• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Messi

I might have to give this a go.

Female-led cape books are a thing these days.

Might Thor
Ms Marvel
Spider-Woman
Spider-Gwen
Silk
Angela
Catwoman
Harley
Starfire
Wonder Woman
Batgirl

Lots of powerful female heroes on team cape books, too.
I wouldn't even say that non-big 2 titles have a better ratio of female-led series.

Skip the first few issues of spiderverse team up stuff. Its shit and they shouldnt have started that book there. But it improves dramatically after. Plus land is on the art for the first issues. Art is much better after he leaves.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Y'all don't buy enough books. The industry is gonna fail because of you guys. Get it together.

What more do you want, Messi? WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?

GET YA LISTS OUT, GET YA LISTS OUT, GET YA LISTS OUT FOR THE LADS!

Action Comics #46
Batman And Robin Eternal #7
Batman Europa #1
Martian Manhunter #6

Astonishing Ant-Man #2
Black Knight #1
Captain America Sam Wilson #3
Deadpool #2
Extraordinary X-Men #2
Mighty Thor #1
New Avengers #3
Star Wars #12
Star Wars Vader Down #1
Star Lord #1
Uncanny Inhumans #2

Are the Transformer comics decent?

Messi

What more do you want, Messi? WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?

LIST OF THIS WEEK AINT SO BAD EH?

Batman & Robin #7
Batman Europa #1
Catwoman a celebration of 75 years HC
Clean Room #2
Earth 2 Society #6
Harley Quinn #22
Martian Manhunter #6
Secret Six #8

Jem & the Holograms #9

The Beauty #4
Huck #1
I Hate Fairyland #2
Pretty Deadly #6
Rat Queens #13
Shutter #17
Tokyo Ghost #3

A-Force Vol 00: Warzones
Astonishing Ant Man #2
Captain America Sam Wilson #3
Captain Marvel & The Carol Corps TP
Deadpool #2
Extraordinary X-Men #2
Mighty Thor #1
Ms Marvel #1
New Avengers #3
Secret Wars Too #1
Spider-Woman #1
Star Lord #1
Uncanny Inhumans #2

Lumberjanes to the max edition vol 1
Pen and Ink: Six Gun Gorilla

DO YOUR PART

Lashley

Thats not a busy week man. I am not rich also. Quite the opposite lol.

Hahahaha no...digital comics for life. I don't throw my books away. They sit in the cloud.

Poor student? I know that feel

also:

wDKZC9p.gif

Hahahaha no...digital comics for life. I don't throw my books away. They sit in the cloud.

Where you will never read them again. And when the nuclear apocalypse comes, you will never be able to download them again.

Yes I am playing a lot of Fallout 4, why do you ask?

Messi

Didn't you just kill someone for clothes the other day?

I have a pretty dress (Agatha's Dress), a jeans / undershirt outfit and a shirt / slacks outfit that I use in towns.

I did but I am sick of those clothes now. I use the clothes everywhere. I don't pick up armor

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Secret Wars #2 was fucking amazing. A-Force #1 was pretty cool. Secret Wars will probably be my new AoA (AoA is my favorite event ever)

Also im so behind on MU that I decided to only read the Secret Wars stuff as they add it, continue on to ANAD stuff and ill catch up on all the other stuff before it (im like 4 months / issues behind on every comic)...one day.

Skip the first few issues of spiderverse team up stuff. Its shit and they shouldnt have started that book there. But it improves dramatically after. Plus land is on the art for the first issues. Art is much better after he leaves.

I wonder how newbie friendly the Spider-Woman relaunch will be. The preview looks not bad.

Lashley

Secret Wars #2 was fucking amazing. A-Force #1 was pretty cool. Secret Wars will probably be my new AoA (AoA is my favorite event ever)

Also im so behind on MU that I decided to only read the Secret Wars stuff as they add it, continue on to ANAD stuff and ill catch up on all the other stuff before it (im like 4 months / issues behind on every comic)...one day.

Yeah, Secret Wars is amazing. My favorite recent event, Forever Evil in 2nd

I'm going to play along and post my list early this week.

Marvel Comics
Astonishing Ant-Man #2
The Mighty Thor #1
Ms. Marvel #1

DC Comics
Batman '66 #29

Image Comics
Huck #1 (maybe)
Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #4
Tokyo Ghost #3

Other Publishers
Godzilla in Hell #5
Public Relations #3

Messi

But if a bad guy punches her in the stomach, he'll be a baby murderer

True but the book is lighthearted and they are making jokes about her needing to rest. They wont go that route I don't think. I dont think they are that stupid.

Rockets are playing well so far tonight. That makes a change.

commercial + tyler breeze vs r. truth = All New X-Men #33 read. Between this and Uncanny i'm greatly preferring Uncanny, nothing is really going on with the young squad.

The later issues of All-New made me lose interest. I think Uncanny was the stronger book overall. I mean, it had Eva Bell so it automatically wins.

Alright y'all, I need some suggestions on Christmas gifts.

My SO's sister is a freshman in college and loves the MCU and wants to get into some Marvel comics.

I'm thinking less individual issues and more collections / omnibuses.

Personally I was leaning toward Thor God of Thunder Vol. 1-2 and then Thor Goddess of Thunder Vol. 1-2 (because both series are great), Ms. Marvel (Kamela Khan) Vol. 1-4 (because Secret Wars) even though Vol. 4 comes out in December.

Any other suggestions for current / recent Marvel collections I could look into?

secret wars is definitely my favorite event ever. it would have to crash super hard in the last 2 issues to mess up my enjoyment of it.

spider island was pretty damn good too

My SO's sister is a freshman in college and loves the MCU and wants to get into some Marvel comics.

Personally I was leaning toward Thor God of Thunder Vol. 1-2 and then Thor Goddess of Thunder Vol. 1-2 (because both series are great), Ms. Marvel (Kamela Khan) Vol. 1-4 (because Secret Wars) even though Vol. 4 comes out in December.

Any other suggestions for current / recent Marvel collections I could look into?
those are rock solid choices. are there specific characters she likes?

Messi

Are you ordering online? use instocktrades.com for cheap prices and you can get Ms Marvel Vol 4 this week for half off.

Those are great choices btw. But thor is one long story vol 1-4 I believe and then thor goddess of thunder 1-2.

Look into Squirrel Girl, and no I am not joking it is legit great.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction is a good choice. Just came out in omnibus format too!

Squirrel Girl is fantastic too. I believe there's a trade for it.

Aizo

Banned
Get on my level m8.

Erica Henderson is a lovely cartoonist and her talent varies greatly. The art is great in my opinion but taste is subjective. Her stuff is beautiful uncolored. Here is a page I own:
I think it's the lips. I'm honestly not usually so shallow, but I really don't like it. I'm sure the series is fun, but looking at those faces on every panel does not seem like an enjoyable experience for me.

Messi

Am I the only one really turned off by the Squirrel Girl art? Is it better than it seems?

Her art isnt for everyone but it absolutely fits the book. I have lost count of the amount of times I have lost my shit laughing at a derpy face after a joke. Or some stupid visual gag. She is really good at cartooning.

Lashley

Yup. There are two concurrent series. They cross over briefly for a few issues but I only follow one of them.

Will check the one you recommended out now, thanks!

Is it newbie friendly? I don't know a lot about the lore

Zombine

Banned
I think it's the lips. I'm honestly not usually so shallow, but I really don't like it. I'm sure the series is fun, but looking at those faces on every panel does not seem like an enjoyable experience for me.

I understand. I'm just a really big fan. I love books like Squirrel Girl and Lumberjanes.

Messi

Get on my level m8.

Erica Henderson is a lovely cartoonist and her talent varies greatly. The art is great in my opinion but taste is subjective. Her stuff is beautiful uncolored and her linework is exquisite. Here is a page I own:

I really admire her talent.

Can you post the picture of the page you bought for me at NYCC and you have been totally hiding from me?

Am I the only one really turned off by the Squirrel Girl art? Is it better than it seems?

You're not alone. I'm not with you, but I know many are.

Erica Henderson is the great divider. It seems, generally speaking, you either love her or hate her. I adore Squirrel Girl. I think the art is delightfully cartoony. A perfect fit for the humour and overall good-spirited vibe of the book. But I don't think anyone should suffer through a book they don't like. There are too many good comics out there.

Erica Henderson is a lovely cartoonist and her talent varies greatly. The art is great in my opinion but taste is subjective. Her stuff is beautiful uncolored and her linework is exquisite. Here is a page I own:

I really admire her talent.

You own an awesome page, dude! I'm so jealous. My girl is like.."It's not coloured. I'd want to own a coloured page." #Facepalm.

Aizo

Banned
I have Descender vol. 1, Monstress issue 1, The Fade Out vol. 1, and Southern Bastards vol. 1 in my cart right now. Should I pull the trigger?

The other ongoing things I'm reading right now include Saga, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly, Nailbiter, Birthright, Plutona, Tokyo Ghost, The Wicked + The Divine, Low, Rat Queens, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Of all of these, the ones I enjoy most are probably Birthright, Saga, Low, and Deadly Class. So, if there are any things you all would recommend to me that I'm not currently reading, I may want to switch things around in my cart. I've been considering reading Irredeemable, Paper Girls, Revival, Bedlam, and Mind MGMT (although I didn't love the first issue). If there is anything that's a must-read, and I'm not reading it, recommend away!
Her art isnt for everyone but it absolutely fits the book. I have lost count of the amount of times I have lost my shit laughing at a derpy face after a joke. Or some stupid visual gag. She is really good at cartooning.
Maybe I just need to change the way I'm thinking about it. If I thought of it as more cartoony and funny, I could probably get into it. It'd probably be similar to the way I think of the art in One Piece. I understand when people don't like that, but I find it to be amusing and charming. Thanks for the responses on that, everyone.

Messi

I have Descender vol. 1, Monstress issue 1, The Fade Out vol. 1, and Southern Bastards vol. 1 in my cart right now. Should I pull the trigger?

The other ongoing things I'm reading right now include Saga, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly, Nailbiter, Birthright, Plutona, Tokyo Ghost, The Wicked + The Divine, Low, Rat Queens, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Of all of these, the ones I enjoy most are probably Birthright, Saga, Low, and Deadly Class. So, if there are any things you all would recommend to me that I'm not currently reading, I may want to switch things around in my cart. I've been considering reading Irredeemable, Paper Girls, and Mind MGMT (although I didn't love the first issue).

Maybe I just need to change the way I'm thinking about it. If I thought of it as more cartoony and funny, I could probably get into it. It'd probably be similar to the way I think of the art in One Piece. I understand when people don't like that, but I find it to be amusing and charming. Thanks for the responses on that, everyone.

Yeah you should pick up Paper Girls. That book is awesome so far. Other than that great pickups.

Henderson is a great cartoonist. You dont have to like the art but respect the technique

You're not alone. I'm not with you, but I know many are.

Erica Henderson is the great divider. It seems, generally speaking, you either love her or hate her. I adore Squirrel Girl. I think the art is delightfully cartoony. A perfect fit for the humour and overall good-spirited vibe of the book. But I don't think anyone should suffer through a book they don't like. There are too many good comics out there.

You own an awesome page, dude! I'm so jealous. My girl is like.."It's not coloured. I'd want to own a coloured page." #Facepalm.
pretty racist tbh

edit: goddammit teej rotate ur images this aint the stone age breh

Top Bottom