• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

I was getting tired of WatX anyway. I wanted more of a shared focus on the ensemble. I'll probably see the series to completion now. Only a few more issues left.

Young Avengers. I've enjoyed it but I'd already seen the hints previously that it might be coming to a close so it's not a surprise. I suppose it's good they're ending it on their own terms.

Will try out Loki, Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk.

Sblargh

Banned
So I guess the intention is to have everything crash down on Spock?

Shame. I was hoping for a relatively quiet turnover.

When Peter comes back, he should definitely date Carlie. Carlie is awesome.

I don't think you can even pitch the concept without a clear plan on how everything will crash down in a spetacular return to the status quo.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
When Peter comes back he's going to have to move to another city, quit the Avengers, start again, and somehow get over the fact his entire family and set of friends gives so few shits about him they don't notice his total brain damage (at the least indicating a tumour or substance abuse, at most an incredibly obvious evil doppelganger) for months of his life and not be prone to fits of incredible rage. He might as well become the Scarlet Spider really!

Also Carlie is the worlds worst policewoman. Being written as the only one clued in (months after she was TOLD the truth) is not indicative of awesome, just terrible storytelling trying to elevate her over others.

Acid08

Banned
Looks like Young Avengers is finished as well. Now we now why it wasn't solicited. Gillen says it's because it's the kind of comic that's written in seasons, and they might eventually come back for another run. Hopefully Marvel finds something for McKelvie to draw in the meantime.
I won't say anything mean.

So I guess the intention is to have everything crash down on Spock?

Shame. I was hoping for a relatively quiet turnover.

When Peter comes back, he should definitely date Carlie. Carlie is awesome.
Carlie is too good for Peter tbh.

Acid08

Banned
When Peter comes back he's going to have to move to another city, quit the Avengers, start again, and somehow get over the fact his entire family and set of friends gives so few shits about him they don't notice his total brain damage (at the least indicating a tumour or substance abuse, at most an incredibly obvious evil doppelganger) for months of his life and not be prone to fits of incredible rage. He might as well become the Scarlet Spider really!

Also Carlie is the worlds worst policewoman. Being written as the only one clued in (months after she was TOLD the truth) is not indicative of awesome, just terrible storytelling trying to elevate her over others.
He doesn't even talk to any of them anymore, they aren't in his life. What would they even do about it? He's Spider-Man not some fucking junky they can have an intervention for.

Carlie also needs stone kind of proof instead of just going WAIT BUT OCK SAID HE WAS PETER BEFORE HE DIED PLZ BELIEVE ME.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Carlie also needs stone kind of proof instead of just going WAIT BUT OCK SAID HE WAS PETER BEFORE HE DIED PLZ BELIEVE ME.

She just got it and then conveniently fell into a hole before telling anyone important. I'm not sure why her default outfit isn't simply:
abF3vYb.jpg

OHHHHH NOOOHHHHH, MY GLASSSSSESSSSSS~

Deprive

She just got it and then conveniently fell into a hole before telling anyone important. I'm not sure why her default outfit isn't simply:
abF3vYb.jpg

OHHHHH NOOOHHHHH, MY GLASSSSSESSSSSS~

Yeah how the hell did that happen. How the hell did she not see the hole? :\

This issue is making me change my idea of how this all might go down.
So maybe Gobby isn't Parker after all. Since Ock's body would still be in the grave. Maybe Gobby plans on downloading Pete into a new body, then again Ock's body would be rotted away.

shit.. I dunno :\

Not really feeling Arkham War. 2 issues in and nothing has really happened. I mean, I'm gonna get the rest, 2 issues in to a 6 part series but something needs to happen.

Suicide Squad was enjoyable. I'm enjoying Kindt writing this and I wonder is he the new permanent writer for this? Seems like he is writing 47 books right now.

Oh shit, another Kindt book. JLA was good. He definitely has a grasp on the MM character.

Kindt is doing.

Suicide Squad
JLA
MK Spider-Man
Unity
Mind Mgmt

Ok not 47 but 5 or so and some writers can't even do 1 fucking comic right.

All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are both great. You guys are way too harsh on those books. All the X-books are good except that steaming turd Astonishing X-Men.

Vyer

WatXM and YA?!? Damn, considering I was dropping all the other X books that's a good chunk of my list gone. Maybe I'll stick with ANXM and Amazing.

ElNarez

Banned
All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are both great. You guys are way too harsh on those books. All the X-books are good except that steaming turd Astonishing X-Men.

Aye to that, Bendis found the place in comics where he can run wild and have people have long talks about their feelings and bicker and it's appropriate.

MartyStu

Aye to that, Bendis found the place in comics where he can run wild and have people have long talks about their feelings and bicker and it's appropriate.

It really isn't :(

All-New made me want to bitch-slap everyone on panel whenever they opened their mouths.

I like Bendis's Maria Hill though. I want to more Maria Hill as written by Bendis.

I don't think you can even pitch the concept without a clear plan on how everything will crash down in a spetacular return to the status quo.

Yeah, I know. I just really wanted something better than what I was expecting.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
WatXM and YA?!? Damn, considering I was dropping all the other X books that's a good chunk of my list gone. Maybe I'll stick with ANXM and Amazing.

I feel the same way.... I mean who doesn't like WatXM..... I feel like this was done to focus more on the All new X-men (aka bendis drama) when WatXM was pretty damn good.

Also on the low my two favorite Marvel books are Deadpool and the Superior Foes of Spiderman. are either of those going through upcoming changes?

When did Guardians of the Galaxy become Guardians of Earth? =\

Once bendis got a whole of them and was told to make them movie ready..... the mid/late 2000's stuff was the best stuff marvel was putting out at the time because it didn't involve civil war

I'm never entirely sure what Cyclops is supposed to be right about? Segregating mutants completely from society, winning equal rights or whatever from fearful demonstrations of absolute power, starting shit with governmental bodies all over the world and then not dealing with the fallout?

Chump even wants what Logan setup organically and successfully with majority support from the X-Men (and Xavier of course), but working out of an old abandoned death camp in the middle of nowhere and named after a guy he murdered and cant come to terms with.

Illyana's characterisation going from "totally psychotic and screwed up, time to turn my brother into a monster so he 'understands'" to "hey its just like old times Kitty! I miss my bro..." is also fantastic "sssssh, we dont need to explain why Cyclops side is the right one, we just hit this big red switch here!" storytelling.

Nail on the head.

ElNarez

Banned
I dunno man, Cyclops' current characterization is pretty fucking straightforward: He's pretty fucking tired of things fucking sucking for mutants and he's gonna do whatever it takes to make sure mutants are not fucked with. With the added wrinkle of being on the run due to the whole "being world's most wanted terrorist for using a cosmic force of destruction to impose his will on the entire planet and murdering Charles Xavier" thing.

Meanwhile, Wolverine has had multiple lifetimes of things fucking sucking for mutants and he wants to make sure kids get a safe place where they're not being fucked with, while trying to get integrated in a world that kinda hates and fear them.

They hate the shit out of one another not only because really they always have, but also because they both feel the other one is a huge fucking hypocrite -Cyke espousing the "whatever it takes" attitude Wolverine was all about for years and Logan being mostly pacific except when kids need to be defended-

It's pretty fucking straightforward, really.

As for Ilyana, Bendis could've made a smoother transition, but having her powers being gigafucked could really justify a change in attitude, though, yeah, the Gillen characterization fucking ruled.

EDIT: GOOF TIME NOW, with the solicit for Thunderbolts #22
THUNDERBOLTS #22

"NO MERCY" Part 3
• How far would the Thunderbolts go to deal with Mercy?
• Would they make a deal...with the devil?
• Or Mephisto, who is technically not the devil?

Just ordered from Barnes and Nobles:

Batman And Son, Batman The Black Glove (Grant Morrison), all that talk about his run i gotta check it out

I also got Batman: Vol. 2 City of Owls (now ill have 1,2,3 and the single issues up to date)

and last but not least Chew vol. 4 :)

I'll be reading Coffin Hill for sure. On a personal level, I love that that New England small town horror vibe, it just screams King at me, so hopefully it can live up to that haha and the art looks fantastic. On a broader level, Fables is going away which means my better half will be down two books, American Vamp doesn't come back proper til March so a new proper story trade is a ways off so that's another she's without, so this looks like something she might really like that I could get her and then read after. I'm thinking of getting her Hinterkind too if it reviews well over the next few months.

Anyone else that article about the bunker on CBR yesterday? Really interested in that book, somehow I'd missed it until now, but I'll definitely give the first volume a go when Oni gets it out. Hopefully Fialkov's I Vamp arrives today, dude seems to be good at writing interesting horror vibed books, and I'm always on the look out for more, need to see if I like his work.

Coffin Hill looks cool, can't wait for the trade

Aw, okay, so you dig other Snyder stuff? I feel you now. Yea haha, I guess maybe he just doesn't resonate with you. Speaking of rotworld, new trade is just about out! I won't ge tmy hands on it until christmas likely, but I'm mega psyched. I've dug both volumes so far, and it's such a buzz moment when
Buddy shows up at the end of volume 2
. Excited to finally see it all together, just sad to see snyder leave the book :(

I was bummed when he was jumping off too, but I think Swamp Thing has stayed good since he left...if you were still wanting to get it.

Mafro

I'm never entirely sure what Cyclops is supposed to be right about? Segregating mutants completely from society, winning equal rights or whatever from fearful demonstrations of absolute power, starting shit with governmental bodies all over the world and then not dealing with the fallout?

Chump even wants what Logan setup organically and successfully with majority support from the X-Men (and Xavier of course), but working out of an old abandoned death camp in the middle of nowhere and named after a guy he murdered and cant come to terms with.

Illyana's characterisation going from "totally psychotic and screwed up, time to turn my brother into a monster so he 'understands'" to "hey its just like old times Kitty! I miss my bro..." is also fantastic "sssssh, we dont need to explain why Cyclops side is the right one, we just hit this big red switch here!" storytelling.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

tim1138

Yeah, it reads really quick. I have not counted pages but each issue seems very focused. There is no extra fluff in there which can be a good thing.

I just went back and looked, issue 1 was 24 pages of story and issue 2 was only 18. So it was shorter and it wasn't just me. Regardless, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

I was bummed when he was jumping off too, but I think Swamp Thing has stayed good since he left...if you were still wanting to get it.

Yea, I had originally just assumed I'd be off after the third volume as I was really there for the creative team, but I have saw how high Soule's issues are consistently reviewing. I think I'll probably stay on, I feel like Soule is becoming prolific enough in both the big two and indie comics that I need to try him soon, so it's as good a place as any.

For anyone interested in that Fialkov book I mentioned a few posts back, here's a good piece CBR did with him when it launched: Click and the book's actual site: Click. Oni will be publishing it as one of their few monthlies soon so there will be that avenue too.

Sadly I Vamp didn't arrive today, but Dial H did, so I have that to enjoy over the weekend, thanks to Eldren for getting me looking at China Mieville in the first place and a few of you other guys for giving me feedback on the book when I was considering buying it, I'm pretty excited! Flicked through the book and the art looks niiiiiice. And Ponticelli on the next volume??

EDIT: OH, and Tim, did you get hold of Unknown Soldier yet?

tim1138

To whoever recommended the Dysart run on Unknown Soldier (I think it was doniewhalberg), I got volumes 1 and 2 from the library yesterday and they're in my bag for lunch time reading today.

Hah, I was making my post while you edited.

To whoever recommended the Dysart run on Unknown Soldier (I think it was doniewhalberg), I got volumes 1 and 2 from the library yesterday and they're in my bag for lunch time reading today.

Haha that's amazing. That's cool, looking forward to hearing what you think. I hope you don't cry in front of your work colleagues/class mates/friends during your lunch. That Ponticelli art + the feel of the pages, everything about those books is perfect.

On the vertigo Mount Rushmore for sure

tim1138

The Super Best Friends Forever figure set that I ordered for my wife were delivered yesterday. I was surprised by how big they are, I was thinking they'd be around the same size as the Funko Pop vinyl figures but they're much larger. I wanna say the Batgirl figure is around 5.5 inches tall and Wonder Girl is around 7 with Supergirl somewhere in between. The molds and paint jobs are super high quality, for example Wonder Girl's bracers have a chrome finish. If anyone is interested I'll try to snap a few photos of the set this weekend

Messi

The Super Best Friends Forever figure set that I ordered for my wife were delivered yesterday. I was surprised by how big they are, I was thinking they'd be around the same size as the Funko Pop vinyl figures but they're much larger. I wanna say the Batgirl figure is around 5.5 inches tall and Wonder Girl is around 7 with Supergirl somewhere in between. The molds and paint jobs are super high quality, for example Wonder Girl's bracers have a chrome finish. If anyone is interested I'll try to snap a few photos of the set this weekend

I'd love to see them

I ended up preordering the non SDCC ones...

Read the first issue of Dial H and say whaaaat. I can't believe they published that as a straight up new 52 book, it definitely reads as Vertigo. Very weird and moves to its own strange rhythm but extremely engaging too. I really liked it, and I always enjoy a writer who has me actually go check a word or two during a read. I feel like my brain expanded even if I don't know entirely what went on. Pretty awesome.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Im giving up on Six Gun Gorilla after 3 issues. Im not a fan of Blue and only want to know more about the gorilla, but he only gets 2-3 panels each comic, so I'm bailing.

Tizoc

Wow only a handful of series this week for me to read, usually there'd be a dozen.
This week as only Batman 25 which didn't impress me much but man oh man was Superior Foes of Spiderman #5 great!
Fuckin' Boomerang man, Boomerang...also *PEW*

tim1138

Read through the first Unknown Soldier tpband started the second on my lunch hour today, man that was good stuff. The writing, the art, thr colors, it's all just top notch stuff. There is a two page spread early in the second volume where a character sees Moses as a spirit that is brilliantly done. Enough with the superlatives though, I can't wait to dig in to this further and find out what exactly happened to Moses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom