• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

mreddie

I won't lie, the second half it was almost leaning into IM3 territory. I would say Ant-Man is better than Strange. The writing and characters in Ant-Man are stronger.

You want to hang out with the Ant-Man crew, you would tell Strange is like "Dude, quit being a smartass."

I bought a bag of Doritos and am about to play some COD. I swear this wasn't planned. I was just craving for some Doritos for some reason.
You want to hang out with the Ant-Man crew, you would tell Strange is like "Dude, quit being a smartass."
Cumberbatch was doing his best RDJ impression.

mreddie

Cwb-o1CW8AAQwqC.jpg

Marvel: Let's do an election day issue...2 weeks after the actual election!

So as someone who doesn't really keep up with comics but enjoys them every time I remember they exist I ask for some recs. for a future plane ride. (5 hours from Houston to Seattle)

My last trip I caught up on Saga and Fables. Made the trip so much fun. Both of which I have since caught up or finished. Was considering Preacher or if everything else fails just load up my kindle.

jurgen

So as someone who doesn't really keep up with comics but enjoys them every time I remember they exist I ask for some recs. for a future plane ride. (5 hours from Houston to Seattle)

My last trip I caught up on Saga and Fables. Made the trip so much fun. Both of which I have since caught up or finished. Was considering Preacher or if everything else fails just load up my kindle.

Right now, I'd recommend anything by Tom King. Vision, Omega Men, Sheriff of Babylon. His Batman run is only a few issues in but it's very accessible to new readers.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Learn your history and read Manifest Destiny!

This is the Aaron book right? I quite liked it haha. I literally had not read any previous Thanos stuff outside of what Hickman was doing with him in Now though (outside of issues of the infinity watch I read as a kid), and I remember a fair bit of unhappiness with changes/faithfulness etc. While I do admit it spins it's wheels a tad at times, overall, I really enjoyed that book. How much it veers from the stuff Starlin did etc, I have no idea, but taken in a bubble it was a super cool introduction to the character.
Turned out to be a waste of time imo despite being a fan of both Aaron and Thanos.
Yeah it's weird. Making him a creepy ass Ted Bundy motherfucker. Shit is just too much.

It always seems to come down to Cass or Steph, lol. Poor Barbara.

I'm a Cass man.
That's because Babs getting paralyzed became quite literally the best thing ever.
Blackbolt is ok I suppose.

I feel Marvel has given me no reason to care about the Inhumans.
What makes them interesting and different from the X-men?
They got their powers in an ever so slightly different way?
They aren't a rip-off/knock-off/poor-man's anything. They really aren't. Not until the Terrigen Cloud and EVEN THEN the Inhumans aren't that. The Inhumans have never been about Earth. They've always been about themselves and their grander role in the cosmic game. They were created to be an ambiguous force that no one was quite sure about. Sure, they're friends with the FF, but even the FF thinks they're shady and that's because, quite frankly, they are. They deal with their own shit and only come out to play with the other kids when it directly concerns them. They aren't superheroes.

The X-Men are superheroes and spend most of their time just trying to survive on Earth. Not playing a cosmic Game of Thrones. They deal with all sorts of dimensions and timelines and mystical shit. Persecution and the like. Inhumans deal with Inhumans. Because the Inhumans get their powers in a certain way, they have whole different kingdoms based around their own personal view of what to use the Terrigen for. One was a religious state that viewed Terrigen as completely sacred. Reader had his eyes ripped out and was seen as a heretic. Attilan uses selective gene-matching in order to create the best possible matches and bloodlines, and is ruled by the Genetic Council with the king (Black Bolt currently) to serve as its figurehead. The council has since long been disposed of. Recently it was discovered that there was another society that exiled men and rejected Terrigen because their gene pool had grown stagnant. As mutant, it's pretty much a binary scenario. Either your gene activates, your powers awaken, and you then join either a revolutionary group or a school, or you blend in. OR your gene doesn't activate, you get no powers, and you aren't considered a mutant and no one writes about you.

There's a lot of cool mythology behind the Inhumans that makes them interesting and some genuinely good stories. The problem is that they've primarily been a supporting group and Marvel doesn't know how to push them as their own right now. A politics heavy series akin to Black Panther would be the best idea, but I'm enjoying Soule's run for now. Shame All-New Inhumans had to end. That shit with the Black Spires went fucking nowhere.
DAAAAAAAAMN

Do we know what Skyspears is a reference to?

Seems like Osborne hasn't surfaced yet unless I missed something.

Skyspears was the Alll-New Inhumans crossover with Spider-Man. The book was cancelled pretty much right after. Don't think any of the ASM readers picked the book up.

Skyspears was the Alll-New Inhumans crossover with Spider-Man. The book was cancelled pretty much right after. Don't think any of the ASM readers picked the book up.
The book had four or five issues after that. The Spires seemed like they were going to be a major plot point in that book an nothing came of it in fhe end

PsychBat!

Banned
I agree that Slott understands Spidey well. My problem is that he never fleshes out story ideas to a shred of their potential and just moves onto the next "nothing will ever be the same again!" status quo shift. It's great that things are happening but it feels like empty calories.

I understand where you're coming from. But I think Slott fleshes out the story enough with the time constraints he is given and only in events whereas he's fleshing out multitude of characters in non-events he does. It doesn't feel like he's pulling shit out of his ass to advance the story because he's already had the time to set it all up. At least, I hope so.

Yeah it's weird. Making him a creepy ass Ted Bundy motherfucker. Shit is just too much.

I wonder how much the new Lemire book will take any of that stuff into account or if they'll just ignore it. As much as it's a different view on him, it didn't actually change any straight up facts about his past or anything right? It was all very "If you look at it a certain way......
he has a dead body in his bed :D"
so I guess it wouldn't be hard to ignore.

PsychBat!

Banned
The difference between Starlin's Thanos and Aaron's Thanos is that it does come from a viewpoint of the author, yes. But the difference between both is that Aaron's view of Thanos' origin is more macabre and has a tone that would make Charles Manson chuckle. While Starlin has created and fleshed out Thanos way beyond the point that show that Thanos indeed does have the sadistic traits Aaron emphasizes in his book, Thanos is so much more than that.

Thanos loves Death and he is a monstrous brute that is so powerful that it takes several Avengers teams to take him on and even then it's a struggle to do so, even if they do have a plan to bring him down. But what a lot of writers forget is that Thanos is also a genius on a cosmic level and other worldly entities are reluctant to bargain with him because he always comes out on top. He's a master manipulator and strategist and has the power and cunning to pull off his schemes, even when facing odds that are not in his favor. He and another character are outside the normal cosmic flow of the universe and they are not detectable by cosmic entities or what have you, making him (and the other character, but mainly Thanos) very unpredictable and no one has ever prevented his schemes involving universal usurpation, at least not preemptively.

These things are not showcased in Aaron's book. They show that he loves Death and wants to kill his kids and doesn't care how long it takes to achieve his goal in doing so. I mean, that's cool but it's a very small view of the Mad Titan.

The difference between Starlin's Thanos and Aaron's Thanos is that it does come from a viewpoint of the author, yes. But the difference between both is that Aaron's view of Thanos' origin is more macabre and has a tone that would make Charles Manson chuckle. While Starlin has created and fleshed out Thanos way beyond the point that show that Thanos indeed does have the sadistic traits Aaron emphasizes in his book, Thanos is so much more than that.

Thanos loves Death and he is a monstrous brute that is so powerful that it takes several Avengers teams to take him on and even then it's a struggle to do so, even if they do have a plan to bring him down. But what a lot of writers forget is that Thanos is also a genius on a cosmic level and other worldly entities are reluctant to bargain with him because he always comes out on top. He's a master manipulator and strategist and has the power and cunning to pull off his schemes, even when facing odds that are not in his favor. He and another character are outside the normal cosmic flow of the universe and they are not detectable by cosmic entities or what have you, making him (and the other character, but mainly Thanos) very unpredictable and no one has ever prevented his schemes involving universal usurpation, at least not preemptively.

These things are not showcased in Aaron's book. They show that he loves Death and wants to kill his kids and doesn't care how long it takes to achieve his goal in doing so. I mean, that's cool but it's a very small view of the Mad Titan.

Haha yes, this is the kind of thing I'm remembering from when it came out. I obviously don't disagree because I haven't read enough previous stuff with him in it to be a judge, I can only really take it as it's presented: here is his origin story, this is what makes him tick, or at least what got him going. It probably is a very small view on him, but as this character centric thing, I thought it was an interesting idea that Aaron presents then tests in different ways to see how flexible it is: how legit Thanos' beliefs are, how crazy he is versus sane, how right he is versus wrong etc and it's engaging to see him waver back and forth himself as a character, morally, mentally, you can't help feel bad for his lot in life that lead him down the path. I suppose it is pretty dark haha.

I guess I just read it and not one thought about Thanos' previous outing crossed my mind, it was just "I like Jason Aaron's writing style, the art is pretty cool, let's give this a whirl" and it turned out as a cool little mini series. I think when you have those continuity and previous characterisation straps removed the book is pretty good.

I just really like Aaron's writing too though, I think at this point he could find a twist on writing about a wet paper bag that might interest me haha

TheFlow

Banned

5 hour trip? You need some substance. So lean towards some of the image titles.

Easy by west
Deadly class
Walking dead

Stuff like that

TheFlow

Banned
Echo said that Star Trek was better than the last X-men movie. he was right.

Star trek beyond was a return to greatness after into the darkness.

also that climax scene is space is classic 90s.

TheFlow

Banned
Vision #12

solid final issue. ties up everything, but doesn't blow me away like the last issue. Overall King did a great job of making Vision interesting to read for 12 issues but I am glad it is over. On to better things.

4/5

Roman

That's because Babs getting paralyzed became quite literally the best thing ever.

While I do like the classic lineup of Cass-Batgirl, Barbara-Oracle and Steph-Spoiler I feel it would be very interesting to see Cassandra break out as the batfamily's definitively best martial artist and move on from the Batgirl nomenclature. She has been under Bruce's shadow for too long.

A storyline akin to what they have been doing with Barbara post-Rebirth would have been more fitting witih Cass in my opinion. She would need a new name too - I don't mind Black Bat too much, but Orphan sounds rather edgelord-ish.

Then it would be time for Steph to become either Batgirl or Robin (I'm clearly biased on this).

Mostly I want to point out I haven't enjoyed Barbara-Batgirl at all in recent years, and that's still something Rebirth should fix in my eyes, with different writers. It's time for a new direction. Her book is among the worst selling batbooks currently so I don't think this notion is misguided.

I don't know who sprinkled liberal doses of descent and ace combat in my CoD, but i sure likes it.

Also sidequests, configurable loadouts and equipment upgrades. Gad Damn, never thought id see the day.

Also Kit Harrington is way too midgety to be a threatening villain.

Vision #12

solid final issue. ties up everything, but doesn't blow me away like the last issue. Overall King did a great job of making Vision interesting to read for 12 issues but I am glad it is over. On to better things.

4/5

Lol

There are literally no better things than the vision. It's an actual masterpiece.

I went to my parents house this weekend for my dad's birthday after not going back in years and I've been looking through my old shit and just finding like...all my old comic stuff. My original Deadpool series 1-69 or whenever, old Claremont X-men issues like the Dark Phoenix saga or his Wolverine limited or stuff like Sauron's first appearance, my old Spiderman comics when MacFarlane was on art or the Carnage saga or even in a nice sealed box my copy of The Lizard's first appearance. And all my nerdy posters like Wizard's Top 100 Villains or...a Cloak and Dagger poster? My collection of Marvel Trading Cards from 87 to like 93, full sets each year. God, that's only the top layer of stuff. I have first Issues of Spawn, Gen 13, some Wildstorm stuff, Death of Superman, Return of Superman, the Amano drawn Wolverine limited.

It's like nerd archaeology. I gotta excavate further.

Edit: Oh holy shit a Teddy Ruxpin.

I went to my parents house this weekend for my dad's birthday after not going back in years and I've been looking through my old shit and just finding like...all my old comic stuff. My original Deadpool series 1-69 or whenever, old Claremont X-men issues like the Dark Phoenix saga or his Wolverine limited or stuff like Sauron's first appearance, my old Spiderman comics when MacFarlane was on art or the Carnage saga or even in a nice sealed box my copy of The Lizard's first appearance. And all my nerdy posters like Wizard's Top 100 Villains or...a Cloak and Dagger poster? My collection of Marvel Trading Cards from 87 to like 93, full sets each year. God, that's only the top layer of stuff. I have first Issues of Spawn, Gen 13, some Wildstorm stuff, Death of Superman, Return of Superman, the Amano drawn Wolverine limited.

It's like nerd archaeology. I gotta excavate further.
Take pictures! Always fun to see old stuff.

Top Bottom