• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Slowly catching up with some books.

Batman #11's ending was unexpected. Plan within a plan or has Catwoman gone completely insane? It feels like the most inconsistent book I'm reading at the moment and King's weakest, but I'm still interested in seeing where it goes.

Small list for me this week:
Batman Annual #1
Black Widow #8
Star Wars Annual #2

Sandfox

I am confident some satisfying course correction is going to happen with IvX

I have been reading ExX since the beginning so I'm not sure why I'd stop over DoX...?

I wonder if there's going to be a one-shot for RessurXion like there was for Regenesis in order to set up the new status quo.

Owzers

They had Sami zayn get squashed by strauman last Raw, they are crushing my wrestling spirit. Between this, trump,and the inevitable xmen lemire/soule books there is no point to hope, it is over.

Been watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood since some folks were discussing the original manga creator being influenced by Mignola and vice versa awhile back. Fuck, some of this is dark hah
the little girl getting fucking spliced with the dog....the fuck!
Pretty good. Although my partner won't watch subs so it's dubs for now which is eh, you know, the usual anime fare

Started reading the Superman Lois & Clark series I'm 4 issues in of the 8 and it's really good! I'm surprised it's Jurgens writing it, strongest work I've seen from him in a while. Seems to have been really influenced by the amazing Busiek/Immomen Secret identity mini

I'm happy to have superman married again and now portrayed as a father is awesome. Jonathan seems like a good kid so far

Been watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood since some folks were discussing the original manga creator being influenced by Mignola and vice versa awhile back. Fuck, some of this is dark hah
Pretty good. Although my partner won't watch subs so it's dubs for now which is eh, you know, the usual anime fare
Did you ever see the Yu-Gi-Oh mangaka's drawing of Hellboy? It's great lol

That's the assumption. But Thor has been willing to sacrifice himself a billion times over. Going down with Hyperion facing impossible odds vs. the Beyonders isn't really something he wasn't willing to do before.

Well, there's one sitting right there, he just hasn't been able to touch it yet.
Like I said, it's not that he's not worthy, he doesn't have one. We'll see if he UNWORTHY THOR
takes Stormbreaker from BRB.
The shit with Nina hits even harder if you watch the 2003 series, since it builds over multiple episodes. Way more horrifying.

TheFlow

Banned
If people can buy and read 4 issues of death of x why would they stop now. Lol they are already the bottom only up

I feel like I could skip this event and come off better for it

Did you ever see the Yu-Gi-Oh mangaka's drawing of Hellboy? It's great lol

Hah no I didn't!!

The shit with Nina hits even harder if you watch the 2003 series, since it builds over multiple episodes. Way more horrifying.

The consensus online seemed to be that this was the version to watch but my sister said something very similar to me earlier, about that storyline being better paced and built too. I may have to watch that too! Really horrible stuff though
it's the way she still pleads for the father's life :(

Sandfox

don't blame you. finding out what happened in #4 made me give up on any more mutant events. just waiting for rebirth now.

The ending actually has me interested in what Marvel has planned for
Emma Frost since we all thought she was dead this entire time. The latest solicitations tells that it will be coming to fruition soon.

VanWinkle

Superman Rebirth, Batman Rebirth, Aquaman Rebirth, Action Comics Rebirth, and Justice League Rebirth (bleh) all have listings on Amazon for...wait for it...DELUXE EDITIONS! It looks like they're going to be going the Vertigo/Marvel NOW route and make an OHC for every two trade volumes! BEYOND PSYCHED!!!

Edit: actually I don't see Action Comics. I was told that by someone but I'm not seeing it personally. But the rest are on there.

Now give me Detective Comics and Flash. And for the monthlies I want Superwoman and New Super-Man.

TheFlow

Banned
The ending actually has me interested in what Marvel has planned for
Emma Frost since we all thought she was dead this entire time. The latest solicitations tells that it will be coming to fruition soon.

I mean
I can live without her either way. Never cared for her. I see this event the same as AvsX. a source of fight scene panels

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Superman Rebirth, Batman Rebirth, Aquaman Rebirth, Action Comics Rebirth, and Justice League Rebirth (bleh) all have listings on Amazon for...wait for it...DELUXE EDITIONS! It looks like they're going to be going the Vertigo/Marvel NOW route and make an OHC for every two trade volumes! BEYOND PSYCHED!!!
Finally <3

I actually kind of prefer the 03 anime, tbh. Brotherhood is just an inferior version of the manga but with color and movement, at least the first one did something interesting when it went off the rails.

TheFlow

Banned
The funny thing about that is you could argue Death of X did get better given how much everyone hated the first.

its kinda like Night of the monsters. the quality per issue is all over the place. I thought #2 was just as bad as #1. #3 was good, but #4 apparently is the one of the worst things in the world.

Sandfox

its kinda like Night of the monsters. the quality per issue is all over the place. I thought #2 was just as bad as #1. #3 was good, but #4 apparently is the one of the worst things in the world.

The reception to #4 has been better than the reception #1 got from what I've seen. Based on the last issue, there were clearly some issues with the development of this book and now certain things don't make sense.

Wow, DC is really going to be fucking your wallet.

TheFlow

Banned
The reception to #4 has been better than the reception #1 got from what I've seen. Based on the last issue, there were clearly some issues with the development of this book and now certain things don't make sense.

yea. reading Mhwilliams summary of it pretty says the Marvel writers had no idea on how to portray cyclops.

Edit: actually I don't see Action Comics. I was told that by someone but I'm not seeing it personally. But the rest are on there.

Now give me Detective Comics and Flash. And for the monthlies I want Superwoman and New Super-Man.

Nice man. That's definitely how I'll be reading them then, the ones that get deluxe treatment that is. Nice!

Sandfox

yea. reading Mhwilliams summary of it pretty says the Marvel writers had no idea on how to portray cyclops.
I'm guessing the original plan was to have
Emma do something worse like a massacre, but they decided against doesn't something so extreme with the character while planning the post DoX stuff.

Like I said, it's not that he's not worthy, he doesn't have one. We'll see if he UNWORTHY THOR
takes Stormbreaker from BRB.

we already know from issue #1 that he doesn't. He continues as "unworthy" until he finds the hammer for 1610 Thor.

For whatever reason he's been fighting to reach it constantly, but can't seem to grab it without getting his ass kicked.

I mean
I can live without her either way. Never cared for her. I see this event the same as AvsX. a source of fight scene panels

There are so few good potential fights though. AvX had everyone v everyone else. This has the best bench in comics vs the gang that couldn't mist straight.

Finished all ten issues of I Hate Fairyland. What a thoroughly enjoyable book. The art and colors are fantastic, too. Now I have to wait until March for the next issue. Right around the time the first Mass Effect Andromeda delay will be announced, no doubt.

tumblr_ogr478Nxpa1qes700o1_1280.jpg

Finished all ten issues of I Hate Fairyland. What a thoroughly enjoyable book. The art and colors are fantastic, too. Now I have to wait until March for the next issue. Right around the time the first Mass Effect Andromeda delay will be announced, no doubt.
Well now you've gone and done it. Autumn 2017 it is.

TheFlow

Banned
Saga #39

very nice to get a chapter about The will and Hazel. the reveal at the end is crazy.
The wings and the horns might be working together?

4/5

Seven to Eternity #2

decent issue. nothing wowed me. will give it one more issue. plot was kinda confusing.

3/5

Worth it for Superman. The rest? Ehhhhhhhhh.

huh, so the ghost of Comics Should Be Good is still doing that Top 100 Comic Runs. Last one was in 2012, one before that was 2008, so its every four years. Wonder what the participation is gonna be like with this new format and shit.

Just send them niggas an email so you can vote for ya faves

my vote:

1. Morrison/Case Doom Patrol
2. Ennis/McCrea Hitman(shoutouts to Rave)
3. Claremont 1980s Uncanny X-Men (basically from post-Byrne Cockrum up into Jim Lee coming on board in 1990)
4. Frank Miller Daredevil(only the Miller/Jensen run will count, but in my head its including Born Again/Elektra Assassin/Elektra Lives Again/Love & War)
5. Grant Morrison Batman
6. David Lapham Stray Bullets
7. Aaron/Guerra Scalped
8. Morrison JLA(including the original Porter run, Earth 2 graphic novel with Quitely, and Classified with McGuinness)
9. Bryan Lee O'Malley Scott Pilgrim
10. Fraction/Aja/Wu Hawkeye

probably gonna rearrange these just to give the ones that need more points

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just read all five issues of Lando finally. Was very good. Marvels been killing it with Star Wars.

TheFlow

Banned
huh, so the ghost of Comics Should Be Good is still doing that Top 100 Comic Runs. Last one was in 2012, one before that was 2008, so its every four years. Wonder what the participation is gonna be like with this new format and shit.

my vote:

3. Claremont 1980s Uncanny X-Men (basically from post-Byrne Cockrum up into Jim Lee coming on board in 1990)
4. Frank Miller Daredevil(only the Miller/Jensen run will count, but in my head its including Born Again/Elektra Assassin/Elektra Lives Again/Love & War)
5. Grant Morrison Batman
7. Aaron/Guerra Scalped
8. Morrison JLA(including the original Porter run, Earth 2 graphic novel with Quitely, and Classified with McGuinness)

Your list is very similar to mine. I have grown to love millers early work but the elektra stuff really completes it.

LOL, that drawing is incredible. I want to see Ron Perlman try pull that off.

I have no real idea what my favourite runs would be ranked. Things that come to mind though

Hellboy - Mignola
BPRD - Arcudi
Locke & Key- Joe Hill
Sweet Tooth - Lemire
Scalped - Aaron
Criminal - Brubaker
Unknown Soldier - Dysart
Sandman - Gaiman
Umbrella Academy - Way

I could talk seriously about Southern Bastards, Lazarus & Saga joining my all time favs if they stick it. Same with American Vampire but I'm way behind on that and folk seem iffy.

Finished cape runs I really like - Bru's Cap run, Secret Warriors, Bendis' Daredevil & Alias, Gotham Central, Snyder's Batman run, especially the black mirror portion, the dual Swamp Thing & Animal runs from Snyder & Lemire.

Probably missed some major obvious stuff I'll kick myself for.

my vote:

5. Grant Morrison Batman
7. Aaron/Guerra Scalped

Right now I'm feeling
1. Doom Patrol
2. Hellboy
3. BPRD
4. Power Girl: Power Trip
5. Batman by Morrison
6. Daredevil by Miller
7. Hawkeye
8. X-Statix

Last two are a toss-up but I'm feeling Love and Rockets and Shade, the Changing Man even if I'm not done with them yet. They really click with me. L&R is kinda like comfort food. Always a good read with incredible art and fun characters with complicated relationships. Shade's just gooood.

Hitman is awesome too but I'm only 8 issues in. I also really like Bru's Catwoman and Rucka's Wonder Woman but I'm not finished with either OTL

Top Bottom