• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Malyse

Superman #10

This is the best book DC is putting hands down. I'm glad we saw Damien take it right to the gut. I really like Goliath and Nobody hopefully they show up elsewhere.

Is that Robin series from DCyou worth a read?

This was everything to me. I hate Damien, smarmy little shit.
Jon should have knocked his ass out.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So okay, I will say straight up: I have not read Champions, Waid is probably out of touch, I can't really discuss the finer points here, so this response really just is my gut check/general thought on the bit I bolded in particular, but imo if the writer isn't nailing their voices, I wouldn't assume getting someone younger would solve that problem. The whole point of being a writer is inhabiting other people's shoes, I don't think you need to be a specific age to have that skill. I do think you either have some voices or you don't, and some people just write young people poorly. I'd have a hard time saying specifically that a younger writer would be an immediately better option though. I mean Joe Hill is 44 right? L&K started coming out in 2008 I believe. Dude was already in his mid 30s, and finished in his 40s. The book has a lot going on in it, but it's effectively a coming of age story for the Locke children, who rather from Teenagers, to younger, and it's fantastic.

So anyway, I totally get that a writer can become out of touch, but just a thought about the idea that the book would be inherently better from a younger writer. Age might inform the tools the writer has at his/her disposal both ways, and I think you could be just as likely to find an under 35 who also fails the task, as an over 35 who would succeed (and vice versa etc etc). Not really disagreeing with you at all then, but more just a jump off point for a further thought :)

This is totally fair. The way that I think of it is that it's like white people writing for minority characters. Can they do it? Sure. But when the whole story is about what it's like to be a minority, it would be better and more specific if an actual minority was writing it.

Can full grown people write for teenagers well? Of course, they can. But considering that this book is about what it's like to be a teen hero, I think (correctly or not) that it would be better to get someone who has more recent experience being young, especially when the book is trying so hard to be current.

It's obviously more important that POC get opportunities than generic "young people" but the analogy made sense.

(Waid's writing works for me on Archie, but I think that's because the Archie Universe is much more displaced in time.)

Also in my /r/comicbooks argument it's become clear that they actually just hate Thor being unworthy because they hate that Thor is a woman now.
I mean, that was always clear, but they've stopped hiding it.

This is totally fair. The way that I think of it is that it's like white people writing for minority characters. Can they do it? Sure. But when the whole story is about what it's like to be a minority, it would be better and more specific if an actual minority was writing it.

Can full grown people write for teenagers well? Of course, they can. But considering that this book is about what it's like to be a teen hero, I think (correctly or not) that it would be better to get someone who has more recent experience being young, especially when the book is trying so hard to be current.

It's obviously more important that POC get opportunities than generic "young people" but the analogy made sense.

(Waid's writing works for me on Archie, but I think that's because the Archie Universe is much more displaced in time.)

Also in my /r/comicbooks argument it's become clear that they actually just hate Thor being unworthy because they hate that Thor is a woman now.
I mean, that was always clear, but they've stopped hiding it.

Haha, I definitely see where you're coming from man, and I do also agree that you have to give people most suited to the job the opportunity, oppose to just *the name* in all circumstances. That's how Marvel got themselves where they are with CWII. What makes a person right for a given job is super hard to quantify though, and honestly varies in every given circumstances imo. That's why I definitely wanted to say I wasn't disagreeing with you, because in that specific example I think there's a high chance you are correct (even though I can't say for sure).

I do think I err a little more towards writing is an art though; some people can do it, some can't. I agree with what you say but at the same time think it's a bit bigger than an age, a gender, a social upbringing, an ethnicity and maybe even beyond us a little as something that can truly be nailed down. Although those things can definitely contribute or detract form a writer's tools, depending on the job at hand. Writing is a contradiction in my mind haha there is every reason and no reason why a given writer can write something to me sometimes and not other things.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Never seen as many comicbook dicks as in Elektra Lieves Again.
To bad that the plot is completly nonsentical and super hard to follow

Malyse

We stopped doing these.
Its Iron Fist Footage by the way ;)

Iron Fist Foot.

----

I didn't know until someone pointed it out that the TMNT were made from the sludge that blinded Daredevil and that the series is a riff on it. Trained by Stick become trained by Splinter, the Hand become the Foot Clan, etc.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
WW trailer looks cool but also looks a lot like Cap 1. Was WW origin like this in the comics also?

I didn't know until someone pointed it out that the TMNT were made from the sludge that blinded Daredevil and that the series is a riff on it. Trained by Stick become trained by Splinter, the Hand become the Foot Clan, etc.

This blew my fucking mind just now.

I have never heard this. Wow.

WW trailer looks cool but also looks a lot like Cap 1. Was WW origin like this in the comics also?
Sometimes it was her mother who fought in WWI sometimes it was Diana and sometimes WW didn't exist until modern day. Another origin is Steve's mother crash landed on the island and she was pregnant with him at the time. The Amazons sent her back and as a present Steve's mother gave the queen the American flag which would be sewn onto WW outfit. The Queen was so inspired by her pregnancy that she wanted a child herself.

They could do just about anything with her origin and nobody would be the wiser. There aren't a lot of fundamentals to WW's origin other than she is an Amazon princess from Themiscyra who travels to the "world of man." That's it. Very few people would be bothered if that's as faithful as it gets. Her power set is far more important to the audience.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
yea man. I was told this earlier this year and was in pure shock. The crazy thing is I doubt many would catch it on their own.
I'm sure it was more obvious when TMNT first started in the 80s.

Malyse

431214._SX1280_QL80_TTD_-768x1167.jpg

They put the important character in the front.

TheFlow

Banned
Ok picked up Motor Girl will read soon.

have no intentions of picking up Mosaic #2 next fuck that.

Marvel has a weaker next week of releases. Strong black women are in the forefront though <3

That's a good cover. That's how you arrange characters at different distance points without the perspective going to shit. Man Diana looks awesome there.

Is Batman looming in the background his thing for team books now?

Ok picked up Motor Girl will read soon.

have no intentions of picking up Mosaic #2 next fuck that.

Marvel has a weaker next week of releases. Strong black women are in the forefront though <3

Kooky Quartet #1. Hype.
Renew Your Vows #1. Semi-hype.
Invincible Iron RiRi #1: MEGA hype
World of Wakanda #1: let-me-put-on-my-thinking-cap hype

Looks pretty good to me! I like that there are a couple of books next week for people who aren't terribly enthusiastic about where the 616 is right now.

TheFlow

Banned
Kooky Quartet #1. Hype.
Renew Your Vows #1. Semi-hype.
Invincible Iron RiRi #1: MEGA hype
World of Wakanda #1: let-me-put-on-my-thinking-cap hype

Looks pretty good to me! I like that there are a couple of books next week for people who aren't terribly enthusiastic about where the 616 is right now.
The ones I am reading no matter what. I noticed a lot of the ANAD are doing jumping on points this month. I am very tempted on Renew your vows. very, but I haven't read a spidey series since Superior.

Black Panther World of Wakanda #1 -

Captain America Steve Rogers #7

Invincible Iron Man #1

Power Man and Iron Fist

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
quick reminder that Man Of Steel, Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad are all great-to-excellent movies

I say thee nay!

Between Narez bltant trolling with DC movies and monkey with Trump this thread has become a parody of itself

jurgen

431214._SX1280_QL80_TTD_-768x1167.jpg

They put the important character in the front.

Clay Mann's Wonder Woman is amazing. I hope he jumps on WW with Rucka.

quick reminder that Man Of Steel, Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad are all great-to-excellent movies

Suicide Squad had a great movie buried in there somewhere but it was killed by people fighting over the edit. I'm willing to give Ayer another shot with the sequel though.

Top Bottom