• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

I'm kind of confused about where to start reading X-Men. Apparently Dark Phoenix Saga is supposed to be really good so I want to read that, but I don't want to just jump in there and be really confused about half the things happening, so what's a good place to start that leads into Dark Phoenix Saga? And what's some good X-Men stuff to read in general?

I like exposition and I'm really not a fan of going "Wait who is this? What are they talking about now? When did that happen?". Any help is much appreciated.

Owzers

I like Bendis Uncanny X-humans more than Fallout 4, it's decided. I put a couple hours into it today and it looks awful on ps4 and i've forgotten how much i don't care about that series, everyone should be a ghoul. The factory that your first side mission takes place in to kill some raiders is a mess.

Foofaraw

I'm kind of confused about where to start reading X-Men. Apparently Dark Phoenix Saga is supposed to be really good so I want to read that, but I don't want to just jump in there and be really confused about half the things happening, so what's a good place to start that leads into Dark Phoenix Saga? And what's some good X-Men stuff to read in general?

I like exposition and I'm really not a fan of going "Wait who is this? What are they talking about now? When did that happen?". Any help is much appreciated.

OOOOOOOOOHHH!!!! Claremont is so good!

Start with Giant Size X-Men. After that, Uncanny X-men 94. That's where the X-men that became the comic behemoths started. The Silver Age stuff is pretty bad, except for the couple issues that Neil Adams did art on.

Alternatively, you'll probably be fine to just read the Dark Phoenix Saga. Here is a comics alliance article for you. http://comicsalliance.com/x-men-comics-where-to-start/

You can also just start reading New Mutants and be happy to know you are reading some of the best Marvel comics from the 80s. So good.

I really need to dive more into 007, I have only seen the Craig movies.
Tomorrow Never Dies, my friend. Tomorrow Never Dies.
I support your placing of Infinity
VOLTRON
Gauntlet.
Absolutely. Babs coming in is like an end-of-issue "OH FUCK" hype moment.

GOD DAMNIT, I SAID DON'T MAKE ME WANT THIS
You wanted this before it existed
We should use this as next months thread title.
+1
I like Bendis Uncanny X-humans more than Fallout 4, it's decided. I put a couple hours into it today and it looks awful on ps4 and i've forgotten how much i don't care about that series, everyone should be a ghoul. The factory that your first side mission takes place in to kill some raiders is a mess.

It's a good book. Had some dope ass moments.

Start with Giant Size X-Men. After that, Uncanny X-men 94. That's where the X-men that became the comic behemoths started. The Silver Age stuff is pretty bad, except for the couple issues that Neil Adams did art on.

Alternatively, you'll probably be fine to just read the Dark Phoenix Saga. Here is a comics alliance article for you. http://comicsalliance.com/x-men-comics-where-to-start/

You can also just start reading New Mutants and be happy to know you are reading some of the best Marvel comics from the 80s. So good.
Correction: Claremont WAS so good. His style hasn't aged well, and if you read anything released by him in the past decade, it's rough.

Megatron

You have to read the proteus saga before the dark Phoenix saga. Not only is it incredible, but it sets it up. Really the whole Claremont era is must reading from 94-180 or so.

So yeah, if you can afford it, you could get the first uncanny x-men omnibus which takes you all the way through the proteus saga. Then you're introduced and caught up enough to go into the dark Phoenix saga, which is quickly followed by the awesome days of future past.

If you can't afford it, the cheapest way is probably the digital versions. The marvel masterworks editions collect about ten issues each, amazon has them for around $10 each on their kindle store.

Correction: Claremont WAS so good. His style hasn't aged well, and if you read anything released by him in the past decade, it's rough.

Yeah, but his old stuff still holds up and is wonderful.

Megatron

Comixology has a Thor sale going right now and the whole Loki series. Is that whole series good? I just bought and read the first two issues and they're great. Not sure I want to drop $17 all at once but maybe I need to...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Comixology has a Thor sale going right now and the whole Loki series. Is that whole series good? I just bought and read the first two issues and they're great. Not sure I want to drop $17 all at once but maybe I need to...

Ive read up to Axis and I love it

Sandfox

From what I remember Loki was supposedly a good read.

I would pick up the entire female Thor run, but then I remember how the one issue I read made me angry.

Foofaraw

If you can't afford it, the cheapest way is probably the digital versions. The marvel masterworks editions collect about ten issues each, amazon has them for around $10 each on their kindle store.

They are also pretty much all on Marvel Unlimited. No excuses not to read this awesome stuff!

I haven't read any newer Claremont, I'm not going to be mad if he did stay as amazing forever.

Look at this cool art Ed made for me!

Fpw07Jf.jpg

Megatron

They are also pretty much all on Marvel Unlimited. No excuses not to read this awesome stuff!

I haven't read any newer Claremont, I'm not going to be mad if he did stay as amazing forever.

!

Oh right, marvel unlimited. If those books are all on there, then yes, that's the cheapest way to read them all.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
LIST!

I HATE FAIRYLAND #2
RAT QUEENS #13
TOKYO GHOST #3
DEADPOOL #2

MANIFEST DESTINY #8
TMNT # 5

Last chance for Deadpool. First one was super boring and unfunny.

LIST!

Telos #2
Martian Manhunter #6
Doctor Fate #6
Bizarro #6
Batman: Europa #1
Batman & Robin Eternal #7
Action Comics #46
Archie #3 (that's out this week, right?)

reading Avengers World on MU. Man I wish they could have kept a better writer than Barberie on this title. Hickmans Avengers set up is ripe for other writers to come in and kill it but no. this title was much better before Axis when Spencer was on it.

Barberie's humor doesnt stick. his dialogue is elementary and a couple of his scenes are either pointless or they are so thin they add nothing.

the art is really good though and the story on the surface is still interesting so im still reading.

just read A Force #1

sharknado tried to kill my friends and family

yes. i like this book. i want more.

i have some minor complaints about the coloring but overall it was really solid

Owzers

The Eva Uncanny Bendis annual issue (related spoiler for Uncanny Avengers' previous run):
I don't like when writers give people kids to show time jumps or change, you know it's going to end poorly. Same thing happened in Uncanny Avengers

I'm reading a lot of MU stuff lately, mainly Bendis, but i think i'm acting out in defiance of not having an ipad pro. Oh, you're going to be a new tablet? Well i have a tablet, and i'm totally using it.

Owzers

her helmet looks like she has a mohawk. Also, the paint around her eyes is going to look nothing like that/terrible if i buy it.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Should I read the entirety of Sandman in Volumes, or are the named arcs the way to go? Is there much overlap?

I think the Volumes pretty much are the named arcs, aren't they? It's one continuing story so I'd go by volume. You'll want the whole lot anyway.

VanWinkle

So I'm about halfway through the first volume of Gotham Central. I've just been busy, and it's more dense in dialog than the stuff I normally read, so it's taking awhile. Fantastic, wonderful book, though.

The art style is pretty interesting. Very flat muted coloring, with clean simple sketch lines, never giving more detail than the scene requires, and dead simple panel design. It's effective in furthering the plot, and has great direction, facial expressions, and character design. It's clearly an experienced artist, purposely going with a basic style. It just isn't the kind that ever makes you stare at it or say "wow." Nothing wrong with that.

Messi

Two new statues arrived for me today!

B&W Harley Quinn by Dini
v5sUkiy.jpg

Bombshell Catwoman
evFXByQ.jpg

Both are lovely, especially Catwoma. Great paintwork on both. Not a single blemish.

You have to read the proteus saga before the dark Phoenix saga. Not only is it incredible, but it sets it up. Really the whole Claremont era is must reading from 94-180 or so.

So yeah, if you can afford it, you could get the first uncanny x-men omnibus which takes you all the way through the proteus saga. Then you're introduced and caught up enough to go into the dark Phoenix saga, which is quickly followed by the awesome days of future past.

Thanks! So what's the order here? Uncanny X-men omnibus vol. 1 > Dark Phoenix Saga > Days of Future Past? Where does omnibus vol 2 fit in here?

MG310

Two new statues arrived for me today!

B&W Harley Quinn by Dini
v5sUkiy.jpg

Bombshell Catwoman
evFXByQ.jpg

Both are lovely, especially Catwoman. Great paintwork on both. Not a single blemish.

BBTS shipped my Batwoman, I'm sure she's awful and I'll get treated like a criminal for requesting a return.

Need to order that Catwoman..she was 88 on Amazon over the weekend but jumped back up to 107.

Messi

Love that! Excellent Retro approach to the design. Didn't know Paul Dini was an artist... we talking the same guy?

Yeah its Paul Dini, this is the original design they were going with for Harley in Batman TAS pre now classic outfit. He didn't draw it. I am fairly sure that was Bruce Timm but the statue is credited to Dini for some reason.

I don't know what that feels like and find it offensive to read.

I threw that in just for you :p

That's weird, I always thought Why I Hate Saturn was published as a OGN

Think it was originally. Looks like Baker is republishing it into 3 volumes only it's not under Vertigo now.

Just went ahead and ordered the TPB (had to settle for a Used copy... but it was cheap) along with You Are Here.

Owzers

Yeah its Paul Dini, this is the original design they were going with for Harley in Batman TAS pre now classic outfit. He didn't draw it. I am fairly sure that was Bruce Timm but the statue is credited to Dini for some reason.

I threw that in just for you :p

this must be what it feels like when people mock the Rockets.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Awesome! I can see why they'd change it, despite the fact that it's a cool look. Keeping all the lines on the tights from looking too swimmy/inconsistent would probably be a pain, not to mention the checker pattern is just asking for painting errors. Still, it's a great design.

Yeah, but his old stuff still holds up and is wonderful.
All of this is truth
Well then you might be mad

Messi

this must be what it feels like when people mock the Rockets.

You reap what you sow

Awesome! I can see why they'd change it, despite the fact that it's a cool look. Keeping all the lines on the tights from looking too swimmy/inconsistent would probably be a pain, not to mention the checker pattern is just asking for painting errors. Still, it's a great design.

Yeah I absolutely love the design.

Shaanyboi

Banned
While tensions are running high after the horrible tragedy last week, I thought I'd share my appreciation of a DC D-lister who I'd absolutely love to see more of, especially now when a positive character like this is kinda needed.

Bilal Asselah a.k.a. Nightrunner

latest

While tensions are running high after the horrible tragedy last week, I thought I'd share my appreciation of a DC D-lister who I'd absolutely love to see more of, especially now when a positive character like this is kinda needed.

Bilal Asselah a.k.a. Nightrunner

latest

I really loved his costume. Would definitely be glad to see more of him.

Top Bottom