid they show some skin.

MartyStu

Looking at all the variants, I finally know why people collect comic books.

Also, the All-New X-Men preview made me want to hurl. Kitty...what have they done to you :(

Jeff Stokely and Si Spurrier Blog about the End of Six Gun Gorilla

Snippits:

Spurrier said, "...this is probably the proudest I’ve ever been of anything I’ve worked on. It all ends this month. I have the happysads. And a very undignified case of “I Wish More People Knew This Existed”, which isn’t something I’m supposed to admit."

And Stokely, "So anyway, to break off of my weird reblog tangent ramblings, THANK YOU if you bought the book. Thank you for sharing it and for enjoying it, hopefully as much as I have."

Reading the post you get a sense of how much this series has meant to these guys. And it's not a big hit and it's not likely to be revisited. It's just something special that people slept on that they have big feelings about. I truly believe that it will have a long life in trade. That people next year will be excitedly discovering it and singing it's praises. And I would be damn surprised if it wasn't acknowledged when people who judge such things are talking about the best minis of 2013.

Acid08

Banned
So happy I jumped on Six Gun and I'm super happy to hear how much they loved working on the project. It really comes through on each and every page.

The praise the book gets in here alone sold me on the trade

I wish it was more than me and Maquinon singing its praises. Y'all fucked up :(

pa22word

Anyone here have a copy of Superior Spiderman #17 they'd be willing to part with? Once Vol. 3 comes out I'll have the entire run up to this point save that issue. Rather go through gaf than deal with ebay if I can, lol.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This looks like a pretty big week for me, list-wise:

Books of the week (SSM Triple Threat?)
Avengers Arena #17
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #5
Superior Spider-Man #21
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #6

Looking forward to:
All-New X-Men #18
Astro City #6
Saga #16
Deadpool #19
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #28
Indestructible Hulk #15
Rocket Girl #2
Cataclysm Ultimate Spider-Man #1
FBP #5
The Manhattan Projects #16

Probably dropping:
Savage Wolverine #11
Sex Criminals #3
Wolverine #11

Messi

List:

Batgirl #25
Batman #25
Batman li'l Gotham #8
Suicide Squad #25
Superman/wonder woman #2
Cataclysm ultimate spider man #1
Deadpool #19
Thor God of Thunder #15

Pretty good list all things considered

Speaking of X-Men, been re-reading Whedon's Astonishing run. So good... seeing Colossus and Kitty no longer together makes me sad.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guess one thing that I'm confused about and maybe I'll find out in the next book is after the "The Clown at Midnight", the story jumps to Damian battered and Talia having him and ordering his organs to be removed and replaced. Did I miss something or is this supposed to be a mystery to me?

Damo got blowed up at the end of & Son, so when you see him next Talia has him at the organ farm. Basically a quick way to say "He's ok folks!" He pops up next in RIP.#

It's fucking CRIMINAL how Tony Daniel has a cover credit on the Black Glove trade when the real star of that is JH Williams, pissing all over Daniel from a great height.

arkon

So happy I jumped on Six Gun and I'm super happy to hear how much they loved working on the project. It really comes through on each and every page.

I wish it was more than me and Maquinon singing its praises. Y'all fucked up :(

I've been reading it since the start, bro. There's just not much for me to say that you guys don't already cover.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Read Thanos Rising last night. Really didn't like it. :(

Half way+ through Batman: Black Mirror, awesome so far.

I really like Francesco Francavilla's art alot, different from alot of art out there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Where do I start with Sandman? I read some Sandman Mystery Theater or something about Bast and enjoyed it, but I figure that's not really what the series is, so I'm looking to dive in. Read the whole normal series? Read any collections in particular?

bro1

Banned
What's the deal with MU pulling comics from their library? When I can get the damn app to work on my iPad, I find out that many of the newest X-men books that I had in my library are gone.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Where do I start with Sandman? I read some Sandman Mystery Theater or something about Bast and enjoyed it, but I figure that's not really what the series is, so I'm looking to dive in. Read the whole normal series? Read any collections in particular?

Start from issue one of the first trade, Vince. Ride that comic all the way through and enjoy. Then pick up the new Sandman Overture series and you're good for the main series, man.

Then you can look into the offshoot stories like Dream Hunters.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Start from issue one of the first trade, Vince. Ride that comic all the way through and enjoy. Then pick up the new Sandman Overture series and you're good for the main series, man.

Then you can look into the offshoot stories like Dream Hunters.

Sounds like a plan. It will be done!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ah, I see.

BG is the only Morrison Batman arc I haven't read, and seeing you guys talking about it made me wonder if there was a good deal to be had somewhere.

You should get into it. Not only is it incredible, but you're missing a key part of Morrison's Batman run.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Start at volume one and then - VERY IMPORTANT - get volume two and read that as well. Go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and then 10.

I think you can handle it man. Do it.

You know a comic or book is good with me when I read and let my dinner get cold. I could not stop in the middle of that block of genius text that is "The Clown at Midnight."

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ah, I see.

BG is the only Morrison Batman arc I haven't read, and seeing you guys talking about it made me wonder if there was a good deal to be had somewhere.

pls explain how you did this, it hurts my soul.

So you read Batman and Son? And then went right to RIP? Or to B&R?

It's definitely the OCD part of my comics loving soul, but people skipping volumes of literary (as in, long form, single story) comics just blows my mind! Didn't RIP just make NO SENSE without the Black Glove? Or were you just thinking "that's Morrison!"?

tim1138

Ah, I see.

You should probably do something about that, you're missing a pretty vital chunk of Morrison's run. This is so weird to me, did you read it all out of order? I can't imagine going from Batman and Son to RIP, and then it comes back into play again in Inc...
Yeah, read Black Glove.

I always thought that a comic with the right writer and artist could convey everything a good novel could do. Then you read that part, and the detail describing actions, smells, environment, atmosphere and you realize that no comic panel could could deliver all the detail. It made want to read a cape book novel, no art. Grant proved he could deliver that product.

tim1138

I wonder who at DC just (re)discovered Anarky. I don't think he made an appearance since his solo series ended in the late 90s, and then in the span if a year he shows up in Beware the Batman, Arkham Origins, and the GLC Zero Year iisue.

I wonder who at DC just (re)discovered Anarky. I don't think he made an appearance since his solo series ended in the late 90s, and then in the span if a year he shows up in Beware the Batman, Arkham Origins, and the GLC Zero Year iisue.

Probably the same person who decided that Katana and Vibe or Amethyst of Gem World were potentially the next greatest thing.

Vyer

pls explain how you did this, it hurts my soul.

So you read Batman and Son? And then went right to RIP? Or to B&R?

It's definitely the OCD part of my comics loving soul, but people skipping volumes of literary (as in, long form, single story) comics just blows my mind! Didn't RIP just make NO SENSE without the Black Glove? Or were you just thinking "that's Morrison!"?

You should probably do something about that, you're missing a pretty vital chunk of Morrison's run. This is so weird to me, did you read it all out of order? I can't imagine going from Batman and Son to RIP, and then it comes back into play again in Inc...
Yeah, read Black Glove.

There was a period of time there that I was in and out of comics for various reasons. I am missing several issues in that arc I believe, between that and Resurrection of Ras. I've picked up various things or issues at that period, but yeah I've always meant to go back and read the run completely from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom