• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
pls explain how you did this, it hurts my soul.

So you read Batman and Son? And then went right to RIP? Or to B&R?

It's definitely the OCD part of my comics loving soul, but people skipping volumes of literary (as in, long form, single story) comics just blows my mind! Didn't RIP just make NO SENSE without the Black Glove? Or were you just thinking "that's Morrison!"?

That is my favorite bullshit reasoning for dismissing Morrison's Batman as nonsensical druggy shit.

But yeah, with a writer like Morrison, and a run like his Batman, you gotta at the very least get all of the main issues/books associated with it.

Speaking of, did you ever crack open that Black Casebook, Tim?

And to throw poor Amethyst under the bus too. The shame of it all.

Just because Legion got cancelled doesn't mean you can hate on Vibe. I thought we were cool man.

I wasn't making judgement calls about them. I'm just saying that they seem to be looking towards underused or obscure characters and trying them out again.

I happen to like Vibe and Amethyst. Actually talked to Aaron Lopresti about Amethyst back during ECCC.

Oh come on. You're talking to the guy who has full runs of all the early-to-the-grave stuff they've put out.

I got my issues of Voodoo signed by Ron Marz. Well, the ones he wrote, I suppose taking the others would have been in bad taste.

I went back and bought garbage like Hawk and Dove because I'm a masochist I guess?

I give almost all of it a chance and ride it into the ground.

I'm the last person you should be scolding about that.

Well, except for Swamp Thing and Animal Man, Dial H,and Demon Knights. Didn't buy those. In hindsight Demon Knights sounds like it was cool.

tim1138

That is my favorite bullshit reasoning for dismissing Morrison's Batman as nonsensical druggy shit.

But yeah, with a writer like Morrison, and a run like his Batman, you gotta at the very least get all of the main issues/books associated with it.

Speaking of, did you ever crack open that Black Casebook, Tim?

The Black Casebook is in my bag today for lunchtime reading.

And c'mon Harrier, I was just giving you a hard time. It's all good.

And c'mon Harrier, I was just giving you a hard time. It's all good.

SALT IN THE LEGION WOUND BRO.

They do need to stop teasing Amethyst though. She has appeared a few times since and it really seemed like she was going to become a JLD regular, which would make sense.

tim1138

They do need to stop teasing Amethyst though. She has appeared a few times since and it really seemed like she was going to become a JLD regular, which would make sense.

She was in Vibe last month and said she was still a part of JLD, for whatever that's worth. Speaking of Amethyst, I re-read Milligan's Flashpoint Secret Seven mini a month or so back, I had forgotten how messed up that was. Good lord, that story didn't end well for anyone involved

Nudull

Banned

I was hoping for her to migrate onto JLD because I really liked Sword of Sorcery, short and cheesy as it was, and I'd hate for her story to simply end where it did. Alas, DC just seems to hate decent characters. :/

And I was only half-joking, we're cool. :p

EDIT: Oh wait, she's still in JLD? Awesome, if true. c:

Eldren

Half way+ through Batman: Black Mirror, awesome so far.

I really like Francesco Francavilla's art alot, different from alot of art out there.

Black Mirror is amazing, I'm glad another person enjoying it. And yeah, FF's art is brilliant. Check out his creator owned book The Black Beetle, all written and drawn by him in a gorgeous hardcover.

-----

Thanks for the Transformers info, people. I'll be adding MTMTE trades to my Amazon basket. Also all this talk of Morrison's Batman has got me super interested. I was looking at his bibliography, if I were to read his whole run, do I need to pick up the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul trade? I remember seeing a list a few pages back but I can't remember what was on it.

From what I read the Black Casebook is basically the equivalent of Batman X-Files written in the 50s and 60s that were the inspiration for some of GM's work?

Just reread Swamp Thing #10 with Francavilla's art today, the guy is unreal. Paquette/Rudy blow me away on the book, but it doesn't stop me thinking of a world where Francavilla did the entire run.

Wool

Just reread Swamp Thing #10 with Francavilla's art today, the guy is unreal. Paquette/Rudy blow me away on the book, but it doesn't stop me thinking of a world where Francavilla did the entire run.

I did not know he did a Swamp Thing issue. That sounds like the book he was born to draw.

By the way, when are we going to get that new Black Beetle series? I thought it was supposed to be around Halloween (since it's horror).

tim1138

From what I read the Black Casebook is basically the equivalent of Batman X-Files written in the 50s and 60s that were the inspiration for some of GM's work?

Yep, and there's a forward from Morrison where he talks about why he picked each of the stories present.

I got about halfway through it on lunch, and it's really a great supplement to Morrison's run. It's very much the wacky 50s Batman, but it introduced about 90% of the characters who become Batman Inc as well as Mayhew from the Black Glove. I can't say I'd recommend it to a casual Batfan, but I'm really enjoying it.

As an aside, I wish more creators did stuff like this, curate a collection of the stories that inspired them.

I wonder who at DC just (re)discovered Anarky. I don't think he made an appearance since his solo series ended in the late 90s, and then in the span if a year he shows up in Beware the Batman, Arkham Origins, and the GLC Zero Year iisue.

He was in Red Robin book before No52

Tizoc

So I finally got around to skimming through Trinity War and
Atomica's reveal as the mole/traitor just seems out of place when she kept telling them not to fight during the first two parts of the arc

The super-duper list for super-duper people

1293785_ful.jpg
1293344_ful.jpg
1286592_ful.jpg

1293375_ful.jpg
1293828_ful.jpg

kswiston

@CBR: "Sandman: Overture: #2 Delayed From December to February

...Aww :-(

Hmm.... As much as I love Sandman, I think I might just wait until this story is collected to pick it up.

My list:

Batman #25
Justice League of America #9
Manhattan Projects #16
All-New X-Men #18
Avengers Arena #17
Thor: God of Thunder #15

I'm falling behind on my comics. All I read last week was Forever Evil #3. I still have a bunch of books from the week before as well.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
@CBR: "Sandman: Overture: #2 Delayed From December to February

...Aww :-(

Holy titties, that's a hell of a delay. Man, that is unfortunate 'cause the return with #1 was great but it was all set up.

LIST

Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #2 of 5 (Dark Horse)
Wraith Welcome to Christmasland #1 of 5 (IDW) Joe Hill's new joint, y'all! Are no other Comics Gaffers supporting the Locke and Key writer's new title?
Umbral #1 (Image)
Watson and Holmes #5 (New Paradigm)

Anything That Loves GN (Northwest Press)
The Walking Dead TP 19 (Image)

Dropping:
Shaolin Cowboy at issue #2 (Dark Horse) No preview has been made available to help me decide whether I want to to continue with the title, but it looks unlikely at this time.

Solid State Tank Girl HC is released this week, as well. I'll pick that up eventually. What I've heard about it makes it sound too crazy to miss.

Wraith Welcome to Christmasland #1 of 5 (IDW) Joe Hill's new joint, y'all! Are no other Comics Gaffers supporting the Locke and Key writer's new title?

Oh it'll be bought and supported all right, just in lovely HC form. I love everything he touches though, and after a slow start, I did really enjoy NOS4R2 (I still think Horns is far superior though). Novel-wise, I don't know if he'll ever hold a candle to his dad, for me, but his comic work is absolutely amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Wraith is better than NOS4R2 in a weird way. I guess here is where we find out how much GabeRod makes up Joe's awesome.

arkon

Adventure Time Candy Capers #5
FBP Federal Bureau Of Physics #5
Manhattan Projects #16
Manifest Destiny #1
Umbral #1

Nudull

Banned
LIST

Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine #2 of 5 (Dark Horse)
Umbral #1 (Image)
Watson and Holmes #5 (New Paradigm)

Anything That Loves GN (Northwest Press)

So excited for this book. I only hope I have the money for it. Bandette's out on hardcover this week too, which is lovely. Anyone else read it? :3

(Also, stop making me feel bad about not starting Locke & Key yet, ComicsGAF. :p)

I'm becoming more convinced by the day. Last night I wrote: click

Rich just wrote on bleeding cool:

So… what do we reckon? Despite the teasing, Bleeding Cool isn’t expecting a proper death of Nightwing, even if his identity has been revealed to the world. Though I do like the idea that Nightwing might die and be resurrected as a Talon. From a nightwing to an owl… Might also make sense of James Tynion jumping from Talon to Nightwing wouldn’t it?

It makes sense! Things aren't looknig peachy for Dick anyway her,el ooks like he's peering deeep into the black mirror

Nudull

Banned
Definitely getting that Batman '66 hardcover and the Lois Lane one-shot. That actually reminds me, I still need to start getting Batwoman in trade.

So excited for this book. I only hope I have the money for it. Bandette's out on hardcover this week too, which is lovely. Anyone else read it? :3

(Also, stop making me feel bad about not starting Locke & Key yet, ComicsGAF. :p)

Yeah, Anything That Loves strikes me as one of those books that I need to get upon release because it may be hard to track down later.

I've only read the first volume of Locke and Key, myself. I was just surprised, given the love that ComicsGAF has for the book, that more lists didn't include Wraith.

Eldren

Umbral #1 (Image)

I'll be getting Wraith eventually! I kind of want to read NOS4R2 first though, I feel like that makes the most sense.

Oh it'll be bought and supported all right, just in lovely HC form. I love everything he touches though, and after a slow start, I did really enjoy NOS4R2 (I still think Horns is far superior though). Novel-wise, I don't know if he'll ever hold a candle to his dad, for me, but his comic work is absolutely amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Wraith is better than NOS4R2 in a weird way. I guess here is where we find out how much GabeRod makes up Joe's awesome.

In his defence, he has in the past said that he considers himself a comic writer first and a novelist second, so maybe he agrees with you. I really liked Horns but I suspect I'm going to absolutely love Locke & Key
when I finally start reading it. Still waiting for the final hardcover!

Also I'm seeing a few people picking up Umbral. It looks like a really cool book, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts on that one.

dan2026

I have only just noticed that Lemire and Sorrentino have quietly been doing great things on Green Arrow.

People should be checking this out.

Meh List:

-Batman #25
-Bounce #7
-Coffin Hill #2
-F.B.P #5
-Marvel Knights: X-Men #1
-Rocket Girl #2
-Shaolin Cowboy #2
-Sons of Anarchy #3
-Umbal #1
Walking Dead #116

I'll be getting Wraith eventually! I kind of want to read NOS4R2 first though, I feel like that makes the most sense.

I'm sure you're right that reading NOS4R2 first would be ideal, but Joe Hill said on Digital Spy."It's very much a standalone story, and it's my intention to craft something that can be loved by people who have never cracked the cover of NOS4R2, while hopefully giving those who liked the book a new Charlie Manx tale to enjoy."

.. Which is nice because I'm interested in trying out the comic but the novel not so much.

kswiston

I have only just noticed that Lemire and Sorrentino have quietly been doing great things on Green Arrow.

People should be checking this out.

What issue does Green arrow become readable, and what do I need to know about the New 52 version that happened prior to that?

To me Morrison's batman run makes more sense if you read all of the stories he was involved with

Batman & Son
Resurection of Ra's Al Ghul
Black Glove
Batman R.I.P.

It just flows really good and feels more epic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom