• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone read "Key of Z" ?

It's by Claudio Sanchez the lead singer/guitar of Coheed and Cambria (Awesome band)

The art looks pretty cool i was thinking about checking it out some time.

Acid08

Banned
Oh we're posting redo's of pages? On it!

Easily my favorite
JEEEEEEAAAAAAN always makes me laugh :lol
Chew Best comic being published is a today's comxology sale

http://www.comixology.com/Chew-Sale/comics-collection/1804

99 cent singles or all 6 trades for 30 bucks. amazing deal
Wow! Hey everyone, have you ever wanted to read the undisputed Best Comic but your financial obligations to garbage comics prevented you from having enough money for both? Well with this sale you can keep shamefully buying Catwoman AND get the entire run of Best Comic Alive! Call now and place your order TODAY!

Seriously, Chew is fucking awesome. I'm still buying trades though, I believe i've read the first 4.

From what I can tell, there are tons of indie and creator-owned comics that are not typical superhero stuff?

Or are you saying it has to be Marvel/DC who do it?
I'm talking about Marvel/DC specifically. I know there's a shitload of good indie shit.

So brahs what new Marvel book do you think has the potential to be the new Morbius? I think it could be either the new Mexican Ghostrider or Fantastic Four.

Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character and I've come to realize he doesn't have nearly enough representation on my bookshelves. All I have is the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1. (which is awesome btw). Anyone have any recommendations for recent Spidey hardcovers that are worth owning?

I was hoping for a best of compilation or two and I can't find anything. A compilation of a top tier recent run or two will suffice.

Thanks

ElNarez

Banned
yeah there are points to be made like the graphic novel one and the fact that superheroes dominate but the rest is... yeah.

I wasn't even talking about that, which is totally valid, but like, the idea that superhero comics are trying way too fucking hard to be the glummest thing that ever glummed, like, oh, look, they're fucking mutilating children and raping and murdering and murder-raping to death and we're fucking losing sight of what those characters and the ideas they represent are supposed to be because Industry People don't want people to write good, they want what sells to the few die-hards that were there since forever and would buy fucking anything as long as it had shades of your regular white male power fantasy, and apparently Doctor Light being a rape addict sold really fucking well, so fuck you that's all you're getting when there should be a fucking push to make things more kid-, woman- and pretty much everyone-friendly is something Moore was getting at and which will be lost to the annals of "that crazy shit he says because DC made fucking Watchmen prequels"

Great week to be a fan of science fiction comic!

Those beauties were dispatched to me earlier today:
splitter-orbital-aufzeich-650.jpg

splitter-uwt-1-650.jpg

AND BLACK SCIENCE + THE FINAL INFINITY ISSUE!

ElNarez

Banned
So brahs what new Marvel book do you think has the potential to be the new Morbius? I think it could be either the new Mexican Ghostrider or Fantastic Four.

Felipe Smith is too much of an unknown quantity, so I can't say for sure, but one book I'm thinking might end up disappointing is the Edmonson/Noto Black Widow book. Edmonson has been nothing but boring in his Corporate Cape books, and Noto, well, he's Noto. That kinda sorta sounds like something that may be as disappointing as "Morbius, from the guy who made Glory pretty fucking cool."

Yeah, Edmonson's a toss up. I read Grifter, bro, don't think i've forgotten.
Ah ok, so the next question is why do you feel like Marvel/DC need to do that stuff?
I don't think they need to. I'd just like them to. They can probably do ok by doing the same things forever, although I think that saying "the market said so" is kinda worthless considering the low bar for what good sales are for comics these days.
I wasn't even talking about that, which is totally valid, but like, the idea that superhero comics are trying way too fucking hard to be the glummest thing that ever glummed, like, oh, look, they're fucking mutilating children and raping and murdering and murder-raping to death and we're fucking losing sight of what those characters and the ideas they represent are supposed to be because Industry People don't want people to write good, they want what sells to the few die-hards that were there since forever and would buy fucking anything as long as it had shades of your regular white male power fantasy, and apparently Doctor Light being a rape addict sold really fucking well, so fuck you that's all you're getting when there should be a fucking push to make things more kid-, woman- and pretty much everyone-friendly is something Moore was getting at and which will be lost to the annals of "that crazy shit he says because DC made fucking Watchmen prequels"
Ah, yeah, for sure. I was trying to get at some of that. They cater to the same audience all the time.

Felipe Smith is too much of an unknown quantity, so I can't say for sure, but one book I'm thinking might end up disappointing is the Edmonson/Noto Black Widow book. Edmonson has been nothing but boring in his Corporate Cape books, and Noto, well, he's Noto. That kinda sorta sounds like something that may be as disappointing as "Morbius, from the guy who made Glory pretty fucking cool."

Tradd Moore will make Ghost Rider bigger than even when Aaron was writing.

That new FF is my DOA pick.

Yeah, Edmonson's a toss up. I read Grifter, bro, don't think i've forgotten.

I don't think they need to. I'd just like them to. They can probably do ok by doing the same things forever, although I think that saying "the market said so" is kinda worthless considering the low bar for what good sales are for comics these days.

Ah, yeah, for sure. I was trying to get at some of that. They cater to the same audience all the time.
Edmonson wrote Grifter? Oh boy, first ook I ever dropped.

The FF to me, really need a back to basics approach. So much tension is lost with all these alternate dimension, parallel dimensions, alternate futures, alternate parrallel possible future dimensions, technobbable. The stakes just dont exist when they are incomprehensible. And then what you get is some half baked Seventh Heaven Family drama. Franklin needs to be written out.

The FF to me, really need a back to basics approach. So much tension is lost with all these alternate dimension, parallel dimensions, alternate futures, alternate parrallel possible future dimensions, technobbable. The stakes just dont exist when they are incomprehensible. And then what you get is some half baked Seventh Heaven Family drama. Franklin needs to be written out.

lol never

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Edmonson wrote Grifter? Oh boy, first ook I ever dropped.

franklin is the last of the fantastic fours problems.

Sblargh

Banned
The problem of the fantastic four is that you need a writer who can write a super scientist, an angry teenager, a 1950s dock worker and a wife/mom who somehow isn't sexist. At the same time. Now, plus, a little boy whose power is imagination and a ultra scientist little girl. Plus a 70-year mythology and time travel, alternate dimensions, technobabble, etc.; because it isn't Fantastic Four without some dose of those. Heck, you even need to know how to fit magic in there in order to write a good Dr. Doom.

I'd argue it is the most complex superhero comic book one could be writing for the big 2. People like Hickman, Waid and Byrne who thrive in this kind of geek tour-de-force is what makes it the greatest comic magazine; I don't know what Matt "I'm really good at writing personal stories about one person's really odd life" Fraction was assigned to it.

I'm a fan of Matt Fraction, but wrong man for this job he is.

/rant

Vibranium

Banned
I'm dropping money bombs on Chew for Comixology, time to read through and see how awesome it is.

Also, I read Edmonson's Punisher MAX story in a bookstore and I thought it was awesome. I think he'll do fantastic in a new setting with Mitch Gerrad's sweet-looking artwork. Black Widow could be a toss-up though.

Parch

For a while there I thought Marvel was going to try more non-superhero with their Icon imprint, but that's been a pretty half-hearted effort.

DC's success with their "dark" and "edge" comics have been mediocre, and it sure seems like the Vertigo imprint is on the way out.

The big 2 look like they don't care and don't want to try and compete with indie companies because they keep dominating the market with the superhero fast food. Perhaps part of that has to do with wanting to continue the heavy handed editorial. They're not willing to provide the same creator-owned freedom and since the cash keeps flowing, their focus will continue to be on superhero.

I'm fine with that. Non-superhero appears to be popular and on the rise with the indie companies. DC and Marvel can do their thing with the superhero stuff, and the indie companies can continue to improve the creator-owned market.
There are options for creators, and fans.

Ephidel

Uh. That's volume 1 AND 2 lol.

So the answer is "Heavens yes" I guess?
Yeah, but the current Hawkeye series doesn't even have four volumes out yet (I think the third is available for preorder?), so that can't be the enquiry Kikarian is making.

Alternatively though, the current series is the fourth 'volume' overall (if you take 'volume' to mean 'fourth ongoing series called Hawkeye, excluding several miniseries with variously appellated names -- which wiki and databases and such seem to).
The assumption then becomes that their query is "Do I need to read Hawkeye 'volume one' from 1983 (collected in a trade in '88) or can I just start here with Fraction's run?", to which TetraxShards' answer is very, very right :)
Is there a story about this? All a google search picks up is his and Lemire's story in Ghosts...
I assume it's this - http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11...ver-evil-and-creator-owned-vertigo-comic-too/ (which is referencing this - http://www.terrazero.com.br/v2/2013/11/fiq-frente-a-frente-com-geoff-johns/ )
There's not actually any information about it in either of those though :p

Okay, maybe I am just not understanding peoples arguements;

There is not a lack of "indie" comics for people to buy. Image alone puts out a half dozen new books a month, it seems, and then you have the other dozen or so companies that publish. You have the rise of digital comics. The time has never been better for "indie" comics to come in and sweep away Superhero comics.

So... why hasn't it happened?

The vast bulk of the market continues to be Superhero comics. Why is that? Those readers have choices. They can buy any of the hundreds of indie titles or they can buy Superhero comics. The general vibe that I am getting from people who have argued across the aisle on this topic, seems to be that the problem is either A) That DC/Marvel exist? I guess? Because they put out Superhero comics and give people the choice to buy them??? or B) The problem is the people and they should be buying indie comics because indie???

There is a disconnect. People will buy what they want. Many people seem to want people to buy what they want them to buy as opposed to letting them buy what they want. Markets are self correcting. Over time they will gravitate towards what people want. Thankfully, there is a market for a little bit of everything right now and it's wonderful. But lashing out at Superhero comics like they do harm is just ridiculous. It's borderline hipster.

Anyways, now I have to go through my pull list and find an indie title to drop out of spite. ;)

Alternatively though, the current series is the fourth 'volume' overall (if you take 'volume' to mean 'fourth ongoing series called Hawkeye, excluding several miniseries with variously appellated names -- which wiki and databases and such seem to).
The assumption then becomes that their query is "Do I need to read Hawkeye 'volume one' from 1983 (collected in a trade in '88) or can I just start here with Fraction's run?", to which TetraxShards' answer is very, very right :)

This is what I assumed he meant. Hawkguy is listed on Wikipedia as Volume 4 (in the Collected Editions section).

Ephidel

I know it's still a month away but I can't wait for the Robotech/Voltron comic. I'm such a nerd for stupid shit like that.
How did I not know this existed? I remember loving Robotech as a kid, though I can't seem to remember much of it now. Wonder if it's too late to ask my LCS to try and order it.

Kikarian

I'm reading Batman - The long Halloween and It's fantastic. A really good story accompanied with good art. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Wait, that's a thing? Sign me the hell up!

How did I not know this existed? I remember loving Robotech as a kid, though I can't seem to remember much of it now. Wonder if it's too late to ask my LCS to try and order it.

It sounds pretty awesome-slash-silly-slash-nostalgic; I'm not sure why they decided to cross over the series but sure? I'm more of a fan of Robotech but I got love in my heart for Voltron too.

EDIT: Apparently Dynamite got the rights for Robotech from Harmony Gold, which makes sense, but the Voltron (comic?) rights came from DC? Lolwut? How long has DC had the rights to it?

Newsarama: Robotech/Voltron First Look

Bleeding Cool: Interview with Tommy Yune, writer of it.

Is there a story about this? All a google search picks up is his and Lemire's story in Ghosts...
He mentioned it on DC All Access. God I hate those ads in my comics, broad has such a wide gapping mouth and the brah trying to act all gangster. And why the fuck is there a huge ass photo of Grifter in the background? Thanks Jim Lee.

How is Batman Inc.? Never read any of it, but now that the last hardcover is up on InStockTrades, I'm thinking of grabbing all three. Worth it?

Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character and I've come to realize he doesn't have nearly enough representation on my bookshelves. All I have is the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1. (which is awesome btw). Anyone have any recommendations for recent Spidey hardcovers that are worth owning?

I was hoping for a best of compilation or two and I can't find anything. A compilation of a top tier recent run or two will suffice.

Thanks

Marvel Knights Spider-man by Mark Millar and Terry Dodson and Frank Cho.
Great characterization the story is decent and the art is very good.

Spider-man Blue by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.
One of the must haves for a spidey-fan.

Spider-Island by Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos and Stephano Caselli probably one of the few great events with Spider-man at the center.

Amazing Spider-man Big Time Ultimate Collection by Dan Slott.
This compilation of issues lead up to Spider-Island and feature Peter in his old status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom