• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tess Fowler's exhaustive account of the incidents is pretty damning. It's pretty clear he was preying on her.

I think it's kind of odd that the whole thing is being framed as a comics problem. Seems like a problem in almost every professional and artistic field.

tim1138

The scary/sad thing about the Wood situation is imagining how much other skeeziness goes unreported because "that's just how the industry works!"
Wasn't there a big to do with Greg Capullo at a con last year where he didn't show a girl pages from Batman because her cosplay costume didn't show enough skin or something? I vaguely remember (and being amused) by him threatening to sue people because his wife was a legal secretary or something ridiculous.

If I like Comic Geek Speak and Cape Crisis are there any other comics podcasts I should heck out that are similar to them?

The Comics Alternative
11 O'Clock Comics
iFanboy Pick of the Week
Silence!

I also really love Ink Studs, but it's a different animal. Focuses on interviewing creators, mostly indie, and there are musical interludes. But it's really rad and dude talks with awesome creators. Brandon Graham is friends with the dude who does it so he's sometimes around kind of co-hosting or hanging out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't get the fuss on the Brian Wood thing. It's very much a case of he said, she said. And there doesn't seem to be anyone anywhere corroborating either story. IGNORE.

yea, the talk of this sort needs to happen, but it's a hard story to believe on either side. Until someone comes out with damning evidence I just can't take either seriously, but would promote that discussion on the subject be explored.

Nudull

Banned
The Comics Alternative
11 O'Clock Comics
iFanboy Pick of the Week
Silence!

I also really love Ink Studs, but it's a different animal. Focuses on interviewing creators, mostly indie, and there are musical interludes. But it's really rad and dude talks with awesome creators. Brandon Graham is friends with the dude who does it so he's sometimes around kind of co-hosting or hanging out.

I might try and check these out, I've wanted some more comic podcasts to listen to. :)

The scary/sad thing about the Wood situation is imagining how much other skeeziness goes unreported because "that's just how the industry works!"
Wasn't there a big to do with Greg Capullo at a con last year where he didn't show a girl pages from Batman because her cosplay costume didn't show enough skin or something? I vaguely remember (and being amused) by him threatening to sue people because his wife was a legal secretary or something ridiculous.

I didn't even know about the Capullo thing until now. Why do creators and higher-ups have to be so gross, sometimes?

The thing about Wood's response is that he denies the feigning interest in her art/instilling fear stuff, but he just kinda glosses over them to focus on anything else
Yeah but I remember a bunch of people going "wait, that's not how it happened" when the Bleeding Cool article on Greg Capullo came out. And nothing really came of it on the level of this.

tim1138

The thing about Wood's response is that he denies the feigning interest in her art/instilling fear stuff, but he just kinda glosses over them to focus on anything else

Yeah but I remember a bunch of people going "wait, that's not how it happened" when the Bleeding Cool article on Greg Capullo came out. And nothing really came of it on the level of this.

Yeah I don't remember all the details, just Rich pulling the story and Capullo going on twitter and threatening to sue people.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I didn't even know about the Capullo thing until now. Why do creators and higher-ups have to be so gross, sometimes?

Truth is it happens everywhere else, it comes to light in comics more often because the creators interact with the public at cons. This kind of casual, systemic sexual harassment remains a significant issue as women rise in the workplace.

Edit: And I know nothing about the Capullo incident or what the 'verdict' was there. Just saying, overall, all the public interaction contributes to the creeps becoming known.

tim1138

And now for something much lighter, and I apologize for the phone pictures:

IMG_20131115_215528_507.jpg

Blader

Here's the original article with tweets before she named him

He also feigned interest in her work to try to sleep with her, had a pregnant wife at the time, and was all "you should be thankful you're talking to me despite you're shitty cosplay" about it. Also he's considered a top feminist dude, and it's said that he's done that shit several times before.

ah, that's shitty, although wtf @ his reaction to getting turned down. What was he, 15?

Even if the whole preying aspect and subsequent insults are complete bullshit, the fact that he was going to cheat on his pregnant wife is bad enough for me.

Truth is it happens everywhere else, it comes to light in comics more often because the creators interact with the public at cons. This kind of casual, systemic sexual harassment remains a significant issue as women rise in the workplace.

Yep, happened at my dad's old job and I'm pretty sure it's a thing at my job too.

Oh.. my.. I just read Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland #1. I thought I had read a horror comic before. I'd read a shitty 30 Days of Night sequel, The Walking Dead, Locke and Key vol.1. But no.. no. I had read comics wherein horrible things happen to people. Wraith is a horror comic. I actually have that inside-of-my-body-chills feeling. And what's so amazing is how much sense the story makes. It's ingenious. Maybe I haven't read enough in my life to call it that but it's the word that comes to mind. Wow.

Eldren

Oh.. my.. I just read Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland #1. I thought I had read a horror comic before. I'd read a shitty 30 Days of Night sequel, The Walking Dead, Locke and Key vol.1. But no.. no. I had read comics wherein horrible things happen to people. Wraith is a horror comic. I actually have that inside-of-my-body-chills feeling. And what's so amazing is how much sense the story makes. It's ingenious. Maybe I haven't read enough in my life to call it that but it's the word that comes to mind. Wow.

Damn, this sounds really good. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and I'll definitely be picking it up in trade.

-----

Phil Noto, doing his thing:

So good.

Hnng. If that's what the art is going to look like for Widow, I'll be in for that as well as Punisher. Those two plus Hawkeye and maybe Kot's Secret Avengers is finally going to put a few marvel books back on my list. I want to check out Zero first though before I decide on SA.

Thanks for the Wraith write-up LM, sounds great. It's funny because I think Hill is a master of really creepy stuff in his comic work, but thats exactly what I find lacking with NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box (Horns is perfect though). He comes up with some really really horrible things happening to people, and the main character is fairly strong, but he misses for me on that actual horror feeling. Too much of it is just straight up grotesque and on the nose, they are great books, but not necessarily great horror. Your description of the book is exactly what horror should be, so super exciting.

Groof

So the first volume of Sif's Journey into Mystery finally got released digitally and I bought it rather quick. Am I in for a good ride?

Eldren

Hnng. If that's what the art is going to look like for Widow, I'll be in for that as well as Punisher. Those two plus Hawkeye and maybe Kot's Secret Avengers is finally going to put a few marvel books back on my list. I want to check out Zero first though before I decide on SA.

I think it's just some promo art, I don't think we've seen any interior pages yet. Hopefully it looks like that though because it's gorgeous. It's giving me serious Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy vibes which for me is a perfect tone for a Black Widow book. And yeah, Punisher sounds like it's going to be super good.

I think it's just some promo art, I don't think we've seen any interior pages yet. Hopefully it looks like that though because it's gorgeous. It's giving me serious Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy vibes which for me is a perfect tone for a Black Widow book. And yeah, Punisher sounds like it's going to be super good.

I love that movie ha, if they could hit that sort of feel it would be something else. I like Noto's art at times, not so much other time, it really depends what he goes for, and I just can't dig into a spy story if the art doesn't suit. This is really promising though.

Messi

Catching up on Ultimate comics Spider-Man. I am up to #23 at the moment and I don't want Miles to go away. Damn you Peter Parker.

Ghizz

Could someone recommend me a good series to read? have been out of the loop for a few years and want to get back in! Also preferable not some 'famous' superhero unless the story arc is super good.

Thanks for the Wraith write-up LM, sounds great. It's funny because I think Hill is a master of really creepy stuff in his comic work, but thats exactly what I find lacking with NOS4A2 and Heart Shaped Box (Horns is perfect though). He comes up with some really really horrible things happening to people, and the main character is fairly strong, but he misses for me on that actual horror feeling. Too much of it is just straight up grotesque and on the nose, they are great books, but not necessarily great horror. Your description of the book is exactly what horror should be, so super exciting.

Yeah, I mean, I imagine that horror is a bit like humour. What you find frightening or funny, I may not. But what I think most people would agree on is that Wraith is full of good ideas well laid out. It's well told story- however you may catagorize it. And I loved being totally immersed and having no idea what was to come. It has that horror quality of ever encroaching, enveloping dread. I quite liked the art, also, I should mention. Just a really good story/art marraige.

Eldren

Could someone recommend me a good series to read? have been out of the loop for a few years and want to get back in! Also preferable not some 'famous' superhero unless the story arc is super good.

Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory, currently available in seven very inexpensive paperbacks. One of the funniest and most creative books being made today.
acid, get in here and back me up!

Messi

Chew, by John Layman and Rob Guillory, currently available in seven very inexpensive paperbacks. One of the funniest and most creative books being made today.

I'll back you up on it also. Great series made me laugh out loud many times. Also the trades are cheap.

arkon

X-Men Legacy. Written by Spurrier.

I'll offer an obvious answer in The Walking Dead because it's the series that got me back into comics. The first 8-10 volumes are riveting. I devoured them. Some people lose interest some time after that, but I'm still reading and the 19th volume was just released.

I'll recommend my usuals:

Locke and Key
Sweet Tooth
American Vampire
Scalped
Criminal/Fatale
The Unwritten

All mega favourites of mine. I skipped Chew as some other peeps had said it, but that too.

Acid08

Banned
I'M HERE

Chew is the greatest comic book out right now, the trades are cheap and the hardcovers are gorgeous if you feel like getting a premium experience. Ignore every other suggestion and go with Chew.

WOW

WOW

I couldn't resist pulling your pigtails a little bit, Acid. I've only read the first issue of Chew. I'm sure that it's as omgwtfbbq as everyone says. I thought it was good and dug the art style but I just didn't want to read further. My great loss, I know, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom