• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

those are rock solid choices. are there specific characters she likes?

Captain America is her favorite. Any good runs? I think the last one I kept up with was Reborn, and I loved that one. May pick it up for her.

Are you ordering online? use instocktrades.com for cheap prices and you can get Ms Marvel Vol 4 this week for half off.

Those are great choices btw. But thor is one long story vol 1-4 I believe and then thor goddess of thunder 1-2.

Look into Squirrel Girl, and no I am not joking it is legit great.

Sweet. I have Thor 1-4 and I feel 3-4 weren't as great as 1-2, so to save some money I figured I'd just leave it at 1-2.

I totally forgot about Squirrel Girl. That'd be hype.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction is a good choice. Just came out in omnibus format too!

Squirrel Girl is fantastic too. I believe there's a trade for it.

Also forgot about Hawkeye.

I think both Thor runs, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and maybe a Cap run or two are enough to make for a good set of gifts.

Messi

Captain America is her favorite. Any good runs? I think the last one I kept up with was Reborn, and I loved that one. May pick it up for her.

Sweet. I have Thor 1-4 and I feel 3-4 weren't as great as 1-2, so to save some money I figured I'd just leave it at 1-2.

I totally forgot about Squirrel Girl. That'd be hype.

Also forgot about Hawkeye.

I think both Thor runs, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and maybe a Cap run or two are enough to make for a good set of gifts.

First volume of Falcon Cap is awesome. But its Falcon.

Messi

I wanna wait for a trade, because I only buy singles when I really have to, but it'll be a long wait, huh? :(

Yeah the second issue just shipped and if they hit deadlines each month the minimum you will be waiting is 3-4 months.

First volume of Falcon Cap is awesome. But its Falcon.

My SO loves Falcon. I might get that for her :p

Yeah the Brubaker run is still the great Cap story of the past decade. The Complete Collection for Winter Soldier would be good. Beefy and good value.

Squirrel Girl is great if she's down for anything comedic

She likes WS as well, so I'll get those two to round it out.

This ain't gonna be cheap, but it's for a good cause. Comics.

Messi

My SO loves Falcon. I might get that for her :p

She likes WS as well, so I'll get those two to round it out.

This ain't gonna be cheap, but it's for a good cause. Comics.

instocktrades bro. free shipping over 50 dollars which you will hit. most books are 40-50% off and they pack books like they are newborn babies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Alright y'all, I need some suggestions on Christmas gifts.

My SO's sister is a freshman in college and loves the MCU and wants to get into some Marvel comics.

I'm thinking less individual issues and more collections / omnibuses.

Personally I was leaning toward Thor God of Thunder Vol. 1-2 and then Thor Goddess of Thunder Vol. 1-2 (because both series are great), Ms. Marvel (Kamela Khan) Vol. 1-4 (because Secret Wars) even though Vol. 4 comes out in December.

Any other suggestions for current / recent Marvel collections I could look into?

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Alias A.K.A. Jessica Jones would be timely as well.

Ms. Marvel is a good call.

The recent Black Widow run was good, though feelings about Edmonson are bound to colour your perception on the matter.

Ant-Man by Nick Spencer is funny as hell.

I thought Silk was a pretty endearing read as well. Vol 0 comes out December, I think.

ElNarez

Banned
Juan Ferreyra on Suicide Squad makes me feel better about y'all sleeping on Gotham by Midnight like assholes and getting it canned in the process.

VanWinkle

Man you guys, Dark Horse is such a beast with their books and paper quality, and Marvel is such a lowly commoner.

Look at this 500 page DH book compared to this 800 page Marvel book.

rsz_imag0131.jpg

Alright y'all, I need some suggestions on Christmas gifts.

My SO's sister is a freshman in college and loves the MCU and wants to get into some Marvel comics.

I'm thinking less individual issues and more collections / omnibuses.

Personally I was leaning toward Thor God of Thunder Vol. 1-2 and then Thor Goddess of Thunder Vol. 1-2 (because both series are great), Ms. Marvel (Kamela Khan) Vol. 1-4 (because Secret Wars) even though Vol. 4 comes out in December.

Any other suggestions for current / recent Marvel collections I could look into?
Just dive right in and grab her Age of Ultron.

It's just like the movie.

Don't do it unless you want her to cry.
So I'm going to read all of Earth 2 soon. Like later tonight.

I hope it's decent.

New 52? Because it's godlike.

antispin

Hey folks! Quick question: does the MCU sub go on sale around Black Friday? Thinking of jumping into the $99 plan. Should I be waiting? Thanks!

instocktrades bro. free shipping over 50 dollars which you will hit. most books are 40-50% off and they pack books like they are newborn babies.

Thanks for showing me this site! Totally worth it.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction

Ms. Marvel is a good call.

Ant-Man by Nick Spencer is funny as hell.

Got the Hawkeye omnibus cause it's great.
Passed on Ant-Man for the Brubaker Cap Reborn and Winter Soldier series, since she's a big Cap fan.

Going to get the second issue of Squirrel Girl and the 4th of Ms. Marvel when they release.

All in all, 5 series, 3 of which will be complete runs. Not bad for Christmas, right?

Thanks again, y'all.

Owzers

Hey folks! Quick question: does the MCU sub go on sale around Black Friday? Thinking of jumping into the $99 plan. Should I be waiting? Thanks!

the sales have been quite infrequent lately, i'd probably wait for something but it's not always sales on annual subs sometimes it's just a month for $1. I presume something will go on sale by Christmas.

antispin

the sales have been quite infrequent lately, i'd probably wait for something but it's not always sales on annual subs sometimes it's just a month for $1. I presume something will go on sale by Christmas.

Kk. I just googled some coupons and it seems they do a 30% off on annuals, albeit infrequently, as you mentioned. I think I'll wait for a few months, just to be sure.

Thanks.

Owzers

i don't like Fallout 4 that much, though tonight's play session was better than last nights where i was stuck in a complex building.

Rockets lose to the Celtics.

Hearthstone is just frustrating.

Statue paint.

But Bendis books, Bendis books are the things i like right now. I don't know how to feel about this. Maybe a Trump presidency will start making sense tomorrow.

frye

Megahex is a riot. Owl gets fucked over so much lol

Owl's an owl named Owl, fuck his boring ass

At least Werewolf Jones has a last name!

e: i think what i like the most about the megg & mogg comics is that for as funny as they often are there's also something inherently sad about the whole situation (which he plays up in some strips more than others, especially the ones that get the most #reblogs on tumblr.com)

Shaanyboi

Banned
So in my recent digging through of my backlog, I'm enjoying the shit out of Paul Dini's Detective Comics run. I'd read Heart of Hush, Streets of Gotham, Zatanna, obviously. But just reading his stand-alone villain stories has been exceptionally enjoyable.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Read They're Not Like Us vol 1 yesterday and it's LEGIT.

25275114.jpg

If you liked Riot At Xavier from Morrison's run on New X-Men just go for it.

kmfdmpig

So in my recent digging through of my backlog, I'm enjoying the shit out of Paul Dini's Detective Comics run. I'd read Heart of Hush, Streets of Gotham, Zatanna, obviously. But just reading his stand-alone villain stories has been exceptionally enjoyable.

That Zatanna run was great. That along with Power Girl were some good comics that both ended before their time.

Tizoc

I can't read every post bro

Got the first 10 issues of more than meets the eye on backorder, will check that link out too, thanks

Hope you like it :)
It might take a while for it to sink in but if you like character focus, characterization and reading in general you'll love the series.

Note that a few later issues' art won't appeal t a lot of people but the writing remains strong.

Vyer

Will check the one you recommended out now, thanks!

Is it newbie friendly? I don't know a lot about the lore

Hmm...probably. How much do you know about Transformers in general? I'd say knowing the basics of Cybertron and Autobots and Decepticons is fine.

One of the best things about the series is how well Roberts fleshes out the characters, beyond just the 'big names' like Prime. So there's not a lot of background required, but it takes a little time to get things established. All the bots may kind of run together at first.

I actually went in blind with MTMTE and went back and read Last Stand and the Death of Optimus Prime later, but if you can I'd maybe recommend reading those two first. It's not really required though.

Tizoc

Hmm...probably. How much do you know about Transformers in general? I'd say knowing the basics of Cybertron and Autobots and Decepticons is fine.

One of the best things about the series is how well Roberts fleshes out the characters, beyond just the 'big names' like Prime. So there's not a lot of background required, but it takes a little time to get things established. All the bots may kind of run together at first.

I actually went in blind with MTMTE and went back and read Last Stand and the Death of Optimus Prime later, but if you can I'd maybe recommend reading those two first. It's not really required though.

Well put, but at least Last Stand should be read first since MTMTE references it.
As I wrote follow the link I posted and that reading order will help :)

tim1138

JSA Sale on CMX!

They had JSA on sale before but this is the first time Justice Society (the follow up post infinity crisis series) has been on sale. I recommend just getting the Johns books. It really drops off into a mess later
https://www.comixology.com/JSA-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/8800?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

I'd have been all over this sale if I didn't have the omnibi. And just to reiterate, don't bother with Justice Society (2006-2011) after issue 28 (when Johns left).

Oh they also have the Golden Age All-Star Comics stuff, nice. I might have to cherry pick some of those issues

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Honestly just the basics from the old cartoons and those movies from Michael Bay

For the first time in 2 years of comic reading, I am behind majorly on weekly comics. I've been watching Clone Wars for the first time and I'm in the middle of Season 4. Probably only read the Star Wars books tomorrow.

Anyone know a good place to get the Uncanny X-Men omnibus that ships to Europe? Everywhere I look it's either not in stock or doesn't ship here.

edit: Nevermind, I found something, that was a pain in the ass.

Top Bottom