• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

It's a fun story severely kneecapped by super subpar art towards the end. But the middle, where things are at full tilt crazy and the art is phenomenal, that stuff is well worth a read.

You should be able to follow along without it, but it did actually set up a surprising amount of stuff.

Good to hear that! Guess I'll hop on now and wait for a collected edition to be released of Battle of the Atom.

So spOck is gonna be Venom and Flash is gonna be venom with the Guardians? What about Mania, are we gonna have 3 venom's running around or something

Harley Quinn was... a bit odd, but it turned out to be pretty fun, and not completely horrendous like I thought it would based on the preview.

X-Men was pretty enoyable as well. Monet is back, aww yis!

So spOck is gonna be Venom and Flash is gonna be venom with the Guardians? What about Mania, are we gonna have 3 venom's running around or something
Hey man its called the Marvel UNIVERSE. I love all that talk last year about how they were opening up the Marvel U and kept annunciating the word "universe." So lets add a few people from New York to this whole galactic avengers team. Makes sense.

FBP is the schwayest book on the market.

Rock over London
Rock on Chicago
Beef
Its whats for dinner.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Could be he just gets it for the arc. Mania's not keeping it, if she does she'll get put on a bus to somewhere and we'll never see her again.

Today's pickups, and I haven't been to the shop in two weeks so I can't shake the feeling I missed something...

Marvel Comics
Avengers #23
Daredevil #33
Thor God of Thunder #15
X-Men #7
Young Avengers #12

DC Comics
Scooby-Doo Team-Up #1

Image Comics
Sex Criminals #3

Dark Horse Comics
Berserk vol. 37 (which I totally forgot existed!)
Clown Fatale #1
Conan the Barbarian #22

IDW Publishing
Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction #3
Samurai Jack #2

Other Publishers
Afterlife with Archie #2

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Manhattan Projects: Vol 3 is sitting next to me. When is this workday over?!?!

kswiston

So, reading Avengers 23 today, I'm convinced that the galactic war aspect of Infinity is there solely so Hickman can continue playing with those Marvel Cosmic toys. That whole storyline (as well as a good chunk of his Fantastic Four run) is basically a followup to DnA's stuff.

Messi

Today's pickups, and I haven't been to the shop in two weeks so I can't shake the feeling I missed something...

Marvel Comics
Avengers #23
Daredevil #33
Thor God of Thunder #15
X-Men #7
Young Avengers #12

DC Comics
Scooby-Doo Team-Up #1

Image Comics
Sex Criminals #3

Dark Horse Comics
Berserk vol. 37 (which I totally forgot existed!)
Clown Fatale #1
Conan the Barbarian #22

IDW Publishing
Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction #3
Samurai Jack #2

Other Publishers
Afterlife with Archie #2

Crap, I knew I missed something today. Gonna have to wait until next week now :/

I really liked Harley Quinn #0, does that make me a bad person?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Zero, best book of the week again. Don't know where Ales Kot came from, but he's got a really strong authorial voice already, and you can feel the confidence in his work even when you can see all the influences he got from Global Frequency, James Ellroy, and Grant Morrison. Got some fantastic artists to work alongside him that are right there with in the storytelling. There's a really nice page layout with him sneaking through the vents, a vertical slice on the right for when he's climbing, and a bunch of tight horizontal spaces at the bottom emphasizing how snug he is. A very nice use of negative space in the confrontation near the end. Bellaire is great as well, the icy blue corridors giving way to the bright red bathrooms, the yellow and red panels offsetting each other and flowing really nicely. Its a very well-crafted comic.

God damn, Zero just continues blow me away. What a freaking amazing book.

I'm glad others are enjoying it. I think I posted after reading the first issue but no one else was discussing it. I can't wait to read issue #3.

Messi

Does anyone here read Birds of Prey? I really like Batgirl and was just wondering if its worth picking up the trades.

Does anyone here read Birds of Prey? I really like Batgirl and was just wondering if its worth picking up the trades.

Birds of Prey is OK. It's nothing special but it isn't offensive either. It has, however, struggled under a couple different writers so it doesn't really have a direction. I wouldn't go in just for Batgirl.

Messi

Birds of Prey is OK. It's nothing special but it isn't offensive either. It has, however, struggled under a couple different writers so it doesn't really have a direction. I wouldn't go in just for Batgirl.

Damn, if I wanted to read more Batgirl pre new 52 what would be the best thing to read.

-

I think I am going to start reading Sandman this week. Found an issue of Overture in the store today, the awesome J H Williams cover. Never read Sandman either so I have have no clue what its about.

kswiston

Damn, if I wanted to read more Batgirl pre new 52 what would be the best thing to read.

I think I am going to start reading Sandman this week. Found an issue of Overture in the store today, the awesome J H Williams cover. Never read Sandman either so I have have no clue what its about.

Sandman is about stories. Fairy tales, historical tales, mythology, and nightmares. It's a little bit of everything.

X-Men #7
Fucking Karima Shapandar is a human again. How fucking pointless is that? Wood what the fuck, man. Omega Sentinel was such a bad bitch. But the new Lady Deathstrike is fucking awesome.

Nudull

Banned
I was a bit underwhelmed by Harley Quinn #0. I knew that this was going to be "Deadpool-lite" going in, and while I do appreciate the suicide scene being removed and seeing the different artstyles were very fun, it was pretty hit or miss. Still, a self-jabbing book like this under the current DC is quite the miracle, and I'm still willing to give it a chance.

A Voice in the Dark #1 sucked me in pretty quickly, and had a very strong start. Funny enough, I usually don't care for Top Cow's stuff, but this looks like a gem in the making for me.

Afterlife with Archie continues to be really creepy and fun (and more than a bit icky in the beginning of issue 2 :/). Although,
I really hope they didn't just introduce Nancy and Ginger's relationship, only to kill them off in that same scene, because that would be gross

Ben 10 #1 was...okay. It's more simplistic than I expected, but not straight-up terrible. Might give it another issue or two.

Part 1 of The Wake ended and I am super hyped for what comes next. Shit just got real in the realest way possible.

I'll be honest. I was thinking of dropping the book before this issue.
Then the story completely leaves the realm of small-scale... And that total transformation the main character undergoes at the end of the issue was rad as fuck

Just read Three #1, really glad I picked it up. Ryan Kelly is doing some amazing work here and Gillen's postscript shows he put a lot of work into making this as accurate as possible. I'll save the next issue for later.

A Voice in the Dark #1 sucked me in pretty quickly, and had a very strong start. Funny enough, I usually don't care for Top Cow's stuff, but this looks like a gem in the making for me.

Yeah, I liked this quite a bit! And it was meaty at 36 pages. I appreciate these extra-sized premiere issues. And it's funny, I don't often like black humor unless it's just the right temperature and this managed to find that range for me.
Some of those imagined murders were pretty funny
. Not to say that this is a comedy book or anything. This is dark, character study stuff dealing with murder and suicide and post-secondary education (scream!). And gays. There are also those pesky gays, of course, flaunting themselves all over my picture books again. But there is a nod to the 90's Christian Slater movie Pump Up the Volume! That was rather delightful. The protagonist hosts a call-in college radio talk show, if you're wondering how that fits in.

I'm glad this exists and I'm excited for the next issue.

Edit: I bolded what I meant to spoiler tag. Pretty sweeeeet.

Anyone read Superior Spider-Man annual #1? The gloves arereally starting to come off wit h Superior Spider-Man.

It's almost starting to feel like the 90s edginess that was brought to comics like Azrael in Batman.

diaspora

Anyone read Superior Spider-Man annual #1? The gloves arereally starting to come off wit h Superior Spider-Man.

It's almost starting to feel like the 90s edginess that was brought to comics like Azrael in Batman.

I did. This entire run feels like an extended "What if?". It's actually much more enjoyable when I treat it as if it's a self-contained story where SpOck is a thing, and all marvel heroes are stupid.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Odds are Knightfall was an inspiration for this arc.

Just read Three #1, really glad I picked it up. Ryan Kelly is doing some amazing work here and Gillen's postscript shows he put a lot of work into making this as accurate as possible. I'll save the next issue for later.
Glad we got another on this train. Best new Image book of October. Doesnt get talked about enough. The title for November? Goingto be much harder.....

The ultimate optimist Stargirl will be the undoing of the Crime Syndicate.

I don't need to read the rest of my comics for the week to know that The Wake will probably be my book of the week. Each issue, Snyder beautifully crafted a world where one tiny thing was happening and left you guessing where it was going to go and this issue he pulled the curtains to unveil what could be an all out fantastic story. It went from a solid story with intrigue to a book where I absolutely can not wait til the next issue.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't need to read the rest of my comics for the week to know that The Wake will probably be my book of the week. Each issue, Snyder beautifully crafted a world where one tiny thing was happening and left you guessing where it was going to go and this issue he pulled the curtains to unveil what could be an all out fantastic story. It went from a solid story with intrigue to a book where I absolutely can not wait til the next issue.

I honestly felt it has been one of his weaker books up until this point, it's all been set up so far.

If you feel that way now this month will blow your goddamn mind.

JEKKI

there's a Sandman art show this weekend at Gallery Nucleus!!

I'm preparing by reading thru the 2nd trade: Doll's House,

2 issues in and it's real interesting!!

also I finished reading thru the first 9 issues of my Animal Man omnibus...

also really good!!

I love good comics!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So after the fact, is Battle of the Atom worth reading or am I safe to skip ahead to the latest X-Men issue?

Meanwhile, I'm having quite fun with the Journey into Mystery collection.

I really enjoyed it. Ben is right and the last issue falls a bit flat with some crappy art, but the series itself is very fun with the constant oneupmanship of the teams coming in. It's all very silly and worth a read I think.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

-

Ah dude, stop buying C-grade cape books and get on Sandman immediately! It's time to start raising the bar of what 'good' means to you now.

Didn't read it yet but that's to be expected, really. I love SpOck but I sure don't want him running around "forever". This story needs to get an ending.

Also, lol at that preview for SSM #24. Confusing much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom