• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2013. Truly, tofurkey is the offspring of some Black Science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Heavens no. I've read bits and pieces, but very little of it. So I'm guessing it won't make sense, in that case?

You'll really only fully enjoy it having read the rest of the run. I can't say for certain, but I'm sure it's at least fairly enjoyable on its own still. A lot of the details of the main plot will probably go over your head though which might take a lot of the wind out of its sails. If you're going to buy Batman books, you might as well buy the books from the beginning of the run and start from there.
With that said, the second part of Batman Inc. (The New 52 stuff collected in the Demon Star and Gotham's Most Wanted TPBs) was by far my favorite from the Morrison run, and I quite enjoyed the Morrison run in general. The art is fantastic and Morrison is at the top of his game with the writing.

Vibranium

Banned
I bought and read the first two trades of Chew, it was really great but I'm having a hard time wanting to go all in on the other ones. I think I'll wait, I need to keep my money for current stuff.

tim1138

Heavens no. I've read bits and pieces, but very little of it. So I'm guessing it won't make sense, in that case?

I'm sure you could enjoy it, but ultimately it'd be like reading the last chapter of a book. Morrison's run is basically one big, long arc that is all interconnected, so while parts of it can stand on their own you're really missing the big picture and themes unless you read it all. So just start at Batman and Son and read (and enjoy) the best Batman story ever told.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm reading Batman - The long Halloween and It's fantastic. A really good story accompanied with good art. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Loeb and Sale had some crazy chemistry back in the day but I'd say Long Halloween is the best thing they came up with, and it's a hell of a thing. It's probably the story that got me into Batman and helped catapult me deeper into the character.

arkon

Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character and I've come to realize he doesn't have nearly enough representation on my bookshelves. All I have is the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1. (which is awesome btw). Anyone have any recommendations for recent Spidey hardcovers that are worth owning?

I was hoping for a best of compilation or two and I can't find anything. A compilation of a top tier recent run or two will suffice.

Thanks

Spider-Man and the Human Torch miniseries by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm reading Batman - The long Halloween and It's fantastic. A really good story accompanied with good art. I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's a great story, definitely overrated a bit (but I still enjoyed it) and Spider-Man Blue was excellent too. Loeb wrote the definitive Harvy Dent origin, the only loose end was Gilda (who should return in New 52 if you ask me).

It's a shame the man who wrote stuff like Joker going around with a machine gun mob styled hit and acid getting thrown on a face turned into a kiddie-centric person. He won't admit that you can put lots of darkness into kid's cartoons and still make it work (Batman TAS). Kids can handle mature themes without swearing, they're always watching PG-13 movies these days anyways.

The Maxx Maxximized #1 Preview

From CBR: The Maxx tells the story of a homeless person who lives in a box and moves back and forth between our reality and "The Outback," a heroic fantasy realm. He is aided and accompanied by Julie Winters, a social worker in our world and a beautiful jungle princess in The Outback.

I reckon I'm about as excited for this as most of y'all are for Black Science. In addiction to an intriguing set-up, the art and layouts look very cool. This drops tomorrow. Hope some of y'all will check it out.

Dead

well not really...yet

From CBR: The Maxx tells the story of a homeless person who lives in a box and moves back and forth between our reality and "The Outback," a heroic fantasy realm. He is aided and accompanied by Julie Winters, a social worker in our world and a beautiful jungle princess in The Outback.

I reckon I'm about as excited for this as most of y'all are for Black Science. In addiction to an intriguing set-up, the art and layouts look very cool. This drops tomorrow. Hope some of y'all will check it out.
Your post almost reads as if you weren't aware that this is a re-colored reprint of a 90s comic.

edit: that come off more negative that I meant it too lol. Was just pointing that out...

Your post almost reads as if you weren't aware that this is a re-colored reprint of a 90s comic.

edit: that come off more negative that I meant it too lol. Was just pointing that out...

Yep! And by judging by how cool it looks to be, I reckon it's a good choice for a re-mastered, re-scaned, re-coloured, new covered treatment. I'll be reading it for the first time and it doesn't strike me as something likely to feel dated.

Nudull

Banned

I remember seeing the cartoon once, thought it was weird as hell, made no sense, and it never really "clicked" with me. Then again, this was years ago, so I dunno how I'd react now. lol

Isak_Borg

The re-coloring on this book is sooo good...

I'm trade waiting but it looked really good.

Was a serious Maxx fan when it was originally on sale. Still have my issues, in fact.

Amazing comic. Should be a must read for everyone.

THAT BEING SAID

the Maxx got fucking WEIRD towards the end, and Sam Keith clearly lost interest in the main plot and started writing random side tales that went nowhere.

It ends sort of abruptly, and kind of highlights a possible flaw with creator owned comics.

MartyStu

So I have been reading some pre-nu52 stuff and have made 2 observations:

1 - Stephenie Brown is awesome and the fact that we do NOT have her in the nu52 is a travesty. I am pulling for her as the new Robin...

2 - So is it pretty much accepted that if you are Batclan, you lead whatever team you happen to be a member of?

Oshit. I'll get the trades whenever they make them, I still have the old singles.

Village

So I have been reading some pre-nu52 stuff and have made 2 observations:

1 - Stephenie Brown is awesome and the fact that we do NOT have her in the nu52 is a travesty. I am pulling for her as the new Robin...

2 - So is it pretty much accepted that if you are Batclan, you lead whatever team you happen to be a member of?

Yes

and Kinda.

multivac

So, looking at buying into Chew in the Comixology sale. There are two issue 27s, and I understand the difference I think, but does anyone recommend actually getting both or just the newest one with extra content? Any difference otherwise?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My god, Sandman, Doll House...it sticks with you. So heavy...

For optimal enjoyment, please listen to this song while you read this preview of Empowered Volume 8.

NhaBxr3.jpg
siGJyLA.jpg

bMYbI2I.jpg
zGxbcYZ.jpg

vD0yETT.jpg
MF5VxyR.jpg

eTY8V4Z.jpg
U9WJ2yo.jpg
GO EMP GO! GO EMP GO!!! :D

A few days old now but I wanted to share my thoughts on Al Plastino in light of his passing;

This gentleman was responsible for some of the best Superboy / Superman / Supergirl / Legion artwork of the 60s. His Supergirl is especially iconic along with his Legion Founders. He had a very "wholesome" style that personally appeals to me. In hindsight he is one of those artists that I would have loved to have met and own a piece of his artwork.

His was not the first Superman/girl/Legion art I ever saw, in fact I came into it relatively "recently" (as of a few years ago) but it would be squarely in my top 3, even now.

So I salute to you, good sir, and for your contribution to a medium I've come to love.

It's a great story, definitely overrated a bit (but I still enjoyed it) and Spider-Man Blue was excellent too. Loeb wrote the definitive Harvy Dent origin, the only loose end was Gilda (who should return in New 52 if you ask me).

Current Batman and Robin series spoilers-
Two Face's new origin has Gilda murdered by the same mobster who pours acid on Harvey's face. Yeah.

Is the new-ish Guardians of the Galaxy run any good? I read a good chunk of the 2008 run and enjoyed it. I've read the origins/early stuff for Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon, too.

When I saw the new series I was immediately turned off by them changing Star-Lord's looks completely, and the new outfits in general. Not sure why they'd ever ditch the amazing uniforms they had in '08. I would have liked to see an evolution of that space-WW2 style. The whole Mass Effect-knock off look is really dull compared to what they used to be rocking.

I also heard Agent Venom's going to join the Guardians which is actually kind of interesting, considering that the symbiote is a cosmic entity. Seems cooler than Iron Man being on the team, anyway.

Tizoc

Orbital looks interesting, will give it a read when it's out.

Spider-Man is my favorite comic book character and I've come to realize he doesn't have nearly enough representation on my bookshelves. All I have is the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1. (which is awesome btw). Anyone have any recommendations for recent Spidey hardcovers that are worth owning?

I was hoping for a best of compilation or two and I can't find anything. A compilation of a top tier recent run or two will suffice.

Thanks

Spiderman Blue by Tim Sale
Spiderman by JMS
The original Spiderman run by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, if only to see how it all began and what it inspired

That's it off the top of my head though.

Looking ahead on the Previews website at the upcoming releases listed for December 12th and Six Gun Gorilla #6 is finally dropping!!! Omg, omg, omg. And Legends of the Guard vol.2 #4 and the Numbercruncher HC that I'm thinking of getting though I have the singles holy crap what a week.

Blader

Damn, Infinity's conclusion was great. More proof that Hickman should have just focused the event on the Thanos stuff and not the dull as hell Builder story.

headshot95

Neo Member
So whats the deal with Ultimate Spiderman? Does it really go from issue #133 to issue #153 or is there something in-between all that?

Yeah feel the same way but
Rogue on the other hand..

Does Rogue have Wolverine's healing factor if she absorbed his powers? Wait, does Wolverine even have a healing factor in this story? I'm gonna assume he does to come back from all the shit he's been in these last few issues

And yeah, McNiven started off a bit sketchy, but he picked it the hell up once the main story got started, I don't think he's even looked better than he does here.

Does Rogue have Wolverine's healing factor if she absorbed his powers? Wait, does Wolverine even have a healing factor in this story? I'm gonna assume he does to come back from all the shit he's been in these last few issues

And yeah, McNiven started off a bit sketchy, but he picked it the hell up once the main story got started, I don't think he's even looked better than he does here.
Wolverine was in pretty bad shape last issue, so I guess he still has it.

Remender tends to handle Logan's healing factor reasonably I remember when he got injured badly during the Dark Angel Saga and was out for a couple of issues but he did come back really quick after what happened last issue. Mc Niven was on fire after the Kang stuff glad to see he's back to form. I don't know about the healing factor working from being completely eradicated.

frye

Yeah, Rogue should still have a healing factor and no way Wanda is down for the count just yet. Simon might be a goner tho

ElNarez

Banned
Dear Rick Remender,

Good job on offing the three worst characters in Uncanny Avengers. My shop didn't have Black Science for some reason, sorry :(

xoxo,
ElNarez

arkon

So whats the deal with Ultimate Spiderman? Does it really go from issue #133 to issue #153 or is there something in-between all that?

Looks like there was. They switched the numbering to a new #1 for USM vol. 2 and then switched back to the original numbering. So it looks like Ultimate: Spider-man: Requiem #1-2 and Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 2 #1-15 plug the gap so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom