• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
INFINITY! I'm curious how the ending is going to play out... yes, the Builders are defeated and the last incursion was turned back...but those are still problems that exist. Incursions are still going to happen, nothing has been done to stop them. And the fact that the builders were coming because of a space/time rift still hasn't been dealt with. There are huge unresolved issues.

Also, no Hyperion in any of the previews...wonder what that means.

Hyperion has been weirdly MIA throughout the entire event.

Nudull

Banned
Anyone in here read stuff by Terry Moore? Would you recommend Strangers in Paradise? Echo? Rachel Rising?

EDIT: What about The Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan?

Brian K. Vaughn's Runaways is among my favorite comics ever, so yeah, definitely read it.

I haven't read anything by Terry Moore as of yet, but I really want to read Strangers in Paradise and Rachel Rising.

That is weird because I remember reading Hickman saying how he had some good plans for Hyperion.

can't imagine what they were. I didn't read any of the side stories, but hyperion literally did nothing, said nothing, and basically didn't appear at all during the Avengers OR infinity main storylines. New Avengers was earth based so him not appearing there makes sense, at least.

There were even a few scenes where it would have been crazy easy or obvious to use him, and they used Gladiator instead.

kswiston

can't imagine what they were. I didn't read any of the side stories, but hyperion literally did nothing, said nothing, and basically didn't appear at all during the Avengers OR infinity main storylines. New Avengers was earth based so him not appearing there makes sense, at least.

There were even a few scenes where it would have been crazy easy or obvious to use him, and they used Gladiator instead.

Several of the heavy hitters in Infinity seemed to have been held back from their normal power levels.

Considering the fact that Black Panther took him in hand-to-hand combat, Black Dwarf should have lasted 1 second against Gladiator. At least Ronan got a good scene out of the deal

Parch

When it was recommended to me I had my doubts, but Strangers in Paradise was really great. A real nice change and a funny and charming book. Probably the best character development I've ever read in comics. Francine and Katchoo are just adorable.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Several of the heavy hitters in Infinity seemed to have been held back from their normal power levels.

Considering the fact that Black Panther took him in hand-to-hand combat, Black Dwarf should have lasted 1 second against Gladiator. At least Ronan got a good scene out of the deal

Black Bolt got nerfed. :(

I thought it was really obvious what Hickman was trying to convey in that scene,
the leaders of Galactic Empires now have the Avengers back.

I'll agree that Hyperion isn't getting much screen time in this event but I believe Hickman has big plans for those new avengers (Cap Universe, Smasher, Hyperion, New Universe guys), there is still many subplots in play.

Sblargh

Banned
Anyone in here read stuff by Terry Moore? Would you recommend Strangers in Paradise? Echo? Rachel Rising?

EDIT: What about The Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan?

I used to be a huge fun of Strangers in Paradise, but now I think I like the idea of it (an ongoing comic about two girls living life) than the actual content. I think the first couple of arcs are very good as in they are very down to earth, just characters talking to each other, but then it starts with sordid pasts and conspiracies and it loses me.

Echo is just all right, I guess.

I love Runaways, would recommend always.
-
Also, I agree with Thai; Infinity solved nothing of the core problems with the Marvel universe. Time still broken (Original X-men can't even go back); Earth basically still to blame; Incursions still happening. But hey, those are cool issues to have, so it's ok to keep them around if it means more crazy stuff. I like that time travel rules being broken means anything goes. This is your chance to undo deals with the devil marvel! *wink wink* and by *wink wink* I mean, bring Spiderman's marrriage back.

There are so many arguments over on CBR about that scene, lol.

Also (from NA#12 preview): http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/preview/0/0/1/NEWAVN2013012-int-LR2-7-8b9fa.jpg

"Take this pimp hand and make it strong, lord!"

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just not a fan of Thanos. It is never fun seeing a favorite character getting taken out so easily. Especially after the setup at the end of the last issue.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
drop Avengers. Shit is just wheel spinning with little to no character development (of core Avengers at least) but EPIC THINGS HAPPENING with 0 stakes.

New Avengers is at least Hickman continuing his FF run with Reed, T'challa, and Blackbolt characterisations.

drop Avengers. Shit is just wheel spinning with little to no character development (of core Avengers at least) but EPIC THINGS HAPPENING with 0 stakes.

New Avengers is at least Hickman continuing his FF run with Reed, T'challa, and Blackbolt characterisations.

I disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Avengers. Usually Hickman uses every third (or is it fourth?) issue to highlight the smaller teams, which has plenty of character moments. I will grant that right now, due to Infinity, that is not happening. But that is to be expected. I'd wait until after Infinity to judge.

8bit

Knows the Score
Warren Ellis - Moon Knight : http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/warren-ellis-moon-knight-all-new-marvel-now/#/0

moon_knight_3.jpg

Your thoughts? I always wanted to read it but I just find Steve Dillon's work such a turn of. I understand he is a very well liked popular artist but he's just not for me at all. Perhaps not having read it will pay off if the tv series ends up any good.

Neat in a lot of parts isn't it? The cringeworthy stuff hurts it, honestly, but I came away from it with a lot of really memorable stuff.

Started off really strong kinda faltered towards the end of the middle and finished strongly. The tie-ins and one-shots were great as well. Dillion's art really fits the tone of the whole series for me at least his art gels well with material like this story more than his superhero work.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Started off really strong kinda faltered towards the end of the middle and finished strongly. The tie-ins and one-shots were great as well. Dillion's art really fits the tone of the whole series for me at least his art gels well with material like this story more than his superhero work.

I really loved the desert stuff around 2/3rds of the way through. I don't know why, but I really REALLY loved that part.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dillion's art really fits the tone of the whole series for me at least his art gels well with material like this story more than his superhero work.

His art totally works for Preacher (and Punisher Max for the most part), but that guy is so shit at faces it's unbelievable. There's also very little flair and just a general lack of style to his stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like an outlier that I hated Arseface, and wished he had never been in the book period.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I feel like an outlier that I hated Arseface, and wished he had never been in the book period.

Nah, son. That was a one-note joke that got crazy out of hand in the book. There are parts of Preacher that I think flat-out stink, and that's one of them.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
When the home planet is full of people who talk like spider-man your post will be quoted again.

The symbiote has retained Parker's consciousness and uploaded it to the central symbiote on its home planet. Coming 2014. When everyone is Parker no one is.

Eldren

Ellis, Shalvey and Bellaire on Moon Knight sounds amazing. Great writer, great art team, great concept ("weird crime" just sounds so good.) Looking forward to that one. I know Ellis has been working on a few things - he's been on Tumblr teasing "Secret Projects" for a month or two - including his collaboration with Kelly Sue DeConnick and now this. Wonder what else he has up his sleeves.

Today's random moment:

You don't spit ice-spittle on the god of Thunder. You just don't.

Also, the concept for Moon Knight has me intrigued. If "weird crime" is what I think it is then that's something you don't see enough of in today's comics.

Veelk

Banned
I just read the Harley issue.

Is that indictative of Amanda Conner's overall writing quality? Because if so, I will order that power girl series she did that i heard so much about immediately.

Drayco21

That is one dapper looking Moon Knight. Can't wait for some weird crime, Moon Knight is usually fun and Ellis is a great author. Marvel's really hitting it out of the park lately.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I oddly feel that Green Lantern is really humming along well right now.

Lights out was probably the best arc since Blackest Night and so far the fallout has been pretty good too.

I assumed I would be dropping 2 of the 3 books after the creative change, but so far I'm digging all 3. Glad to see the 3 books looks like they are going to somewhat get their own identity.

Also, very glad that guy got relegated to the Reds so I can ignore both of them.

Binabik15

First time I can comment about a comic in a thread like this (besides my impressions of God Butcher and the Straczynski Thor).

So, the new Thor with his task force is pretty damn boring.

Also reading The Last Unicorn, so pretty. Anything else good with a similiar artstyle? Bright, saturatred colours look so good on a high res tablet.

Sblargh

Banned
Moving on my collection of Marvel Omnibus, I have reached the Fantastic Four (yeah, not going chronologically) and goddamn, FF #1 by Lee/Kirby is some excellent piece of comic.

Reading a bunch of 60s Marvel I gone used to stuff going from dated (X-Men), weird and really not that good (Iron Man) and all kinds of everything in between (Captain America), but Fantastic Four #1 is completely legit. It's a lesson on comic book storytelling. There's so much on those pages; there's horror, trippy sci-fi space thing, angry protragonists, even the mole man is actually kind of a sympathetic antagonist for this first issue.

There's no overhyping Fantastic Four #1, great piece of fine sci-fi comic book storytelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom