• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Sandfox

He really didn't buuuut
a year of building expectations will do that

I actually don't think it really mattered how
he went out. The hype period was far too long, people were going to be unhappy pretty much no matter what

Kinda expecting the same thing to happen with the Thor whisper.

I'm waiting for the Thor/Odinson reveal where it turns out that he was worthy the entire time and this was just one long con by him and Fury in response to something The Watcher saw before he died.

Hah, I'm intrigued, keep me posted!

Definitely! I'm really excited to see how it turns out. Was a little unsure of who I wanted at first but I think I made a good move.

I also started Hitman by Garth Ennis and it's really great so far. Finished the first arc and Tommy is a fun protagonist and the dialogue is very down to earth and well written. I've never read anything by Ennis before (zero interest in Punisher) so I'm very impressed.

ElNarez

Banned
I don't really get why people think Cyclops
dying from a disease is going out like a wimp.

Getting got off-panel and only existing as a corpse to be cried over is going out like a chump. Not even a proper send-off. Not even floating the idea that a total fucking square like Cyke would have something prepared in the event of his death. Not even any idea of what happened from the end of Uncanny #600 to Death of X that could make sense.

What I'm saying, to be clear, is that there's a level of contempt for X-Men fans contained in Death of X that has not been seen since the heyday of the New 52.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
lots of lols

https://imgur.com/a/pzAbl#hbyXYhs

o11ANVs.png

yZCqDBa.png

I don't really get why people think Cyclops
dying from a disease is going out like a wimp.

Because this is comics. Like,
half of Cable's powerset is that he's got a crazy techno organic disease that gives him robolimbs. This is the standard you're up against. Actually dying to one in anything but a Very Special Story about cancer or something makes you a jobber of the highest order.

ElNarez

Banned
hey Marvel you goddamn dipshits: just fucking make a new S.H.I.E.L.D. trade with the missing issues, say it's a hot goddamn exclusive, make it premium with the hard cover, get that cash from the people who still care

TheFlow

Banned
I got two Cmx coupons one of them being a 5 dollars off 15 bucks or more purchase
5 free issues XD

Still tempted to wait till the Christmas sale

Boogiepop

tldr; first paragraph is a ton of questions and comments on Days of Future Past, second paragraph is the next two issues, last one is a HOLY CRAP moment for me.

Ok, right, so I read more Claremont X-men, mainly the two Days of Future Past issues and the two that come after that. First off: Days of Future Past was highly enjoyable, and I can see how it became something of a template for the series. That said... it also feels like something of a missed opportunity. In particular, you have the future Kitty Pryde brought back into the body of her young self, giving a damn good opportunity to show all that the character CAN be right after having introduced her as the newbie who hasn't done anything yet. And yet, all she gets to do is talk to the X-men a little and then bumps Destiny's elbow at the end. Like, she does NOTHING, which is a real shame. Still love the story though. Oh, and one and a half omnibi in, Wolverine's healing factor is FINALLY mentioned, making its proper debut in the second issue here. There's a throwaway line earlier on of "don't worry, I heal fast" or something like that, but it really doesn't seem like it was properly considered a power until this issue. Plus it still sounds like it's gimped over what it is in modern days, but at least it's finally here. Oh, and the book seems to like saying Wolverine is virtually unkillable because of his Adamantium skeleton, which... doesn't really make sense. Like, sure, it could prevent SOME deaths, but there are a LOT of deaths that an indestructible skeleton wouldn't really help with... Also, how exactly does time travel work in the Marvel U? Is it only Doom's time platform that doesn't create alternate timelines, but everything else does or something? Either way, I know a number of X-men stories result in split timelines that have been revisited, which makes me wonder... why would you bother if you were in the bad future? Like, sure it's nice that you've created a split timeline that's happier and all, but you're still totally boned chilling out in the Age of Apocalypse or whatever, and you've wasted resources to effectively accomplish nothing. Like, fair enough here in that they don't know yet, but still... the X-men have dealt with a LOT of time travel by now, right?

That said... man, the two issues following it just nailed it. Like, I LIKE this run in reading it, I think there are a lot of great issues and even more great ideas, but there's still some caveats and stumbling in a lot (though not all) of them. Like, be it overly wordy dialogue in the wrong places, or action scenes that don't quite come together, silly ideas (though this can still be fun), or just underdone potential (the first appearance of the Shiar promises a galactic empire and intrigue, but just comes down to a couple of fights on one planet with one specific group in front of a big crystal, for example. Still good, but felt underdone). That said, these are just plain good issues, no questions asked. Like, they nail it, focusing first on Kitty as she has a trial by fire against a (suspiciously Alien looking) demon, and the later using Man Thing and I guess one of his villains to dig into Scott's psyche. Which is really cool, as I was worried the series might kind of fall off since it had passed the true "big name" events, far as I can tell. But instead, it knocks it out of the park with two "one-off" or "throwaway" issues, which is really cool.

The big thing for me, though: They included the letter column, and one specific letter caught my eye, ESPECIALLY when I read the name it was attributed to:
It's already a "wow, imagine dropping X-men because of the goddamn Dark Phoenix Saga of all things! Like, yeah, THAT is the dropoff, riiiiiiight". But then it's from freaking Kurt Busiek, apparently predating his comic writing career! And I didn't know this, but it seems he was the one to do the Phoenix retcon, from what I read. (How does that work, BTW? Is it that Jean was in a psychic bubble in the shuttle wreckage while the Phoenix force, like, came down and made a clone of her that thought it was her for... reasons? Seems like a kind of crap retcon, but eh). That's seriously insane to me and blew my mind when I saw it.

The big thing for me, though: They included the letter column, and one specific letter caught my eye, ESPECIALLY when I read the name it was attributed to:

It's already a "wow, imagine dropping X-men because of the goddamn Dark Phoenix Saga of all things! Like, yeah, THAT is the dropoff, riiiiiiight". But then it's from freaking Kurt Busiek, apparently predating his comic writing career! And I didn't know this, but it seems he was the one to do the Phoenix retcon, from what I read. (How does that work, BTW? Is it that Jean was in a psychic bubble in the shuttle wreckage while the Phoenix force, like, came down and made a clone of her that thought it was her for... reasons? Seems like a kind of crap retcon, but eh). That's seriously insane to me and blew my mind when I saw it.

You should listen to the X-Plain The X-Men podcast episodes with Busiek and Claremont. They go over the Death of Dark Phoenix and the Return of Jean Grey very well.

Ponn

Banned
I didn't forget about comics for BF. Thanks to my new ipad pro my family kicked in and got me for my birthday I decided to dip a little more into digital so I picked up some stuff at CMX on sale. I got Wonder Woman earth one, Teen Titants earth one vol. 2, Gotham Academy trades 1 and 2, Secret Wars renew your vows and Old man Logan and Flashpoint Flash and Batman. I also got the Hellboy Library editions 1 and 2 and the Apocalypse Wars HC i've been wanting from IST.

tim1138

I didn't forget about comics for BF. Thanks to my new ipad pro my family kicked in and got me for my birthday I decided to dip a little more into digital so I picked up some stuff at CMX on sale. I got Wonder Woman earth one, Teen Titants earth one vol. 2, Gotham Academy trades 1 and 2, Secret Wars renew your vows and Old man Logan and Flashpoint Flash and Batman. I also got the Hellboy Library editions 1 and 2 and the Apocalypse Wars HC i've been wanting from IST.

That's a nice haul!

arkon

I tried to figure out how to read Usagi Yojimbo and gave up. I have the first 3 Usagi Yojimbo Saga trades and I'll stick with that for now.

Oh and there's some crazy discounted transformers trades. ($2 trades)
https://www.comixology.com/Transformers-Cybertron-Sale/page/13201?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

It can be confusing. Guess that's what happens when you have multiple relaunches under different publishers. One helpful thing is the numbering of the bog standard TPBs being consistent across publishers so books 1-7 are with Fantagraphics and the Dark Horse material starts in volume 8. The first three saga trades are equivalent to volumes 8-16. So all you need is the Fantagraphics stuff which is collected in an affordable paperback w/ slipcase edition (at least that's what I bought) so you can go straight from that into the saga collection volume 1.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998870/?tag=neogaf0e-20 that;s the Fantagraphics collection on amazon

I'd recommend reading from the beginning. I read that material earlier this year and it really does hold up well. Great mix of oneshots and longer stories, comedic tales to tragedies. Well worth checking out.

TheFlow

Banned
Usagi pro here

start with the Fantagraphics stuff.

Stan Sankai is a living legend. his Usagi is my favorite run of all time.

Final CMX Black Friday sale count: Picked up 86 books.

Wish list somehow down to 999. Will probably trim it over the week by replacing full runs of issues with collection etc.

Good night~

kmfdmpig

Thanks for sharing this. I love these types of finds and it's interesting to see future stars engaging with the writers and seeing their thoughts.

tim1138

Thanks for sharing this. I love these types of finds and it's interesting to see future stars engaging with the writers and seeing their thoughts.

There's a letter from Sandy Jarrell (Meteor Men, Black Canary, Bombshells, and a bunch of other stuff) in Uncanny X-Men #111.

My favorite letter from that era is some dude writing in and complaining after Thunderbird was unceremoniously killed. The response was amazing, they called him a worthless character who served no function on the team and whose powers were duplicated by more interesting characters.

Owzers

I bought a flannel shirt but no comics. I'm interested in black hammer but might get the trade over digital, plus it's a comic.

It can be confusing. Guess that's what happens when you have multiple relaunches under different publishers. One helpful thing is the numbering of the bog standard TPBs being consistent across publishers so books 1-7 are with Fantagraphics and the Dark Horse material starts in volume 8. The first three saga trades are equivalent to volumes 8-16. So all you need is the Fantagraphics stuff which is collected in an affordable paperback w/ slipcase edition (at least that's what I bought) so you can go straight from that into the saga collection volume 1.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1606998870/?tag=neogaf0e-20 that;s the Fantagraphics collection on amazon

I'd recommend reading from the beginning. I read that material earlier this year and it really does hold up well. Great mix of oneshots and longer stories, comedic tales to tragedies. Well worth checking out.
Ok so then it's
https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yojimbo/comics-series/3226?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

Then
https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yojimbo-Saga/comics-series/22945?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

And then?
https://www.comixology.com/Usagi-Yojimbo/comics-series/152?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

I can't tell where the saga books end and the others pick up

arkon

Yeah. That's it.The saga volume 7 ends with issue #138. So you can just do whatever from that point. Either the relevant singles or volume 29 standard TPB. The saga volume 7 basically collects the TPB volumes 26 to 28 aka issues #117 to #138

TheFlow

Banned
The single issues that CMX have includes the fantagraphics. so if youdidn't want to buy in volumes, you could just start with single issues

Book 1: The Ronin (1987, Fantagraphics) – collects stories from Albedo Anthropomorphics #2, 3, and 4; Usagi Yojimbo: Summer Special #1; The Doomsday Squad #3; and Critters #1, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, and 14
Book 2: Samurai (1989, Fantagraphics) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 1) #1–6
Book 3: Wanderer's Road (1989, Fantagraphics) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 1) #7–12 and a story from Turtle Soup (vol. 1) #1
Book 4: Dragon Bellow Conspiracy (1991, Fantagraphics) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 1) #13–18
Book 5: Lone Goat and Kid (1992, Fantagraphics) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 1) #19–24
Book 6: Circles (1994, Fantagraphics) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 1) #25–31 and a story from Critters #50
Book 7: Gen's Story (1996, Fantagraphics) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 1) #32–38 and a story from Critters #38
Book 8: Shades of Death (1997, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 2) #1–6 and stories from #7–8
Book 9: Daisho (1998, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 2) #7–12 and 14
Book 10: The Brink of Life and Death (1998, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 2) #13 and 15–16 and Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #1–6
Book 11: Seasons (1999, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #7–12 and Usagi Yojimbo Color Special: Green Persimmon #1, and stories from Usagi Yojimbo Roleplaying Game and The Art of Usagi Yojimbo #1
Book 12: Grasscutter (1999, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #13–22
Book 13: Grey Shadows (2000, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #23–30
Book 14: Demon Mask (2001, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #31–38 and stories from Dark Horse Presents (vol. 1) #140, Dark Horse Presents Annual #3, Wizard magazine #97, Oni Double Feature #11, and Dark Horse Extra #20–23
Book 15: Grasscutter II – Journey to Atsuta Shrine (2002, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #39–45
Book 16: The Shrouded Moon (2003, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #46–52
Book 17: Duel at Kitanoji (2003, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #53–60
Book 18: Travels with Jotaro (2004, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #61–68
Book 19: Fathers and Sons (2005, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #69–75
Book 20: Glimpses of Death (2006, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #76–82 and a story from Drawing the Line
Book 21: The Mother of Mountains (2007, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #83–89
Book 22: Tomoe's Story (2008, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #90–93 and stories from Usagi Yojimbo Color Special #1–3
Book 23: Bridge of Tears (2009, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #94–102
Book 24: Return of the Black Soul (2010, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #103–109 and a story from Free Comic Book Day: Star Wars / Dark Horse All Ages #1
Book 25: Fox Hunt (2011, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #110–116 and a story from MySpace Dark Horse Presents #18
Book 26: Traitors of the Earth (2012, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #117–123 and stories from Dark Horse Maverick 2001 #1 and MySpace Dark Horse Presents #35
Book 27: A Town Called Hell (2013, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #124–131
Book 28: Red Scorpion (2014, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #132–138
Book 29: Two Hundred Jizo (2015, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #139–144 and stories from Dark Horse Presents (vol. 2) #7 and 35–36
Book 30: Thieves and Spies (2016, Dark Horse) – collects Usagi Yojimbo (vol. 3) #145–151

Top Bottom