• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Messi

Oh dang, Sandman Overture is out? I didn't even know it was finished in singles, so whoops! Well, that's exciting! Also, the back half of Busiek Avengers!

Edit: Not sure I'm going to pull that trigger just yet, but if I'm curious about Chew... are these "Smorgasbord editions" the way to go?

No get the OHC versions. I find the smorgasbord is waaaaay too big.

Owzers

That line by iceman was great though.
This is why nobody likes you, Jean Grey"

I picture Bendis as Jean Grey.

Boogiepop

No get the OHC versions. I find the smorgasbord is waaaaay too big.

Ah, I actually just pulled the trigger on the Smorgasbord before this. I'm usually fond of big ol' omnibi so it shouldn't be a problem, though. Also grabbed Sandman Overture, Busiek/Perez Avengers Omnibus 2, and then I knocked off Amazing Screw-on Head, the Abe Sapien series, and the first volume of BPRD Hell on Earth. So I've finally knocked the Mignolaverse down to just the rest of BPRD Hell on Earth and the one volume of Hellboy in Hell that's out. So close to being done!

Tizoc

Yo GAF
Have you ever read Pax Americana
in reverse

Like you start at the final page, then read each character's section as intended but you finish with the first page.

Messi

Maybe I can become the Messi of ComicGAF #Iwanttobelieve

Regarding Comics, amazing how fantastic the style of the early Hubertl Ramos was

What will become of the actual Messi of ComicGAF?

I'm still in the process of absorbing him but i'm having problems integrating Sunstone.

Since Zombine is gone, he can become him.

Its like a Comicbook, where they change identies.

Thats one way to solve this problem

YOU GUYS THINK THIS IS A FUCKING GAME?

Squire

Banned
I think Bendis is the worst part of all of it. Jean is only acting this way because he needs to write a bad episode of Degrassi in comic form.

It's clear he doesn't understand what it's like to come out or how it happens. He's fine telling the kind of narrative that plays best on a reality TV show. Just saying "Jean sucks" is letting him get away scot free. He's playing that card for himself now.

Yo GAF
Have you ever read Pax Americana
in reverse

Like you start at the final page, then read each character's section as intended but you finish with the first page.

Nope. I knew you could do that, but honestly, I wasn't a huge fan. Multiversity: The Just was my favorite book of the entire series.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I didn't enjoy Multiversity. Didn't bother with any more after Pax Americana.

Overrated.

Sooooo.......... I may have just bought this:

DCC11537.jpg

I've always liked this one, and she looks great in the Youtube unboxings I've watched.

ElNarez

Banned
Reading Pax Americana backwards is baby stuff for babies. Real Morrison fans read it with the panels arranged by color, which is totally a thing.

Anyways, I had a list of stuff for this week and here it is:

BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #5
MIDNIGHTER #6
UNFOLLOW #1

CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #2
DEADPOOL #1
DOCTOR STRANGE #2
EXTRAORDINARY X-MEN #1
HOWARD THE DUCK #1
INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #3
MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN AND BUCKINGHAM #4 (MR)
STAR WARS #11
UNCANNY X-MEN #600
VISION #1

JAMES BOND #1
KLAUS #1

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I have finished Ultimate Comics X-Men. Now just to finish up the last arc of Ultimates, then read Cataclysm and finish it off with the All New Ultimates or whatever the hell they call it.

So apparently when they said the X-Men who chose not to be cured of their powers were going to live on a reservation, they really meant it. They get their own sovereign nation in like a few square miles of irradiated dessert and have their American citizenship taken away. Nothing that interesting really happens. They develop magic seeds that can grow plants anywhere (like in their irradiated hellhole called home). Rogue becomes a crazy person who live in the trees and is like a shitty version of Poison Ivy. Psylocke mentally controls half of the X-Men to turn against the other and a rogue part of the government continues to try and kill all mutants. Naturally Kitty Pride saves everyone.

That leads us to the big conclusion of Ultimate X-Men (minus the Cataclysm stuff coming up).

World War X could have been interesting I guess, but there was sort of a pretty massive issue with the whole thing that they never really bothered to explain. Why was Jean Grey the villain? Brian Wood decided in the 21 issues he would be writing this book that it apparently doesn't matter enough to be explained. She rules Tian (a bunch of floating islands from an earlier Ultimates arc) and for some reason in her mind there can only be one city of mutants, so Kitty Pride and her group in Utopia need to join her or she will have to kill them.

They proceed to fight and have a war. Kitty Pride turns from Gandhi to Rambo in about 3 panels and also gains super strength to go along with her other powers. At least I assume so since she was punching the head off a bunch of robot/cyborg soldiers. Then in the end she blows up Tian with a mutant powered rail gun. Jean Grey then apparently gets to live with them in Utopia after agreeing to wear a power dampener and starts a garden.

The one redeeming aspect of this whole arc is that Kitty Pride goes on for issues that by fighting back she is going to be seen as a huge terrorist and everyone will hate her (she actually gives up control of Utopia to Colossus to prevent any blow back on the rest of them). After the war she meets with a representative of the Army who pretty much tells her no one in the United States government gives a fuck about the whole thing and they are just tired of dealing with the mutants. When she asks about the reaction to her blowing up Tian, she gets told the rest of Southeast Asia thought they were a bunch of assholes and are glad its gone.

Also on the plus side, at least in X-Men they call him President Rogers and not President Captain America.

I can really see why the Ultimate universe was put out to pasture. At this point, with the exception of 12 issues from Hickman and Spider-Man, there really hasn't been any good comics since Ultimatum ruined everything.

Bunn's replacement on Aquaman has been announced.

JOHNS.

IS.

BACK.

Also I guess Pelletier is out? So guess what buckos :

REIS.

IS.

BACK.

ALSO.

YUSSSSS

Also, Grant Morrison is unquestionably a genius, but I think the art of Doom Patrol is doing a lot of the heavy lifting. Such a talent for the absurd, the bizarre.

So I finished Alias last night. Really liked it. Mu favorite arc was the Spider-Woman arc, but the Purple Man arc was a close second. Really good book that never got too gritty or dark (good balance of humor), but still kept a very serious and much darker tone compared to the rest of the MU. Bendis' Daredevil is still one of my favorite, if not my favorite street-level book, but Alias is still really good and has some very heavy moments, making very top tier.

Street level Marvel keeps on keeping on.

Is there anywhere to read the actual dialogue the anagram guys are saying? I can get the gist of it, but I'd like to be able to read the actual words, and my anagram solver is spitting up its guts :p

Tizoc

Is there anywhere to read the actual dialogue the anagram guys are saying? I can get the gist of it, but I'd like to be able to read the actual words, and my anagram solver is spitting up its guts :p

They can be anagrams of whatever you want them to be.
They don't HAVE to make sense within the reader's understanding.

Cheska

Sorry to hear that.

Now I'm unreasonably paranoid about my Hawkgirl statue on Friday...

Hawkgirl hasn't really had any problems. You should be fine :)

I tried telling you all.

I never listen ;_;

:( Wonder if I should cancel her from BBTS and try Amazon since it'll be easier to return.

Looking at the few auctions on Ebay that have pictures of it unboxed...is it mostly the red belt/trim on the jersey that's the problem?

If it's bad enough the solution may just be seeing if you can return it for a refund or credit.

i'm still in the "dread" stage, batwoman statue missed my monthly shipment so i'll probably have to wait until early december to get it from DCBS. I'm also slowly accepting this paint bump on Harley black and white's chin, though still thinking on trying one exchange from Amazon. I might be done statue buying outside of amazing things i can't pass up, probably not pre-ordering the Timm Wonder Woman art of war one.

Amazon is actually where I ordered her from. I went from BBTS to eBay (because I wanted her sooner). And after waiting a week for it to ship, and having a terrible experience with the seller, I asked for a refund and ordered from Amazon. Problems are everywhere, the worst is the hair. Black splotches all over, incredibly spotty and inconsistent paint lines, some smudges on the arms. I'm not generally that picky about paint issues, but this one is baaaaad. What makes it worse is that the Catwoman I got looks spectacular next to this one.

Sooooo.......... I may have just bought this:

I've always liked this one, and she looks great in the Youtube unboxings I've watched.

Nice choice! I love mine <3

They can be anagrams of whatever you want them to be.
They don't HAVE to make sense within the reader's understanding.

That's... that's not how anagrams work.

It's just that the first one pretty clearly says "Happening?", so I kinda assumed there was some actual dialogue in there.

Also, I'm pretty sure this one dude is actually John Constantine. Same personality, same skillset, all that's different is the hair. Trenchcoat Brigade indeed.

It's just that the first one pretty clearly says "Happening?", so I kinda assumed there was some actual dialogue in there.

Also, I'm pretty sure this one dude is actually John Constantine. Same personality, same skillset, all that's different is the hair. Trenchcoat Brigade indeed.

The anagrams were fun to do but I didn't get all of them. Looked up the others on this page.

http://userpages.monmouth.com/~colonel/police.html

As for Kipling, I understand that Morrison initially wanted to use Constantine but then Editorial pulled permission.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/26/comic-book-legends-revealed-390/

Also, how cool was that The Painting That Ate Paris arc!

Tizoc

IIRC, the character was indeed based on Constantine but I think Morrison couldn't use him?
I never bothered to unravel their anagrams since...this is a Grant Morrison comic and crazy shit happen in it.
One thing I do remember is that some of their lines has them say a sentence where the first letter of each word make up the word NOWHERE.

The anagrams were fun to do but I didn't get all of them. Looked up the others on this page.

http://userpages.monmouth.com/~colonel/police.html

As for Kipling, I understand that Morrison initially wanted to use Constantine but then Editorial pulled permission.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/10/26/comic-book-legends-revealed-390/

Also, how cool was that The Painting That Ate Paris arc!

Huh, thanks.

And it was SO DAMN COOL! Leading the Horseman into the Dada-painting was brilliant. Wraps everything up in such a fantastic little bow. Ditto having the Brotherhood trapped in the painting themselves, because of course that's where they'd end up. It's a perfect resolution to the arc.

IIRC, the character was indeed based on Constantine but I think Morrison couldn't use him?
I never bothered to unravel their anagrams since...this is a Grant Morrison comic and crazy shit happen in it.
One thing I do remember is that some of their lines has them say a sentence where the first letter of each word make up the word NOWHERE.

And yeah, Kipling is 100% a Constantine expy, right down to the dress sense. I don't know why they bothered denying permission, he used the character anyway.

Tizoc

Huh, thanks.

And it was SO DAMN COOL! Leading the Horseman into the Dada-painting was brilliant. Wraps everything up in such a fantastic little bow. Ditto having the Brotherhood trapped in the painting themselves, because of course that's where they'd end up. It's a perfect resolution to the arc.

And yeah, Kipling is 100% a Constantine expy, right down to the dress sense. I don't know why they bothered denying permission, he used the character anyway.

IIRC Constantine was created by Alan Moore correct? Wonder if at the time the DC editors were aware of the tensions between the two :p

Top Bottom