• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

Read the first issue of Dial H and say whaaaat. I can't believe they published that as a straight up new 52 book, it definitely reads as Vertigo. Very weird and moves to its own strange rhythm but extremely engaging too. I really liked it, and I always enjoy a writer who has me actually go check a word or two during a read. I feel like my brain expanded even if I don't know entirely what went on. Pretty awesome.

Just so you know, Miéville's novels are all like that. I downloaded a dictionary app to my phone while I was reading Kraken. But now I understand what he means when he says "solipsistic"!

I've only read the first trade but I love the characters. Boy Chimney is probably my favourite of the first trade. I love that one page where his hat is so tall it goes right off the page.

"Brick up this brickway, my lad, can't scratch my itch with even so elegantly twirled a cudgel. Oh I shall smoke you out." Still can't believe he got to write this book.

-----

February Image solicits look awesome. The Fuse and Undertow both look really cool, plus East Of West vol. 2 & Revival vol. 3 (will be preordering both ASAP). Absolutely love that Umbral cover, will definitely be picking that up in trade. Gorgeous cover for Five Ghosts. Velvet, Sex Criminals, Black Science, Revival, Manhattan Projects (I'm hoping to start this series soon), Fatale (same) and Deadly Class all going strong. Excellent stuff all round.

Revival issue 18 and Volume 3 (issues 12-17) released in the same month, god bless Image comics.

Tizoc

Greg Rucka's Wolverine run is so good, just got done reading Book 1 The Brotherhood,
really liked Nightcrawler's talk with him
If you haven't read it, do yourself a favour and get on that asap.

Kurtis J. Wiebe, the writer of Rat Queens, said on Twitter that RQ will have a 5 months on 2 months off schedule.

Edit: I support the man to write according to his schedule, because I freaking love the book, but it looks like we're gonna have to change the meaning of the word "ongoing."

Umbral and Manifest Destiny were so schway. When will the Image hits end? February solicits were dropping some bombs. Invincible looks like it is on a quarterly release schedule or something.

Messi

Kurtis J. Wiebe, the writer of Rat Queens, said on Twitter that RQ will have a 5 months on 2 months off schedule.

Edit: I support the man to write according to his schedule, because I freaking love the book, but it looks like we're gonna have to change the meaning of the word "ongoing."

Fuck :/, well at least they won't get burnt out like that. Same goes for SAGA also.

Ongoing ≠ monthly

ElNarez

Banned
Man this Wood thing feels like a fucking punch in the gut. I was genuinely excited at the prospect of Monet in X-Men and now I feel betrayed because it turns out the book is written by a piece of human garbage. Fuck Brian Wood, fuck his bullshit non-apology, fuck this industry for letting him get away with it, fuck everything.

Eldren

Kinda sounds like an extended version of what Hickman and Dragotta are doing with East Of West: 5 issues over 5 months, then the trade the next month, for a total of 10 issues and 2 trades a year. It's quite neat and tidy if the story is written in 5-part story arcs, and it gives the artist a bit of room to breathe, but I imagine that the 2 month wait for new Rat Queens won't be very fun.

Man this Wood thing feels like a fucking punch in the gut. I was genuinely excited at the prospect of Monet in X-Men and now I feel betrayed because it turns out the book is written by a piece of human garbage. Fuck Brian Wood, fuck his bullshit non-apology, fuck this industry for letting him get away with it, fuck everything.
Yeah, it's fucked up. The worst part is that that shit is considered totally normal and acceptable and apparently isn't close to being limited to Wood.

How the fuck are comics so sleazy, man

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Brian Wood :/

Can't say I'd heard about any of this, but I only follow a handful of comics people on Twitter.

I loved DMZ. Can I still buy The Massive without being terrible?

Wood's statement is pretty much "yeah, I made a pass but otherwise she's lying AND HEY YEAH THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT I'LL HELP FIX WE GOTTA FIX IT GUYS"

Brian Wood :/

Can't say I'd heard about any of this, but I only follow a handful of comics people on Twitter.

I loved DMZ. Can I still buy The Massive without being terrible?

Yeah of course. If you can read it without feeling terrible, which not everyone will.

I probably won't be buying his books anymore, but it's not like I liked any of the ones i've read anyway. X-Men #1 and New York Four were both alright.

Nudull

Banned
Wow. Brian Wood is complete human garbage. And yet, fans and the industry are going to let him go, aren't they? :/

Not sure if I can willingly support X-Men anymore, especially after reading Tess Fowler's Tumblr response.

Thai

Bane was better.
Brian Woods responds.

For the last couple weeks I’ve been accused of a lot of very serious things. I feel I have to speak up for myself and for my friends and colleagues who are finding themselves under a sort of scrutiny they don’t deserve. This situation has reached the point where it is affecting people who in no way deserve it, up to and including my family.
Tess Fowler is correct about this: I did make a pass at her at SDCC Hyatt bar roughly 8 years ago. But when she declined, that was the conclusion of the matter for me. There was never a promise of quid pro quo, no exertion of power, no threats, and no revenge. This was at a time in my career when I had very little professional power or industry recognition. The pickup was a lame move, absolutely, and I’ll accept the heat for having done it, but that’s all it was: I liked her, I took a chance, and was shot down. I immediately regretted it, and I apologize to Ms. Fowler for the tackiness and embarrassment of it all.
I’ve kept quiet for these last couple weeks because this is a problematic thing to address without unintended blowback. While I believe she is as incorrect as she can be about what my intent and motivations were, I don’t want to encourage any negative opinion directed back at her.
I think the larger issues of abuse in the comics industry are genuine and I share everyone’s concerns. As a father to a young daughter showing an interest in making her own comics, I do really care about this stuff. So I don’t want our difference of accounts to take attention away from that industry-wide discussion that needs to happen.
Brian Wood
11/15/2013

The fact that it was EIGHT years ago makes me think.

Blader

Wait, what's the outrage about? He tried to sleep with a woman a decade ago and she shot him down, what's the controversy? I think I'm missing something.

Wait, what's the outrage about? He tried to sleep with a woman a decade ago and she shot him down, what's the controversy? I think I'm missing something.
Here's the original article with tweets before she named him

He also feigned interest in her work to try to sleep with her, had a pregnant wife at the time, and was all "you should be thankful you're talking to me despite you're shitty cosplay" about it. Also he's considered a top feminist dude, and it's said that he's done that shit several times before.

Thai

Bane was better.

She's making it sound like he used his position as an established writer to pretend to be interested in her art as an excuse to sleep with her. And that's wrong.

But, 8 years ago, I wouldn't say that Brian Wood had any authority whatsoever.

I guess she Woodn't.

Nudull

Banned

He pretty much tried to pull a casting couch on her, she rejected, and he ended up creeping her and her friends out and making ugly comments, even after the incident. Going by Tess's account, just to note.

Acid08

Banned
I'm not a big fan of twitter lynch mobs but if that stuff did happen then he's an asshole and I'll be happy to not buy any of his books anymore. I'm not buying any currently anyway because his output has been mediocre.

When Peter comes back he's going to have to move to another city, quit the Avengers, start again, and somehow get over the fact his entire family and set of friends gives so few shits about him they don't notice his total brain damage (at the least indicating a tumour or substance abuse, at most an incredibly obvious evil doppelganger) for months of his life and not be prone to fits of incredible rage. He might as well become the Scarlet Spider really!

Also Carlie is the worlds worst policewoman. Being written as the only one clued in (months after she was TOLD the truth) is not indicative of awesome, just terrible storytelling trying to elevate her over others.

Have you even read the fucking comic? Spock cut them all out of his life. The only one that has been around him has figured shit out.

I don't get the fuss on the Brian Wood thing. It's very much a case of he said, she said. And there doesn't seem to be anyone anywhere corroborating either story. IGNORE.

Fuxking Five Ghosts man. I'm not a fan of anything remotely pulpy, but yhis series top notch. Shit ain't talked about and it is incredible. Good thing I ordered the first trade in accident.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have you even read the fucking comic? Spock cut them all out of his life. The only one that has been around him has figured shit out.

Have you? He's interacted with MJ and everyone else more than Carlie. His own Aunt is clueless, all his co-workers at Horizon and boss, Avengers, Black Cat, Kaine, and hell, even Kingpin has more an idea whats going on than any of these other doofuses. At least the FF have been written out for this duration so they weren't privvy to this shitshow.

Body swaps are good for a few issues, but trying to make a run out of it involves writing everyone that should know better as stupefyingly brain dead.

Fuxking Five Ghosts man. I'm not a fan of anything remotely pulpy, but yhis series top notch. Shit ain't talked about and it is incredible. Good thing I ordered the first trade in accident.

As a fan of pulp comics, Five Ghosts is some good shit. And you were right, Manifest Destiny was good. When I heard it "Lewis and Clark fight monsters in the Great Expansion", I thought it was gonna be some ol' bullshit, but who am I to doubt Image Comics I guess

ElNarez

Banned
I don't get the fuss on the Brian Wood thing. It's very much a case of he said, she said. And there doesn't seem to be anyone anywhere corroborating either story. IGNORE.

I feel you're missing the point. The story was corroborated, by Wood no less. It's an actual thing now as opposed to a twitter thing where you could link it to him, and the only thing he really argues are the specific circumstances. This is as real and as fucked up as it gets and that's why a lot of people including me now feel bad about supporting him.

I feel you're missing the point. The story was corroborated, by Wood no less. It's an actual thing now as opposed to a twitter thing where you could link it to him, and the only thing he really argues are the specific circumstances. This is as real and as fucked up as it gets and that's why a lot of people including me now feel bad about supporting him.

Alright, tell me the story, then. Because I'm getting too many mixed messages between here, CBR, and wherever the fuck else.

Eldren

Alright, tell me the story, then. Because I'm getting too many mixed messages between here, CBR, and wherever the fuck else.

This link that Serpentine posted earlier is a good place to start.

Basically Brandon Graham was talking about misogyny in the comics industry and apparently was getting shit for speaking out, so Tess Fowler chimed in and spoke about her experience. A writer pretended to be interested in her art in order to get into her pants. She turned down his offer to meet him in his room, then later he mocked her art, claiming he was never interested in her work, and took the piss out of her for cosplaying and said she should be grateful he could look past her costume ("dressing up like an idiot".)

The problem is that relatively there are so few women in the industry as it is and diversity should be encouraged, in part by creating safe spaces. Propositioning a woman for sex then lashing out when rejected is sexual harassment and is not conducive to a diverse industry. This guy is lauded as a feminist and an ally, he should be using this status to help stamp out harassment, not perpetuate it himself. And she said she's not the only woman he's done this too. That's why it shouldn't be ignored.

Ongoing ≠ monthly

What I was commenting on is that the model seems to be going through a transition. Comics seem to be released, with increasing frequency, in "seasons" or as mini series that aren't labelled as such. I just hope that the industry is thinking of new ways to plan for and catagorize these types of release schedules and communicate them to readers.

When I was a casual fan, I would saunter into my LCS now and then to pick up the new issue of the book I was following. If I didn't see it for a time then I would just assume it had been cancelled. If there was, say, something on the cover or even within the back matter to indicate the plans for release, casuals will be more likely to stick with a book long term.

. . .

Also, those of you not giving a shit about the accusations leveled against Wood can eat a dirty dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom