• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issue 4 of Sandman, when Morpheus confronts Lucifer and the triumvirate in Hell, is one of my favorite issues in all of comic-dom. I think that's when the series really relayed what it was going for, and how truly well written, well thought out, and just how important it would be.

It's also got one of the absolute best lines in anything ever, regardless of medium:

"You say dreams have no power here? What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here could not dream of Heaven?

Owzers

Avengers 21: My complaints continue, a visually dull event around every corner :(

How do you screw up
releasing an Annihlation wave on the Builder fleet?
Hickman has so much going on, so many battles, that not a single one shines.

tm24

So i caught up on Fables, borrowing a lot of trades and floppies to get caught up. Man, issues 90-120 are rough. The Mr Dark stuff just gets so boring. And the Bufkin storyline just completely bored me.

Read some Fairest, and that spinoff made me so angry. Some good stuff, but theres 2 stories in there that just plain infuriate me

Omega

Banned
what is East of West and Lazarus about?

my google skills apparently suck because all I've come across are synopsis for the first issue.

Avengers 21: My complaints continue, a visually dull event around every corner :(

How do you screw up

I have to agree. The whole thing was too much that there was no focus on one thing. The only highlight for me was Mjilonir's trip to the sun.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

How do you screw up

Hickman is only interested in moving the pieces and it shows. He doesn't have a family like the FF to play on Parent/Children emotions with for the grand payoff this time around, so all you get is a stoic completely disconnected Captain America posing on worlds nobody gives a shit about but expecting some epic response from big dumb A's being erected. Its just all endless fluff with nothing tying into the Avengers as characters at all.

As much shit as I give Remender's verbose and also too big for stakes to matter Uncanny Avengers, at least stuff with their characters is happening there, perhaps if only because Remender is writing Cap too and knows what to feed back into the team book.

I think Hickman should have been given Iron Man as well as mainline Avengers to develop. Could still have told the same tale from New Avengers, but in Iron Man with Tony as far more of a main character and wrestling with the irony of being forced to make weapons that could destroy entire worlds. He could have then done the same as Remender and fed Stark emotions into the mainline Avengers title.

Instead we get a hollow Avengers, and one of the worst Iron Man runs in history.

Tizoc

what is East of West and Lazarus about?

my google skills apparently suck because all I've come across are synopsis for the first issue.

First off, you just gotta know that Lazarus is by Greg Rucka which automatically makes it a must read.
...at least that's my reasoning for reading it =V
Via TVTropes
It's the future and corporations have replaced governments. There are the Families (the heads of those corporations), those who provide services for the Families (Serfs), and everyone else is Waste. Food is scarce, so each Family keeps their seed banks secure. To serve as the Family's shield, sword, and bannerman, each family can modify one individual to be their "Lazarus."

Forever Carlyle is the Lazarus for the Family Carlyle, doing all of the dirty work for her siblings and her father.
I'll leave it at that, there's great characterization and Rucka does a wonderful job at humanizing and making you care about the characters.

tim1138

Really nothing from anyone opinion wise on the first volume of Justice League Dark, no one read it?

It was alright, it had a pretty strong Vertigo feel to it but Milligan riffed off themes he had already done in the Flashpoint Secret 7 mini. Honestly JLD is a book that has never quite lived up to the potential of it's character roster. Hopefully DeMatteis does good things on the book, I saw in an interview that he wants to expand the team a bit and was pushing to be able to include Etrigan, which would be all kinds of awesome. Since Demon Knights ended there is a sad lack of the Demon in the DCU.

yea it was ok. I had higher expectations on it and I still do so I keep feeling let down maybe? I still like it but its not what I want it to be. I want it to go darker? more Vertigo? If that makes sense.

Owzers

I'm probably going to skip buying the Infinity OHC because the art isn't worth looking at in an oversized format. Book might as well be a novel.

Justice League Dark vol 1 was okay, a little creepy and lacking in substance.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's also got one of the absolute best lines in anything ever, regardless of medium:

"You say dreams have no power here? What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here could not dream of Heaven?

My man. I scribbled that line, although a butchered version of it, in the private bathroom at my old college dorm. That line kept me going through some shit.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It was alright, it had a pretty strong Vertigo feel to it but Milligan riffed off themes he had already done in the Flashpoint Secret 7 mini. Honestly JLD is a book that has never quite lived up to the potential of it's character roster. Hopefully DeMatteis does good things on the book, I saw in an interview that he wants to expand the team a bit and was pushing to be able to include Etrigan, which would be all kinds of awesome. Since Demon Knights ended there is a sad lack of the Demon in the DCU.

Yeah, the Milligan JLD was a great idea, but it was almost pointless. Like, the characters didn't have a purpose and he was doing a Vertigo-lite thing, basically, which doesn't work for something billed as the dark version Justice League.

Also, seriously, does nobody know what the fuck to do with Deadman? He comes off as whiny and petty and just overall shitty a lot of the time.

Yo, Tim, I need more Vandal Savage in my life. Defending against a barrage of arrows with a giant turkey leg has to be one of my favorite moments in that run. I want to own that original page.

phoenixyz

I just started reading Sandman after all the fuss about Overture and that line really stands out. I need to get the next Volume...

vocab

So i caught up on Fables, borrowing a lot of trades and floppies to get caught up. Man, issues 90-120 are rough. The Mr Dark stuff just gets so boring. And the Bufkin storyline just completely bored me.

Read some Fairest, and that spinoff made me so angry. Some good stuff, but theres 2 stories in there that just plain infuriate me

Would you say fables is worth getting into despite being so long? Does it have an over arching storyline or is it all episodic? I'm kinda new to American comics in general, and the game from Telltale has got me interested.

Nudull

Banned
I'm reading through vol. 1 of Guardians of the Galaxy, and frankly, it isn't grabbing me too much, so far. Don't know if it's just Bendis (not that I straight up hate him, but I've only ever liked his Ultimate Spider-Man) or me not being used to cosmic Marvel, but it's not too terrible, either. Also found out that a couple of writers (Kindt, Pope, Gene Yang, Lucy Knisley, etc.) are coming to a book fair at my neck of the woods next weekend. Should be nice and all, hope I can get some of my stuff signed. :)

Splatt

Why does Bullock look so different in Batman and Detective.

In Detective, he looks like a male model, while in Batman he looks like his usual chunky self.

Eldren

Some more Miracleman talk from Joe Quesada plus two covers, by Paolo Rivera and Mike Deodato Jr.

1384279975.jpg
1384280011.jpg

Are we all in agreement that Rivera's cover absolutely crushes Deodato's? He always draws men insanely super-buff and it's really off-putting.

Can't wait for those five dollar reprints of a 20 plus year old comic! Brah has nothing on Shazam, once again Marvel is playing catch up with Geoff Johns.

Are we all in agreement that Rivera's cover absolutely crushes Deodato's? He always draws men insanely super-buff and it's really off-putting.

haha yes. Rivera is pissing on Deodato from a very high place, splashing pee all over the entirety of Deodato's work.

Almost feel bad for the guy knowing that he has to look at this static, flat, dry work next to Rivera's.

tim1138

All New Marvel Now Wolverine gets guns.

Some of the art I've seen features Wolverine holding a handgun—is that a sign that the claws might come out a little less frequently?
Paul Cornell: He's now carrying a pair of handguns, and fighting hand-to-hand in a different way. He will indeed be using the claws less frequently.

Ryan Stegman: I don't know how much I can say, but there will be guns, and there will be claws. There will be whatever Wolverine needs to get the job done—because he's the best there is at what he does.

http://marvel.com/news/story/21513/all-new_marvel_now_qa_wolverine#ixzz2kXy8YjLV

And some art:

Batman 25 was incredible. I feel like I'm reading something leagues better than anything on my pull when flipping the pages. I know the Batman fanboy in me is helping that but Scott and Greg are on another level each and every month.

IAlso found out that a couple of writers (Kindt, Pope, Gene Yang, Lucy Knisley, etc.) are coming to a book fair at my neck of the woods next weekend. Should be nice and all, hope I can get some of my stuff signed. :)

Sunday I had my first experience at a con chatting with creators about their work and comics in general. Nothing quite like seeing the excitement in a creator's eyes when they are discussing a property that means a lot to them. Have fun! And get a signed copy of Battling Boy!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Batman 25 was incredible. I feel like I'm reading something leagues better than anything on my pull when flipping the pages. I know the Batman fanboy in me is helping that but Scott and Greg are on another level each and every month.

For real, if this keeps up Black Mirror won't be Snyder's most recommended work anymore. It just manages to be so good every month.

The new Wolverine book looks dumb as hell. Love me some Stegman art, but I'm gonna skip this one.

tim1138

Yeah, the Milligan JLD was a great idea, but it was almost pointless. Like, the characters didn't have a purpose and he was doing a Vertigo-lite thing, basically, which doesn't work for something billed as the dark version Justice League.

Also, seriously, does nobody know what the fuck to do with Deadman? He comes off as whiny and petty and just overall shitty a lot of the time.

Yo, Tim, I need more Vandal Savage in my life. Defending against a barrage of arrows with a giant turkey leg has to be one of my favorite moments in that run. I want to own that original page.

At this point I wish they'd retire Deadman for a few years because no one has a friggin clue how to write him and make him interesting.

Vandal Savage has popped up in the Pandora book a few times, but it's just not the same. I want a book to bridge the gap and cover the escapades of Vandal Savage and Etrigan as they adventure through history. There's literally thousands of years of story potential there.

And also bring back Kamandi. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Filthy Slug

I'm reading through vol. 1 of Guardians of the Galaxy, and frankly, it isn't grabbing me too much, so far. Don't know if it's just Bendis (not that I straight up hate him, but I've only ever liked his Ultimate Spider-Man) or me not being used to cosmic Marvel, but it's not too terrible, either. Also found out that a couple of writers (Kindt, Pope, Gene Yang, Lucy Knisley, etc.) are coming to a book fair at my neck of the woods next weekend. Should be nice and all, hope I can get some of my stuff signed. :)

Dude, dude, dude. Go talk to Matt Kindt and buy a copy of Red Handed (if you have the cash). He's a very cool guy and signs books in the most unique ways.

Against all logic, that wolverine cover has its finger on my 90s kid pleasure centers.

Thanks for the JLD feedback guys, I bought volume 2 for Lemire, but wasn't really sure whether or not to get volume 1 just for funsies, looks like I can skip it though.

Jesus, you guys are psyching me up for Zero Year. Not long til June now!!! (haha)

Wool

Why is there a Wolverine #1 coming out in 2014? There have only been 11 issues of the current Wolverine run.

I don't like how often they are starting the run counts over. New Fantastic Four? If it's still Fantastic Four, keep the numbers going.

Wolverine with guns sounds so dumb, but not the kind of dumb that is so dumb that I have to read it. Why couldn't Stegman be put on something I actually wanna read

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Really nothing from anyone opinion wise on the first volume of Justice League Dark, no one read it?

I kinda hated it. 6 issues of characters bouncing around the world, often by magic or teleportation, having odd encounters with other characters. Character A teleports to Character B's apartment, they share a confused conversation before one abruptly leaves. Rinse and repeat with every possible character combination. Eventually, they all end up in the same room. Blah, who cares.

tim1138

Man, I'm gonna miss Matt Kindt when the JLA becomes the JL, eh?. Not only does he write the perfect MMH, but his Stargirl was just spot on this month. His Suicide Squad run has been solid as well, but I still prefer Ales Kot's short run.

Don't see why he wouldn't, dude probably has a lot of downtime working on Superior.

Do people really think contemporary artists have time off between their arcs? They switch artists between arcs because modern comic art is almost impossible to pull off 12 times a year, except in rare, Walking Deadian cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom