• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Man of Steel is a dumpster fire with a really good fight scene.

Batman V Superman is an all out bate fest of "cool scenes" or "moments".

Suicide Squad has good elements but seems it was reworked into a mess that is somewhat watchable.

TheFlow

Banned
Motor Girl #1

Lovely book with solid dialog, and great penciling. Two plot twist happen in the book that makes me think this series will have potential. I didn't think it was the best book, but it was definitely one of the better books for this week. Moore did a great job of making a 25 page book feel like 32.

solid/5

Hagi

I actually enjoyed BvS when I saw it in the cinema. Still need to watch the Ultimate Edition. Man Of Steel is alright even if I think the last fight is of the DBZ kind of drawn out and silly. Suicide Squad is shit.

I still need to pick up last week's books as well as this week's so any standouts?

I actually enjoyed BvS when I saw it in the cinema. Still need to watch the Ultimate Edition. Man Of Steel is alright even if I think the last fight is of the DBZ kind of drawn out and silly. Suicide Squad is shit.

I still need to pick up last week's books as well as this week's so any standouts?

It's good man, that the version I saw and really really enjoyed it.

I started a long post where all the bees had terrible names like "Abuzz for Margot Robbee" and "Beelievable Martha Moment" but it was perhaps the worst thing I have ever attempted on neogaf and has been scuttled.

haah...or the BEST thing :D

Boogiepop

So, the first thing to take into account is that Valiant doesn't always fit perfectly together in continuity. In letting writers do what they want with characters, they don't tie them down so strongly to a continuity. It's still rare, and it really was only prevalent in earlier stuff, but it requires some mental gymnastics to piece together at times.

And Eternal Warrior is the prime example of that. It seems to be out of continuity completely, but it actually takes place a fair amount of time before the timeline when the Valiant relaunch started. The key piece of information is that Buck McHenry is still alive in Eternal Warrior, if I recall correctly. Buck, a Geomancer himself, was a great uncle or something to the current Geomancer at the point where Gilad appears in A&A. They do a piss poor job of explaining that, but I mostly blame Greg Pak - also because I don't think the series he wrote is very good. Also, there can only be one Geomancer at a time by normal rules.

Also, Gilad has always had a love-hate relationship with the Earth. He goes through phases of not wanting anything to do with his jon to wanting to do save it.
Thanks for this. Totally didn't get that at all, and it was really throwing me off, especially since the reading order I'm using has them back to back. So yeah, this helps.
Iron Fist Foot.

----

I didn't know until someone pointed it out that the TMNT were made from the sludge that blinded Daredevil and that the series is a riff on it. Trained by Stick become trained by Splinter, the Hand become the Foot Clan, etc.
Yeah, the first issue of the comics is REALLY obviously a parody/satire of Miller Daredevil (I actually read them back to back-ish not too long ago). Of course it's worth noting that it's not accurate to call the whole of the original comics that, just their initial story. Because after that they're having space adventures and traveling through time and stuff in classic old-school indie fashion. But yeah, the roots are firmly in the Daredevil of the era.

tumblr_n4q2cblJVs1qz5q5lo1_400.png

Like, look at that.

TheFlow

Banned
X-2 has

cyclops/jean/wolverine triangle that is actually entertaining

best nightcrawler

best mystique

wolverine getting bitched slapped by lady deathstrike

wolverine getting shot in the head

and ect. lot of cool moments in the movie.

Sandfox

The ones I am reading no matter what. I noticed a lot of the ANAD are doing jumping on points this month. I am very tempted on Renew your vows. very, but I haven't read a spidey series since Superior.

Black Panther World of Wakanda #1 -

Captain America Steve Rogers #7

Invincible Iron Man #1

Power Man and Iron Fist
You don't really need to have read any Spider-Man since well before that to jump into RYV.

Vic_Viper

What was up with the Avengers #1 that came out yesterday? Haven't read it yet but just looked at the roster and skimmed through it real quick. Is it taking place after CW2?

I am the most I have ever been behind in single comics reading. I have over 25 issues to read right now. I'm actually enjoying reading prose books right now. Killing all canon Star Wars books.

Inspired by the WW trailer with what looks to be
the Duke of Deception and Dr. Poison
:

Aside from the ones in the spoiler, Circe, Cheetah and Ares, what WW villains do you like/want to see somewhere again?

I am the most I have ever been behind in single comics reading. I have over 25 issues to read right now. I'm actually enjoying reading prose books right now. Killing all canon Star Wars books.

I'm in the same boat. Well, not star wars books although I read a bunch of the old extended universe back in the day. The reading novels part though, ill probably spend a lot of the month buried in Stephen King, probably with a reread or two on the side. I am officially barred from buying comics until Christmas day </3

I just counted. I'm a little over 100 singles behind. Is bad. :(

I was a little behind then I was too busy for comics for like three weeks. That really screwed me. I am making progress though!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is Justice League really doing an arc where they all fight each other following the previous arc where they all fought each other?

Malyse

I like all the DCEU movies. Only movies that I dont like are xmen and fF.

The DCEU makes me upset. They prolly are better than I give them credit for, but they are doing the opposite of Marvel for me. Really memorable music with characters I love and plots that literally don't make sense. Fuck you for framing Superman with goddamn guns. Fuck you for putting Doomsday in BVS. Fuck you for not having fucking Batman (immune to Kryptonite) or Wonder Woman (immune to Kryptonite) *try* to hit goddamn Doomsday with the fucking spear. Fuck you for Martha. Fuck you for not having Aquaman get the spear for Lois. Fuck your dream in a dream. Fuck your trailers for the other movies. Fuck you for having logos for the metahumans. Why in the fuck did Lex design logos for the metahumans? Fuck you for having Harley make no goddamn sense on the team and being basically tits and ass. Fuck you for Enchantress twerking. Why the fuck was Enchantress twerking? Fuck you for boomerang drone. Oh and a massive fuck you for forcing fans to double dip to make your fucking films make sense. Burning the bodies should have been in the theatrical cut, assholes.

I really wanted to love both of them, but fuck them. Marvel stay winning because they take characters I couldn't give two shits about (Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man) and makes me love them while DC takes characters I love (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn) and makes me dread seeing them on screen. I'm voting no confidence on WW and the HQ solo movies. Fant4stic is still trash tier and X-Men is suffering, but at least I already didn't like those characters.

The DCAU on the other hand is fantastic. I wish they were releasing those in theaters instead.

Motor Girl #1

Lovely book with solid dialog, and great penciling. Two plot twist happen in the book that makes me think this series will have potential. I didn't think it was the best book, but it was definitely one of the better books for this week. Moore did a great job of making a 25 page book feel like 32.

solid/5

It was the best god damn book I'll read this month. And Motor Girl #2 will be the best god damned book I'll read next month.

Malyse

If the DCEU could excise everything that Snyder did and wants, it would be great. He has like a 12 year old's concept of dark and gritty.

Zack Snyder said:
Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

No.
NO.

This is asinine.

Snyder was mystified when someone told him that they couldn't think of a movie in recent memory that's had as much collateral damage as "Man of Steel." "I went, really? And I said, well, what about ['Star Wars: The Force Awakens']?" the director says. "In 'Star Wars' they destroy five planets with billions of people on them. That's gotta be one of the highest death toll movies in history, the new 'Star Wars' movie, if you just do the math."

No you ass. Collateral not intentional.

2fda8bf455241bae98597615335e439d.gif

I've actually never liked a Synder film. Well, 300 sorta.

Roman

I actually rewatched X2 last week or so. I think it's still decent, but it's bogged down by a couple of things.

- Halle Berry
- Famke Janssen was a much worse Jean than I remembered. She slurs every sentence like she's not really into anything. In my mind Jean should speak with conviction.
- What's up with that random Mystique-Wolverine attempted sex scene. Like why.
- If you prefer Cyclops over Wolverine you're in for a bad time.
- Would have liked to see more of Colossus. What happened to the kids he escaped with? Isn't that kind of important? Wolverine later mentioned to Storm they escaped but then they are never brought up again.

Still, this movie made me interested in Iceman when I was younger - what a cool power! It made me want to find out more about him. Well, that didn't turn out so great.

I actually rewatched X2 last week or so. I think it's still decent, but it's bogged down by a couple of things.

- Halle Berry
- Famke Janssen was a much worse Jean than I remembered. She slurs every sentence like she's not really into anything. In my mind Jean should speak with conviction.
- What's up with that random Mystique-Wolverine attempted sex scene. Like why.
- If you prefer Cyclops over Wolverine you're in for a bad time.
- Would have liked to see more of Colossus. What happened to the kids he escaped with? Isn't that kind of important? Wolverine later mentioned to Storm they escaped but then they are never brought up again.

Still, this movie made me interested in Iceman when I was younger - what a cool power! It made me want to find out more about him. Well, that didn't turn out so great.
IIRC Cyclops misses an entire hour of the movie after Xavier gets grabbed.

kmfdmpig

There are no good X-Men movies.

Deadpool's not bad though.

I think the X-Men movies are actually fairly good all in all:

X-Men 1 was good for its time and holds up OK.
X-Men 2 is one of the best of its era and still holds up.
X-Men 3 was a disappointment (no surprise with Rattner).
Wolverine Origins is awful
First Class is good
The Wolverine is great except for the end.
Days of Future Past is great.
X-Men Apocalypse is bad.

Top Bottom