• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

Brian K. Vaughn's Runaways is among my favorite comics ever, so yeah, definitely read it.

I haven't read anything by Terry Moore as of yet, but I really want to read Strangers in Paradise and Rachel Rising.

Yea, all of that! Strangers in Paradise is so good.

I used to be a huge fun of Strangers in Paradise, but now I think I like the idea of it (an ongoing comic about two girls living life) than the actual content. I think the first couple of arcs are very good as in they are very down to earth, just characters talking to each other, but then it starts with sordid pasts and conspiracies and it loses me.

Echo is just all right, I guess.

I love Runaways, would recommend always.

My wallet may be unhappy with me right now but thank you so much guys! I <3 <3 <3 ComicsGAF!

Vibranium

Banned
Oh man, Moon Night is really tempting me too, I'll pick that one up as well dammit.

But where's my Iron Fist and Winter Soldier solos Marvel? If Elektra gets one, I think Bucky deserves a second shot other than a (admittedly fun-sounding) mini.

ElNarez

Banned
I'm too busy to look for something Chris Sims has been wrong about so I can't do your thing of the exact same post for different but Chris Sims is wrong about stuff you guys

Fin Fang Foom sighting?

1385153804.jpg
1385153806.jpg
1385153817.jpg
Source (CBR)

Sadly, it looks like I won't be there on Day One for the Marvel Universe's new beginning, as I'll have to work all day Wednesday to cover for vacationing coworkers. But I am so there on Friday.

Comics allaince bringing the heat. I have to agree all the Dc pulls i have a dsitinct style(batman, wonder woman, green arrow) but a large majority of the line is jim lee dirivatives it seems

http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-house-style-art-marvel/

Yeah when I read Harley Quinn #0 I was like WTF? I thought each page was supposed to have a different artist but they were all just the same.

Also, sometimes I get confused which book I am reading and have to go look at the cover to remind myself.

Yeah when I read Harley Quinn #0 I was like WTF? I thought each page was supposed to have a different artist but they were all just the same.

Also, sometimes I get confused which book I am reading and have to go look at the cover to remind myself.

it was more a commenatry on the art itself. mot of it is boring, and dry. While marvel has a dirverse set of artist on the book that gives them an idenity. DC can interchange artist on most fo their books but i dont think you vould replace Aja on hawkeye or Capullo on batman for instance.

David brothers does a good job explaining it:http://4thletter.net/2012/02/thats-a-one-hot-team-every-ten-issues-average/

Eldren

I love that David Brothers piece. The actual content is spot-on and it's something I've definitely noticed more since I've got more into comics. More importantly, the comments are amazing. Stephen Wacker shows up and they get into a huge debate.

it was more a commenatry on the art itself. mot of it is boring, and dry. While marvel has a dirverse set of artist on the book that gives them an idenity. DC can interchange artist on most fo their books but i dont think you vould replace Aja on hawkeye or Capullo on batman for instance.

David brothers does a good job explaining it:http://4thletter.net/2012/02/thats-a-one-hot-team-every-ten-issues-average/

I guess I just don't understand the argument being made. Art is a subjective thing for the most part with some elements that can be judged objectively. If one person likes a style another may not.

They seem to be suggesting that each title needs to, what, look nothing at all like anything else because?

What makes "boring art"?

Boring might be the wrong word, generic might be the right one. Synder/capullo batman is a diffrecnt comic than Synder/John artist.

Grant morsison batman had some terrible art.( that internet issue was sooooooo bad)

i think that Dc enforeces more a house style than marvel does. I think marvels more diverse stable artist really help sell their line better

tim1138

God I know. When I was reading Trinity War I couldn't tell the difference between Ivan Reis, Doug Mahnke, or Mikel Janin! Thank goodness Capullo or Gleason weren't involved or I dunno what I would have done!

frye

I love that David Brothers piece. The actual content is spot-on and it's something I've definitely noticed more since I've got more into comics. More importantly, the comments are amazing. Stephen Wacker shows up and they get into a huge debate.

That was my first time seeing Wacker go nuts online. He went through something like three 4thletter comment threads, two Savage Critics posts, and I think twitter being a complete dickwad over this

Is there a general consensus Vertigo tier list? Any series to absolutely avoid?

tiers from my ass..

Sandman/ Death/ Transmetropolitan/ Hellblazer/ Lucifer

Fables/ 100 Bullets/ Scalped/ Y The Last Man/ Preacher

Books of Magic/

I want to read Invisibles. and Unwritten..American Vampire too. :/
Gotta finish up Morrison Animal Man and Moore Swamp thing too if those count...they're really good too

nevermind, I just made a list of awesome

tim1138

tiers from my ass..

Sandman/ Death/ Transmetropolitan/ Hellblazer/ Lucifer

Fables/ 100 Bullets/ Scalped/ Y The Last Man/ Preacher

Books of Magic/

I want to read Invisibles. and Unwritten..American Vampire too. :/
Gotta finish up Morrison Animal Man and Moore Swamp thing too if those count...they're really good too

nevermind, I just made a list of awesome

You forgot Unknown Soldier and Morrison's Animal Man.

Eldren

That was my first time seeing Wacker go nuts online. He went through something like three 4thletter comment threads, two Savage Critics posts, and I think twitter being a complete dickwad over this

That whole situation was a mess. He came across so poorly in that comments thread. "Nice website, by the way", I mean what is that.

vocab

Hellblazer sounds interesting, but the amount of writers seems crazy. Is there gap in quality between writers? Does most of it stand alone, or follow some sort of continuity?

Thanks for some suggestions. I'm already on the sandman train, and I read an issue of transmetropolitan, and I'm liking it. I'm a huge cyberpunk enthusiast so this is great stuff for me.

You forgot Unknown Soldier and Morrison's Animal Man.

I probably forgot a lot! I'm in the middle of Animal Man and I've never read Unknown Soldier. I wish DC had a sub thing like Marvel, I'd tear through all kinds of stuff.

Hellblazer sounds interesting, but the amount of writers seems crazy. Is there gap in quality between writers? Does most of it stand alone, or follow some sort of continuity?

Thanks for some suggestions. I'm already on the sandman train, and I read an issue of transmetropolitan, and I'm liking it. I'm a huge cyberpunk enthusiast so this is great stuff for me.

I haven't read all of Hellblazer only pieces from a friend I used to have but I've been buying the trades they've been re releasing and still liking it.

That whole situation was a mess. He came across so poorly in that comments thread. "Nice website, by the way", I mean what is that.

ahahahaha, what a dick. fuck him. Seems like the type of dude who blames you for reading into something as a way to deflect criticism

tim1138

I probably forgot a lot! I'm in the middle of Animal Man and I've never read Unknown Soldier. I wish DC had a sub thing like Marvel, I'd tear through all kinds of stuff.

I just got into Unknown Soldier recently myself, thanks to doniewhalberg, and it's top tier stuff. When you finish Animal Man post your impression, I always like to see what other people think about it.

BearChair

How do you guys keep track of interesting European comics coming to the US?

I went through a big phase of reading French and Belgium comics a few years ago and would like to see what has come out recently, but I have no idea how to even start.

Even ideas?

frye

How do you guys keep track of interesting European comics coming to the US?

I went through a big phase of reading French and Belgium comics a few years ago and would like to see what has come out recently, but I have no idea how to even start.

Even ideas?

Looking back through Joe McCulloch's weekly column over at TCJ.com might be useful. He goes through a ton of comics, but I bet he'll have listed stuff you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom