• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

VanWinkle

Wonderful little haul came in today:

DjiF1PP.jpg

Really nothing to shocking in terms of favorites:

DC - Green Arrow, Gotham Central, and old school Saga of the Swamp Thing.

No DC The New Frontier?? :eek: :'(

Its funny how little of that there is. I mean we naturally think of hb, Abe and liz as the original trio, but they spend so little on page time together despite the movies etc. I figure once the HB and the bprd book reaches the 80s it has to be all about them haha. I love that volume, all the intro stuff to
hecate, project vampir sturm or whatever its name is, so much good stuff. An exploding horse!

Right? Now you have me excited for the thought of an 80s series with them. That'd be super fun to read. And yeah, as much as I enjoyed Seeds of Destruction, Wake the Devil really ~feels~ like the beginning with how Mignola handles art and writing by himself. Love it so much. It's really cool to see Mignola's art here compared to In Hell too. You can tell he LOVES doing all of that abstract stuff with the setting there especially.

Final Fantasy XV just started preloading. We made it fam.
I can't wait. All I want for it is to be a better game than FF13 and a gam that shows the FF franchise is heading back to greatness. Given the dev hell im not expecting a top tier FF game but we'll see

And then the week later TLG comes out and I'll cry tears of joy. Oh man I want that game so badly

Owzers

I'm trying to line up gamefly rentals with ff and last guardian, trying to beat rise of tombs so they get it before guardian. Rentals!

Okay, so I finished the first issue of AD After Death. That was a lot of fucking history for not much payoff. I really didn't much like any of it until
he got to his new post.
By that point there were only like 5 pages left. God dammit Snyder.

On the other hand, I just started the first volume of I Hate Fairyland and I'm loving this book already.

Black Panther #8
So...

Hmm

I'm happy that the dream plane shit is over. Using old stories as metaphors has been a thing forever, but I'm just tired of it. It's every damn sentence and when it isn't some sort of fable, it's an uberexistential dialogue that is, for lack of anything better, lengthy
. Maybe I'm dumb, maybe I'm not, but either way I'm glad I don't have to wade through that any more. Otherwise a pretty okay issue. Not much happened. A lot of dialogue that felt like padding.

Old Man Logan #13
I can definitely, 100% say, with every ounce of confidence in my entire being, that I did not see that coming.

What a weird way to end an arc. So,
the boy pulls a Tetsuo and then Logan goes "Nah. Friends tho?" And everything's good.
This was definitely a low point in this book, as an issue and as an arc.
We never find out how the fuck Yuriko got caught up in that shit unless I missed it. And even then that just means I forgot about it real quick. Plus she ends up gone after the whole damn thing ends with no real resolution. There's also not much given about the history of the Silent Order or the boy himself. Their powers are passed down and fade with age, but that's all we know.
For how long this arc took to get somewhere, it ultimately felt like nowhere. The flashback side of this arc was nice, but just served as some warm padding on the side of this fluffy dish.

Sorrentino still kills at spreads though, and the last issues of this should be pretty entertaining, to say the least.
"You were out on that island by yourself fighting for survival for five years? We had it a billion times worse!"

It's almost maddening.

EDIT: My reaction to the show right now

JzHmzV7.gif
And believe it or not: Thea, Roy, and Diggle will forever be the only characters you consistently care about.

Everyone can fight me, should they disagree.

Right? Now you have me excited for the thought of an 80s series with them. That'd be super fun to read. And yeah, as much as I enjoyed Seeds of Destruction, Wake the Devil really ~feels~ like the beginning with how Mignola handles art and writing by himself. Love it so much. It's really cool to see Mignola's art here compared to In Hell too. You can tell he LOVES doing all of that abstract stuff with the setting there especially.

Hahah, now I'm imagining Liz with an 80s haircut :L it must happen. The 80s/early 90s is a goldmine for them, they could really run with that. Totally agree btw, I always find that's what makes recommending HB to people such a loaded gun. Not only are you already caveating the length and the other series, but then you have to fess up that as good as Seed Of Destruction is (and fucking important, you couldn't skip it), that it isn't truly representative of Mig. Even with Wake The Devil being more his full style, writing and art together, I think it's the chained coffin that starts to feel like yea, THIS is Hellboy haha, with the more folklorey angle.

My LCS had a sale today. Picked up:

Supernovas, man, that's long enough ago that I remember buying that as floppies. Really enjoyed it at the time.

Jonogunn

For those who have read civil war 2 is it okay to just read the main issues?

When reading comics I want to immerse myself in the full entire story. However I realized that I end up getting lost and give up part way when jumping between the tie-in solo comics.

Can anyone provide me a bare essential reading list for civil war 2?

Ross61

Watching JLU and just finished the Captain Marvel episode and it was a great episode, but the amount of force Supes used in his fight with Cap was totally uncalled for and unnecessary. I'm not gonna blame Captain Marvel because Superman made the tone from the start. That's the kind of force you would use on someone like Doomsday or Mongul, not another fucking Leaguer who was trying to offer a different solution(even though he was wrong). The collateral damage was totally reprehensible and negligent.

dan2026

Chew #60

Wow Chew's final twist was amazing.
Probably should of seen it coming. But I didn't.

I guess this is farewell to one of the best series of all time.
It dont get much better than this.

For those who have read civil war 2 is it okay to just read the main issues?

When reading comics I want to immerse myself in the full entire story. However I realized that I end up getting lost and give up part way when jumping between the tie-in solo comics.

Can anyone provide me a bare essential reading list for civil war 2?

The crossovers this time around are truly inessential. Just various characters POVs on the central argument and/or random prediction storylines. That said, the Ms. Marvel issues are phenomenal, but you will need to have been reading her whole series.

Also, the Nick fury story that runs through Choosing Sides lands on the best last page in comics history.

dan2026

Time to get back on chew! I read the first 4-5 volumes then decided to wait til the end. Seems like a good endeavour for after Xmas

I don't think its hyperbole when I say its one of the best comics of all time.
I honestly don't think I will ever see something quite so remarkable again.

Top Bottom