• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_FCBD_Cover.jpg

Oh God Carol looks ridiculous with that helmet. Blacked out figure lookslike Warmachine or maybe Cable to me.

Venom. Bet moneys on it.

I don't understand how Marvel can see that Starlord costume and think it looks better than his old one. He looks like a West Hollywood version of Havok on Halloween night.

The most intriguing thing to come out of the Marvel solicits is that comic superstar Brian Michael Bendis is starting a new creator ownedproject with Michael Avon Oeming. I don't know, you just cant trust these brahs with three first names.

WatXM is ending and no YA :(

I'm kind of glad some series are ending, I don't need my pull list going over budget with Silver Surfer and Ghost Rider in March.

Quick hits.

I thought Batgirl and Nightwing were cool this week but I'm a Bat/Gotham fan.

Superman/Wonder Woman was excellent. Helped that I watched Man of Steel on Bluray earlier in the day. I liked it even more the 2nd time around. I don't get the hate.

PS4 tonight! Probably read the rest of my comics leading up to midnight.

Owzers

WatXM is ending and no YA :(

I'm kind of glad some series are ending, I don't need my pull list going over budget with Silver Surfer and Ghost Rider in March.

i'm okay with only buying one Aaron x-book, though i'm going to miss the schools cast of characters even though it's been over year since i really cared about them.

i'm okay with only buying one Aaron x-book, though i'm going to miss the schools cast of characters even though it's been over year since i really cared about them.

We can only hope Amazing X-Men will occasionally have appearances of QQ, Idie, Broo, Sharkgirl, Eye-Boy and Kid Apocalypse.

And Nick Bradshaw! I hope if Ed McGuinness needs a fill in artist it's him.

kswiston

Aaron's WATXM run was a victim of crossovers and Bendis. Avengers vs X-men ruined its flow, and then it was made irrelevant when Bendis created a new flagship X-title dealing with some of the same characters.

My god though Stuart Immonen this week. I love how All New X-Men is working as a book. Filtering the WatXM characs and the UXM characs now through the pristine lens of Immonen's character work.

Dude is the most versatile, and thus consistently best, living comic book artist.

Bii

Aaron's WATXM run was a victim of crossovers and Bendis. Avengers vs X-men ruined its flow, and then it was made irrelevant when Bendis created a new flagship X-title dealing with some of the same characters.

I agree. The crossovers/Bendis ruined it. The circus arc was crap but everything else was fantastic.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I hate hate HATE how it says the Jean Grey School is... ending? I'm not even sure how that makes sense, and hope it sticks around as the base for the "Gold" side thats TOTALLY IN THE RIGHT. You've got Woods X-Men and Amazing that will presumably use it as a background, but yeah, what about the best new generation of young X-Students we've had since... to be honest, Jubilee and co in the 90's. Comparing Quire, Idie, Broo, Eye-boy et al to Bendis' terrible fucking creations is a joke, and yet their book continues unaffected. Let us also revel in dialogue that shames every page of Bendis' decompressed "well... hmm... y'know.... totally uncool!! sort of" shit:
bvu5Bi1.jpg

Wolverine in general seems like he's about to be written out of the X-books altogether and be character assassinated for a straight year rather than let Aaron have had his positive spin on the character. He was telling some of the best Wolvie tales in ages in his book, but everyone else was just trucking along and fucking the character into a big deep hole from which there is no return. The Age of Ultron shit just paid no attention to current day goings on and shouldnt have been released due to its failure to launch when it should have. Anyone displaying Wolvie as a killer post UXF and Schism just werent up on the character much at fucking all.

I wonder how Stegman feels about being plonked on such a failing book after being big-time. I definitely don't read the enthusiasm from his image uploads in the same way he was about Scarlet and Superior.

I hate hate HATE how it says the Jean Grey School is... ending? I'm not even sure how that makes sense, and hope it sticks around as the base for the "Gold" side thats TOTALLY IN THE RIGHT. You've got Woods X-Men and Amazing that will presumably use it as a background, but yeah, what about the best new generation of young X-Students we've had since... to be honest, Jubilee and co in the 90's. Comparing Quire, Idie, Broo, Eye-boy et al to Bendis' terrible fucking creations is a joke, and yet their book continues unaffected. Let us also revel in dialogue that shames every page of Bendis' decompressed "well... hmm... y'know.... totally uncool!! sort of" shit:
bvu5Bi1.jpg

Wolverine in general seems like he's about to be written out of the X-books altogether and be character assassinated for a straight year rather than let Aaron have had his positive spin on the character. He was telling some of the best Wolvie tales in ages in his book, but everyone else was just trucking along and fucking the character into a big deep hole from which there is no return.

I wonder how Stegman feels about being plonked on such a failing book after being big-time. I definitely don't read the enthusiasm from his image uploads in the same way he was about Scarlet and Superior.
Stegman needs to be on 2099 at least. Cornell cannot get the characterization of Wolverine right and that's pathetic since it is so freakin' basic. What is with Cornell? Brah is so hit and miss. Bendis created X Men are pathetic, they are like Gillen Iron Man levels of bad. Where the fuck is my Angela book?

Wool

Didn't Jason Aaron help write Battle of the Atom? I thought he was responsible for part 10 (aka BotA #2), which was by far the worst issue of the event. Don't blame Bendis for everything.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Stegman needs to be on 2099 at least.

I am endlessly confused as to how there isn't a Spider-Men book coming out with who's running around and about to be in 616.
- Scarlet Spider
- Agent Venom
- Mania (Venom Girl)
- Spider-Man 2099
- some possible hinting at Steel Spider
- if Superior Spider-Man survives Peter's return
- Ultimate Spider-Man (Spider Boy? Miles Morales)
- Ultimate Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew Part 2: Peter Parkére)

and possibly even more knocking around. Yost and Stegman would be a dream team for such a thing. Instead Scarlet is going to be trucking with New Warriors and a bunch of Kids, and Thompson is possibly going into Space on his 3rd failed team assignment!

Didn't Jason Aaron help write Battle of the Atom? I thought he was responsible for part 10 (aka BotA #2), which was by far the worst issue of the event. Don't blame Bendis for everything.

Its more the editorial trading that goes on behind the scenes. Bendis has the clear muscle what with his side of things being bolstered and mainly unaffected while Aaron has had to dance around shit since WatXM began. Now Aaron loses a book entirely, his side of the tale has been marginalised for... really bizarre reasons with Kitty leaving, and we're left with really shitty X-Books other than "off in its own world" Amazing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm supposed to be reading Sandman some more but got distracted re-reading the Frankencastle arc of Punisher. Goddamn I really, REALLY love it.

I am endlessly confused as to how there isn't a Spider-Men book coming out with who's running around and about to be in 616.
- Scarlet Spider
- Agent Venom
- Mania (Venom Girl)
- Spider-Man 2099
- some possible hinting at Steel Spider
- if Superior Spider-Man survives Peter's return
- Ultimate Spider-Man (Spider Boy? Miles Morales)
- Ultimate Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew Part 2: Peter Parkére)

It's like the Clone Saga never ended. The 90's really are back.

Ah, you should never have to *try* to enjoy a writer, and or feel bad man. I worship the ground Snyder walks on. I think the way he goes about exploring the characters he writes and the situations he writes to put them through to get there is literally how to tell a good story, it's literally pitch perfect for me. But there are plenty of writers on here I see people praise and I just don't like anything I read by the writer in question. Different strokes for different folks, everyone looks for something different in a story. You shouldn't feel bad for that.

nah I love Snyder, even Swamp Thing/Rotworld
Maybe its just Bruce lol

The most intriguing thing to come out of the Marvel solicits is that comic superstar Brian Michael Bendis is starting a new creator ownedproject with Michael Avon Oeming. I don't know, you just cant trust these brahs with three first names.

that could be cool

Wool

I'd take Greg Land over Chris Bachalo on Uncanny X-Men. At least he knows how to draw someone standing in place. Bachalo is the king of the rounded stumps.

Owzers

i blame Bendis for everything, even faulty PS4s. For instance, Avengers vs X-Men was a "collaboration" in that everyone got pinned to a book that read like a crappy Bendis book.

Hey Hickman/Gillen issues of AvX were great....everything else was shit.

Aaron just needs to have books that don't get dragged into events.

Or get destroyed by Bendis X-books. Hoping WaTXM gets a new name and #1 after it with Logan no longer there.

Storm. Storm and the X-Men has a fantastic ring to it.

Also Mckelvie is looking to be the main artist on UA for right now, so that is where he has gone.

Feel bad for Stegman. Marvel using his talent to boost there shitty Logan book...

WHERE IS MY 2099 SOLO?

Come on.

Pie and Beans

Supposedly the school isn't going away. I guess I'll choose to view this issue:
as Aarons "before it gets fucked with" epilogue before time. I genuinely loved the idea of Professor Logan, and am gutted editorial isn't letting it happen in favour of real cliche tired shit with the character (maybe even a pointless death). I'm concerned Amazing X-Men is going to be a limited run and just Aarons final "let me tell the fucking story I was leading up to, free of bullshit, then you can ruin it all" X-Exit.

MartyStu

Wait whats this about WATXM ending? Wolverine leaving the school?

The fuck?

Aaron and Remender are the last people that can write a decent (Professor) Wolverine.

Please don't take that away from me :(

Nudull

Banned
Wait whats this about WATXM ending? Wolverine leaving the school?

The fuck?

Aaron and Remender are the last people that can write a decent (Professor) Wolverine.

Please don't take that away from me :(

Welcome to the X-book future: all Cyclops, all the time.

nah I love Snyder, even Swamp Thing/Rotworld
Maybe its just Bruce lol

Aw, okay, so you dig other Snyder stuff? I feel you now. Yea haha, I guess maybe he just doesn't resonate with you. Speaking of rotworld, new trade is just about out! I won't ge tmy hands on it until christmas likely, but I'm mega psyched. I've dug both volumes so far, and it's such a buzz moment when
Buddy shows up at the end of volume 2
. Excited to finally see it all together, just sad to see snyder leave the book :(

Nudull

Banned
Aw, okay, so you dig other Snyder stuff? I feel you now. Yea haha, I guess maybe he just doesn't resonate with you. Speaking of rotworld, new trade is just about out! I won't ge tmy hands on it until christmas likely, but I'm mega psyched. I've dug both volumes so far, and it's such a buzz moment when
Buddy shows up at the end of volume 2
. Excited to finally see it all together, just sad to see snyder leave the book :(

That actually reminds me, I'm finally decided to try Snyder's Batman tonight. You guys weren't lying, this is pretty legit (still on volume 1).

Pie and Beans

Well, he was right.

I'm never entirely sure what Cyclops is supposed to be right about? Segregating mutants completely from society, winning equal rights or whatever from fearful demonstrations of absolute power, starting shit with governmental bodies all over the world and then not dealing with the fallout?

Chump even wants what Logan setup organically and successfully with majority support from the X-Men (and Xavier of course), but working out of an old abandoned death camp in the middle of nowhere and named after a guy he murdered and cant come to terms with.

Illyana's characterisation going from "totally psychotic and screwed up, time to turn my brother into a monster so he 'understands'" to "hey its just like old times Kitty! I miss my bro..." is also fantastic "sssssh, we dont need to explain why Cyclops side is the right one, we just hit this big red switch here!" storytelling.

ElNarez

Banned
Nobody is talking about this book brah. It's being overshadowed by Pretty Deadly and that's sad. Kelly Sue has never written a decent comic in her life, dat art though is schway.

I'm willing to give Pretty Deadly the benefit of the doubt until things actually happen. But Three, man, you'd think someone else would've run with the idea of "300, but with more fucked up actual shit from history", but nope.

MartyStu

So I guess the intention is to have everything crash down on Spock?

Shame. I was hoping for a relatively quiet turnover.

When Peter comes back, he should definitely date Carlie. Carlie is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom