• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What's with this Brian Wood fiasco?

In the first case, he made sexual advances on Tess Fowler at a convention under the pretext that he was interested in her professional work. Upon being 'stood up' when she declined to meet him at his room, he lashed out at her on the con floor and later in private over Internet communications. In the other case, he made advances on Anne Scherbina in a friendlier setting which she turned down, and then used her polite banter as a weapon by spreading rumors that the comics community would know could only refer to her.

Brian Wood's response has mostly been to fauxpologize (aka "I'm sorry you were offended") or deny.

The least you can say is he was sleazy.

Cheska

Ehhhh. He got some pussy some years back by "exerting his influence". Though I don't know what kind of influence Brian Wood had circa 2006. Bendis or somebody like that, sure. They have influence. Brian Wood though?

Everyone is losing their fucking shit over this.

C'mon dude, is it really necessary to put it that way?

I think the biggest thing people are upset about is that he isn't taking responsibility for his actions.

frye

Though I don't know what kind of influence Brian Wood had circa 2006. Bendis or somebody like that, sure. They have influence. Brian Wood though?

Let's try not to be too disingenuous here. Channel Zero was published in 1997. Demo's first volume was done by 2004. Local and DMZ were both being published in 2006. This isn't some no name writer we're talking about, even "circa 2006".

C'mon dude, is it really necessary to put it that way?

I think the biggest thing people are upset about is that he isn't taking responsibility for his actions.

Honestly, I'm just tired of hearing about the whole thing. Okay, fine, maybe he's a sleezeball, but I'm not going to whine about it and drop all the Brian Wood books from my pull list. Tess Fowler herself said she still believed that he deserves to make a living from what does, yet everyone seems to be ignoring that.

Poor Rocket. :(

1384795464.jpg

Ehhhh. He got some pussy some years back by "exerting his influence". Though I don't know what kind of influence Brian Wood had circa 2006. Bendis or somebody like that, sure. They have influence. Brian Wood though?

Everyone is losing their fucking shit over this.

Wow, I can't believe this post. I've actually been through similar experiences to those these women are describing. The attitude you have exhibited regarding this whole situation is a good example of what a person would fear would happen when sharing these types of painful experiences. It's why we keep quiet. So, good job.

No one gives a shit what you read. Keep your shitty Brian Woods books, who fucking cares?

Why complain about what you're tired of hearing about here? We all hear each other talking about shit that bores us all the time. Welcome to a message board.

Wow, I can't believe this post. I've actually been through similar experiences to those these women are describing. The attitude you have exhibited regarding this whole situation is a good example of what a person would fear would happen when sharing these types of painful experiences. It's why we keep quiet. So, good job.

Like I said.

Everyone.

Losing their.

fucking shit.

I'm not trying to downplay what happened, or say that it wasn't childish or in bad taste. His methods of courting women are questionable at best, and it's certainly not a way I would ever treat a woman. But what I don't understand about the situation is why she would bring it up now. Does she just want the world to know that Brian Wood is a scumbag? Is it an attempt to draw attention to the systemic problem?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I read the first issue of the Archer & Armstrong and was intrigued. It seemed kind of zany and fun so I can't wait to finish the rest of the first volume. I'm talking about the new series.

Just recently started with The Walking Dead; up to #26 now. Couple of questions:

Does it maintain the pace of one key character dying, like, every two issues? Because if it does, I don't think I can handle that. I'm up to the bit where they're trying to find gas for the generator in the prison. No spoilers please!

Also, I'm reading with the trade paperback volumes... just wondering if I'll miss out on any one-shots along the way? I've tried to find out if there have been one-shots, because I know there was one for Tyreese a few months ago, but I haven't been able to find any ones other than that.

Does it maintain the pace of one key character dying, like, every two issues? Because if it does, I don't think I can handle that. I'm up to the bit where they're trying to find gas for the generator in the prison. No spoilers please!

There are deaths scattered about the story. I don't think they're ever quite so concentrated as they are toward the beginning, though.

Also, I'm reading with the trade paperback volumes... just wondering if I'll miss out on any one-shots along the way? I've tried to find out if there have been one-shots, because I know there was one for Tyreese a few months ago, but I haven't been able to find any ones other than that.

The only thing that comes to mind are the Michonne and Governor one-shots that had material from other magazines. And there was also a color, non-canon bit in issue #75 that never made it to the trade collections.

Nudull

Banned
Like I said.

Everyone.

Losing their.

fucking shit.

I'm not trying to downplay what happened, or say that it wasn't childish or in bad taste. His methods of courting women are questionable at best, and it's certainly not a way I would ever treat a woman. But what I don't understand about the situation is why she would bring it up now. Does she just want the world to know that Brian Wood is a scumbag? Is it an attempt to draw attention to the systemic problem?

I hope you realize the actual difficultly that women like Tess face in making accusations of harassment and such, and especially when voices like hers can be quickly silenced by every last insult and nitpicky question of validity.

Vyer

Like I said.

Everyone.

Losing their.

fucking shit.

As I have read it, she originally told the story without naming anyone as part of a Twitter conversation on harassment/misogyny in comics. Several weeks later she referenced it again but this time named Wood.

She says she did this because since originally telling the story she received emails from other women who knew what she was talking about and were similarly harassed by him.

I hope you realize the actual difficultly that women like Tess face in making accusations of harassment and such, and especially when voices like hers can be quickly silenced by every last insult and nitpicky question of validity.

I understand that. And I know that being a guy, it's probably something I'll never have to deal with.

At the same time, I don't see why people are surprised that this kind of thing happens. Shitty people in positions of power exploit that power to get sex. Welcome to Earth. This is not new. It's not right, but it's a systemic issue. And it's one that I don't think is going to go away. Because shitty people.

HE RUINED A PERSON'S CAREER!

I want to reiterate that.

Now on top of that he did:

"casting couch" method
bitched after getting turned down in a public place and insulted her work
spread a rumor that was untrue
hasn't fully admitted he was wrong in his apologies

And note he did three of those while he was married and he is writing an all female X-Men and is constantly doing pro female posts on forums and twitter which is making him appear as a hypocrite.

It is ALL of those reasons taken into account that makes it so bad. Already dropped X-Men and he can fuck off. If he ruined someone's career, his career deserves to be ruined.

And no I am not even upset. Just going what at the stupidity of not understanding why it is a big deal.

Nudull

Banned
At the same time, I don't see why people are surprised that this kind of thing happens. Shitty people in positions of power exploit that power to get sex. Welcome to Earth. This is not new. It's not right, but it's a systemic issue. And it's one that I don't think is going to go away. Because shitty people.

So, we should lie down and accept that women are treated like shit and never even attempt to change things for the better because humans are bastards and stuff?

Not to single you out specifically (and go a bit off-topic), but it drives me up a fucking wall when people say that.

So, we should lie down and accept that women are treated like shit and never even attempt to change things for the better because humans are bastards and stuff?

Not to single you out specifically (and go a bit off-topic), but it drives me up a fucking wall when people say that.

I never said to lie down and accept it. But what are you going to do? What can you do? This isn't a case of there being one villain whose defeat will solve the problem forever. It's a type of behavior that's ingrained into an untold number of shitbags.

Cheska

Does anyone in here own The Sandman Omnibus Set? Are they worth the hefty price tags? With that Barnes and Noble sale I've been considering finally picking them up and reading the series.

ALSO, did we ever come to a decision regarding a Buy/Sell/Trade system? I know that I'm personally looking for Thor: God of Thunder, World's Finest New 52 and Supergirl New 52 :)

woodypop

I want to reiterate that.

Now on top of that he did:

"casting couch" method
bitched after getting turned down in a public place and insulted her work
spread a rumor that was untrue
hasn't fully admitted he was wrong in his apologies

And note he did three of those while he was married and he is writing an all female X-Men and is constantly doing pro female posts on forums and twitter which is making him appear as a hypocrite.

It is ALL of those reasons taken into account that makes it so bad. Already dropped X-Men and he can fuck off. If he ruined someone's career, his career deserves to be ruined.

And no I am not even upset. Just going what at the stupidity of not understanding why it is a big deal.
More than reason enough for me to drop X-Men.

Nudull

Banned
I never said to lie down and accept it. But what are you going to do? What can you do? This isn't a case of there being one villain whose defeat will solve the problem forever. It's a type of behavior that's ingrained into an untold number of shitbags.

Of course, there's no one villain. The solution is listening and learning from these issues, progression. Shrugging it off like it's some everyday fact of life, shockingly, helps no one.

Of course, there's no one villain. The solution is listening and learning from these issues, progression. Shrugging it off like it's some everyday fact of life, shockingly, helps no one.

This is the part I don't get. I don't treat women this way. What am I expected to do when I'm not part of the problem? I understand it's an issue that exists, but I'm not perpetuating it.

kswiston

So IGN just posted a list of the top 25 DC heroes in honor of the company's 75th anniversary:

1) Superman
2) Batman
3) Wonder Woman
4) Hal Jordan GL
5) Nightwing
6) Wally Flash
7) Catwoman
8) Barry Flash
9) Shazam
10) Aquaman
11) Green Arrow
12) Swamp Thing
13) Martian Manhunter
14) Kyle Raynor GL
15) Babs Batgirl
16) John Constantine
17) Supergirl
18) Black Canary
19) Booster Gold
20) Jonah Hex
21) Starfire
22) Hawkgirl
23) Cyborg
24) Ray Palmer Atom
25) Damien Wayne

Super Safe Top 3. Hal Does not deserve his top 5 spot. Glad to see Wally getting some love.

So IGN just posted a list of the top 25 DC heroes in honor of the company's 75th anniversary:

1) Superman
2) Batman
3) Wonder Woman
4) Hal Jordan GL
5) Nightwing
6) Wally Flash
7) Catwoman
8) Barry Flash
9) Shazam
10) Aquaman
11) Green Arrow
12) Swamp Thing
13) Martian Manhunter
14) Kyle Raynor GL
15) Babs Batgirl
16) John Constantine
17) Supergirl
18) Black Canary
19) Booster Gold
20) Jonah Hex
21) Starfire
22) Hawkgirl
23) Cyborg
24) Ray Palmer Atom
25) Damien Wayne

Super Safe Top 3. Hal Does not deserve his top 5 spot. Glad to see Wally getting some love.

Cyborg? No John Stewart? Barbara Gordon? Aquaman? No Batwoman? The fuck???

Nudull

Banned
This is the part I don't get. I don't treat women this way. What am I expected to do when I'm not part of the problem? I understand it's an issue that exists, but I'm not perpetuating it.

Then you can be a part of the solution and step in when things like that happen and give women help when they need it. You only perpetuate it when you shrug, smirk at it, or ignore it entirely.

*snip*

I see no Batwoman or John Stewart in that top 25, this list is bogus. Shazam is nice, though.

Deprive

1) Superman
2) Batman
3) Wonder Woman
4) Hal Jordan GL
5) Nightwing
6) Wally Flash
7) Catwoman
8) Barry Flash
9) Shazam
10) Aquaman
11) Green Arrow
12) Swamp Thing
13) Martian Manhunter
14) Kyle Raynor GL
15) Babs Batgirl
16) John Constantine
17) Supergirl
18) Black Canary
19) Booster Gold
20) Jonah Hex
21) Starfire
22) Hawkgirl
23) Cyborg
24) Ray Palmer Atom
25) Damien Wayne

Barry's ass should have stayed dead. Kyle should be above Hal.

Batman should be number 1

Good that GotG movie has the helmet. The current comic designs are soo lackluster and Mass Effectish :\

Sblargh

Banned
This last thing somehow feels even worse than the first. Dropping a rumor to the press about the sex life of this girl because she turned you down? I mean, goddamn it. And then, again, fauxapologizing as someone put it saying it was a "dumb error", not because this kind of slut-shaming is not fucking fun in any way or form, but because he didn't knew she was the only one there?

I'll stop losing my shit over this when he starts to lose his shit over this.

frye

Catwoman should not be on a list of favorite DC superheroes. My opinion.

I like the Brubaker run with Darwyn Cooke, Cameron Stewart, Guy Davis, Javier Pullido, etc etc a lot but other than that Catwoman has never been particularly interesting in the comics themselves to me (versus the Julie Newmar and Anne Hathaway portrayals which I'm kiiinda into).

Sometimes I have to ask if I like Batman characters because of the comics or because of the 60s TV series.

Like I always really liked the Penguin, but I can't remember the last good Penguin comic I read(well, I remember that Jason Aaron one being good). I think its mostly because Burgess Meredith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom