• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Hagi

Uncanny X-Men #600

Storm:
"This changes nothing"

Storm's hate boner for Cyclops knows no end. Just stop Storm. Then maybe senpai will notice you.

When you think about it that's just foreshadowing
that it doesn't actually change anything :p

tim1138

tumblr_nwzlycYzKH1unwageo1_250.gif

not really sure what to make of that....

this is the first time
Prometheus has been cool ever
. Well done, team.

Orlando going deep into the roster and making it work perfectly. What a great way to to use that character.

After all the glowing reviews online, I tried Citizen Jack #1 and I am not disappointed. That was a fun issue with fantastic art. I could put it into my own words but I would fail miserably.

A HORROR-COMEDY FOR ANYONE WHO HATES POLITICS! Every presidential candidate has a skeleton in their closet-Jack Northworthy worships the devil! A scandal-plagued, small town politician, Jack should in no way be president. But he's got a secret weapon: Marlinspike, a malevolent demon of high ambitions. Together, they're running for president in an outrageous campaign that America will never forget! Blockbuster writer SAM HUMPHRIES (Guardians of the Galaxy and X-men: Black Vortex) and New York Times bestselling artist TOMMY PATTERSON (Game of Thrones) debut a brand new ONGOING SERIES with a DIABOLICAL EXTRA-SIZED FIRST ISSUE!

Ive never read a Faustian tale this funny in my entire life. It also happens to be one of the best political satires in a long, long time. This is a very impressive start and I cant wait to read the next issue. Highly recommended. Read Full Review

Citizen Jack pulls no punches in its critique of the American political system. This issue is a snarling beast of story — it looks fantastic, it reads magnificently — it's entertainment at it's finest.Citizen Jack has my vote. Read Full Review

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Uncanny X-Men #600

Storm:
"This changes nothing"

Storm's hate boner for Cyclops knows no end. Just stop Storm. Then maybe senpai will notice you.

Storm is the reason I passed on Extra X-men. Never liked her as character and it sounds like she has gotten infinitely worse ove the last decade.

I like Bendis.

That Icenan junk means it's already a 9/10 at the absolute best.

Couldn't disagree more. It was perfectly handled.

The idea that in comics you can have Punisher turn into a fucking Frankenstein but people have a problem with complicated sexuality is so plop take inducing I can't even stand up.

Hagi

The idea that in comics you can have Punisher turn into a fucking Frankenstein but people have a problem with complicated sexuality is so plop take inducing I can't even stand up.

Maybe if he wrote it better people wouldn't have such a problem with it.

Personally I think doing it at the end of his run was a mistake, it would have been better earlier so he could build of it himself but then you'd have things like Battle of the Atom and Black Vortex screeching things to a halt so really there was no winning. The delay for #600 wasn't great either. It'll be interesting to see Bobby going forward though especially how we've had a timeskip, I'd like it if it was just not referenced at all and he just had a boyfriend or had someone he was seeing.

That said not talking about anyone here but people were going to have problems with this regardless of how well it was handled.

Squire

Banned

I just read it and it was very good, but yeah, the Iceman retcon still doesn't sit right with me. I can appreciate the nuances of sexuality, but I don't think Bendis can. He's shown me that in how he's written these scenes.

I know he understands there's s need for diversity in comics. I appreciate that. I don't think there's a malicious bone in his body. But Bobby's coming out is bungled and misguided on his part and that's a shame. It's not really new territory for Bendis either, as I'm learning from reading Alias. It so blatantly feels like a straight guy talking about "gay stuff" he doesn't seem to have examined very much outside of film/TV.

It's a bad retcon for good (or perhaps, well-intentioned) reasons. I enjoyed the underlying message of the back-up story though. I'm sure Bendis wants the best for the character and o do too. We just disagree on how he went about it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Batman And Robin Eternal #5
Detective Comics #46
Green Arrow #46
Green Lantern #46
Justice League Darkseid War Superman #1
Justice League Darkseid War The Flash #1

James Bond #1

Amazing Spider-Man #3
Deadpool #1
Doctor Strange #2
Drax #1
Extraordinary X-Men #1
Hercules #1
Invincible Iron Man #3
Star Wars #11
Uncanny X-Men #600
Vision #1

ITS A GOOD DAY

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Read everything Jeff Parker wrote. I'd argue his run was just as good if not better than Johns'.

Tonight's episode of Flash made me realise how much I want a new Vibe series. Live-action Cisco Ramone is too good. DC needs to capitalise on that cross-promotion. I've not been reading Robert Vendetti and Van Jensen's Flash, does it hold up?

Eh, I'm enjoying it.

VanWinkle

I'm reading Identity Crisis, and something I see referenced is
something about some of the heroes having died, despite them being back now? Like, Ollie is talking and says that he died, and that Clark died, but they're obviously there right now.
Can anybody give me a bit of context to that? So far, that point hasn't been crucial to the plot in any way, but I just want to know what they're talking about with that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
something about some of the heroes having died, despite them being back now? Like, Ollie is talking and says that he died, and that Clark died, but they're obviously there right now.
Can anybody give me a bit of context to that? So far, that point hasn't been crucial to the plot in any way, but I just want to know what they're talking about with that.
Have you never hear of Death of Superman? :D

Superman died during the Reign of the Supermen trilogy (The Death of Superman, A World Without A Superman, The Return of Superman). It's collected in an omni, but I think it's out of print. It's also not very good, but I personally have a lot of nostalgia for it as it was the big storyline when I first got into comics.

Green Arrow died stopping Not Greenpeace from detonating a nuke in Metropolis. He was atomized by the explosion so only Superman could tell he was dead. Hal Jordan, under the effects of Parallax at the time, brought him back during the events of The Final Night.

VanWinkle

Thanks Tetrix ^

Have you never hear of Death of Superman? :D

I haven't read it though I've heard of it. So is it basically just talking about how various characters have died in various versions of the DC universe? Does it explain why they're here now, or is it just kind of a matter of fact in the book?

ayyyy lmao tony stark

"Oh yeah? I died and was resurrected as my own child."

edit: dayum marquez is like a cleaner dustin weaver here my gawt

EDIT EDIT: omfggg that page. YOU KNOW THE ONE I MEAN.

ElNarez

Banned
ayyyy lmao tony stark

"Oh yeah? I died and was resurrected as my own child."

edit: dayum marquez is like a cleaner dustin weaver here my gawt

EDIT EDIT: omfggg that page. YOU KNOW THE ONE I MEAN.

Seeing Bendis and Marquez execute on a joke this dumb while still having all of the legit character drama just proved how far above the rest of ANAD Iron Man sits.

But speaking of Bendis books, Iceman being gay and coming out to himself made some sense. Still mad about the bi erasure, but, the whole part about taking a long time to come out because you're busy experiencing other shit that's also heavy? Been there. There's some authenticity to that.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seeing Bendis and Marquez execute on a joke this dumb while still having all of the legit character drama just proved how far above the rest of ANAD Iron Man sits.

But speaking of Bendis books, Iceman being gay and coming out to himself made some sense. Still mad about the bi erasure, but, the whole part about taking a long time to come out because you're busy experiencing other shit that's also heavy? Been there. There's some authenticity to that.
Which bi erasure do you mean? Hercules?

ElNarez

Banned
Which bi erasure do you mean? Hercules?

It's the whole "You are 100% gay and nothing else, there's not even the possibility of you being anything other than gay, which could've explained why you dated girls before, but, nah, actually, you're just totally gay and nothing else, and there isn't really anything else, don't think about it with your absolutely, completely totally gay brain" thing Jean kinda said in ANXM

It's the whole "You are 100% gay and nothing else, there's not even the possibility of you being anything other than gay, which could've explained why you dated girls before, but, nah, actually, you're just totally gay and nothing else, and there isn't really anything else, don't think about it with your absolutely, completely totally gay brain" thing Jean kinda said in ANXM

but so you're saying something that wasn't really confirmed was officially confirmed in an issue of a comic released a few hours ago but everyone is pretty ok with it not being spoiler tagged?

i mean look i read my comics like a BOSS at 3:01 AM but most everyone else hate me cuz they ain't me and read their comics later

just sayin

Complicated?

Jean: "Bobby, your gay"
Young Iceman: *Shrugs shoulders* "OK"

Young Iceman: "Old Me, we're gay"
Old Iceman: "Hmm.. You make a good point. Ok"

The entire thing reads like Jean Grey psychicly manipulated them.
It was just Horribly done.

Complicated?

Jean: "Bobby, your gay"
Young Iceman: *Shrugs shoulders* "OK"

Young Iceman: "Old Me, we're gay"
Old Iceman: "Hmm.. You make a good point. Ok"

The entire thing reads like Jean Grey psychicly manipulated them. It was just Horribly done.

interesting encapsulation of literally an entire page of dense monologue there

ElNarez

Banned
but so you're saying something that wasn't really confirmed was officially confirmed in an issue of a comic released a few hours ago but everyone is pretty ok with it not being spoiler tagged?

i mean look i read my comics like a BOSS at 3:01 AM but most everyone else hate me cuz they ain't me and read their comics later

just sayin

It's not much of a spoiler that the gay guy turns out to still be gay, and it's an issue worth discussing considering the conversation about issues of representation that have been going on in the past few weeks.

It's not
Cyclops uniting every mutang in a display of peace in Uncanny, and then eight months later somehow having massively fucked up again in Extraordinary, good god that book is goddamn trash.

interesting encapsulation of literally an entire page of dense monologue there

Because that's exactly how it went down.

In comic books we are treated to characters internal thoughts, feeling and dialog. Constantly! Be we are supposed to buy that Bobby never internally questioned his sexual once in all these years? Not once in all of the heterosexual relationships he has had over the years? And none of dozens of psychics that have read his mind ever brought it up? EMMA FROST of all people never brought it up?

No, I have no problem with the result only how Bobby got there. Stupid Retcon that was handled horribly.

tim1138

Darkseid War Superman was the better of the two tie ins this week. I like that Negative Superman isn't
evil or corrupt, he's just kind of apathetic and lonely. Being the God of Strength didn't make him a mindless brute, but someone who realizes just how different he is
. It was nice to see a bit of a different take.

Sadist

Yay comics

Uncanny X-Men #600

So yeah, I didn't care much for this. At all.
Maybe it was the long wait, but resolving everything in 52 pages felt like a bad montage in a movie for me. The trial of Beast was cool, but I really would have loved it if this would be an full blown issue around it. Not just a few pages. As for the rest of the stories... I dunno, felt rushed. Nothing wrong with Bobby being gay, but I feel this should have gotten more time. Or the Jean x Young Beast thing... felt a bit meh. Weird old Beast face had me laughing hard though
Glad Bendis will be off the X-Men from now on.

Extraordinary X-Men

Typical #1 issue, but I'll be there for #2. And shiiiieeeet,
Cyclops is dead/went of the deep end? If so, Doom be praised!

Invincible Iron Man #3

Sometimes I'd love to kick your ass Bendis, but this time you're doing awesome stuff. Together with Cap and Spider-Man my favourite ANAD books.
FACIAL HAIR BRO'S!

The Amazing Spider-Man #3

Another fun issue. Finally Slott found his groove with Peter.
Him buying the Baxter Building is really Pete-like, but man Johnny, you'd think he would forget about the FF? Sweet to see. And now I really want to know about Reed and Sue. As for Harry working at Parker Industries? Gee, how surprising. And ofcourse Gobbie is out there...

NexusCell

So I read Vision 1 today...

latest

Holy Shit. This was so good. There's art and narration bring forth a feeling of uncanny valley that completely compements the story. You know it's going to end in tears, heck they even tell you it's going to end in tears, but the writing, combined with some genuinely interesting twists and surprises, makes it pretty much the best book of the relaunch alongside Captain America.

Squire

Banned
Bob's been gay since ANXM #40.

There's nothing to spoil, except for maybe how Still Not Great the followup discussion in #600 is.

In which case: Sorry. *shrug*

Owzers

Are the Peanuts comic stuff any good? Who's this charlie brown guy? I don't actually remember reading any of the comic strips, i've just seen the holiday specials several times.

Deadpool #1 was not new reader friendly. I had no clue what was going on and didn't find the character very interesting. I'm more excited about the movie and still to this day think X-Force Deadpool has been the best incarnation of the character. Hopefully Joe Kelly's Deadpool/Spidey book satisfies.

Jesus could you people fucking spoiler tag shit. Describing every detail of a character is a spoiler for people who've read previous issues of the fucking comic

jesus i have to explain this shit?

seriously????

I'm with Birdie. I haven't had the chance to read any comics today and the spoilers here kinda suck, guys. They kinda suck.

Unless your post is a Birdie-Proud "omfg this comic" or "you know the page i mean" take the eight fucking seconds and spoiler tag it

what is this grotesquely lazy nonsense

Top Bottom