• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

“As I thought about that, I started thinking about that idea in connection with Rachel and the notion that if there was any character who needed to adopt a new identity, that was forward thinking, that wasn't about her legacy or her family, it was Rachel. And I think in many ways Rachel represents this mission statement that Kitty has given the X-Men, which is let's not look backwards, let's look forwards.”

This is like actually offensive.

Rachel was in basically the holocaust.

tim1138

Of course, it makes total sense Rachel would want to look forward to her future where all her friends and family were systematically killed in camps. Might as well put her back in her old Hound costume while they're at it.

Sandfox

Lol if someone has been asking for double shipping of x-men books in 2016. That would mean 4 issues a month just for those two titles. That is definitely not going to end well.

these new books were supposed to bring back faith/fans to the x-men books it looks more of the same.

How would that not end well? Fans have been asking for more X-Men for a while and it's not like people are required to read all of them. I also don't see how you can say these books are more of the same when comparing them to the current ongoings.

Of course, it makes total sense Rachel would want to look forward to her future where all her friends and family were systematically killed in camps. Might as well put her back in her old Hound costume while they're at it.

lmao i didn't even think about it that way holy fuck

Sandfox

I'm not going to pretend I know a lot abouit her backstory, but while those takes place in the future wouldn't that be her past?

TheFlow

Banned
How would that not end well? Fans have been asking for more X-Men for a while and it's not like people are required to read all of them. I also don't see how you can say these books are more of the same when comparing them to the current ongoings.

where they at? I have never seen this. but they are more of the same to me. all they did was just divide the adults from the kids.

how are you going to say double shipping is what fans have been asking for then in the same paragraph say they are not required to read them all. Wouldn't they want to read them? hence the the problem of double shipping. This ain't DC we are talking about. 3 dollars is a long shot.

So basically Avengers AI for the mutant set? I'd read that, especially since you included Doug and Warlock.
And maybe Danger
Soule's concession was pretty convincing...

Also, to have Cyclops and Wolverine out of the books, then to say this in that first interview (basically):

"if we said one beloved X-Man would return to lead them into the future, who would you think it is"

And then have that be Kitty, is some wack-ass bait and switch shit.
Should have been Polaris
IvX #0 preview.

At least it will look good.
That's really dark
htf did i miss this

FUCK.

NO.

I'm glad to see how they really understand her character
not

tim1138

I'm not going to pretend I know a lot abouit her backstory, but while those takes place in the future wouldn't that be her past?

Sure, but it's still a future the world would slowly be moving towards to. Plus the fact that the team roster would be a daily reminder of what lays in store, since aside from Kurt (who was dead), the Gold team are the surviving X-Men in Days of Future Past.

La la la nothing is going on here everything is fine

Guys I just read the first two issues of Seven to Eternity, Shade and Shipwreck and thought they were all really fucking great comics, that's all I logged in to say

TheFlow

Banned
La la la nothing is going on here everything is fine

Guys I just read the first two issues of Seven to Eternity, Shade and Shipwreck and thought they were all really fucking great comics, that's all I logged in to say

damn you just now getting to that. Shad #2 was so good, and a improvement over the first issue. Like a lot of the Young animal books the second issue is way easier to follow.

Seven to Eternity #2 gave us a solid backstory, but somehow the actually issue felt average, and like I been down this road before.

Sure, but it's still a future the world would slowly be moving towards to. Plus the fact that the team roster would be a daily reminder of what lays in store, since aside from Kurt (who was dead), the Gold team are the surviving X-Men in Days of Future Past.

"This deal's getting worse all the time!"

damn you just now getting to that. Shad #2 was so good, and a improvement over the first issue. Like a lot of the Young animal books the second issue is way easier to follow.

Seven to Eternity #2 gave us a solid backstory, but somehow the actually issue felt average, and like I been down this road before.

I loved the second issue of 72E actually. The Mud King is such a great villain, I would read an entire arc of him throwing shade and making people look foolish. You do have a couple of standard Remender tropes, the daddy issues, a protagonist who seems
marked for death
, the "here's a bunch of weirdos to liven things up!" drop. But I like these weirdos. And I love the last panel.

TheFlow

Banned
I loved the second issue of 72E actually. The Mud King is such a great villain, I would read an entire arc of him throwing shade and making people look foolish. You do have a couple of standard Remender tropes, the daddy issues, a protagonist who seems
marked for death
, the "here's a bunch of weirdos to liven things up!" drop. But I like these weirdos. And I love the last panel.

Mud King reminds me of Thanos. I am just ready to get back to his kids and the interesting world Remender is trying to make. I don't care about this
rag team of randoms who are going to get rekted. take me back to the kids.

Sandfox

where they at? I have never seen this. but they are more of the same to me. all they did was just divide the adults from the kids.

how are you going to say double shipping is what fans have been asking for then in the same paragraph say they are not required to read them all. Wouldn't they want to read them? hence the the problem of double shipping. This ain't DC we are talking about. 3 dollars is a long shot.
So all you're looking at is rosters then when saying they are more of same then. I can understand not liking the writers, but these books are clearly going to be a lot different from the current stuff.

I don't know how you can miss people complaining about there only being 5 X-titles or asking for some of the classic titles to return and using that as ammo in the "Marvel is trying to kill off the mutants" thing. That was the lowest number of titles that brand has been at since forever.

I said that because not all fans are hardcore to the point where they need to buy every book and can just follow their favorites like with every other comic book. In regards to double shipping, the market has clearly spoken on how they feel about that and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Marvel line followed in a later part of 2017.

marked for death

It turned very quickly into the X-Men comic he would have written if he stayed at Marvel and I love it.

Sandfox

So based on the lineups for these teams I would imagine that the characters featured in the teasers for the others will make up those rosters.

The constant flashback and flashforward stuff in Duggan's run is so annoying it is one of the reasons I dropped it. He's gonna keep doing it so don't even bother.
The next one is actually the last of that storyline.

As much as I love Claremont X-Men, I'm getting tired of almost half of every X-team consisting of them. I'd be more excited for Gold if they mixed it up.

I'm talking "throw names into a hat and pick seven" mixing it up. Like, throw the name of every living X-Man/New Mutant/X-Factor/X-Force member into a hat and every 5-7 names is a new team.

I'm trying to read Silver Surfer #6/#200 and Peter Parker's eyes are too green and it's driving me fucking crazy. He better turn out to be a skrull or some shit

Sometimes knowledge is a burden

TheFlow

Banned
So all you're looking at is rosters then when saying they are more of same then. I can understand not liking the writers, but these books are clearly going to be a lot different from the current stuff.

I don't know how you can miss people complaining about there only being 5 X-titles or asking for some of the classic titles to return and using that as ammo in the "Marvel is trying to kill off the mutants" thing. That was the lowest number of titles that brand has been at since forever.

I said that because not all fans are hardcore to the point where they need to buy every book and can just follow their favorites like with every other comic book. In regards to double shipping, the market has clearly spoken on how they feel about that and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Marvel line followed in a later part of 2017.
people have been saying marvel is trying to kill of the mutants because that is what's been happening in the main universe for years. Most stories have been about Mutants dying off and trying to rebuild.

If you look in the current OT or here or anywhere actually you can see that this is not what people wanted or expected when Marvel first revealed the relaunch.

Double shipping worked for DC doesn't mean it work for Marvel. It is more of the same.Nothing new is being done or anything crazy hype. Literally the same characters minus a odd ball here or there. like I said in my previous post looks like they just put all the young mutants(OG 5) in one book instead of having them split and then put all the adults unto the gold book.

TL;DR fans have been asking for a return to classic teams/rosters but not this. Double shipping working for company doesn't apply to the other one. especially when sales are lower than expected for a lot of the 2.0 books.

So based on the lineups for these teams I would imagine that the characters featured in the teasers for the others will make up those rosters.

The next one is actually the last of that storyline.

Also, Deadpool 2099 rules

As much as I love Claremont X-Men, I'm getting tired of almost half of every X-team consisting of them. I'd be more excited for Gold if they mixed it up.

I'm talking "throw names into a hat and pick seven" mixing it up. Like, throw the name of every living X-Man/New Mutant/X-Factor/X-Force member into a hat and every 5-7 names is a new team.

Also, it should be noted the whole point of the original Gold and Blue was to allow room for all the cool X-Men there were. This is leaving like 3/4ths of them off the table. So dumb.

So it looks like the two main X-books will be shipping twice a month and I'm wondering if that means $3. I much more happy with the artist this time around and the new costumes are cool as well.

Guggenheim talks more about things I'm interested like a new Brotherhood and justifying the hate for mutants in the 21st century so that's good.

They aren't rebrandings. These books have completely different creative teams, are about completely different things, and have somewhat different teams.

I should have used, boring relaunched extensions of current ongoing titles.

The teams are barely different, All Blue X-Men basically swaps Idie, Evan and X-23 for Mags and Jean

X-Men Gold swaps out Marvel Girl...for Marvel Girl(lol Prestige), Magik for Kitty, and Iceman is...somewhere.

They don't bring anything new to the table and could not have been renamed.

Oh no, young Hitlerclops on a team with Magneto, I wonder if they'll bring up the non terrible things his older self did, only to have Jean lead the team and possibly take on more aspects of Magneto and make her out to be more of a jerk than she already is. Perhaps Beast will fuck up some more with encouragement from Magneto. The possibilities are endless.

TheFlow

Banned

Also, it should be noted the whole point of the original Gold and Blue was to allow room for all the cool X-Men there were. This is leaving like 3/4ths of them off the table. So dumb.

sums up how I feel. There are way to many mutants and awesome characters for us to keep going back to the same two teams we had in the 70s. Scratch that. The two 70s teams were more interesting at point value.

Death of X was such a tease when they showed up some of the x-force members :/

I should have used, boring relaunched extensions of current ongoing titles.

The teams are barely different, All Blue X-Men basically swaps Idie, Evan and X-23 for Mags and Jean

X-Men Gold swaps out Marvel Girl...for Marvel Girl, Magik for Kitty, and Iceman is...somewhere.

They don't bring anything new to the table and could not have been renamed.

Oh no, young Hitlerclops on a team with Magneto, I wonder if they'll bring up the non terrible things his older self did, only to have Jean lead the team and possibly take on more aspects of Magneto and make her out to be more of a jerk than she already is. Perhaps Beast will fuck up some more with encouragement from Magneto. The possibilities are endless.
this is what I was trying to say. feels more like an extension especially when a large majority of the characters are the same. Maybe they aren't trying to reveal everything till IvsX finishes.

Boogiepop

Yeah, it seems super freaking boring that they're effectively like "here's the original X-men team, here's Claremont X-men team (with Rachel swapped in I guess), have fun with that." I guess the idea is "screw it, go back to the old standbys" effectively, but still... I've been rereading Claremont X-men, and one of the best things about it is how much it upended things and just went ahead and created a whole ton of stuff that was brand new. And this definitely doesn't look to be that in the slightest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, random Days of Future Past question/comment I forgot to ask: how the hell is it that Franklin Richards goes out like such a chump in that issue? Like, you've got adult Franklin Richards with his power damper off and nope, just a casual Sentinel blast that kills him nonchalantly. Just doesn't feel right at all.

Sandfox

people have been saying marvel is trying to kill of the mutants because that is what's been happening in the main universe for years. Most stories have been about Mutants dying off and trying to rebuild.

If you look in the current OT or here or anywhere actually you can see that this is not what people wanted or expected when Marvel first revealed the relaunch.

Double shipping worked for DC doesn't mean it work for Marvel. It is more of the same.Nothing new is being done or anything crazy hype. Literally the same characters minus a odd ball here or there. like I said in my previous post looks like they just put all the young mutants(OG 5) in one book instead of having them split and then put all the adults unto the gold book.

TL;DR fans have been asking for a return to classic teams/rosters but not this. Double shipping working for company doesn't apply to the other one. especially when sales are lower than expected for a lot of the 2.0 books.
I don't see what Now 2.0's performance has to do with whether or not the X-books double shipping will work. We'll get an idea of how the books perform when they release though so there's no point in keeping this going.

frye

marked for death

I'm digging this book quite a bit through 2 issues, turns out he needed to make some half decent comics again was to get Opena to draw it!

TheFlow

Banned
I don't see what Now 2.0's performance has to do with whether or not the X-books double shipping will work. We'll get an idea of how the books perform when they release though so there's no point in keeping this going.

"In regards to double shipping, the market has clearly spoken on how they feel about that and I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of Marvel line followed in a later part of 2017."-Sandfox

you gotta pick a narrative bruh. can't keep backpedaling.

I'm digging this book quite a bit through 2 issues, turns out he needed to make some half decent comics again was to get Opena to draw it!

lol u said wut m8. Remender was killing it before 7 eternity.

This is only two books

"Bad stuff in the spotlight while brilliance and beauty flourishes in the margins" is basically the Marvel Way right now. It is not yet time to despair.
that happen to be the flagship titles of the rebrand.

do you really need to learn that watchmen uses a 9-panel grid layout?

like, if you showed how Pandora's death uses the exact same blocking as Rorscharch's, yeah, that's a good detail, but, two pages on the 9-grid? really?
No like, I'm going to need the Deluxe for my shelf. Never bought a physical issue of it.

TheFlow

Banned
So? If X-Force and Gen X turn out to be good I'm not gonna be too sad about the direction they went with these two
Well you already said you weren't going to stop reading the titles after what happened with Death of x so quality was never the issue.

Gen x is the last hope we fans got out here

Edit: the flagship titles are definitely going to have an affect on the other titles. X men books love to bleed into each other. So that will always be a looming problem

Top Bottom