• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

zeeaykay

Is Bone better than RASL? I've been meaning to read Bone but stumbled upon a cheap copy of RASL and was pretty disappointed. Thought it was pretty shallow, so I'm a bit turned off from Jeff Smith. But I know bone is a classic, so I don't want to write it off completely.

Also curios on people's thoughts regarding Kabuki. It seems people are pretty mixed on the story, although the art is universally praised.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Is Bone better than RASL? I've been meaning to read Bone but stumbled upon a cheap copy of RASL and was pretty disappointed. Thought it was pretty shallow, so I'm a bit turned off from Jeff Smith. But I know bone is a classic, so I don't want to write it off completely.

I don't know what RASL is but Bone is very good.

You can do it next week when the iZombie omnibus comes out.

Kabuki Library editions! Second one just came out. I did that and Rosa Box set vol 3 & 4
Nah. I still have unread books from the last bulk buy of trades that I did, too, so I kind of need to hold off on speculative or archival buying.

In actual comics-reading news, I just finished Ms. Marvel #1 and Bruno says something in the flashback so I went to the previous issue and sure enough there's Mike.

You snooze you lose, Kamala.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
In actual comics-reading news, I just finished Ms. Marvel #1 and Bruno says something in the flashback so I went to the previous issue and sure enough there's Mike.

You snooze you lose, Kamala.

Mike is pretty great.

Then again, Kamala cowboy-riding a weaponized frog is great too.

Squire

Banned
yeah, never could get into alias myself (zzzzz) but the show's pretty all right so far though i do actually agree they didn't need to focus the entire season on the baddie

I'm interested to see how they do a second season. Like, you're saying they should've done more than the baddie, but what's the alternative? All the other stories in the book are pretty reliant on Marvel characters/concepts as plot devices. They could adapt that stuff, but then you just have sort of generic noir stories that tend to end in ways that aren't even particularly interesting, to be honest.

I don't know. I feel like the "more" that people want wouldn't actually make for a better show, but they'll have to deal with this somehow if they do a season 2, so I guess we'll (probably) see.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Still catching up on this week's comics.

Silk: I loved Jameson in this. Not really much of a spoiler, but just to be safe.
His inability to imagine that Silk is actually a villain is a great contrast to his ability to see Spider-Man as a hero. Would rather believe that Mockingbird continues to be a Skrull years later. Hilarious.

SHIELD: I thought it was one of the weaker issues, but still not bad. I wish Waid would remain on this book going forward, instead of them relaunching as part of ANAD.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur: I thought this was really charming. I am not really familial with Moon Boy at all and the only exposure I have had to Devil Dinosaur was Planet Hulk during Battleworld. That being said I really liked what I saw and want to see what they do with Devil Dinosaur going forward, especially if they are going to keep the series in the modern time.

Robin: Son of Batman: I have really enjoyed the series, especially Goliath. I haven't been paying that much attention, but I assume this series is continuing after Robin Wars ends?

Black Magic continued to be good, as did Squirrel Girl, the latter of which I think should be a lot of fun with the new time period. I think I am going to drop Guardians of the Galaxy at this point. I felt it has been the weakest of the Marvel books I have read during the relaunch.

In one of the Kirby documentaries the near-unanimous reaction of the artists they interview is "i didn't get kirby when i was a kid but now i love him!" which I think is pretty funny for such a titanic figure
i get that tbh

its in part because its really unlikely that old kirby books is what you get into when you start out drawing.

and even then you have to have the interest to check out older work. you have to love american comics and its history to go back and examine kirbys work and realize how great it was.

plenty of young artists dont even know how influenced they are by kirby.

moebius is still the goat but kirby is right below

zeeaykay

I see Drawn and Quarterly has a 40% off everything sale, and they're a great publisher from what I've read. They seem like the "it" publisher of indie comics, and it's overwhelming.

Here are the books that I'm interested in, maybe y'all could help focus it:

32 Stories, Berlin, Big Questions, Co-Mix, Exit Wounds, Hicksville, James Sturm's America, Jar of Fools, Louis Riel, Market Day, Over Easy, Shigeru Mizuki's Hitler, Shortcomings, Summer Blonde.

Whew. That's a lot of good comics!

iPctHlp.png

blah

This is going to sound surreal coming from me, but... I wasn't hugely impressed by this week's Omega Men. That's mostly on me, getting my hype up so high, but I really feel like this was the wrong time to slow things down.

Still, there were some really cool sequences, but Grayson and Robin, Son of Batman both had it beat this week, IMO.

I see Drawn and Quarterly has a 40% off everything sale, and they're a great publisher from what I've read. They seem like the "it" publisher of indie comics, and it's overwhelming.

Here are the books that I'm interested in, maybe y'all could help focus it:

32 Stories, Berlin, Big Questions, Co-Mix, Exit Wounds, Hicksville, James Sturm's America, Jar of Fools, Louis Riel, Market Day, Over Easy, Shigeru Mizuki's Hitler, Shortcomings, Summer Blonde.

Whew. That's a lot of good comics!

I really loved Louis Riel. And I adore Arian Tomine (Shortcomings). I read his Optic Nerve series and it hits perfect indie comic notes for me. D & Q also has a few books by Michael Deforge that you could check out. Dude is a monster with a unique, creepy style. He's done work on Adventure Time, and you can see art similarities between his work and that show.

Tizoc

Only one thing can scare off JC.

tumblr_n7kiejN8tm1tvv19co1_500.gif

I want to punch her stupid face, yeugh...

Also curios on people's thoughts regarding Kabuki. It seems people are pretty mixed on the story, although the art is universally praised.

What do you know about Bone? :p
Bone is FANTASTIC, it's an all ages book but has great characters and good humor.

frye

I'm interested to see how they do a second season. Like, you're saying they should've done more than the baddie, but what's the alternative? All the other stories in the book are pretty reliant on Marvel characters/concepts as plot devices. They could adapt that stuff, but then you just have sort of generic noir stories that tend to end in ways that aren't even particularly interesting, to be honest.

I don't know. I feel like the "more" that people want wouldn't actually make for a better show, but they'll have to deal with this somehow if they do a season 2, so I guess we'll (probably) see.

I've heard in the comic it's a bit more of a procedural before it goes into the Purple Man stuff, which is a format that could've lent itself to a tv adaptation. I guess it could've devolved into generic noir stuff but I feel like we could've spent some time with her as a character before going into the source of her trauma. I do like the show as it is though, and it's mostly successful at what it's trying to do even though it has a much tougher job than Daredevil (which only needed to get the tone right and shout "GENTRIFICATION!!!!" every few minutes to get people to dig it [which i did])

i get that tbh

its in part because its really unlikely that old kirby books is what you get into when you start out drawing.

and even then you have to have the interest to check out older work. you have to love american comics and its history to go back and examine kirbys work and realize how great it was.

plenty of young artists dont even know how influenced they are by kirby.

moebius is still the goat but kirby is right below

Yeah, there's really not any book that you can just put on your shelf and look at like Moebius either. His work is too embedded in the American floppy tradition with the only major exception being The Hunger Dogs iirc

I really loved Louis Riel. And I adore Arian Tomine (Shortcomings). I read his Optic Nerve series and it hits perfect indie comic notes for me. D & Q also has a few books by Michael Deforge that you could check out. Dude is a monster with a unique, creepy style. He's done work on Adventure Time, and you can see art similarities between his work and that show.

I liked the latest Optic Nerve but hated the shit out of Shortcomings, though I don't know how much of it was because it hit close to home in some of my more self-loathing moments.

also zeeaykay: 32 Stories is fascinating because most of it isn't very good but Tomine matures incredibly quickly and you can see his progression in art and writing in a very clear way in that collection. Not necessarily something I would recommend starting with but it's a good book to go back to after you've read some of his later stuff

Boogiepop

So, trying to plot out the rest of my Black Friday/Cyber Monday-ing, and the Fantagraphics sale is of definite interest for me when it goes up. What's shipping like from them, so I have an idea of what to expect (mainly in terms of cost)?

Also, they seriously need to hurry up and solicit volume 9 of Wandering Son. Admittedly they've been slow and had gaps before, but I'm starting to worry that maybe they dropped it. :(

Squire

Banned
I've heard in the comic it's a bit more of a procedural before it goes into the Purple Man stuff, which is a format that could've lent itself to a tv adaptation. I guess it could've devolved into generic noir stuff but I feel like we could've spent some time with her as a character before going into the source of her trauma. I do like the show as it is though, and it's mostly successful at what it's trying to do even though it has a much tougher job than Daredevil (which only needed to get the tone right and shout "GENTRIFICATION!!!!" every few minutes to get people to dig it [which i did])

Ah, I wouldn't really describe it as a procedural. It's 28 issues with 5-6 arcs that very in length. Purple Man isn't introduced until the very last arc and I felt it was a little too brief, actually. It probably played well releasing on a monthly basis, but read altogether that guy is around for a few minutes or what feels like it. The specifics of Jessica's origin story are treated the same. In that way, I'd say it leans too far in the opposite direction of the show.

I think a straight procedural format would've been bad. They don't have the assets of the fiction they need to really make that stuff interesting. Without it, you're just kinda watching Law & Order only Benson has super strength now. But I get that procedurals have appeal or they wouldn't keep making them. Just strikes me as a pretty boring alternative.

Reading Alias for the first time, and the art is... Distractingly bad. It's hard to tell people apart and there are so many times frames are just repeated verbatim, no changes to expressions or poses at all

And then Bendis got Bagley to do the Jewel scenes, which are bright and colorful and make for a good tonal contrast, but it's like Bendis wanted the book to be ugly in every aspect

Superman Lois and Clark is only 2 issues in but is so damn intriguing that it might be my favorite iteration of Supes. Having him with Lois and his son is just a fun dynamic and the fact that it's taking place as the same time as n52 Supes being outed to the world is a trip. Highly recommended.

Superman Lois and Clark is only 2 issues in but is so damn intriguing that it might be my favorite iteration of Supes. Having him with Lois and his son is just a fun dynamic and the fact that it's taking place as the same time as n52 Supes being outed to the world is a trip. Highly recommended.

Seconded, FWIW.

I do wish they'd actually touch on n52 supes getting outed, though. I don't think it's come up yet, I'd imagine a scene between the two of the would be great.

And that bit this issue where he does his best Predator impression, damn lol.

Seconded, FWIW.

I do wish they'd actually touch on n52 supes getting outed, though. I don't think it's come up yet, I'd imagine a scene between the two of the would be great.

And that bit this issue where he does his best Predator impression, damn lol.

He mentioned it in this issue that Clark was outed to the world.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished Spiderverse, I liked it, it was silly but fun. Im a big sucker for alternate universe / versions of characters tho

Squire

Banned
Reading Alias for the first time, and the art is... Distractingly bad. It's hard to tell people apart and there are so many times frames are just repeated verbatim, no changes to expressions or poses at all

And then Bendis got Bagley to do the Jewel scenes, which are bright and colorful and make for a good tonal contrast, but it's like Bendis wanted the book to be ugly in every aspect

Gaydos is not great (not bad, but not great.) I think the panel layout/coloring almost saves his life. Like he's probably not a guy I'd hunt down at a con to get a sketch/commission from.

The more I read of these early Avengers stories the more I really like Avengers. It's one of the few books that has continuity and an ever shifting group dynamic, which feels almost revelation for the time period (1960s).

To see Hawkeye moping around because Captain America quit The Avengers is great, after the months of hating him, the backforth between the pair before a mutual respect formed through battle.
The only thing I'm not too keen on right now is Black Widow's development, although overall it's been great. She went from Russian Spy hellbent on bringing Tony Stark down, to defector and Shield Agent to Hawkeye's bit on the side. She was one of the few female characters that wasn't someone's 'bit on the side', so it's a shame to see her end up this way. However, I guess this is a 'sign of the times' with women being in the background (as I'm often reminded by the Arsehole known as 'Mr. Fantastic').

The current Avengers lineup is so bare bones at the moment, they actual feel vulnerable and I'm hoping this will lead somewhere.

Ant-Man
Wasp
Hawkeye
Hercules

Vibranium

Banned

Bone is amazing, Phoney, Smiley and Fone are all great characters and grow over the course of the story.

It starts very lighthearted and then gets darker, though it still has that element of adventure.

No I signed up yesterday at that price and I'm in Ireland. 50 quid for the year is a brilliant price. I've already read about 10 issues and they haven't actually charged me yet haha.

Nice, I think that works out at just under £40 for the year, which is amazing. I've been paying £7 a month since May or so!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
great, my Note 4 is dead...because those are cheap >_>

do yeah, dont throw your phones on the bed, they might bounce off :/

Damage Control v1 #1 - #2 - This is hilarious. Bart vs Dr. Doom especially so.
Do you have a photo ID?
. And that bit with the FF
where he asks for an autograph but only from the "real" ones.

Why isn't there an ongoing by North/Henderson?

Bone and RASL are very different comics. I'm not a big fan of RASL from what little I've read of it, but Bone is one of my all-time favorites.

Owzers

Ranking my MU Recently Read series i'm going through:

Squirrel Girl
Deadpool Duggan
Uncanny X-Men
Star Wars
Silver Surfer
Loki

All New X-Men
Amazing Spider-Man
Guardians of the Galaxy
Inhuman

And separated between good things and not good things. I need to work in Ms. Marvel, stopped reading the flops at issue #10 but i still want to continue.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wonder why Sex Criminals isn't part of that big Image sale on Comixology...

Anybody here really like Shutter?

Top Bottom