• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. After reading Thor I'm ready to read some more by Jason Aaron. I'm about to order Wolverine and The X-men from Amazon, is there anything I should have read before diving in? My X-men knowledge mostly comes from the 90's cartoon show, the films and wikipedia.

Astonshing Spider-Man and wolverine

Especially compared to other Marvel events. Where were all these character moments in Civil War, Secret Invasion, AvX, etc? It was just a bunch of stuff happening for the sake of splash pages. At least with Hickman mainly sticking to his favourite toys we don't have half of the major characters in the Marvel U being completely out of character for the sake of story drama.

Indeed. One thing that I've noticed is that as time has gone on, Hickman has gotten the voice for many characters right, and those are characters with distinct voices, too. Thor and Cap drinking, Thor's speech to Manifold vs. Steve and Carol's speech, etc. He's really gotten how the characters sound in their own books down. One of my favorite issues of Hickman's Avengers (not particularly in Infinity) is when they go undercover. No, Hickman's Avengers doesn't have as many character moments as Bendis's, but I don't see how people can say that it doesn't have any.

Messi

Just read the Death of the Family issues of Suicide Squad.

Christ they were a pile of horseshit. Did I really need two issues of joker kicking the shit out of Harley ?

Quick question. After reading Thor I'm ready to read some more by Jason Aaron. I'm about to order Wolverine and The X-men from Amazon, is there anything I should have read before diving in? My X-men knowledge mostly comes from the 90's cartoon show, the films and wikipedia.

Chris Claremont & Milo Manara's X-Women one-shot.

1291263-1.jpg

arkon

You should be okay. I was in a similar position when I started reading it and I didn't have too many problems.

Cheska

A little off topic, but I've been re-watching a lot of the older DC animated shows and I just came across one of the newer ones, Young Justice. How is it? Did anyone regularly watch it?

A little off topic, but I've been re-watching a lot of the older DC animated shows and I just came across one of the newer ones, Young Justice. How is it? Did anyone regularly watch it?

*sigh* It was very good, just like Greg Weisman's other cancelled show, Spectacular Spider-Man. Many people loved it. Definitely worth a watch. It at least mostly wraps up by the end.

Messi

Man, still angry about those suicide squad issues. Some of it is offensively bad.

tumblr_mdi0elH26p1qgfe3m.jpg

Smh. Hopefully it gets better after this.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Bought three new series to give a chance to enter into my weekly pickups. All three at told similar stories and were paced alike.

Rat Queens was light, although it needs more substance.
Umbral dove right in with mythology, art was fine, characters were a bit lacking besides the villains.
Hinterland delivered the best exposition and worldbuilding.

I'll probably stick with all three, but Umbral is one bad issue from being immediately dropped.

I finally gave Morning Glories a shot and loved it, as did my gf. We will be investing time into the collected works after we finish Locke & Key.

I'm still keeping East of West, Saga, Sandman Overture, and Lazarus in rotation. I didn't like Six Gun Gorilla, Alex & Ada, Jupiters Legacy, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals, and Five Ghosts. Hopefully Black Science doesn't disappoint.

Veelk

Banned
Man, still angry about those suicide squad issues. Some of it is offensively bad.

tumblr_mdi0elH26p1qgfe3m.jpg

I liked Death of the family for the most part, but was it ever explained why the Joker was walking around in a mechanic's uniform?

Wasn't the the idea that he was "fixing" Batman by getting rid of all his sidekicks and hanger-ons? I don't really like Snyder's Batman much, but I do remember that bit.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! JEKKI in da house!!!

I read a few more trades this weekend;

Fatale vol 2 - the Devil's Business. This is a series that was getting recommended a lot not too long ago. I read the first one, did not understand what was going on >_< didnt even like it as a result. Finally read thru volume 2, and thankfully the story makes sense this time and was enjoyable. Still, I didnt love it and would not recommend this series randomly to ppl asking.

Rocketeer - Cargo of Doom. Since we're on the theme of stories that happen in old timey days. Story in this is not as crazy as Fatale lol, yet as basic as it was I really enjoyed it! I donno, perhaps the characters have a certain charm about them that I am drawn to. Definitely gotta pick up Hollywood Horror now!

also when the heck did comixology add all the Dan Slott She Hulks?!?! At least now I no longer need to track down expensive second-hand trades anymore lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Looking for advice on Martian Manhunter comics/trades within the New 52; is there anything worth my time as a Manhunter fan from the cartoons? I heard he fights the Justice League and refuses their invitation to join them, but that's all I've heard about Manhunter from New52 followers.

arkon

Looking for advice on Martian Manhunter comics/trades within the New 52; is there anything worth my time as a Manhunter fan from the cartoons? I heard he fights the Justice League and refuses their invitation to join them, but that's all I've heard about Manhunter from New52 followers.

I've heard Matt Kindt is doing some good stuff with him and Stargirl in JLA currently. So you'll probably want the trade when it comes out this time next year (probably, I haven't checked the release date).

Tizoc

Ostrander did a Martian Manhunter series during the 90s with art by Doug Mahnke and a one issue where Maguire did the art I believe
jonn0061ys9wr.jpg

Tizoc

Strangely enough, Paul Dini is apparently working on a vertigo book too, based on a bat character? I thought as of the new 52, dc universe characters wouldn't get vertigo series anymore, hence Swampy etc. coming over

Comic book companies tend to change their status quo and rules every 2 years or so.
Just look at early 2000s Marvel.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Holy crap is it a huge week for me, going off comixology's release dates anyway. Looking forward to these. List!

Books of the week:
Afterlife With Archie #2
Daredevil #33
Hawkeye #14
Superior Spider-Man #22
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #6
Wonder Woman #25

Looking forward to:
Cataclysm Ultimates Last Stand #2
East of West #8
Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray #7
Kick-Ass 3 #6
Longshot Saves Marvel Universe #2
Uncanny X-Men #14
X-Men #7

Picking up just because of habit:
Batman and Robin #25
Batwoman #25
Fables #135
Fantastic Four #14
Indestructible Hulk #15

Giving one last chance:
Sex Criminals #3

Comic book companies tend to change their status quo and rules every 2 years or so.
Just look at early 2000s Marvel.

Oh sure, it just doesn't seem that long is all since they made that move. I guess it's been awhile haha, I have a terrible grasp of time these days.

tim1138

Gonna check out all the suggestions, thank you guys!

Question, is it worth reading older Astro City or just the new series, maybe both?

It is totally worth it to read the older Astro City stories, but the wonderful thing about the series is you can start with the new series and not be lost.

Messi said:

Man just skip everything by Adam Glass, that run was AWFUL. Pick it up when Kot takes over for his short run.

Tim ,did you do an update after reading the 2nd Unknown Soldier? There's a book that justifies dc character's having Vertigo stories told about them.

I didn't like those issues but for different reasons. It's the Joker, I mean, dude isn't a nice guy. The series was just "meh" at that point. But it gets better in 2-3 issues, I believe (issue #17ish?), so stick with it. It's worth it imo.

What is a List, a miserable little pile of secrets! Have at you!

Animal Man #25
Batman And Two-Face #25
Batwoman #25
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion #2
Green Lantern New Guardians #25
Harley Quinn #0
Supergirl #25
Trinity Of Sin Pandora #5
Wonder Woman #25
Samurai Jack #2

arkon

Holy crap is it a huge week for me, going off comixology's release dates anyway. Looking forward to these. List!

Books of the week:
Afterlife With Archie #2
Daredevil #33
Hawkeye #14
Superior Spider-Man #22
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #6
Wonder Woman #25

Looking forward to:
Cataclysm Ultimates Last Stand #2
East of West #8
Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray #7
Kick-Ass 3 #6
Longshot Saves Marvel Universe #2
Uncanny X-Men #14
X-Men #7

Picking up just because of habit:
Batman and Robin #25
Batwoman #25
Fables #135
Fantastic Four #14
Indestructible Hulk #15

Giving one last chance:
Sex Criminals #3

Some of those release dates look to be a bit off.. East of West #7 only just came out at the start of November. I have #8 down for the first week of December.

Hawkeye #14 looks like it's next week according to Marvel's site.

Those are the only ones that I'm following that I didn't have on my list for this week. Didn't check the others.

Marvel:
Avengers #23
Cable and X-Force #16
Daredevil #33
Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe #2 of 4
Young Avengers #12

DC:
Harley Quinn #0 (#17artists)
Wonder Woman #25

Others:
Red Sonja #5 (Dynamite)
Ben 10 #1 (IDW)
Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #12 of 12 (IDW)
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye #23 (Dark Cybertron 2 of 12)

So I got those DC dark books and I've been ploughing my way through them over the weekend, got some thoughts for those who are interested.

Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. volume 1: So this was probably the most meh for me. I absolutely adore Lemire's own independent work, but his superhero work is yet to blow me away. The art is really nice, and there's a lot of silly fun, but there just didn't seem to be any depth to the book, for the first three issues at least. I appreciate you might say that's just the kind of book it is, but Hellboy proves you can do big dumb monster fun and weave a lot of character depth in there as well. I was excited to get to know all the creature commandos, but the wolf man and the vampire really just play off each other as the rule follower and the asshole, no real depth is given to them, anything about their personal lives when they're not on the job, why they actually bothered to volunteer to be mutated, why they stick around. The Mummy Khalis is probably the most interesting as there's at least a lot hinted about his origins, but he gets the least screen time of the bunch and doesn't speak, and they certainly go nowhere near those origins in this volume, so eh. The book definitely moved up a notch with the second half of the book, there's a story involving a Dr. Manhattan-esque character Frankie fought with in Nam and that at least throws a stone at what you would expect to be the central ideas of this book, the torture of living forever, playing god with creation, between the mentioned character and an interesting insurrection at SHADE headquarters, I felt Lemire was finally getting there. Knowing that he only wrote two more issues after this volume then jumped off makes me wonder if the last page cliffhanger goes anywhere or if the Khalis mystery gets solved, or if Kindt just moves on from them. I'll probably get volume 2 once I've read Snyder's part of Rotworld, but yea, I'm not surprised this got cancelled, I lvoe Hellboy, BPRD and stuff of this kind, but it just doesn't have the depth. I guess I have much more to say about this than the next book because I expected a lot more.

Demon Knights volumes 1 & 2: This book was cool enough, I really enjoyed the artists who worked on the book. I'll be honerst, if I hadn't read the second volume and had only went with the first, I'd probably have a lot of the same complaints I had about Frankenstein, but considering both volumes together, Cornell does come through over the first year. The book is really the usual team set-up where 7 strangers with almost nothing in common come together to face something threatening them all, and at the end they kind of find a common reason to stick together. Cornell manages to build Xanadu, Jason/Etrigan & The Shining Knight as interesting characters throughout the two volumes given they are tied a lot closer to the central events pushing the story forward, but the other "Demon Knights" aren't given much depth. Horsewoman, who is literally bound to her horse by some curse and unable to walk, & Exiristos, a exiled amazon from paradise island, both at least are hinted to have interesting backstories and have good enough dialogue, but Al Jabr really is just there, no back story, no real inkling why he's there bar being a decent guy. Vandal Savage is pretty shallow but thankfully that's kind of the point of the character, and makes up for it by being pretty funny. As I mentioned, had I only read book 1 I might have gave up as the entire story really is just the main characters sniping at each other as they're forced to go from one battle scene to another, but in book 2 once their quest has properly been defined, it does get quite compelling. Cornell manages to work in all kinds of wider universe cameos and references too. So kind of disappointing to start off, but the book is in an upswing and ends on a really good note at the end of book 2. The writing does a good job of getting you carried a way with the plot.

Just realised this post will likely be huge and I have another two titles to write about so I'll stop off the now and come back later and do them. These were probably the two I was least in love with, I have much MUCH better things to say about Dial H and I, Vampire respectively.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Some of those release dates look to be a bit off.. East of West #7 only just came out at the start of November. I have #8 down for the first week of December.

Hawkeye #14 looks like it's next week according to Marvel's site.

Those are the only ones that I'm following that I didn't have on my list for this week. Didn't check the others.

Dang. I pretty much use Comixology's site exclusively to remind me what's coming out so it's annoying that they mess stuff up occasionally, oh well.

Is there a Star Wars series ComicGAF can heartily recommend?

I really liked Legacy and the KOTOR series from a few years back. Also, if you haven't read the old stuff, I can highly recommend the Crimson Empire Saga.

Been reading Remender's Uncanny X-Force the last few days. I've had The Apocalypse Solution for awhile but got occupied by other stuff twice while reading it. I just finished The Dark Angel Saga, and I gotta say, this is top quality comics.
As someone for whom the original Age of Apocalypse story made up a large chunk of childhood comic reading, going back and seeing it after a long period of time was amazing. It was also so cool that Remender remembered that Betsy and AOA Sabretooth would know each other from Exiles.

My Hawkeye OHC came today as well. It is so nice, you guys.

Messi

I didn't like those issues but for different reasons. It's the Joker, I mean, dude isn't a nice guy. The series was just "meh" at that point. But it gets better in 2-3 issues, I believe (issue #17ish?), so stick with it. It's worth it imo.

Yeah it has become meh, but I will stick with it.

--

What do I need to read to follow this cataclysm event?

What do I need to read to follow this cataclysm event?

Ultimates Disassembled
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: Spider-Man No More
Ultimate Comics X-Men: World War X (maybe not this one, what with the whole Brian Wood thing)
Hunger
Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand
Cataclysm: Ultimates (yes, they're two different books)
Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man
Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men

Messi

Ultimates Disassembled
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: Spider-Man No More
Ultimate Comics X-Men: World War X (maybe not this one, what with the whole Brian Wood thing)
Hunger
Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand
Cataclysm: Ultimates (yes, they're two different books)
Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-Man
Cataclysm: Ultimate X-Men

Oh fuck..lol. I only read Spider-man out of all of those. I caught up to that and bought cataclysm: spider-man last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom