• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Bunn's replacement on Aquaman has been announced.

JOHNS.

IS.

BACK.

Also I guess Pelletier is out? So guess what buckos :

REIS.

IS.

BACK.

ALSO.

Finally! I thought we'd never see the seas rise. What does this mean for Justice League? I thought Johns' was limited to only one book by the higher ups?

I'm back! I'd be happy with either Johns or Parker. But this better not prevent my John's Shazam book that should have happened already

I think Gary Frank's busy with Batman: Earth 2 Volume 3. I'm sure I read somewhere that Johns didn't want to do Shazam without him.

I think Gary Frank's busy with Batman: Earth 2 Volume 3. I'm sure I read somewhere that Johns didn't want to do Shazam without him.

Whenever anyone mentions Gary Frank, this is all I can think of:

Gary-frank-superman.jpg

Owzers

Trump talking about Obama being the great divider, sometimes i don't know why i'm voting for this guy in 2016. I'm still going to though...

Fifteen hours left for the Sunstone Humble bundle, get it now and think about how lewd it is later.

VanWinkle

I can't remember if I've asked before, but is there any required reading before Blackest Night? Meaning, something that I really should read first before starting the standalone event.

Owzers

I can't remember if I've asked before, but is there any required reading before Blackest Night? Meaning, something that I really should read first before starting the standalone event.

it's not a standalone event, which collection did you get? The green lantern issues are really needed and stuff from the green lantern corps gets integrated towards the end. Apart from that , the previous arcs of Johns Green Lantern builds into blackest night, stuff like Rage of the Red Lanterns and Agent Orange i believe.

VanWinkle

it's not a standalone event, which collection did you get? The green lantern issues are really needed and stuff from the green lantern corps gets integrated towards the end. Apart from that , the previous arcs of Johns Green Lantern builds into blackest night, stuff like Rage of the Red Lanterns and Agent Orange i believe.

I got this. I assumed it was standalone since it was just called "Blackest Night" and included "Blackest Night 1-8".

I don't really NEED all the Lantern stuff that came before to understand the event, do I? I figured it was just like how I don't have to read Cataclysm or Road to No Man's Land to understand and enjoy the No Man's Land event.

But if you feel like I won't know what's going on while reading the Blackest Night trade, though, then I'll get what I absolutely have to.

Edit: Looking more into it with reviews and stuff, I probably should have just not gotten this. There's WAY too much companion material that leads up to and expands upon during the thing. I can't afford all of that stuff.

He's not on Aquaman again. That's a JL arc. It's been known. Why the fuck has Reis left Cyborg? Show some confidence you stupid fucks Didio.

I think starting with Sinestro Corps -> Rage of the Red -> Agent Orange -> Blackest Night/Blackest Night GL is sufficient.

The corps stuff is good but it has mostly nothing to do with Hal and the main storyline, it does a bit of foreshadowing and introduces the corps members. Maybe pick up secret origins for Hal's origins and his relationship to Sinestro (also seeds future storylines).

Honestly though I'd just get all of John's run. It's pretty great throughout the whole thing.

He's not on Aquaman again. That's a JL arc. It's been known. Why the fuck has Reis left Cyborg? Show some confidence you stupid fucks Didio.

This. Cyborg was a beautiful book with Reis' pencils. I haven't read the latest issue, so I can't comment on Felipe Watanabe's pencils, but if DC wants Cyborg to be a headlining book, it needs a headlining creative team. The current writer is doing a great job balancing Victor's internal/external conflict between his humanity and cybernetic body, but I'm not sure it's enough of a drawcard to generate sales alone.

Edit:
I just checked out Watanabe's work on Teen Titans #12 and I can't say I'm a fan. It looks rushed and generic.

VanWinkle

I think starting with Sinestro Corps -> Rage of the Red -> Agent Orange -> Blackest Night/Blackest Night GL is sufficient.

The corps stuff is good but it has mostly nothing to do with Hal and the main storyline.

Hmm okay, that doesn't sound too bad. Now, let me ask you this. How much of that, if any, is included in the Green Lantern Omnibus volume 2? Here's what the description says: "Collects Green Lantern #26-52, Blackest Night #0-7, DC Universe #0, Untold Tales of Blackest Night #1-2, Blackest Night Tales of the Corps #1-2." So it's at least the Blackest Night, but are the other ones you said within the main GL run? Or no? I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get what I need.

Hmm okay, that doesn't sound too bad. Now, let me ask you this. How much of that, if any, is included in the Green Lantern Omnibus volume 2? Here's what the description says: "Collects Green Lantern #26-52, Blackest Night #0-7, DC Universe #0, Untold Tales of Blackest Night #1-2, Blackest Night Tales of the Corps #1-2." So it's at least the Blackest Night, but are the other ones you said within the main GL run? Or no? I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get what I need.

I think it's still cheapest to get the trades (but not by that much). But what you listed is everythingbetween Sinestro Corps War & Green Lantern Brightest Day.

So that is Rage of the Red, Agent Orange, Blackest Night, Blackest Night Tales of the corp, Blackest Night GL. In other words you pretty much have the main story contained in the omnibus. The only thing it's missing is GLC stuff which isn't super necessary and just gives more characterization to side characters.

I do wish they collected the GLC in a seperate omnibus.

Owzers

I think my enjoyment of Blackest Night hinged on my previous affection for Johns' Green Lantern run, mainly Sinestro Corps War and the build towards blackest night. The event itself was a decent sized disappointment that i'd partly recommend as long as you read the previous arcs, by itself i guarantee nothing!

Hey SF5's doing it and it's comin in 2016 :V

2.5D fighting games? In 2016? ;)

KoF will never be Street Fighter. I think it'll always be kind of a niche thing. Srsly, those command inputs are 2 hardcore 4 me, brah. I'll stick to my QCF, QCF, thanks.

Tizoc

2.5D fighting games? In 2016? ;)

KoF will never be Street Fighter. I think it'll always be kind of a niche thing. Srsly, those command inputs are 2 hardcore 4 me, brah. I'll stick to my QCF, QCF, thanks.

But KoF has those.
Case in point: Guile's SF2 and SF4 supers can be performed by
Hold Down-Back, do HCB, then an Upward input+Kick

Cab't believe I never thought of that for 10 years til I started playing SF4...

But KoF has those.
Case in point: Guile's SF2 and SF4 supers can be performed by
Hold Down-Back, do HCB, then an Upward input+Kick

Cab't believe I never thought of that for 10 years til I started playing SF4...

I'm talking more in regards to those crazy 3/4 of a circle in midair while standing on your head kind of motions that some of the supers in KoF have. Some of them are just bizarre.

Tizoc

I'm talking more in regards to those crazy 3/4 of a circle kind of motions that some of the supers in KoF have. Some of them are just bizarre.

Nothing bizarre about them really, they're normal movement of the joy stick. You play this series for 10+ years and they become second nature.

Geese's super doesn't count because he isn't in many games and even then you can do Raging storm as HCBx2, DF+P
Works for me every time.

Squire

Banned
I know he's an exec but why can Johns only do one book? That seems like a pretty light workload. DC business end must really keep him busy.

I know he's an exec but why can Johns only do one book? That seems like a pretty light workload. DC business end must really keep him busy.

I don't think it was officially confirmed, just heavily rumoured. I tried looking for a source, but could only find a BleedingCool article. He has his hands in so many pies though, it makes sense that he could only write one or two on-goings.

Man, the morbid humour of Rachel Rising tickles me so. Just read issue 30. When
Malus in that woman's body was being pecked as he died, I was laughing.
Which is.. Weird, right? But that's one of the reasons I love this book. It causes me to react in ways that no other book can. Also,
Jet being like, "I'll be there later" after Rachel strangled herself.. It's just so funny how small of a deal it is when Rachel dies now.

I know it's early, but is Extraordinary X-Men expected to be top shelf quality, based on the pedigree of the creative team? I'm not sold on the concept, but the team looks fun.

All right I'm back in. So, I jumped out of this book immediately after Johns left (25). What else is worth reading? As Event-less as possible, please.

Read everything Jeff Parker wrote. I'd argue his run was just as good if not better than Johns'.

Tonight's episode of Flash made me realise how much I want a new Vibe series. Live-action Cisco Ramone is too good. DC needs to capitalise on that cross-promotion. I've not been reading Robert Vendetti and Van Jensen's Flash, does it hold up?

All right I'm back in. So, I jumped out of this book immediately after Johns left (25). What else is worth reading? As Event-less as possible, please.
It's just a Justice League arc, he's not on Aquaman. It's been known that he was going to do another Aquaman centric JL arc since he left. This is it. Jeff Parker is a good Aquaman writer, read it. DC is stupid for getting rid of him and then canceling his JL book. His stuff fits DC much better than whatever they are trying to accomplish at Marvel.

Read everything Jeff Parker wrote. I'd argue his run was just as good if not better than Johns'.

Tonight's episode of Flash made me realise how much I want a new Vibe series. Live-action Cisco Ramone is too good. DC needs to capitalise on that cross-promotion. I've not been reading Robert Vendetti and Van Jensen's Flash, does it hold up?
It's fucking trash. Van Jensen and Venditti are some of the worst brahs to ever call themselves writers.

Uncanny X-Men#600 preview.

Weirdest and worst executed recon I've ever read. Horribly hamfisted use of Jean grey as a plot device.

It's just a Justice League arc, he's not on Aquaman. It's been known that he was going to do another Aquaman centric JL arc since he left. This is it. Jeff Parker is a good Aquaman writer, read it. DC is stupid for getting rid of him and then canceling his JL book. His stuff fits DC much better than whatever they are trying to accomplish at Marvel.

It's fucking trash. Van Jensen and Venditti are some of the worst brahs to ever call themselves writers.

Seriously? Man, that's depressing. Coming off tonight's episode of the Flash, I'm pumped for Flash comics. :( Are Jensen and Venditti on it for the long haul? I'd love to see someone like Sterling Gates to take over.

This is kinda true, whether it's Flash or Green Lantern.

Especially Venditti's idea of emotions being a finite resource in the universe. Which flies in the face of a lot of things and makes certain aspects of the DCU redunant. like some of the Endless. which is bullshit.

I mean I'm probably bias but what the hell...

Also...while it's great Johns is writing an Aquaman centric arc and Reis is delivering the goods on the pencils...what the heck is happening to Fabook? Unless we know...

I still want Johns and Frank to do a Shazam ongoing but...if Johns is helping the movies along then I suppose it'll have to wait.

Pretty sure the Johns/Frank thing is just the Batman Earth One books. Johns has been teasing volume 3 recently

And what the hell CMX, where's this week's Darkseid War tie in books?

I don't know why you can't see them, they've been up for a few hours for me. I'll direct link you...

Oh wait. That's weird, they are no longer listed. I swear they were available not long ago. I was actually going to make a post about the artist doing pencils on the Superman one-shot.

Edit:
I checked my history and found the links to the Flash and Superman issues. Both are broken.

Hagi

This whole thing has been so poorly handled I just shake my head whenever I read anything about it.

As for the new X-men stuff I hope we find out what Scott did sooner rather than later because having him get mentioned in hush hush tones throughout several books is tiresome.

What about Uncanny X-Men #600? Does it explain where the
Phoenix Egg
Scott had in Secret Wars #1, came from?

As for the new X-men stuff I hope we find out what Scott did sooner rather than later because having him get mentioned in hush hush tones throughout several books is tiresome.

From what I just read on Bleeding Cool, Uncanny X-Men #600 and Extraordinary X-Men #1 seem completely at odds with each other. I'm not making the connection as to how events could have spiralled so far out control to result in the Extraordinary status-quo. I haven't read the issue, mind you, but it's put me off somewhat.

Top Bottom