• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Is it actually humanly possible for you to not make a corny post?

Of course you're the one who gets salty about my presence. Get over me man.

Edit: @echoshifting I didn't really take into account how they're pretty good introductions to the characters to families and such. I think cartoons work even better for that tho. That avengers series emh was pretty solid. As was Bruce Timms work for dc for like a decade

Hagi

Well gold and blue was certainly a dull reveal. If Gen X doesn't impress then shit guess that's another year with very little in the way of good X books. Hopefully there's a surprise like All New Wolverine in there somewhere.

How the hell are you going to push the time travelling o5 for another year and not field a diverse team against them. Might as well call both books X-Men two shades of magnolia because they went as safe as they possibly could.

shingi70

Banned
Man of steel is a great Alien invasion film. Shits it's a great film. The terra for,in happening in metropolis is so damn unsettling,

130416-Trailer39.jpg

tumblr_nmr8egNEWO1rgaid9o6_r1_1280.gif

TheFlow

Banned
Of course you're the one who gets salty about my presence. Get over me man.

Edit: @echoshifting I didn't really take into account how they're pretty good introductions to the characters to families and such. I think cartoons work even better for that tho. That avengers series emh was pretty solid. As was Bruce Timms work for dc for like a decade
I will have to disagree. The marvel movies have done a great job of introducing people to awesome characters and making them want to read comics. Civil war came around and we had a lot of threads about people wanting to read priest

Roman

I don't really care. I just never want X-Men to never be an allegorical thing again.

Also IvX is being leaked.

Ugh. The "We're sorry you're offended" attitude displayed by some of the Inhumans is simply infuriating. And of course Emma has to seem either unhinged or nefarious in her 'plotting' scenes. Furthermore, no self respecting scientist seriously refers to themselves as a genius. I've rarely wished that much comeuppance on a single character.

This book is written in a predictably ham-fisted, tone-deaf way and there is little indication there is going to be any tonal shift between Death of X and this. I have absolutely no confidence in this event to alleviate any concerns regarding Marvel's goodwill towards these characters.

Don't care for that one but Michael Shannon and the soundtrack are A1. Tbh the best route they can take superman now in the next few years is giving him a kid like the rebirth series

TheFlow

Banned
Man of steel was actually decent. Even good if you think of it as a alien invasion or living among us type story.

One of the few superhero movies I own

PsychBat!

Banned
I will have to disagree. The marvel movies have done a great job of introducing people to awesome characters and making them want to read comics. Civil war came around and we had a lot of threads about people wanting to read priest

I would say like 5% got interested.

Wow those xmen reveals are so boring. Still stuck with the O5, still stuck with not-Logan. Stale teams, super stake creaters. No buzz or excitement coming from me on this.

Spider-Man went through a decade of abuse in the 90s I guess its xmen's turn now. This also highlights an issue for marvel, they're still not getting back the big name talent they lost, nor it seems replenishing it fast enough on marquee franchises (if xmen is still marquee in their minds)

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm late to it, but wow do those X-Men creative teams not inspire any confidence. Has creator exclusivity and people only wanting to work indie hurt Marvel's choices that badly?

TheFlow

Banned
I know I'm late to it, but wow do those X-Men creative teams not inspire any confidence. Has creator exclusivity and people only wanting to work indie hurt Marvel's choices that badly?
Think a lot of people were put on books for 2.0 plus still ongoing Anad books. Lemire might be free to work on one of the books next spring since old man Logan is ending

We need to see all the teams before we can answer questions like that one. It's really not that unusual at all for the core book(s) to be the weakest part of the X-line.

Boogiepop

Agreed on all counts. Also, I assumed Franklin just wasn't that OP then. His power dampener was used because he couldn't control his powers (if I recall), but just because he can control them doesn't mean he could access his full potential. Just because you can get a dog to heel, lay down, and fetch, doesn't mean you can get it to shake hands and roll over.

Fair enough. I'm actually not at all familiar with Franklin around that era. Like, I read one or two of the essentials, but not far enough to get to his first appearance, and then the next thing I've read chronologically is the Waid run, so there's definitely a big gap of knowledge for me there. Just caught me off guard for him of all characters to be the "weak link" of the group that got taken out relatively early and easily.

Clearly.

It's certainly not a "Fuck Fox" thing anymore. None of their other titles are doing much better. Devastating time to be a Marvel fan tbh. They have incredible books on the fringes but no one is stepping up to carry the line.

Uncanny X-Men from 1991 to Kieron Gillen was decisively Not Good so I mean

and not for a lack of effort, either. Joe Casey, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, all them niggas with some good artists(and Greg Land) tried it...I mean they fuckin' tried it...they just laust

Clearly.

It's certainly not a "Fuck Fox" thing anymore. None of their other titles are doing much better. Devastating time to be a Marvel fan tbh. They have incredible books on the fringes but no one is stepping up to carry the line.

I can think of plenty of periods as a fan where DC was clearly better than Marvel, but I can't remember any time when Marvel was in such a dire position. This is the worst spot either of the Big 2 have been in for as long as I can remember.

BC: Superman/Action Comics crossover starting in March. "Superman Reborn" that'll deal with Mr. Oz.

The villains that SS and JL will have to team up for also got revealed.
Maxwell Lord, Emerald Empress, Lobo, Doctor Polaris, Johnny Sorrow and Rustam.
One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...
Fair enough. I'm actually not at all familiar with Franklin around that era. Like, I read one or two of the essentials, but not far enough to get to his first appearance, and then the next thing I've read chronologically is the Waid run, so there's definitely a big gap of knowledge for me there. Just caught me off guard for him of all characters to be the "weak link" of the group that got taken out relatively early and easily.
Always take this into account with Marvel: Just because a character is weak in one timeline doesn't mean that said character won't be insanely powerful in another. It's all about how they develop their powers.

Also, Sentinels can be super OP. Nimrod Sentinels, for example.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
We need to see all the teams before we can answer questions like that one. It's really not that unusual at all for the core book(s) to be the weakest part of the X-line.

I suppose that's true. My favorite X-book runs were David's X-Factor and Astonishing, anyway.

Clearly.

It is a bummer. Almost all of the books that I like coming out of Marvel are things like Squirrel Girl and Hellcat. I think Thor (or Doctor Strange) is probably the most superhero-y of the ones that I read, but I just can't get excited about any of the other ones.

and not for a lack of effort, either. Joe Casey, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker, all them niggas with some good artists(and Greg Land) tried it...I mean they fuckin' tried it...they just laust

Exactly, this is what I am talking about

And the side books were better?

Peter David's original X-Factor run
Alan Davis Excalibur
Ellis X-Force
Generation X

Yes

The "side books" were oases in a desert all the way from 1991 to...Morrison I think?

Sadist

Yeesh those teams on X-Men. Are we going to get some decent folks working on that stuff? Makes the last worthwhile mutant stuff Remenders X-Force and Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men. Shit that is disappointing. And normally I love Kitty, but her constant flipflopping for the past couple of years makes it completely unbelievable for her to become teamleader of the X-Men. And another story I suppose about her and Colossus. Ugh. I think I'll need to read Astonishing by Whedon again. As for X-Men Blue... Bunn really, REALLY likes Magneto. Dude should marry him.

Oh well. Tomorrow I'll receive my hardcover edition of Yellow, Blue and Grey by Loeb and Sale. For € 36 that's a good deal. Never read Daredevil Yellow, but Spider-Man Blue is great and Hulk Grey is awesome too. Going to be neat to read.

I can think of plenty of periods as a fan where DC was clearly better than Marvel, but I can't remember any time when Marvel was in such a dire position. This is the worst spot either of the Big 2 have been in for as long as I can remember.

It's a very unique time in comics. Image has never been this lucrative and promising for creators who established themselves at Marvel. On the flipside, Image's structure keeps their newer talent from, frankly, developing to the level necessary to be a Geoff Johns or whatever.

I gotta put a lot of this on Editorial, from the lowest to the highest. Someone like Sana Amanat is doing amazing stuff but no one is letting her just kick over every other shlub and reexamine the entire line.

Something will change by mid 2017. It has to. And when it's clear that Ressurxtion didn't work because the creative is uninspired, they'll have to take a long hard look at things.

yeah

90s good X-books were Alan Davis Excalibur, Warren Ellis Excalibur, Generation X, Larry Hama Wolverine...never the main two outside random one-off quiet issues. Then when they decided the books should be good, Morrison New X-Men and Milligan on X-Statix...and Uncanny was flabby as hell with Joe Casey outside that one really good Annual he did. Then there was the "ReBoot" or whatever with Chris Claremont coming back with Alan Davis and yet and yet...it was still ass RIP. Carey/Bachalo on X-Men was hot for a minute, but Messiah Complex fucked all that up. Astonishing and X-Factor was the best, Uncanny was just...flabby. Ed Brubaker did that boring ass year long story in space, Matt Fraction was just so unfortuante.

Basically Uncanny X-Men has been ass for like 20 fuckin years until Kieron Gillen took over, which is crazy when you think about it used to be THE X-Book.

bruh that is like 4 books from back in the day.
Carey was amazing on Xmen. Knows the history and knows how to tell xmen stories without doing complete retread stories
Aaron was really good on xmen
Whedon was great on astonishing
PADs 100+ issue X-factor series was the rock of the lineup that covered up all the rocky droughts

There's always been one x-men book that carries the line's quality until recently.

TheFlow

Banned
Carey was amazing on Xmen. Knows the history and knows how to tell xmen stories without doing complete retread stories
Aaron was really good on xmen
Whedon was great on astonishing
PADs 100+ issue X-factor series was the rock of the lineup that covered up all the rocky droughts

There's always been one x-men book that carries the line' she quality until recently.

yea. after Claremont's famous run I noticed that there was always that one x title that was considered the best of the litter among each decade.

That is why I like Schism aftermath. great spinoffs and main title books.

oh weird. Benjen addressed them all.

One would think you would be better at following the flow of a conversation

Exactly, this is what I am talking about

Peter David's original X-Factor run
Alan Davis Excalibur
Ellis X-Force
Generation X

Yes

The "side books" were oases in a desert all the way from 1991 to...Morrison I think?

Anyway, do we really need to list all of the great X-Men books that aren't (New) X-Men or Uncanny X-Men.

Top Bottom