• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I want it to be really good, because I freaking love Giffen and DeMatteis, but I have a bad feeling about it. I mean I'll still buy it of course, but I have a feeling it'll be cancelled by this time next year.

I just wish I knew the reason for the title even existing. In all of their interviews, Giffen and DeMatteis have been extremely vague. They don't want to give anything away, which is fine, but that means they aren't selling the concept. I also understand that during the initial interviews they chaffed under the questions that pertained to if it was replacing LOSH; They said it wasn't, but that is bullshit, because they obviously have written and designed it to very specifically not contain anything from LOSH lore / history. It is not just coincidence that LOSH was canceled shortly before it's launch. So they've already lost two points with me. One, because they are replacing a title I love, and two because they won't admit that yeah, their title was designed to replace it.

I am obviously an edge case. LOSH is literally my favorite thing ever in the comic world. I'm the worst example of someone who is going to "hold a comic nerd grudge". You tell me that a property that has existed from the late 50s, which has at points in its history eclipsed Superboy / Superman in popularity, can't hack it in today's world and I am going to call bullshit. Some of the most popular titles these days are quite stupid in the basic premise or character choice but work their magic because of great creative teams. Yeah, no.

So I'm not going to actively support this title. I will likely pick up a shelf copy or two, to see just how dumb it really ends up being, but I don't think I am going to put it on my pull list. Let it live or die on those that DC feels will support it, but not LOSH.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Maybe he is still involved with rocksteadys next Batman game.

I think I will get heart of hush. I really dug hush.

Dini's take on Hush tends to be the recommended one around here I think. It was a great book.

Nah, they are supposed to be extreme. Nobody knows what it's like to be hated, behind blue costumes.

The Black and White ones were the best. The red just makes them look like evil clones or whatever.

tim1138

I just wish I knew the reason for the title even existing. In all of their interviews, Giffen and DeMatteis have been extremely vague. They don't want to give anything away, which is fine, but that means they aren't selling the concept. I also understand that during the initial interviews they chaffed under the questions that pertained to if it was replacing LOSH; They said it wasn't, but that is bullshit, because they obviously have written and designed it to very specifically not contain anything from LOSH lore / history. It is not just coincidence that LOSH was canceled shortly before it's launch. So they've already lost two points with me. One, because they are replacing a title I love, and two because they won't admit that yeah, their title was designed to replace it.

I am obviously an edge case. LOSH is literally my favorite thing ever in the comic world. I'm the worst example of someone who is going to "hold a comic nerd grudge". You tell me that a property that has existed from the late 50s, which has at points in its history eclipsed Superboy / Superman in popularity, can't hack it in today's world and I am going to call bullshit. Some of the most popular titles these days are quite stupid in the basic premise or character choice but work their magic because of great creative teams. Yeah, no.

So I'm not going to actively support this title. I will likely pick up a shelf copy or two, to see just how dumb it really ends up being, but I don't think I am going to put it on my pull list. Let it live or die on those that DC feels will support it, but not LOSH.

Oh I totally get your bitterness, I'm just numb to cancellation disappointment because half the stuff I read and love gets cancelled.

To speculate a bit on JL3K, based on the pages they released today I'm guessing the reason they're tight lipped in interviews is that this takes place on Earth 4 or somewhere in the Multiverse. Just a hunch.

I'm starting to get back into Batman books. Reading Black Mirror right now, then I'm probably gonna go catch up on Year Zero. Is it worth going back and reading the Batman Inc. stuff?

ElNarez

Banned
Oh I totally get your bitterness, I'm just numb to cancellation disappointment because half the stuff I read and love gets cancelled.

To speculate a bit on JL3K, based on the pages they released today I'm guessing the reason they're tight lipped in interviews is that this takes place on Earth 4 or somewhere in the Multiverse. Just a hunch.

If that's the case, it probably happens on the Earth where everyone is constipated because holy shit Porter's artwork is pretty good but all the heroes look like they're about to shit themselves.

I think you are giving them too much credit. I doubt it is anything more than taking some of the top tier characters and putting them into the future rather than trying to make LOSH successful again. They likely feel that in today's comic climate it takes a real special creative team to make characters like "Cosmic Boy" and "Saturn Girl" into (comic) household names like Batman and Superman.

Not digging the art though. It's not objectively bad or anything but just feels real dirty and unappealing to my personal tastes.

tim1138

Yeah, I give Porter credit for coming back from nerve damage or whatever, but man do I wish Kevin Maguire was still drawing it.

Hello, ComicsGAF!
Long post incoming; preemptive tl;dr: I stopped reading many Western comics when I was a teenager because I got burned by Teen Titans, and realized that Japanese comics are more self-contained, generally. I would like some Western (not like the Old West) recommendations.

So, as I said, I think I prefer things that are contained within their own universe. Having to read #X-#X of ______ to read another series is a bit off putting for me. Superhero comics are awesome, but I really love original stories that don't follow this formula, too.

My personal recommendations;

Y: The Last Man
Locke and Key
Batman (New 52 Vol +1)
Green Arrow (New 52: Starting at #17) | Hawkeye (Vol 1+)
Wonder Woman (New 52 Vol 1+)

All are relatively safe to read as solo / self contained works.

Yeah, I give Porter credit for coming back from nerve damage or whatever, but man do I wish Kevin Maguire was still drawing it.

I'm not even commenting on his skill. Objectively it's good; It's simply a style that doesn't personally appeal to me.

I'm starting to get back into Batman books. Reading Black Mirror right now, then I'm probably gonna go catch up on Year Zero. Is it worth going back and reading the Batman Inc. stuff?
I enjoyed Batman Inc a lot when I read it. I can't speak for the new 52 version though.

Edit: Are the colored versions of Scott Pilgrim worth double dipping? I really liked the biz&zero versions, but it has been a while since I've read them.

Edit: Are the colored versions of Scott Pilgrim worth double dipping? I really liked the biz&zero versions, but it has been a while since I've read them.

I haven't picked them up personally, but they are pretty nice books. They're also considerably more pricey than the original releases, so it's hard to justify if you've already read the story.

I enjoyed Batman Inc a lot when I read it. I can't speak for the new 52 version though.

They are great releases. I think they are worth it.

Remember when I said that I had an idea for a segment to replace "On the Bullhorn"? Well, here it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5lcMDk2.png
uqwNqxS.png

Here's How It Works
In the last week of the month (or earlier, if you're confident about your choices), any GAF member can send me a private message with their personal picks for the three best single issues released that month, from any publisher. These picks should be arranged in order of rank -- first, second, and third place -- and each ranking will be worth a specific point value. A first place ranking for a comic is worth 5 points; a second place is worth 3 points; a third place, 2 points. Then before next month's COMICS! OT goes live, I'll tally the results and point values from each ballot, and post the top three overall winners in the next OP as last month's, GAF-approved, best of the best. Then, maybe at the end of the year, we'll have a showdown between the year's top finishers or something similar.

A Sample Ballot
This is an example of how a sample ballot submitted by you might look. You don't have to use this formatting but I do ask that, however you send it to me, you are CLEAR on which comics you are voting for and in what order they are ranked.

Average GAF Member said:
1st Place: "Super-Fun Team Adventures" #14 (Mystery Comics; story by Jack Johnson, art by John Jackson) [worth 5 points.]
2nd Place: "Children's Bedtime Stories, Only With Nudity and Cursing" #69 (Happy Puppy Publishing; story by Jane Doe, art by John Doelner) [worth 3 points.]
3rd Place: "Grimdark, Extreme, and McDarkerson" #474 (Amazing Comics; story & art by Smitty Smithengen) [worth 2 points.]

The Voting Rules
1. Only single issues released that month are to be considered for voting; no trade collections, and no "just caught up" considerations for issues released one/two/however many months ago. Sorry if this excludes you from the voting process, trade-only readers and mail-order folk. I didn't see any other way.
2. Each GAF member is allowed one ballot, and once that ballot has been cast you are done for the month. If an issue comes out and you think it's the best comic you've ever read or will ever read, but you already cast your vote the week before, that's too bad. In other words, there are no take-backs so VOTE THOUGHTFULLY.
3. Three comics per ballot, and no more. You could send me a list of the ten best comics that month, with full paragraph summaries on why you ranked them in what order; but in the end, I'm only going to tally points for the top three and ignore the rest. You CAN pick just one book as the best that month... but that one vote is still worth only 5 points.
4. No ties on the ballots, please. You have to pick three comics as the best that month, and you have to rank them "1st, 2nd, 3rd" so that I can assign points to each. If you're torn between two issues of two different series as the best that month, and you can't decide which one you loved more than the other, TRY.
5. To make things a bit easier on me when it comes to making the OP, I'm establishing a deadline for casting ballots of 6pm Eastern Standard Time on the last day of the month. You can cast your ballot at any time during the month that you wish; however once that deadline has passed, any ballots sent to me will be ignored.
6. Again, to make things easier I would prefer that your votes be cast via private message sent to me, rather than through an open post in the OT. In addition to keeping the voting process a secret, using the PM method means I won't have to search through thread pages for someone's vote posted as an afterthought to an unrelated discussion.

Failure to comply with any of the above rules MAY result in your ballot getting thrown out.

Other rules and stipulations may follow, but for now we'll roll with these for the first round and see how it goes. Have fun voting!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions? Comments? Collective groans?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Sandman #8, introduction to Death. This comic is something special, and I had no idea how dark it'd get. Makes me feel weird...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
To clarify: I tend to see things through to the end and continue to pick up a title well after I should have bailed out and canceled it. Often times this is for one of two reasons; Either the writer is going to get shit canned soon (PLEASE?) and I'd rather take my lumps and have a complete collection of the run as a battle scar / reminder of the dark times (and because I'm a completionist) or because the title is going to get cancelled and I'm still a completionist.

You know this is an illness, right? Doing so is neither good for you or the comics industry.

Hello, ComicsGAF!
Long post incoming; preemptive tl;dr: I stopped reading many Western comics when I was a teenager because I got burned by Teen Titans, and realized that Japanese comics are more self-contained, generally. I would like some Western (not like the Old West) recommendations.

I used to read a lot of Western comics when I was a kid. I picked up Teen Titans, Uncanny X-Men with every new issue. I bought a bunch of random issues and trades, too. However, I missed a few issues, tried to get back into Teen Titans, but I didn't think it was as good... Years later, I tried again, and I was very confused by Infinite Crisis.

Anyway, because of this, I was slowly reading less and less Western comics, but more and more Japanese comics. I found that the overlapping universes and titles was just a bit overwhelming for me in Western comics because I didn't want to make the commitment to follow it all. I've been lurking (mostly the comics of the month) ComicsGAF for maybe 6 months, and I've been wanting to make this post for a long time. I've finally found some free time that I'd like to spend with comics, so here I am. I'd like some recommendations to get me back into the West. Conversely, if any of you want to try out Japanese comics, I can surely recommend something based on your interests.

These are the things I've read and really enjoyed/things that I know I'll enjoy already:
Uncanny X-Men (10 years ago. It's vague. I know.)
Teen Titans (Geoff John's run up to when they go to the future.)
All-Star Superman
Fables
Sandman
Scott Pilgrim
NYX
BPRD
Daredevil (Bendis' run)
Invincible
Powers

So, as I said, I think I prefer things that are contained within their own universe. Having to read #X-#X of ______ to read another series is a bit off putting for me. Superhero comics are awesome, but I really love original stories that don't follow this formula, too.

I strongly recommend Fractions Hawkeye and Waids Daredevil. Although they're settled in the Marvel universe they can be read on their own and don't need additional literature.

Locke and Key
Batman (New 52 Vol +1)

I like this list. I tend to skew my recommendations to almost purely indie books (not on purpose, I tend to just automatically prioritise in my head) but this is a good mix, all great. I consider those Superhero books on the same level as any of the independent books I read.

Tizoc

Hello, ComicsGAF!

I used to read a lot of Western comics when I was a kid. I picked up Teen Titans, Uncanny X-Men with every new issue. I bought a bunch of random issues and trades, too. However, I missed a few issues, tried to get back into Teen Titans, but I didn't think it was as good... Years later, I tried again, and I was very confused by Infinite Crisis.

Anyway, because of this, I was slowly reading less and less Western comics, but more and more Japanese comics. I found that the overlapping universes and titles was just a bit overwhelming for me in Western comics because I didn't want to make the commitment to follow it all. I've been lurking (mostly the comics of the month) ComicsGAF for maybe 6 months, and I've been wanting to make this post for a long time. I've finally found some free time that I'd like to spend with comics, so here I am. I'd like some recommendations to get me back into the West. Conversely, if any of you want to try out Japanese comics, I can surely recommend something based on your interests.

These are the things I've read and really enjoyed/things that I know I'll enjoy already:
Uncanny X-Men (10 years ago. It's vague. I know.)
Teen Titans (Geoff John's run up to when they go to the future.)
All-Star Superman
Fables
Sandman
Scott Pilgrim
NYX
BPRD
Daredevil (Bendis' run)
Invincible
Powers

Off the top of my head-

Mark Waid's Daredevil
Brian Azarello's Wonder Woman
Greg Rucka's Wolverine (should be what 3 books only?)
Gotham Central
Morrison's Batman run (skip Resurrection of Ra's Al-Ghul)
Transformers: More than Meets the eye (Start with Last Stand of the Wreckers)
Chew
Morrison's X-Men run
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Megaman
Rex Mundi
Runaways

Aizo

Banned
Try out some stuff from other publishers like Image, IDW, Dark Horse and Boom. Sounds like you're looking for creator-owned series. There's all sorts of stuff coming out from Image like .

Planetary. It's collected in four volumes, read them all, thank me later.

Locke and Key
Batman (New 52 Vol +1)

I'm not even commenting on his skill. Objectively it's good; It's simply a style that doesn't personally appeal to me.

I strongly recommend Fractions Hawkeye and Waids Daredevil. Although they're settled in the Marvel universe they can be read on their own and don't need additional literature.

Off the top of my head-

Mark Waid's Daredevil
Brian Azarello's Wonder Woman
Greg Rucka's Wolverine (should be what 3 books only?)
Gotham Central
Morrison's Batman run (skip Resurrection of Ra's Al-Ghul)
Transformers: More than Meets the eye (Start with Last Stand of the Wreckers)
Chew
Morrison's X-Men run
Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Megaman
Rex Mundi
Runaways
I like the bolded ones. I read them both last year. I shall note everyone's recommendations!
Thanks a lot!

Nothin' from my brothers, Rafa and B-Dubs? Shameful.

What do you all think of this Top 100 Comics list?
http://goodokbad.com/index.php/about/top100

I agree with most of the Japanese stuff that's on here.

Lum1n3s

lmao. Look at your avatar bro. I'm sorry but... you're addicted to bad comics. I fell for you. I was once like you, but then I realised that I had no money so I cut that shit out :p
Exactly what I had to do this past week!!! I ended up dropping 17 titles and picking up 2 with them being Umbral and Black Science =D.

vocab

I like the bolded ones. I read them both last year. I shall note everyone's recommendations!
Thanks a lot!

Nothin' from my brothers, Rafa and B-Dubs? Shameful.

What do you all think of this Top 100 Comics list?
http://goodokbad.com/index.php/about/top100

I agree with most of the Japanese stuff that's on here.

A lot of things I've never heard of. The Japanese stuff was safe stuff and limited to what is domestically available. Though seeing touch was not expected.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, is that the one with the baby? That was heartbreaking. Gaiman is a king of making you cry.

Yeah. All of them...I find stories of people seeing themselves dying, or their last words, etc incredibly sad. I don't know...I get the bad feeling this comic's gonna change me inside or force me to look at some things in a different light. Scary. Really good, and really special.

What's with this Brian Wood fiasco?

Ehhhh. He got some pussy some years back by "exerting his influence". Though I don't know what kind of influence Brian Wood had circa 2006. Bendis or somebody like that, sure. They have influence. Brian Wood though?

Everyone is losing their fucking shit over this.

Eldren

Spike, I think that's an awesome idea. I know there are a couple of other trade-waiters here and I don't claim to speak for them, but personally I don't feel left out at all. I'd love to see what people enjoy or don't each month. Will there be a comment section as well? Kinda like a one sentence summary of what people thought, and then they could all be combined into a review. Or maybe not all, that might be too much, but a few. Would that be too much work though?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yeah. All of them...I find stories of people seeing themselves dying, or their last words, etc incredibly sad. I don't know...I get the bad feeling this comic's gonna change me inside or force me to look at some things in a different light. Scary. Really good, and really special.

I reckon it it will. It's very much a literary comic that deals with with so many themes so thoroughly well that you'll undoubtedly stumble across a line, a scene, or just a feeling that will stick with you forever.

And sometimes that feeling is pure, brilliant, fun storytelling, like the Shakespeare issues and the Cat issue.

tim1138

Gotta question for you Cosmic MarvelGAF, when did Drax go from basically being a dumb space Hulk to an intelligent being? I just finished reading Infinity Gauntlet for the first time in years and completely forget he was even in it, let alone basically incoherent and only capable of stringing together like 5 words.
I missed all that Annihilation and War of the Kings stuff. So please, enlighten me.

I reckon it it will. It's very much a literary comic that deals with with so many themes so thoroughly well that you'll undoubtedly stumble across a line, a scene, or just a feeling that will stick with you forever.

And sometimes that feeling is pure, brilliant, fun storytelling, like the Shakespeare issues and the Cat issue.

Nooo not the cat issue.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friend of mine is trying to get me to read the Shadowland arc for Daredevil. I missed it when it was going on - how do people feel about Shadowland?

Gotta question for you Cosmic MarvelGAF, when did Drax go from basically being a dumb space Hulk to an intelligent being? I just finished reading Infinity Gauntlet for the first time in years and completely forget he was even in it, let alone basically incoherent and only capable of stringing together like 5 words.
I missed all that Annihilation and War of the Kings stuff. So please, enlighten me.

Drax the Destroyer mini before annihilation. first appearance of Cammi as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom