• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain N

Totally random question, but Wolverine taking on the name Logan. What book (s) does it give the back story to why he uses it?

Don't tell me Rogue bites it...Spike pls...

SPIKE PLS
I'll not say a word unless it's requested via PM, and everyone else should do the same.

Totally random question, but Wolverine taking on the name Logan. What book (s) does it give the back story to why he uses it?
Origin is probably the closest thing to an explanation you'll find, but basically it's this:
his real name is James Howlett, but his biological father had the last name of Logan. After James avenged his false father by killing his real father and his mother committed suicide, Rose took the traumatized James and escaped the Howlett Estate for the Canadian frontier. When they signed up with a mining company, she gave his name as James Logan, and it's stuck with him.

Getting a lot of PM requests, so...

I'm going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that you are NOT to discuss specifics of the Uncanny Avengers #14 spoilers, or any spoilers of leaked comics in this thread until Wednesday, and then to use spoiler tags when you do.

KePoW

Banned
Getting a lot of PM requests, so...

I'm going to take this opportunity to remind everyone that you are NOT to discuss specifics of the Uncanny Avengers #14 spoilers, or any spoilers of leaked comics in this thread until Wednesday, and then to use spoiler tags when you do.

Thanks, I really hate spoilers

Alan Moore has such shitty opinions. Why does he keep talking about something he has no clue over and has shown absolutely no interest in learning about? He should stick to writing mediocre comics and shitty music. Moore's golden age has long been over.

I've been thinking about going that route... Is the money you save an acceptable trade-off for having to wait a week to discuss everything? It seems like a hard call to me.

You got to hold off to the end of the month to really save money, the only thing it's really done for me is add more to my pull list. Also, you have to know what you want two month in advance, which isn't that bad. Give it a trial run, packaging is awesome.

You got to hold off to the end of the month to really save money, the only thing it's really done for me is add more to my pull list. Also, you have to know what you want two month in advance, which isn't that bad. Give it a trial run, packaging is awesome.

Yeah, I'm usually good about knowing what I want far in advance. Do they have a pull-list option? Because it would be tedious if I had to add everything individually for each month. As for the pacakaging, I order from InStockTrades pretty frequently, so I know they do very well with packaging their shipments.

Owzers

that full month wait is only really brutal for spoilers, somewhat discussion but a month isn't too far behind to still feel relevant posting opinions.

Could be worse, I could be trades-gaf. There is a pull list option but i haven't used it for years, i take the tedious approach but i like adding each book individually. Last time i used the pull list function a year ago it added variants of my pull books as well, maybe they fixed it. DCBS sometimes lets you add books to your order even if you are past the deadline presuming they have them/can still order them, but dropping books is hard so sometimes you order too many issues of a book you'd rather drop.

the savings are great though, 2.39 for a marvel book including a digital code. As long as you buy more than 15 books a month the price is hard to beat even including once a month shipping.

MartyStu

Uncanny Avengers 14

Spoiler. Spoiler. Spoiler. Spoilllller!!!!

Spoiler. Spoiler...

No freakouts, just clarity. Some recent Marvel decisions make more sense. I think. Hmm. Or maybe less...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does marvel unlimited have an app that works on Kindle Fire ? It's DC'ed on my nook hd and i can't find any videos of it working through google.

the great ipad air vs kindle hdx 8.9 debate begins.

I tested again on my HD+ just now and it works for me. Are you running your Nook stock? Why?

Tizoc

In Batman RiP the Mayor mentions a 'Detective' who investigated the murder of the Waynes, and what is one the timelines that Bruce ends up in during 'Return of Bruce Wayne'?
I miss Morrison's Batman =/

Owzers

I tested again on my HD+ just now and it works for me. Are you running your Nook stock? Why?

i am running nook stock...probably because i don't like modifying stuff because if i run into problems i don't know enough to fix them. Right now the marvel app on the google play store works, but the comics are only taking up 75% of the screen vertically.

ElNarez

Banned

man alan, why do you have to do a thing, why is it that in your shitty fucking mind people stop having imaginations when they turn 13, dude, it's fucking annoying because you're bringing up a legit problem but by being a shit about it everyone will defend the way business is run fuck dude, why do you even say things you've run out of things to say when you thought you could just put a fucking gollywog in a funnybook without anyone noticing man fuck you

man alan, why do you have to do a thing, why is it that in your shitty fucking mind people stop having imaginations when they turn 13, dude, it's fucking annoying because you're bringing up a legit problem but by being a shit about it everyone will defend the way business is run fuck dude, why do you even say things you've run out of things to say when you thought you could just put a fucking gollywog in a funnybook without anyone noticing man fuck you

Moore is just being Moore. he's always been a cranky fuck who hates the genre, and any film adaptations of his work as well.

superhero films taking off and appealing to the public isn't new at all. Moore wrote watchmen in 1987. By then we'd already HAD Superman (1978), Superman II (1980), Superman III (1983) and Superman IV launched in 1987. (The less is said about supergirl [1984] the better)

Two years after that in 1989 we had burton's "Batman".

Moore is full of shit, knows it, and just likes to complain against "popular thing in the headlines."

Tizoc

"New" daredevil team.

Wrestling_yes.gif

Waid STILL on Daredevil puts a smile on my face, wonder if there'll be a new direction they're taking Matt on?

Garth Ennis Dynamite Comics sale, including Red Team, Battlefields, Dan Dare, Jennifer Blood, and volume 1 of The Boys. Might pick up some Battlefields because it's apparently incredible stuff. I've only read the first volume of The Boys, but I liked it.

Also some free DC Digital First #1s, like Adventures of Superman, Legends of the Dark Knight, Batman 66, Smallville, etc.

yeah there are points to be made like the graphic novel one and the fact that superheroes dominate but the rest is... yeah.

tim1138

It seems like when a Marvel character moves west they end up in San Fran: Eddie Brock/Venom, the X-Men, now Daredevil. Were the West Coast Avengers in SF as well?

KePoW

Banned
i am running nook stock...probably because i don't like modifying stuff because if i run into problems i don't know enough to fix them. Right now the marvel app on the google play store works, but the comics are only taking up 75% of the screen vertically.

That's because the Marvel Unlimited reading app sucks balls (at least on Android). That's what it does on my full ASUS 10" tablet too.

It's really unfortunate, because Unlimited is a great deal. But both their web browser reading interface and the Android app are just plain bad. They need to get some better programmers or something.

Garth Ennis Dynamite Comics sale, including Red Team, Battlefields, Dan Dare, Jennifer Blood, and volume 1 of The Boys. Might pick up some Battlefields because it's apparently incredible stuff. I've only read the first volume of The Boys, but I liked it.

Jennifer Blood ends after issue #6 even if there are issues after it. Trust me.

yeah there are points to be made like the graphic novel one and the fact that superheroes dominate but the rest is... yeah.

Are there points to be made? Why is Superheroes dominating a bad thing? Isn't that just the market proving itself true? People can rage against the machine all they want and cry out for their indie darlings, but if the bulk of sales go the way of capes it's probably because that is what they want.

Someone PM me, please!

Spoil me plx (will send a pm)

Ditto! :3

Someone hook me up with them Uncanny Avengers spoilers, mang.
Sent. Again, no discussion of specifics until tomorrow and remember to use spoiler tags.

EDIT: Also, I have only received ONE private message about the best comics of November for the new "Champions" segment of the OT. So congrats, lone voter, your books are the clear frontrunners for the month's best.

Are there points to be made? Why is Superheroes dominating a bad thing? Isn't that just the market proving itself true? People can rage against the machine all they want and cry out for their indie darlings, but if the bulk of sales go the way of capes it's probably because that is what they want.
Some variety would be nice, is all. There are other genres aside from the standard capes, and probably to the public eye, comics = capes. People defend lack of branching out from what sells, but I feel like the industry is weak enough to where it doesn't have to always cater to the same demographic, and is probably weaker for it. Also people continue to buy shit because of characters and brands and all that shit. Don't think it really means much.

It's kinda whatever to me, but like I tells, points n shit. even if Moore is a cranky old dude.

KePoW

Banned
Some variety would be nice, is all. There are other genres aside from the standard capes, and probably to the public eye, comics = capes. People defend lack of branching out from what sells, but I feel like the industry is weak enough to where it doesn't have to always cater to the same demographic, and is probably weaker for it. Also people continue to buy shit because of characters and brands and all that shit. Don't think it really means much.

From what I can tell, there are tons of indie and creator-owned comics that are not typical superhero stuff?

Or are you saying it has to be Marvel/DC who do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom