• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Caught up on Midnighter. It's good. And that final page or two...even though I knew it was coming it was still a great moment.

Onto Vision...then Seven Soldiers. And the rest.
Better enjoy Vision before Tim gets it cancelled.

VanWinkle

Oh yeah, I always forget to tell you guys what I read or am reading on my tablet. I guess I don't view digital comics in the same light as physical. Anyway, I read the first book of Seven Soldiers of Victory, and it was awesome. I loved the artwork, and the stories were all interesting, too.

Done with Fourth World Omnibus 1. Considering it was running across four comics, was this one of the first ever events? Every issues had so many new things. Mister Miracle continues to be my favourite.

Doctor Bedlam with his fearsome powers.

AvTuzgO.jpg

And Don Rickles?

And damn, Kirby was writing/drawing 6 issues every month?

You know, I can understand why Kirby is so loved since he helped create so many iconic characters, but his art wasn't the most impressive stuff I've seen during this Marvel reading I've been doing.
I found the block colour backgrounds a bit lazy, certainly compared to what Jim Steranko would be offering just a few years down the line. However, I can't deny that Kirby created some classic characters.

Anyone read X-Men Season One? It's Hopeless, so I'm not expecting the world as far as the writing, but that McKelvie art is yum. There's a one use code on Amazon right now (HOLIDAY30) to get 30% off a single book. Brings X-Men down to $12.

For the record, it's not on MU for some reason.
Oh man. Amazon taking 30% extra off any book (up to $10 extra off) with promo code HOLIDAY30. I think it might be one-time use? I think.
Thanks for the heads-up on this, just used it to get the He-Man Minicomic Collection for ~$14.

Anyone read X-Men Season One? It's Hopeless, so I'm not expecting the world as far as the writing, but that McKelvie art is yum. There's a one use code on Amazon right now (HOLIDAY30) to get 30% off a single book. Brings X-Men down to $12.

For the record, it's not on MU for some reason.

I actually quite like this, if only for McKelvie's artwork and out of context gay Iceman panels

icemangay2.png

setting up that retcon years in advance!

iZombie Omnibus this week! :D

Now I own all of the singles, volumes, digital volumes, and this amazing hardcover.

Shit, totally forgot. At least my IST +2% will still be active after this week's order. What's the list price on it?

Just Cause 3 also drops next week. Something to play until they patch Fallout.

For the first time in 7 years, I actually went to a physical store for Black Friday shopping. I made it back alive.

With art like that? I believe it. :|

You know, I can understand why Kirby is so loved since he helped create so many iconic characters, but his art wasn't the most impressive stuff I've seen during this Marvel reading I've been doing.
I found the block colour backgrounds a bit lazy, certainly compared to what Jim Steranko would be offering just a few years down the line. However, I can't deny that Kirby created some classic characters.

Those panels are not indicative of all the work in the volume. Sure, some of the framing/camera distance and colouring are definitely a product of that time (just like with older movies). But there is great work in there too.

Those panels are not indicative of all the work in the volume. Sure, some of the framing/camera distance and colouring are definitely a product of that time (just like with older movies). But there is great work in there too.

I will never be a fan of Kirby art. I know that a lot of people love his stuff, but his art just doesn't appeal to my sense of aesthetics.

Zombine

Banned
Jack Kirby's use of space and shadow alone put's the dude at what I would consider the head of the comic artist pantheon. He is someone who I feel helped give science fiction comics and the silver age of Marvel comics its identity. I love him, and I would never trade his art for anything. I could look at his sketches and uncolored art all damn day.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
DKR Book 4 is about to be my post-Thankgiving death dessert. This is gonna be the best.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This Olivier Coipel artist on Spider-Verse's Amazing Spider-Man #9 is fantastic, never heard of him before

MG310

I ventured out into the wild for PS+ cards because Walmart's website is hot garbage.
Walmart wasn't the wasteland I expected...was in and out in like 20 minutes with 3 PS+ cards, Final Fantasy XIV for 8 and Dying Light for 15.

Should I just buy Heavensward for 16 from Best Buy as well?

Also my Midtown bill for this 2 weeks is going to be ridiculous. I bought 35 more blank covers since they were on sale for between .87 cents and 1.12...but now I have enough Detective Comics covers to get a collection of the Bat-family and rogues going.

Filthy Slug

I wasn't even shitting on Kirby and the defense force still comes out of the woodwork.

I don't think it's a defense force. It's people saying they genuinely enjoy and admire a really paramount and immensely creative comics creator. You came out and said you don't give a shit about his work, and they came out and said they enjoy it. What's the problem, Freeze?

Just finished the Alias omnibus. I really enjoyed it, although I expected the "big bad" to be more of a running theme through the book. Is the follow up "The Pulse" book worth reading?

For me Kirby was an acquired taste. I didn't like it when I first got into comics but heard he was a legend and respected what he did. A decade later it finally clicked with me and now I think it's great stuff

Just finished the Alias omnibus. I really enjoyed it, although I expected the "big bad" to be more of a running theme through the book. Is the follow up "The Pulse" book worth reading?
Im glad the big be wasn't a running theme. Something the show should have adopted.

I ventured out into the wild for PS+ cards because Walmart's website is hot garbage.
Walmart wasn't the wasteland I expected...was in and out in like 20 minutes with 3 PS+ cards, Final Fantasy XIV for 8 and Dying Light for 15.

PSN cards for gifts? Otherwise I don't even bother buying the physical cards anymore. Just buy the codes from Amazon.

I don't think it's a defense force. It's people saying they genuinely enjoy and admire a really paramount and immensely creative comics creator. You came out and said you don't give a shit about his work, and they came out and said they enjoy it. What's the problem, Freeze?

Yeah, but I know everyone likes Kirby. It just feels like everyone wants to pile-on in an attempt to drown out the opinion that's different.

MG310

PSN cards for gifts? Otherwise I don't even bother buying the physical cards anymore. Just buy the codes from Amazon..

My PS+ just expired and 3 month cards/codes were on sale for 10 at Walmart.com but the site kept crashing when I had the physical cards and sold out. Then I successfully ordered emailed codes from them for the same price but they kept cancelling the orders and refunding me after 5 or 10 minutes. So I ended up just going to the store.

I would have waited to renew Plus but I feel like there's going to be a pretty short window where there's a decent number of people doing Co-Op in the Bloodborne DLC.

Hagi

This Olivier Coipel artist on Spider-Verse's Amazing Spider-Man #9 is fantastic, never heard of him before

Coipel is amazing. His art on House of M and Siege is straight up fire. The latter is kind of crap but it's worth it for the art.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Coipel is amazing. His art on House of M and Siege is straight up fire. The latter is kind of crap but it's worth it for the art.

HOUSE OF M

Thank you! I knew I recognised the style from somewhere.

Man im digging Spider Verse :/ Im such a sucker for alternate dimension Marvel. This steampunk Lady Spider short story for example was my jam.

Hagi

HOUSE OF M

Thank you! I knew I recognised the style from somewhere.

Man im digging Spider Verse :/ Im such a sucker for alternate dimension Marvel. This steampunk Lady Spider short story for example was my jam.

Like most recent Marvel events I fell off Spider-verse before it finished but I did enjoy what I read. There's a lot of cool stuff in it, even if just for fleeting moments.

Squire

Banned

I finished it the other day, myself. It's not the best thing I've ever read, but I did like it. Not sure about The Pulse. It's on MU though, so I'll probably check it out myself.

Im glad the big be wasn't a running theme. Something the show should have adopted.

I feel like the show is notedly different from the source material by necessity first and foremost, but also that it's better for it. I honestly think the show is better than the comics. I don't really expect anyone here to agree though. I've skimmed the OT and the spoiler thread, haha.

frye

In one of the Kirby documentaries the near-unanimous reaction of the artists they interview is "i didn't get kirby when i was a kid but now i love him!" which I think is pretty funny for such a titanic figure

I feel like the show is notedly different from the source material by necessity first and foremost, but also that it's better for it. I honestly think the show is better than the comics. I don't really expect anyone here to agree though. I've skimmed the OT and the spoiler thread, haha.

yeah, never could get into alias myself (zzzzz) but the show's pretty all right so far though i do actually agree they didn't need to focus the entire season on the baddie

Rhaknar

If the 2099 universe is earth 928, does that mean that every moment in the future is a different "earth"?

Is 1minute after whatever happening in 616 not 616?

Am I over thinking this? >_>

I see you support Silk's murderous heel turn. How about page 10-13 where the ship sinks and they're all freezing in the middle of the ocean and she tells that dude she won't let go and then she does?

Honestly the worst thing she did in that issue was when she dissed my local sports team

I think I'm done with my Black Friday online shopping; ordered an SSD, that He-Man hardcover, a $49 Blu-Ray player, an SD card for me and a microwave as a gift for someone else. Now I'm debating whether or not I want to take a trip to the local Wal-Mart to browse the DVD/Blu-Ray offerings.

I had planned on making an IST order, but was having trouble putting together enough to justify the expense.

I think I'm done with my Black Friday online shopping; ordered an SSD, that He-Man hardcover, a $49 Blu-Ray player, an SD card for me and a microwave as a gift for someone else. Now I'm debating whether or not I want to take a trip to the local Wal-Mart to browse the DVD/Blu-Ray offerings.

I had planned on making an IST order, but was having trouble putting together enough to justify the expense.
Kabuki Library editions! Second one just came out. I did that and Rosa Box set vol 3 & 4

Top Bottom